• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

You get a full, one-page tutorial splash screen before every important element, and people don't know how to boost or use a character's unique ability?

🤕

Who didn't immediately allure the guard after the tutorial? Only reason I realized they could maybe be a party member was because they had an attack listed.

Anyway, I totally died the first time on primrose's path's boss. I severely underestimated the need to actually buy gear/items in a demo, ha. I was shocked by how much HP the boss had. I also didn't have a villager with me because I had brainfarted and didn't check the girl before the catacombs. Oops (checked save guy and couldn't allure him, and I thought they were a duo so didn't bother).

I really like the simple elegance of the combat's flow: balancing when to boost, counting shields, and when to attack normally to stock boost. The boss really made the systems shine. Hitting it with a full boost after you break it 💅👌.

My only complaint is the text size. It's so small, what the heck. The help text especially.

jokes on you, i beat him without buying anything! I'm a true RPG MASTAH

Shahadan

I think people don't realize immediately that you can boost abilities because the ability menu doesn't display the change in power until you select it.

Which makes sense but it sends the wrong message, maybe they should do something about that

Kinsei

Banned
You get a full, one-page tutorial splash screen before every important element, and people don't know how to boost or use a character's unique ability?

🤕

Who didn't immediately allure the guard after the tutorial? Only reason I realized they could maybe be a party member was because they had an attack listed.

Anyway, I totally died the first time on primrose's path's boss. I severely underestimated the need to actually buy gear/items in a demo, ha. I was shocked by how much HP the boss had. I also didn't have a villager with me because I had brainfarted and didn't check the girl before the catacombs. Oops (checked save guy and couldn't allure him, and I thought they were a duo so didn't bother).

I really like the simple elegance of the combat's flow: balancing when to boost, counting shields, and when to attack normally to stock boost. The boss really made the systems shine. Hitting it with a full boost after you break it 💅👌.

My only complaint is the text size. It's so small, what the heck. The help text especially.

You actually had money to buy gear in Primrose's path? Huh, that probably would have made it so the fights didn't drag on forever had I known.

mojo2

Neo Member
This is everything I wanted Bravely Default to be and more. Loving every second of it. But 2018? Damn what a cock tease.

moozoom

I think I'm in love with this game. Just got my butt kicked by the first boss in primrose path, but I totally forgot about the boost thing and still not sure how to manage that shield thing. Will try again after a little level up and after buying some equipment.

Music is really good, and I really love the art style. 2018 is so far away !

Well I finished the Primrose section of the demo, definitely enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to given the random encounters. I kind of wish it occurred to me sooner that it would have been a better idea to use her Moonlight Waltz against the boss instead of his weakness though, I think it did like 3 fully boosted attacks with the dagger before I realized how unbelievably inefficient that was.

FinalAres

Why is this developed by Acquire? Did Silicon Studio start work on it and then they were moved on to another project, like Bravely Sword. Surely if they worked on it their name would still be on it. Were they never the devs, was this misreported? SO MANY QUESTIONSSS

jokes on you, i beat him without buying anything! I'm a true RPG MASTAH
Nice. I didn't use lion dance till the second go, either. I'm really scatterbrained.

You actually had money to buy gear in Primrose's path? Huh, that probably would have made it so the fights didn't drag on forever had I known.
Yeah, though I only went to the armory after I got beat. I bought a piece for every slot and had enough left over for two grapes. I really think I could have killed him the first time if I had the extra grapes, haha. Felt like I was close because it took a while, but who knows.

duckroll

Why is this developed by Acquire? Did Silicon Studio start work on it and then they were moved on to another project, like Bravely Sword. Surely if they worked on it their name would still be on it. Were they never the devs, was this misreported? SO MANY QUESTIONSSS

Misreported by who?

Kinsei

Banned
Nice. I didn't use lion dance till the second go, either. I'm really scatterbrained.

