• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

farisr

Well there we go. Preorder getting cancelled if they don't change this.

My purchase was already in question after they said they won't be doing splitscreen anymore as they initially promised. Was getting the game for 50% off and thought I'd keep the preorder for the campaign. But I absolutely do not support always online for shit that doesn't justify it, and this absolutely does not justify it.

So, yeah, will cancel my order now if this doesn't change.

Really a shame if true.
I looked forward to play it, but won't buy it anymore now.
An "offline" single player campaign behind online wall? Won't support something like that.

Welp.

May have to join in cancelling.

Well that's a pass for sure. If i wanna play the singleplayer 10 years later when the online server gets shut down then tough luck.

Thats why i do not support always online singleplayer campaigns. Who in the heck would support that. Servers down=rip replays.

Yeah.

SRTtoZ

As someone who lives not far from Blackberg this dude needs to be seriously slapped.

All that being said, with aata caps and everything else that the internet companies are trying to pull on us, always on from game companies is a crappy crappy deal unless there is a legit reason. This seems like a BS reason at best.

He was slapped. Slapped right out of a job.

prudislav

I'm mad because they said so many times that the campaign will be offline. Even their website saids so.
yay online-only UbiDRM is back \o/ I guess the millennials now are fine with it

I even remember them saing botmatches will be playable offline ..... but nothing news they said the same for R6:Siege TerrorHunt , but that one is online.only too

I guess Ubi is slowly tries to sneak in their "good old" online DRM and at the same time for some reason removing old games which had previous try of this DRM from steam (DriverSF, HWX2,...)

BTW: using Denuvo and online.only seems to be bit DRM overkill

britt0n

Neo Member
"I was going to play this game but now I'm no longer going to because of it being online" - this is a ludicrous statement.

I loved the Alpha, but this makes me reconsider getting the game. I simply cannot accept dumb ass business practices such as this one. That is why I will never get the new Hitman either, no matter how awesome everyone else seems to think it is. It is simply unacceptable.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"I was going to play this game but now I'm no longer going to because of it being online" - this is a ludicrous statement.

"I was going to play this game because they promised an offline only campaign, but i am no longer going to because they went back on their word"

That is more accurate to people's viewpoints.

You are being obtuse on purpose.

farisr

Indeed it is. But, "I was interested in this game but will no longer buy it due to it requiring an online connection to their servers for modes that absolutely have no legitimate reason for requiring it" is not.

SURGEdude

Well I wouldn't even consider buying it at this point. Gamefly if it reviews well, otherwise nope. Won't pay over $10 for an always online game since it is disposable at that point once the servers go dark.

britt0n

Neo Member
"I was going to play this game because they promised an offline only campaign, but i am no longer going to because they went back on their word"

That is more accurate to people's viewpoints.

You are being obtuse on purpose.

Early 2016 Ubisoft press release:
"We totally pinky swear that the campaign will be offline because that's what you want to hear, even though it won't and we may lose a few dozen sales now"

I do not accept the fact that people will want to go back years from now and want to play this game, I mean how many people are clamoring to play The Outfit after 10 years? This is the world of games that we live in now.

But but you promised?!?!?!?

This kind of mindset was also thrown about when XB1's original vision was floated. "Nobody cares about what nerds on the internet say!".

If you just act like nothing matters, then nothing will matter. If people make a ruckus, someone will listen 50% of the time.

We're still talking about the amount of control and ownership we have over our products that we buy at full price. Its a legitimate fight o have.

Which is why I specially narrowed it to a gaming forum. The Xbone's reputation broke into the wider mainstream to the point people with little if any interest in games knew about the new Xbox that wouldn't work if disconnected.

If you wanna make the bet that fucking For Honor gets that kind of exposure, go ahead.

farisr

Early 2016 Ubisoft press release:
"We totally pinky swear that the campaign will be offline because that's what you want to hear, even though it won't and we may lose a few dozen sales now"

I do not accept the fact that people will want to go back years from now and want to play this game, I mean how many people are clamoring to play The Outfit after 10 years? This is the world of games that we live in now.

But but you promised?!?!?!?
How about this case then. I couldn't connect to their servers during the Alpha at all. Similarly, my friend couldn't connect to EA's Battlefront servers at all for 2 weeks. Despite our internet, PSN connection, and other games working perfectly fine we couldn't play the games. Now online multiplayer, is of course, understandable. But being at the mercy of their servers to play a mode that has no right requiring an online connection? No thanks.

