• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finished, everything went smoothly. Thanks as always

Brilliant. I recall the transition to B9S as being trivial. To the point that it took significantly longer to read the instructions and download the tools than it did to actually make the switch.

I just installed HomebrewLauncher with ninjahax 2.9 on my 11.5.0.38 system. Can anyone please confirm if Dragon Quest XI is region-free using HANS? If not, what are my options?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just ordered a Sky3DS with a skydock, mainly do so I can save money by buying games from any region I want and having them all on one cart. I'm also keen to play some retro games that I can't get on VC in emulators.

Outside of these uses, is there anything else worth checking out? Back when I was a povo uni student I had a DS with an R4 cartridge. I used that thing for games, music, movies and reading on the go, or web browsing in bed (this was pre-smart phone/tablet, kids). The R4 turned the DS in to a useful, well-rounded little device.

Installing Luma as a CFW is a much cheaper option if you're on 11.4 and below. Cheaper as in "completely free", and it gets you region free for both retail and dumped games.

I just installed HomebrewLauncher with ninjahax 2.9 on my 11.5.0.38 system. Can anyone please confirm if Dragon Quest XI is region-free using HANS? If not, what are my options?
Not sure about your setup.

But you'd do well to modernize your setup to use boot9strap, it does away with HANS, everything is region free through Luma.

GLAMr

Installing Luma as a CFW is a much cheaper option if you're on 11.4 and below. Cheaper as in "completely free", and it gets you region free for both retail and dumped games.
I'm on 11.5. I was originally looking into CFW, but it seems like a lot of work.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm on 11.5. I was originally looking into CFW, but it seems like a lot of work.

Oh. Well, if that's the case, be careful when you're using your flashcart online. Playing online with a public header is a surefire way to get yourself banned in no time.

FSLink

Banned
What's the most up to date guide on extracting VC game saves to use in emulators?

Main use of this I want to do is be able to play say, Pokemon Yellow on VC, then be able to extract the save and import it into an emulator or inject it into my actual cart and continue where I left of, and be able to inject the save back into the VC version.

Is the best method still using JKSV to export and import (and renaming the .sav to a .dat when importing)?

What's the most up to date guide on extracting VC game saves to use in emulators?

Main use of this I want to do is be able to play say, Pokemon Yellow on VC, then be able to extract the save and import it into an emulator or inject it into my actual cart and continue where I left of, and be able to inject the save back into the VC version.

Is the best method still using JKSV to export and import (and renaming the .sav to a .dat when importing)?
JKSV extracts everything fine, just be aware that some emulators change a few lines of the savefile so it no longer reads on the 3DS (throws out a corrupted message, deletes save and settings). A VC or real cart RGBY save is 32,768 bytes, one modified by VBA or Retroarch is 32,784 or more. You will have to modify it with a hex editor, but I don't know which lines you need to change. Personally I'm fine with just sending stuff between the real hardware via Retron 5 and the 3DS, never enjoyed playing the original games with a keyboard or controller anyway.

PKHeX doesn't modify the size so that's fine to use if you just want to check the save before you send it over to a real cart.

Anyone have experiences with the new 2DS LL? I mostly want to CFW for region free (I'm in Japan, have an older 3DSXL and would like to upgrade, but still play my NA region carts every now and then.)

Is it as simple as adding CFW and changing some settings? or is it a whole app and what not involved. Also similar question for SNES emulation. If it is easier/no real benifit for upgrading to a new console then I might just attempt this on my old one.
For those who noticed I'm basically asking you guys to talk me out of spending extra money on a new handheld haha

I've done it with Game Gear saves. Should be similar for GB saves. Shout if you need help.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-move-save-game-from-emulator-to-3ds-vc-game-gear.476473/

How do I check which version of b9s I have?
You can't. I asked them to add a way and they mocked me. I still believe there should be a way.

https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/issues/16

LOL for real?!?!

So um... can someone advise on what I should do?

I don't remember if I ever updated my B9S, but I am definitely on B9S and NOT AL9H or whatever it's called.

I used Luma Updater and was able to get it to update to 8.1.1 with no issues.

I'm just trying to make sure I have everything set up to the point where I can update the 3DS firmware safely.

Robin64

LOL for real?!?!

