• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition |OT| Relax, Pretend It's A Game

cj_iwakura

Maybe it'll even be fun!

1iymBiB.png

• Developer: Digital Pictures (OG) / Screaming Villains (Updates)
  • Publisher: Screaming Villains
  • Platforms: PS4 & PC (XB1 eventually)
  • Genre: FMV
  • Price: $14.99 (PS4/Steam)
  • Release Date: 8/15/17 (PSN/Steam)

CxhLwV3.png

Welcome to the Lake Shore Winery House of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Martin. A quiet retreat... and the scene of the crime for countless missing victims.
The Special Control Attack Team has been assembled to find out what happened to these victims, and prevent the same fate from befalling a new group of visitors.

Take control of an elaborate series of hidden cameras and secret traps to protect the visiting girls... or die trying.

Kfd4OdL.png

In Night Trap, gameplay unfolds with over 1 and 1/2 hours of full motion video occurring in real time. Eight rooms, eight different camera feeds.
To protect the Martins' guests from whatever happened to the last ones, you have to both keep the number of intruders to a minimum, and protect the visitors from any harm that can befall them.

Also, anyone who lives at the residence can change the Trap Access Code at any time, so be vigilante.
If anyone dies, the intruders overrun the residence, or if the Martins cut your access, you lose control. For good.

Timing is key.

Y659qvA.png

The Operatives
kellimead.png

Kelli Mead, one of the Special Control Team's best undercover operatives. She's infiltrated the house to find out what's going on.

simms.png

Commander Simms, the guy in charge. Will be the one who pulls the plug.

collins.png

Collins, another undercover operative. Have you seen his boat?

The Guests
lisa.png

Lisa, probably the most familiar face in the game.

ashley.png

Ashley. Reminds someone of someone else from long ago.

cindy.png

Cindy. She's been looking forward to this all week.

megan.png

Megan. This isn't gonna work, you're not scaring her.

danny.png

Danny, Lisa's younger brother. The only reason she brought him along is because mom made her.

The Residents
sarahmartin.png

Sarah Martin, the daughter of the Martins who invites her friends for a weekend getaway.

jeffmartin.png

Jeff Martin, Sarah's brother. Designer of the trap system.

tony.png

Tony Martin, Sarah and Jeff's cousin. Obsessed with someone named Madeline.

victorandsheilamartin.png

Victor and Sheila Martin, the heads of the family. Heading out for a delivery.

weirdeddie.png

Weird Eddie, one of the neighbors. He's really wigged out.

The Intruders

auger.png

Augers. They're after the guests. Why? Don't aspire to find out. Capture them on sight.

7mdt83X.png

Although the original film footage(from 1987!) seems to have been lost, NT25 is based off the next best thing: master tapes.

Sega CD Version
nighttrap-segacd.jpg

3DO Version
nighttrap-3do.jpg

PC Version
nighttrap-pc-14.jpg

Comparison

25th Anniversary Edition

night-trap-screen-09.jpg

night-trap-screen-10.jpg

night-trap-pic-01.jpg

night-trap-pic-04.jpg

Announcement Trailer
Theater Mode Trailer
Survivor Mode Trailer
Deleted Scene Trailer (SPOILERS)
Night Trap: 25 Years Later Documentary

trTQJBF.png

Are there any reviews?
Not that I could find, apart from the one linked above.

Can I get a physical edition?
Not anymore, the LRG one is long gone. But you can try Ebay.

Doesn't this game suck!?
No, but thanks for sharing.

Why isn't it on [X]?!
The dev is trying. I don't suggest port begging.

Can't we just play this on youtube?
No.

What does this version have besides updated visuals?
Deleted scenes reworked into the game, a theater mode, a survivor mode, and the unreleased 'Scene of the Crime' prototype, as well as the Night Trap: 25 Years Later documentary.

Special Thanks: James Riley, Tom Zito, Digital Pictures(or what's left of them), Screaming Villains for making this happen, and anyone who still likes FMV games 25 years later.

Use the traps, control!

We're going in.

nighttrap-pc-12.png

Mm, cherry popsicles.

Hilarious that this got re-released, but it's probably easy money.

One of the two games (Mortal Kombat being the other) that forced the creation of the ESRB ratings system.

Zenner

Delayed release for the Xbox One? What's that all about? :'(

Will the Xbox be getting the physical disc, as well?

I rented a Sega CD system (it was like 50 bux for the weekend!) to try this out, back in the day. Can't wait to get at it again!
but apparently have to, Xbox oh noes.

//ARCANUM

I was around and gaming when this came out, but it was a bit too mature for my tastes at the time so I never tried it. Looking forward to finally checking it out 25 years later.

