• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

So I am thinking no new iPads until at least late 2017. No reason to update the 9.7 inch model and leave the others untouched.

So what is a better (a) 12 inch MacBook 1.3GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD ?
Or (b) 13 inch Touch Bar MBP 3.1GHz, 16GB, 256 SSD?

(a) is 2LBS and more portable but may be updated soon.
(b) has a touch bar, is faster and weights 3LBS.

Which one should I buy? Most of the time I may not notice the speed difference.

So I am thinking no new iPads until at least late 2017. No reason to update the 9.7 inch model and leave the others untouched.

So what is a better (a) 12 inch MacBook 1.3GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD ?
Or (b) 13 inch Touch Bar MBP 3.1GHz, 16GB, 256 SSD?

(a) is 2LBS and more portable but may be updated soon.
(b) has a touch bar, is faster and weights 3LBS.

Which one should I buy? Most of the time I may not notice the speed difference.

Maybe a possible actual event in April? I'm just grasping at straws here

Anyway, what are you using the computer for? I have that 13", using it right now

Deku Tree

Maybe a possible actual event in April? I'm just grasping at straws here

Anyway, what are you using the computer for? I have that 13", using it right now

I use it mainly for writing, plus normal stuff web email office video chat.

How do you like the 13" with Touch Bar? How is the Touch Bar?

I use it mainly for writing, plus normal stuff web email office video chat.

How do you like the 13" with Touch Bar? How is the Touch Bar?

I like it a lot! I got this model not out of a need for the Touch Bar (though it's fine. Not revolutionary but fine) but out of a strong desire for TouchID, which is obviously great

kennah

Not really, but I appreciate the ones that do. It also uses touchId for the normal stuff: logging in, installing apps instead of your admin password, viewing keychain, etc

There's a 13" with four ports
Not on the refurb store. And if I buy it new then it's only $200 less than the 15". So pretty pointless

Deku Tree

Not on the refurb store. And if I buy it new then it's only $200 less than the 15". So pretty pointless

The cheapest TouchBar 13 is $1799 with four USBc ports
The cheapest TouchBar 15 is $2399 with four USBc ports

Not sure where you see only a $200 difference.

kennah

I was actually looking at the refurburshed 13". Is the non-touch bar MBP any good or at least worth the 1600?

Non-TB is essentially a MacBook Air (same class of CPU) except thinner, lighter, and with a far, far, far better Retina screen. And comes in that sexy space grey. If all those things appeal to you, go for it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Non-TB is essentially a MacBook Air (same class of CPU) except thinner, lighter, and with a far, far, far better Retina screen. And comes in that sexy space grey. If all those things appeal to you, go for it
Well, there's also a 2015 Macbook Air for around the same price:
http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...nch-macbook-air-22ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

It has an i7 and perhaps more important to me, 512 gb instead of 256 gb ssd... but I don't really know what the difference is between the processors and the graphics card.

I'm also not sure if the keyboard is worse, because I heard that newer Macs switched to different kinds of buttons but that they fixed it in the 2016 models? lol

Edit: here's the Air:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colours
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Here's the MBP:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display
Originally released October 2016
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560x1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD1
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics 540

kennah

I was looking up specs and benches on both of those. The 2.0 i5 is actually faster and has a better GPU. Don't get the Air.

Deku Tree

Ok I have a question from a specs point of view. Look at this MacBook:

12-inch MacBook 256GB - Space Gray
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core m7, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage

I guess there is a good chance that Apple will give this at least a spec bump sometime before WWDC or at WWDC.

So my question is what is the chip that is gonna be available to put into this machine for a spec bump? And is the available chip upgrade worth waiting for?

I kind like that this machine doesn't need to have a fan in it, and that it gets better battery life than the 13 MBP.

Ok I have a question from a specs point of view. Look at this MacBook:

12-inch MacBook 256GB - Space Gray
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core m7, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage

I guess there is a good chance that Apple will give this at least a spec bump sometime before WWDC or at WWDC.