So um... can someone advise on what I should do?

I don't remember if I ever updated my B9S, but I am definitely on B9S and NOT AL9H or whatever it's called.

I used Luma Updater and was able to get it to update to 8.1.1 with no issues.

I'm just trying to make sure I have everything set up to the point where I can update the 3DS firmware safely.

If Luma 8.x is working, you are on the latest B9S, so you're good to go.

LQX

Question: I have a New 3DS with firmware 11.0.0-33u. I have been thinking of putting Homebrew on it but I also want to play actuall games from carts with higher firmwares. My new Yoshi game wont work without an update and it will also most likely be the case with the new Metroid coming out. So once I Homebew it is it possible to then unlock higher firmware games and keep the lower firmware for Homebrew?

Also, what is the current best method for getting Homebrew on my 11.0.0-33u 3DS for the two things mentioned above?

Question: I have a New 3DS with firmware 11.0.0-33u. I have been thinking of putting Homebrew on it but I also want to play actuall games from carts with higher firmwares. My new Yoshi game wont work without an update and it will also most likely be the case with the new Metroid coming out. So once I Homebew it is it possible to then unlock higher firmware games and keep the lower firmware for Homebrew?

Also, what is the current best method for getting Homebrew on my 11.0.0-33u 3DS for the two things mentioned above?
Once you install Custom Firmware (you call this homebrew, but you mean CFW which allows homebrew) you can update to the latest version of the system software for everything.

Do it http://3ds.guide

Quick question: Is it safe to update to 11.5? I'm currently up to date un Luma

Yes, as mentioned just above, once you have an up to date Luma setup (8.x) you are safe to update to 11.5.0-X and probably above. B9S executes just after boot ROM which doesn't upgrade, and Luma prevents B9S overwriting, which makes completely screwing up a system with such a setup pretty hard.

I have a new3dsxl on firmware 9.6.0. The homebrew wiki says browserhack is not recommanded, and I do have a copy of sticker star, should I use that instead? What's the difference?

I have a new3dsxl on firmware 9.6.0. The homebrew wiki says browserhack is not recommanded, and I do have a copy of sticker star, should I use that instead? What's the difference?

There's not a ton of difference, but you should try the non browserhax method. It's just less trial and error that way. Just follow 3ds.guide and go step by step.

RIP RPG Player hax. Which means access to a ntrhax compatible DS flashcard that runs on an 11.5 3DS is the only primary CFW entry point again on fully updated systems.

Boogiepop

Okay, so, I'm planning on playing Monster Hunter XX with my friends, but one doesn't have a Switch, so needs to hack his 3DS to break around the region lock. Turns out he's on 11.5 though, so from what I'm reading into it, he'd need either a second, homebrewed 3ds to use to kickstart the process on his, or a flashcart. That said, I have an old original model 3ds that has sat untouched since the new3DS XL came out in the US and I transferred everything to that. So the firmware there should be old enough to easily hack that, yeah?

My big question, though, is that in reading the guide, it mentions formatting the target 3DS and all that. So... that'd kill all my friend's data on the system, right? Is there a way around that/a way to restore stuff? The ideal process here in my mind is that he ends up with his own 3DS homebrewed (and then can also apply the English patch and transfer over his Generations save, at least from what I've heard, as a bonus), though I guess if it's not possible, I could homebrew the old 3DS of mine and let him just borrow that for a while while we play...

Okay, so, I'm planning on playing Monster Hunter XX with my friends, but one doesn't have a Switch, so needs to hack his 3DS to break around the region lock. Turns out he's on 11.5 though, so from what I'm reading into it, he'd need either a second, homebrewed 3ds to use to kickstart the process on his, or a flashcart. That said, I have an old original model 3ds that has sat untouched since the new3DS XL came out in the US and I transferred everything to that. So the firmware there should be old enough to easily hack that, yeah?

My big question, though, is that in reading the guide, it mentions formatting the target 3DS and all that. So... that'd kill all my friend's data on the system, right? Is there a way around that/a way to restore stuff? The ideal process here in my mind is that he ends up with his own 3DS homebrewed (and then can also apply the English patch and transfer over his Generations save, at least from what I've heard, as a bonus), though I guess if it's not possible, I could homebrew the old 3DS of mine and let him just borrow that for a while while we play...