(I even had a SEGA CD 32x lol)

DZ_b_EZ

I bought the LRG version for PC. I didn't even know they were going to sell a physical PC version. I was fucking stoked. It sucks I have to wait until I get it in the mail to play.

border

This has to be the weirdest and most unlikely anniversary re-release ever.

I remember playing the game on SegaCD and not having a great deal of fun with it. It's sort of trial-and-error gameplay where you end up watching the same scenes and sequences many times over as a result of your errors. Plus it had the general sort of wonky timing issues that I associate with FMV games.

I hope this leads to other FMV titles getting cleaned up and re-released though.

Justinh

I bought the LRG version for PC. I didn't even know they were going to sell a physical PC version. I was fucking stoked. It sucks I have to wait until I get it in the mail to play.

I think they'll email a steam code when it releases.
edit: From the store's page on Limited Run Games:
Purchase price includes a Steam key, which will be emailed near the game's digital release on Tuesday, August 15th.

I ordered a PC copy and a PS4 copy. Looking forward to trying it again. Not anticipating it being any fun after briefly watching Game Grumps play it for a bit, though.

I got to play it once when I was a kid at a friend's (the friend who had everything) since he had a Sega CD. I don't think we were allowed to play it after that sleepover lol. I always wanted to try playing it again, but not enough to actually buy a Genesis and a Sega CD (I should get a Genesis, though)...

Never played the original but I ordered the PS4 CE cause it looks like a cult classic that should always be remembered. No matter if it's good or bad.

So I can't wait to try it when my copy comes! Whenever it does.

The Night Trap: 25 Years Later documentary is really well done and covers the interesting development of the game going back to the original proposed VHS console that Hasbro was developing. My Life in Gaming did a fantastic job with it.

Also, NIght Trap: Dangerous Games is a neat little documentary that was made in 1995 is worth a watch. It has a lot of behind the scenes stuff and covers the 1993 Violent Video game hearings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkJw_hVhyI

And no screenshots from the 32x CD version? It is the best version of the original releases.

Hesh

Looking forward to this. Would have liked to get a physical copy, too bad the scalper scumbags got them (like always).

Anyone know where the EU version is? Is this a minor delay or a CSGO-style no-show until the end of time?

Edit - according to a commenter in the PS EU blog (so take with a pinch of salt) the EU version is delayed until mid September because the developer is adding various European language options.

Tapejara

Delayed release for the Xbox One? What's that all about? :'(

Will the Xbox be getting the physical disc, as well?

I rented a Sega CD system (it was like 50 bux for the weekend!) to try this out, back in the day. Can't wait to get at it again!
but apparently have to, Xbox oh noes.

If there is a physical Xbox One version, it likely won't be through LimitedRunGames due to Microsoft's high minimum print requirement for physical games. Even if Screaming Villain were to consider another publisher/distributor for the Xbox One version, it's possible doing a physical run might not be worth it due to the aforementioned requirement (see also: Shovel Knight's physical Xbox One version being cancelled).

ranmafan

This is going to be a blast playing this again after so many years. I still remember enjoying it so much when I rented it along with a sega cd from blockbuster just before they pulled the copies from the shelves originally. Then years later picking up a mac version that sadly never could work on my mac for some reason. Now I'll finally have a copy I can play for sure of my own. Can't wait to enjoy all the extras and all. Love the work that's been shown put into the release that makes it an even more special release. Hope my copy arrives soon. Can't wait to get it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone know where the EU version is? Is this a minor delay or a CSGO-style no-show until the end of time?

Edit - according to a commenter in the PS EU blog (so take with a pinch of salt) the EU version is delayed until mid September because the developer is adding various European language options.

Ffs. US store then I guess

MetalSlug

Need to wait 5 hours until it's released on Steam.

Will play through Sonic Mania on the Switch in the meantime.

Huh, this released earlier than I remember. A nice surprise, bought. :D

This'll be my first time playing this game although I'm well aware of what to expect.

dan2026

So is this game actually gory and violent?
I have never played it, but I kind of assume its like Phantasmagoria.

I know I won't be buying this but I'm kinda glad it exists. I have fond memories of renting this alongside Sewer Shark. Never got very far but I was amazed by the video.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game seems associated mostly with sega cd but according to DF Retro the 32x version was better. Pretty neat.

MetalSlug

Going to give up on Sonic Mania for a while and play Night Trap. I got tired of dying all on the time on the most difficult boss I have ever seen in a Sonic game.

cj_iwakura

So is this game actually gory and violent?
I have never played it, but I kind of assume its like Phantasmagoria.
It can get pretty intense near the end, turns into a chaotic thriller. The most violent thing you see is the corpse in the closet, really.

Top Bottom