Also, have you played the campaign? Or are you just assuming it won't be good and folks won't like it enough to want to play it later. There are plenty of games that I still go back to, to this day, more than 10 years later, and I'm sure there are a few games in there that you personally don't feel like were worth going back to.

filly

Day one to day none. Jokes aside, you can't preserve these kind of games. What happenes when they decide to take the servers offline one day? At the least there should be an offline mode. Especially due to the fact there is a single player campaign.

Ferrio

Banned
Well that's a pass for sure. If i wanna play the singleplayer 10 years later when the online server gets shut down then tough luck.

Thats why i do not support always online singleplayer campaigns. Who in the heck would support that. Servers down=rip replays.

Do people really think they're going to wanna pull out For Honor 10 years from now? That type of revisiting games to me is reserved to absolute classics, does anyone actually think For Honor was ever going to reach that status?

atr0cious

Buying this for multiplayer, but the way the feature list has shrunk since the initial reveal is really sad and disheartening. Really tightening the belt just to get it out.

mreddie

In before someone says Siege is always online.

Ubisoft just can't fucking resist. I wonder if Ghost Recon will too.

farisr

Do people really think they're going to wanna pull out For Honor 10 years from now? That type of revisiting games to me is reserved to absolute classics, does anyone think this game is actually going to achieve that?
Maybe to others, they don't need a game to be an "absolute classic" to revisit. Different people have different preferences as well. The fact is that they're removing this possibility/option from the equation when it doesn't need to be. It's not a matter of whether people are thinking this will absolutely be a great campaign or not. I'm sure if the campaign turns out to be crap, you'll immediately see posts of "why is this always online" die down. Heck, Steep is a great example of a game that not many are interested in, not having a big deal made of it being always online.

If it's great, you'll consistently see people coming into topics asking if it has been taken out yet (like Hitman).

Do people really think they're going to wanna pull out For Honor 10 years from now? That type of revisiting games to me is reserved to absolute classics, does anyone actually think For Honor was ever going to reach that status?

There's always going to be some game that just resonates someone on a really personal level. For me, that's SaGa Frontier. A game released in 97 that I still play to this day.

While I have doubts if the single player component of a game focused on online competitive play would ever really resonate with someone to that degree, it's not impossible

SURGEdude

Xbox has made a huge deal and a lot of hay on backwards compatibility. 10 years is very generous as well. How thrilling would it be a huge part of your single player library was unplayable?

I'll never get people who seem to love gaming, but apparently don't think it's worth preserving even in the simplest way. It's a contradiction that makes me wonder if they are just interested in the new shiny and couldn't care less about the medium's long term future.

Ferrio

Banned
There's always going to be some game that just resonates someone on a really personal level. For me, that's SaGa Frontier. A game released in 97 that I still play to this day.

Wow I couldn't even stomach through that game when it was first released, you're dedicated I'll give ya that.

Xbox has made a huge deal and a lot of hay on backwards compatibility. 10 years is very generous as well. How thrilling would it be a huge part of your single player library was unplayable?

There's a good chance that's already a possibility to my collection due to disc rot.

As much as I like collecting, I've realized that my "oh I'll play this 10 years down the line" never happens even for games I adore but maybe that's me.

Akainu

How often does that happen? Once a month? Once every three months? How long does that happen, a couple hours?

I have comcast so more than it should it's even more fun when the connect keep craping out every two seconds. Are saying I should be ok with not being able to play the games I want to during outages?

DTU

Banned
Let's be real. 99% of you guys are going to buy this tape on sale for $40 or less, then trade it in after a few weeks.

I have comcast so more than it should it's even more fun when the connect keep craping out every two seconds. Are saying I should be ok with not being able to play the games I want to during outages?

This game also always needs power. What happens during a power outage?

Tigress

I like going back and playing Smuggler's Run. I wonder how many people even remember that game. Doesn't have to be a classic to want to replay it. It just has to be a game you really loved.

Ferrio

Banned
I like going back and playing Smuggler's Run. I wonder how many people even remember that game. Doesn't have to be a classic to want to replay it. It just has to be a game you really loved.

I understand, but why should you skip a game that you'll love now for the off chance you might wanna play it 10 years down the line but can't?

farisr

So the argument is that someone who really loves For Honor can't go back in play it, so they shouldn't buy this game that they'll love?
The argument is that they won't buy this game that they could potentially love, because they don't have control over when and how long they get to play it. They would rather save that money and spend it towards a game/developer that is not taking that control away.

Top Bottom