There is but you'd need a 3rd 3DS and a week (do a system transfer from your friends 3DS to the 3rd one then back after you hack it). If there's nothing important in the 3DS you were going to use as a bootstrap you could use it instead of a 3rd too, hack it, system transfer to it, wait a week, set it up to hack a system, transfer back, hack new system.

Boogiepop

Letting him play for a while on an easily hacked system is definitely less of a headache.

There is but you'd need a 3rd 3DS and a week (do a system transfer from your friends 3DS to the 3rd one then back after you hack it). If there's nothing important in the 3DS you were going to use as a bootstrap you could use it instead of a 3rd too, hack it, system transfer to it, wait a week, set it up to hack a system, transfer back, hack new system.

Got it, thanks guys.

Hey guys.

I've preordered the SNES edition of the New 3DS XL. What are the chances I'll be able to install CFW on it down the line?

Soldering is out of the question (and using an already hacked 3DS probably too because I don't know anyone with one). I'm in no rush at all but probably won't make the purchase if I can't turn it into an emulation machine someday.

Hey guys.

I've preordered the SNES edition of the New 3DS XL. What are the chances I'll be able to install CFW on it down the line?

Soldering is out of the question (and using an already hacked 3DS probably too because I don't know anyone with one). I'm in no rush at all but probably won't make the purchase if I can't turn it into an emulation machine someday.

A cheap DS flash cart that can be flashed with ntrhax and you're good to go. Keep an eye on the Guide for what flash cards are compatibles and which run on an 11.5 3DS (or you can use a NDS if you have one).

Boogiepop

So, to follow up on my earlier post, I'm trying run the soundhax thing on my old 3DS (was on 9.9 or something) following the guide. I've hit the step where I need to actually play the "<3 nedwill 2016" file on the system, and... this is taking a LOT of tries. To be fair, the guide says "this may take many tries", but I'm not sure where the limit of thinking I need to troubleshoot everything with a finetooth comb is.

For reference, it continuously breaks with a "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart." I've also gotten plenty of times where the upper screen flashes red and/or green, so something's happening, but... like, is "many times" supposed to be, like, more ten times, or is my 100 or so tries now as I'm trying to look into this a sign that's something's off and this isn't working?

Edit: Never mind, looks like I fell into a common trap of windows doubling down on an extension name in renaming a file. Problem solved!

So, to follow up on my earlier post, I'm trying run the soundhax thing on my old 3DS (was on 9.9 or something) following the guide. I've hit the step where I need to actually play the "<3 nedwill 2016" file on the system, and... this is taking a LOT of tries. To be fair, the guide says "this may take many tries", but I'm not sure where the limit of thinking I need to troubleshoot everything with a finetooth comb is.

For reference, it continuously breaks with a "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart." I've also gotten plenty of times where the upper screen flashes red and/or green, so something's happening, but... like, is "many times" supposed to be, like, more ten times, or is my 100 or so tries now as I'm trying to look into this a sign that's something's off and this isn't working?
Did you update with a game cart? I think somebody said that breaks soundhax. I'd use one of the browser entrypoints on that firmware if you have one.

Boogiepop

Did you update with a game cart? I think somebody said that breaks soundhax. I'd use one of the browser entrypoints on that firmware if you have one.

Ah, already got it and edited that into my last post, but it turns out it was in issue with renaming giving a file two ".bin" extensions in a row. It's fixed now, and I'm actually fully through the process. So all that's left is just figuring out the necessary patches, and then handing it off to my friend!

BigBrotherT

Neo Member
A cheap DS flash cart that can be flashed with ntrhax and you're good to go. Keep an eye on the Guide for what flash cards are compatibles and which run on an 11.5 3DS (or you can use a NDS if you have one).

I'm on FW 11.5.0 and I've got a R4i Gold 3DS (RTS) card which is on the compatibility list - but I've had no luck following the guide.

I put the relevant ntrboothack flasher file on the SD card and try to run it, and sometimes I get a white screen, followed my minutes of nothingness.

Does the SD Card need to be structured in certain way? A certain format? Certain size?
I'm just putting the ntrboothack flasher file in the root directory, with nothing else on the SD Card

Top Bottom