So my question is what is the chip that is gonna be available to put into this machine for a spec bump? And is the available chip upgrade worth waiting for?

I kind like that this machine doesn't need to have a fan in it, and that it gets better battery life than the 13 MBP.

The Kaby Lake equivalent chip is the core i7 7Y75

http://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-m7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Deku Tree

Thanks! I also found a description of the possible kaby lake processor on the MacBook section of the MacRumors web site.

Potential upgrades seem minimal.

I just checked out both computers at the Apple Store.

I think that I'm gonna go with the 2.9GHz 13 MBP with TB and 16GB ram. The Touch Bar seemed fun to use even if it is a gimmick. And the new SSDs are really fast.

Seems like the faster processor options in the 13 MBP will only offer marginal improvements too even long term.

VPhys

Well, there's also a 2015 Macbook Air for around the same price:
http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...nch-macbook-air-22ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

It has an i7 and perhaps more important to me, 512 gb instead of 256 gb ssd... but I don't really know what the difference is between the processors and the graphics card.

I'm also not sure if the keyboard is worse, because I heard that newer Macs switched to different kinds of buttons but that they fixed it in the 2016 models? lol

Edit: here's the Air:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colours
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Here's the MBP:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display
Originally released October 2016
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560x1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD1
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics 540

Screen trumps all of that. It's what you are LOOKING at 100% of the time.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So after learning that the wife has never played a "The Sims" title, I'm tempted to pick up The Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store for us to play together.

I was thinking of connecting my Macbook Pro to my television so we don't have to huddle around a computer. What's the latency like on an Apple TV mirroring a Macbook Pro? Pretty quick or is there a few seconds of lag? I'm debating between picking up an Apple TV and picking up a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Edit: Also, does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is on the Macbook Pro? Sometimes I open the lid on my MBP but it refuses to wake. Only when I pick it up from the surface (usually to walk it over to where the charger is) does it start up. I'm thinking there's something obscuring the light sensor making the computer think it's still closed until I pick it up.

mollipen

Since this seems to be the "should I buy this laptop" page, I want to throw my situation in. I just noticed that on the Apple refurbs page they have the this model up for $2209:

15.4" MacBook Pro with touch bar, 2.6GHz, 256GB SSD, Radeon 460

I know this latest refresh of the MBP came off as "meh" when it was revealed, but what's the opinion now? The standard price for that machine would be $2599, so that seems to me like a point where the lower price can help justify the lack of "sexiness" to the hardware—but maybe I'm wrong on that.

What I want to do with the machine is basic stuff, Adobe CS6, some audio & video editing, and play a few games like WoW or The Sims 3 or other random things. (I'm a console person though, so I'm not looking this to be a serious gaming device.) For comparison, I'm typing this on my 2010 MBP that has a track pad that won't register clicks anymore—and it currently does most of what I want beyond the gaming, even if it's slow at doing those things sometimes and loves getting hot.

I know this latest refresh of the MBP came off as "meh" when it was revealed, but what's the opinion now? The standard price for that machine would be $2599, so that seems to me like a point where the lower price can help justify the lack of "sexiness" to the hardware—but maybe I'm wrong on that.

What I want to do with the machine is basic stuff, Adobe CS6, some audio & video editing, and play a few games like WoW or The Sims 3 or other random things. (I'm a console person though, so I'm not looking this to be a serious gaming device.) For comparison, I'm typing this on my 2010 MBP that has a track pad that won't register clicks anymore—and it currently does most of what I want beyond the gaming, even if it's slow at doing those things sometimes and loves getting hot.

Seems like a great machine? You've got discrete graphics, the touchbar, and a 15" MBP. The touchpad alone will be like a tremendous upgrade for you. Maybe check how much RAM it has?

