• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Ascension (Video) - Giants, demons, flamethrower, horseback-riding

Have you played the game? All the impressions from the OT say the whole "protect her" meme wasn't accurate whatsoever, that she becomes a killing machine and not "vulnerable" or anything. You've got an avatar of Lara so I'm assuming you did play it? But it doesn't sound like you did.

Yep so this. Lara is actually a fucking likable character.
I'm really happy that:
a) Community Feedback was listened to and not ignored; making for a great new start to Lara.
b) There was a lot more depth to the game that the sexist crap being spouted before it was released.

The PR exercise before this game should be a fucking case study in what not to do and why you need a strong 'line' and handle of things. Didn't reflect the quality in the game.

Lara in no way needed protecting; we're actively shown through another character that shes no fool either.
Good stuff.

Hopefully in the sequel we see them expand on a lot of what has been created. They should just call it Lara Croft; reverting back to Tomb Raider always struck me as a bit silly. Not like one name is more recognisable than the other.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway this is obviously very early conceptual stuff. Heavily influenced by Zelda I'd suggest.
They then likely tried a more Linear game then decided to work on melding the two together.

well IIRC the devs said the next game may have supernatural elements, I am not to sure about that though.

Anyway they are probably working on TR2 for next gen, so if I had to guess I would say we may get a similar supernatural dose.

Kinyou

I'm not sure if Tomb Raider fans would have really liked this more than the current one. Doesn't seem to be much about puzzle solving either.

I'm not sure if Tomb Raider fans would have really liked this more than the current one. Doesn't seem to be much about puzzle solving either.

It looks more dungeon based, which is probably where the 'Tombs' in the final game came from; if in a much more simple form.

baphomet

So is this what Core was working on before Crystal Dynamics took over? I'm glad we got what we did instead of fighting off monsters and shit.

Kinyou

carrxyzxh.gif

It looks more dungeon based, which is probably where the 'Tombs' in the final game came from; if in a much more simple form.
That could be. To me it just looked very combat and open world focused.

The platforming demo part looks about a billion times better, though
What's weird is that many animations look actually better.

God this is depressing. I prefer they ripped off Ico/Shadow of The Colossus than Bore-charted! This is coming from a hardcore Playstation fan. Remember when the TR series was PS exclusive? We gave that up for Mr. Shit-Eating Grin aka Nathan Drake.

EDIT:

Menacing Carrot has to be a super secret hidden boss/costume in the next game. Make it go viral, spread it around.

Poor Gorilla :(

Video probably has better platforming than the actual game we got

Triangle jumping and horse platforming, sword and gun combat - all of it looks cool as hell.

There were a lot of decisions made that would have given us basically what we got anyway of course. That's the real problem, though I like this concept a lot more than what we got.

Also:

has more character than anyone in the entire game we got.

carrxyzxh.gif

That could be. To me it just looked very combat and open world focused.

What's weird is that many animations look actually better.

I think I agree. And Stalker Carrot is like the most disturbing thing ever.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Suprised at all the negativity about TR in this thread. Loved the old ones, really like the new one (although human enemies are a let down, but thankfully it's not shoot-out after shoot-out and the shooting sections really are short) and would love to have seen this happening.
That was the case in, for example, TR1 too, but instead of hundreds of armed goons, you fought a handful of wild animals, leaving supernatural stuff at the end of the journey.
You mean like the Dinosaurs in the 1st level?
But Dinosaurs still exist, Verne said so!

Symphonic

I remember when the concept art from this leaked a couple days ago. Was super excited for an open island, supernatural horror Tomb Raider. Oh well.

ironcreed

Banned
Would buy, but still absolutely loved what we got. Something like this released as DLC or an expansion would be fantastic.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Ya thank god they didn't dare ripoff a PS2 classic that people consider one of the best video games of all time and instead went for the safe dudebro Uncharted clone.
I'm guessing we're playing a different game. :p

Shinta

Banned
It's obviously in a much rougher state, but I'm still glad they abandoned this. The new game is so, so, soooooooooooooo much better.

colt45joe

Banned
well... they can still do some of this stuff for the sequel, eh?
I Really like these crystal dynamic people. they seem capable of good stuff

It's obviously in a much rougher state, but I'm still glad they abandoned this. The new game is so, so, soooooooooooooo much better.

What do you dislike about this concept? I'd agree it's a tad sillier (especially the kid), but what is superior about the not-pulp-enough concept they went with? Honestly curious, this may be a big reason we don't see eye to eye on the reboot we got.

They could, but the people have spoken. Gunfights, xp, upgrades, and setpieces dialed up to 11 is my guess.

I'm actually not a fan of SotC, but I'd prefer copying that to copying various more popular series. The parts of the reboot I enjoyed the most were the parts that were open-world flavored, I think with actual challenging platforming and broader enemy encounter variety it could work for me.

I wouldn't hold my breath for deep puzzles either way.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its easy to enjoy concept art when you can't actually play it. I would have preferred the stuck with the same concept the current game has, only a much heavier emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving and a large reduction in combat instances.

UrbanRats

They could, but the people have spoken. Gunfights, xp, upgrades, and setpieces dialed up to 11 is my guess.

Yeah, the series (the way i loved it) is basically dead to me.
However solid what we got actually is, is basically the opposite direction of what i was expecting from a TR evolution.

Also this concept took some elements from SotC, but unless you guys skipped the first half of the video, there was a lot more stuff here, including shooting monsters and platforming with a companion (the kid).
Though you could say they moved their inspiration from SotC to Uncharted, which is a sad thing, for me.
Not that this looked like my perfect TR incarnation, but still miles better in concept than what we got.

Poona

God this is depressing. I prefer they ripped off Ico/Shadow of The Colossus than Bore-charted! This is coming from a hardcore Playstation fan. Remember when the TR series was PS exclusive? We gave that up for Mr. Shit-Eating Grin aka Nathan Drake.

PS exclusive? I recall playing the first title on its release on my PC (I was even able to take advantage of the patch created for Rendition Verite graphic cards - still remember that water using that graphics card, probably what really made me love the game.)

Anyway would have been interesting to see the game that would have eventuated with Lara having a monkey and a horse.

Top Bottom