Yeah, though I only went to the armory after I got beat. I bought a piece for every slot and had enough left over for two grapes. I really think I could have killed him the first time if I had the extra grapes, haha. Felt like I was close because it took a while, but who knows.

It's really odd that a sex slave was allowed to have money. Let alone enough to buy all that.

Oh well, even had I noticed I probably wouldn't have bothered taking the time to look for the armory. I was in full on "fuck this game" mode before I even got control of Primrose due to the story.

Lynd7

I just finished the Primrose section, took me a little over an hour, then an extra 20 or so walking around exploring the next section. Its cool that you can continue on. I upgraded her gear, you earn more cash after fights so could do most of it.

I really liked it though, looks great, story was good. Will buy the full game.

Shahadan

Yeah I don't see the problem with Octopath Traveler. It's a fine name.

I don't think promoting a game for a year, giving a demo and then change the name is a good idea anyway

FinalAres

Misreported by who?

Well I don't know all the outlets that said this, but I know Kotaku did. I'm not saying this WAS misreported, I'm just wondering if this is a genuine change of developer or something lost in translation or mistranslated.

Do I have to do a search for the demo because I'm having trouble finding it on the eshop.

Go to coming soon and scroll down down down down.

Switch eShop sucks.

duckroll

Well I don't know all the outlets that said this, but I know Kotaku did. I'm not saying this WAS misreported, I'm just wondering if this is a genuine change of developer or something lost in translation or mistranslated.

Just like how Code Vein is from the God Eater devs (aka the Namco Bandai producers who worked on God Eater), Octopus Travelator is from the Bravely Default devs, aka the Square Enix producers who worked on Bravely Default. Marketing and PR doesn't care who the "real" dev studios are.

duckroll

I downloaded the demo but i'm at the office right now.
How long is the demo ?

There are two scenarios to choose from. Each has about an hour of story content before the demo ends and you can free roam for optional content and secrets. There's probably a good 5-10 hours of stuff to get out of the demo. Level cap is 15.

Moose84

How deep is the combat? I'm not too big on JRPGs and as such would much prefer a simpler one without too many systems. Sort of like what Child of Light does. Not expecting that level of simplicity but is it similar?

ryushe

How deep is the combat? I'm not too big on JRPGs and as such would much prefer a simpler one without too many systems. Sort of like what Child of Light does. Not expecting that level of simplicity but is it similar?
Nah, it's pretty deep. I'm am RPG vet and even some of the regular battles were kind of kicking my butt.

FinalAres

Just like how Code Vein is from the God Eater devs (aka the Namco Bandai producers who worked on God Eater), Octopus Travelator is from the Bravely Default devs, aka the Square Enix producers who worked on Bravely Default. Marketing and PR doesn't care who the "real" dev studios are.

Huh, that's interesting. Definitely makes me excited for the prospect of Silicon Studio working on Bravely Third/Sword etc.

_Ryo_

Quick question for those that played the demo.

Can you allure women when playing as a woman and men when playing as a man?

Shahadan

I think it's pretty simple in a good way. It's just the usual basic actions (attack, abilities, defend) that you can/should boost at the right moment.
It's not difficult to grasp but it will still require strategy because you have to create the opening in your enemy's defense and manage the boost levels to use at the right moment for maximum effectiveness. There is potential for interesting boss battles.

I'm happy that they allow the defense command to be boosted.

Quick question for those that played the demo.

Can you allure women when playing as a woman and men when playing as a man?

Haven't played Primrose's path yet but she's the only one with the allure ability, and the trailer showed it working on females iirc

Xater

Not gonna finish the demo, so I don't have to repeat stuff in the full game. Seems pretty promising though.

Peltz

This game plays poorly. It looked great in videos but I am not a fan of the pixelated characters. And the dialogue is long and insufferable. These voice actors are bad.

The lighting and environments are cool, but that's all this game has going for it. The battle system is a downright slog.

And promrose's characterization is offensively sexist.