Since this seems to be the "should I buy this laptop" page, I want to throw my situation in. I just noticed that on the Apple refurbs page they have the this model up for $2209:

15.4" MacBook Pro with touch bar, 2.6GHz, 256GB SSD, Radeon 460

If you're cool with that space I think the 2016s are great machine. There is an adjustment period with the all USB-C if there's a lot of stuff you plug in

mollipen

Seems like a great machine? You've got discrete graphics, the touchbar, and a 15" MBP. The touchpad alone will be like a tremendous upgrade for you. Maybe check how much RAM it has?

16GB, which seems to be the only option. Would basically be double what I've currently got.

If you're cool with that space I think the 2016s are great machine. There is an adjustment period with the all USB-C if there's a lot of stuff you plug in

I'm going to need to pick up a few adapters, because I need ethernet and FireWire 800. But, that part doesn't really bug me, because the computer really won't be moving much. (I've got an 11" MB Air from work that I use for traveling.)

Paying 500$ for a base 2015 MacBook isn't too terrible right? Basically just replacing my iPad and keeping some base files, plugins and stuff for my Adobe programs.

Ok, so this has been bugging me since upgrading to Sierra months ago...

Photos has been stuck on this exact number ever since.

M9RjV6dl.png

I cannot find a solution online, any ideas?

Deku Tree

I'm looking to upgrade my stock mid 2013 MBA SSD with a larger one. Any recommendations on what I should get?

I'm going to be following this guide as well.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Solid-State+Drive+Replacement/15181

It doesn't state how to mirror my SSD, is that a simple process?

Try finding a compatible drive here: https://eshop.macsales.com

Honestly if have a third drive then just do a time machine back up and then do a restore. To mirror the drive you might need a program like superduper and a bootable external drive.

Hip Hop

Bad time to get a Macbook at the moment?

or should i look ahead for a new release?

I plan to buy it just for Logic Pro X/Music production

Models I have in mind is either the Macbook Air or MacBook Pro 13 (2015).

Might dish out a bit more for the latest 13" Pro If I see a sale on it too and if it's worth it over the 2015 version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I guess I'm worried about future proofing it so that it lasts 3-4 years more than anything else.
I future-proofed and got myself a top of the line 15" i7 MBP in 2013 and have had it over 3 years now. Plan on keeping it for another year or two if I can.

However the keyboard is dead and in a zombie state requiring me to manually disable it when the OS isn't fighting me about unloading the driver, and the trackpad has become difficult to click on the edges and a pain to click in the middle, let alone even try to click anywhere else on the trackpad. Edit: Oh and of corse the charging cable is losing its shitty PVC-free rubber because of Apple's commitment to the environment over quality assurance. (I'm all for recycling all the shit in the computer, but come on, when your cables lose their sheathing because of it, you've gone a bit too far IMHO.)

Other than that it's fine. The battery is still 88% healthy and lasts me long enough when I do need it to. None of the ports have died. The screen is still pristine. So as soon as I can afford it (Come on tax return) I'll look into repairing it and hopefully keep it going for a few more years. In the mean time I'll try to put money aside each week to have when the time comes to replace it.

Bad time to get a Macbook at the moment?

or should i look ahead for a new release?

I plan to buy it just for Logic Pro X/Music production

Models I have in mind is either the Macbook Air or MacBook Pro 13 (2015).

Might dish out a bit more for the latest 13" Pro If I see a sale on it too and if it's worth it over the 2015 version.

Logic can be pretty CPU intensive if you have a big project with lots of plugins, so I'd recommend a Pro. Also, don't skimp on the RAM! Go for 16 if you can afford it.

EmiPrime

One of my Macs is on the beta stream (can't get it off it) so I got to test Night Shift for a while but I went back to using Flux. Night Shift is far too limited and sometimes bugs out on wake from sleep.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish I could use a two-finger swipe gesture over the PIP window to move it to different corners instead of having to drag it manually.

I mean how did they not think of that? Shame I can't set up a set of BTT gestures to do it since A) the PIP window doesn't have a physical presence that BTT can latch onto when the mouse is hovering over it and B) I don't think there's any key combos you can use to move the window itself.

Top Bottom