I still don't understand the voice acting complaints minus maybe the kid. Everyone I know outside of GAF thinks the voice acting is great, including a few twitch streamers I've watched play the demo who seem to adore the game so far.

Lynd7

This game plays poorly. It looked great in videos but I am not a fan of the pixelated characters. And the dialogue is long and insufferable. These voice actors are bad.

The lighting and environments are cool, but that's all this game has going for it. The battle system is a downright slog.

Why you think it's a slog? Once I was using the boosts with better timing etc they could go pretty quick.

Peltz

I still don't understand the voice acting complaints minus maybe the kid. Everyone I know outside of GAF thinks the voice acting is phenomenal, including a few twitch streamers I've watched play the demo who seem to adore the game so far.
It's not. It is hokey and over-acted.

Peltz

Why you think it's a slog? Once I was using the boosts with better timing etc they could go pretty quick.
Too many random encounters with not enough fun to be had within those encounters. There's no unique hook to the turn based fighting to make it stand out. The boost system just seems whatever.

EmryX

Neo Member
There are two scenarios to choose from. Each has about an hour of story content before the demo ends and you can free roam for optional content and secrets. There's probably a good 5-10 hours of stuff to get out of the demo. Level cap is 15.

So cool, thanks ! :)

LordKano

Just how huge the demo is ? I've played one hour of Berg's route (just beat the huge bandit) and apparently I'm not finished yet ?
If the game ends up as big as Bravely Default...dayum.

audio_delay

Neo Member
I still don't understand the voice acting complaints minus maybe the kid. Everyone I know outside of GAF thinks the voice acting is great, including a few twitch streamers I've watched play the demo who seem to adore the game so far.

.. I hope people know that they can switch to jpn audio. But even then there is nothing wrong with the english audio track.
I managed to recruit Primrose at the end. Once you have a party the battle mechanics makes sense, breaking guards and focusing on certain enemies first. However I don't think the demo sells this system well. Hopefully we will get another demo in the future.

Walking through a door and having it rumble through the joycon should not feel this good. Biggest disappointment so far is not being able to close a door an walk through it again. Why is such a thing so perfect?

piggychan

Voice acting is pretty good. Erhardt sounded a bit Sean Bean-ish.

I was getting FFXV Ignis vibes from the voice acting.

I like the demo but I'm not going to play anymore. Going to wait on official release now.
DJpiMn_UMAARefc.jpg:large

Lynd7

.. I hope people know that they can switch to jpn audio. But even then there is nothing wrong with the english audio track.
I managed to recruit Primrose at the end. Once you have a party the battle mechanics makes sense, breaking guards and focusing on certain enemies first. However I don't think the demo sells this system well. Hopefully we will get another demo in the future.

Agreed, once I had the second party member it started to open up more. I think it'll be fun with more members.

Fbh

Got my Switch in the mail today and the first thing I did after setting it up was downloading this demo.

Overall pretty great. It looks and sounds amazing. Music is fantastic and the visual Style is incredible, this is how you make a SNES style JRPG in HD.
No complains about the voice acting either. Played a bit in English and in Japanese and both sound pretty great IMO.

Have only played half an hour but I enjoyed the battle system (playing as the Knight). I assume it gets more complex later on because this early it's really easy to abuse boost and don't even give the enemies a chance to attack.

Only thing that dissapointed me was random encounters. I know it's supposed to feel like a classic JRPG but ever since Chrono trigger there really isn't an excuse to have them. I hope they have a slider as in Bravely Default in the final release.

jph139

It's not. It is hokey and over-acted.

To be fair, the dialogue is hokey and cliche. You've gotta play to the material.

(I really don't get the praise this is getting on the story front - have JRPG stories gotten so dire that this looks good in comparison?)

Lynd7

Is this up in EU yet? Couldn't find it an hour ago.

Yeah it has been for ages, I'm in AU. It wasn't listed on the front page or anything though when I downloaded it. I had to search through the store to find it, the search function didn't seem to work either.

Top Bottom