• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

A little background check: I'm 38 and started playing video games on an Amstrad CPC sometime during the 80s. Got a Super Famicom with SF2 for what seemed like a ton of money in the summer of 92 and never really stopped playing that game. I've owned every Nintendo hardware since then except for the Wii, strangely.

And then comes the Switch. Caved in day 1 on the promise of a unified Nintendo piece of hardware. Since launch I've bought:
- A pro controller
- A spare pair of joy-cons to play with friends
- BotW
- Bomberman
- MK8
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Wonderboy
- Minecraft

And then the preorders:
- USF2
- Arms
- Splatoon 2

Now mind you I haven't bought a single one of these games out of boredom. I really want to play all of them. The thing is I can't remember a single launch window line-up with so many games I'm interested in. This feels like SNES days again packed in less than 6 months. And then E3 is just around the corner. Am I just insane or is this Nintendo best launch ever?

I'm having the same problem OP! I traded in a ton of stuff to get my Switch + Pro Controller + $120 eshop card for free, but since then I've just bought more and more. I'm at the point where I've told myself I need to stop buying so many indie games and just focus on the big first party games. I need money for stuff on my other consoles!

Servbot24

Banned
It's not bad. Definitely not as bad as most people would have you believe.

It kind of depends on how you consider Zelda and Mario Kart. If those are new games to you then yes, best launch ever for sure. If you think of those as Wii U games then it's honestly a pretty terrible launch line up with the remainder of games.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You don't need to buy anything day one, you do know that right? Software doesn't disappear from store shelves the day after release.

Ok?
I mean unless youre implying this is some exemplary stellar lineup im not sure what to say.
To me its still zelda portable and some other stuff, the console, until xenoblade, mario and nmh are out.
Oh and im pretty sure i bought more games i wanted to play this year before the switch even released.

NimbusD

Same. Tons of cool eShop titles. I will say that I made a mistake with Minecraft, it's not for me and I should have known that. Finally cutting myself off right before thumper, sorry thumper.

Thoughthe disgaea demo sold me on that game, ugh.

It isn't like many of these are must play day one.

This is a concern switch has no games thread though so it's expected.

Id definitely wait for sales but Nintendo games are me wrong that cheap atleast.

Patience is a virtue. While 1st party stuff rarely goes on sale, Target does B2G1 sales from time to time, and Best Buy discounts eshop cards.

Newline

I bought my switch as a breath of the wild machine and now I've bought Mario Kart, puyo puyo and binding of Issac too! This thing is just too fun to play on, I think I'll end up having my largest library ever on it. If a game I like comes out and it's out on switch, I'll get it on there no doubt.

I've only purchased another pair of joycons when it comes to accessories, but I've already bought 9 games in about 2 months, which is way higher than I've done for previous consoles. So my wallet is feeling your wallet's pain OP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, X360.

Dreamcast 1st year was a bliss too.

Oh okay, I kind of get this now. At launch a lot of systems have good games come out at launch or the first year. This really isn't unusual. RIP to your wallet though.

I'm glad you at least mentioned Dreamcast was good.

Mostly the opposite with me. Bought a switch for zelda and that's about it. No interest on any of those other games, never been a MK fan, arms is maybe a rental. I'll get splatoon.

I haven't touched the switch in over a month, feel like Wii U all over again. Which is fine I buy Nintendo consoles just to play the few Nintendo exclusives every year. I own everything but a One, I have a pc for those games, and over 300 games on backlog so I need to be picky with what I play.

dugdug

Banned
I wish I had that problem. Only bought three games for it and one I already traded in. Haven't even finished the other two (Zelda and Kamiko).

Pretty disappointed so far.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I've owned many a console day 1 and the first few months of the Switch have been crazy. doesn't look to let up anytime soon. I know I'm on the hook for at least $240 (plus tax) more worth of game purchases and that doesn't include any downloadable games.

It's the most I've spent cause of the accessories. Bought a case, glass protector cause my dock is warped, 128gb of memory. I bought an extra joycon cause my nephew wants to play Arms and a pro controller because I need a dpad. Too expensive imo

XandBosch

People are complaining that the Switch has no games.

Meanwhile I already have a Switch backlog and I can't afford the stuff I want to buy.

Haunted

A little background check: I'm 38 and started playing video games on an Amstrad CPC sometime during the 80s. Got a Super Famicom with SF2 for what seemed like a ton of money in the summer of 92 and never really stopped playing that game. I've owned every Nintendo hardware since then except for the Wii, strangely.

And then comes the Switch. Caved in day 1 on the promise of a unified Nintendo piece of hardware. Since launch I've bought:
- A pro controller
- A spare pair of joy-cons to play with friends
- BotW
- Bomberman
- MK8
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Wonderboy
- Minecraft

And then the preorders:
- USF2
- Arms
- Splatoon 2

Now mind you I haven't bought a single one of these games out of boredom. I really want to play all of them. The thing is I can't remember a single launch window line-up with so many games I'm interested in. This feels like SNES days again packed in less than 6 months. And then E3 is just around the corner. Am I just insane or is this Nintendo best launch ever?
I mean, the horrendous peripheral prices killing your wallet isn't really something to praise Nintendo for.

As far as software goes, I feel it's been pretty fair so far, with Zelda being an absolute must-play and two indie games I've already played on other platforms (but double-dipped anyway) in Isaac and Thumper.

Next up for me are Hollow Knight and Super Mario Odyssey and whenever Capcom get off their asses to make that big budget Monster Hunter game I crave.

That said, great you're enjoying what they're offering. I am, too, but I'm not swamped by too many good things.

edit: unrelated sidenote: now that I think about it, I do want Spelunky on Switch. oh my god that'd be the best

Man, I have only went with the AAA stuff, BoTW and MK8....next game is going to be ARMS, and I have bought a pro controller and wired internet adapter......oh and two nice cases.....errrr...maybe this is getting expensive

RaptorGTA

Same here. Ive owned multiple lunch console but the Switch has probably been the one Ive sent the most on in terms of games. Not a bad thing but something I am not use to.

do you expect sympathy from us now?
just don't spend that money

if you don't enjoy spending, rather don't spend
i wait until i can get a switch including mario kart and a pro controller for 299

knitoe

I wish I was just as excited as OP. I only have launched Zelda and 1-2 Switch. Plenty of money to burn, this month bought a $779 1080ti and $1350 Dell XPS 13 laptop, but nothing on the Switch interest my until Mario. It's been 2-3 weeks since I even picked it up.

Bowl0l

It's the opposite for me. So far, I only own Zelda and 1-2 Switch, and an extra pair of Joycons.
I'm only looking forward to Pokemon, nothing else.

tayls129

Ah, the joys of forgetting you have the system. I'm just not impressed with it, and find myself still playing multi-plats on any other system.

Same, OP. I'm already at the point where new games I want are coming out and I have no more time or money for them. Thumper being the most recent example.

do you expect sympathy from us now?
just don't spend that money

if you don't enjoy spending, rather don't spend
i wait until i can get a switch including mario kart and a pro controller for 299

I think I've made a mistake with my thread title. I'm not complaining. I just can't remember another Nintendo launch with so many games appealing to me.

Wish I was into that stuff. I rebought BTOW for it and a friend shipped me a copy of Mk8, tried Shovel Knight but couldn't get into it. It's basically a dust collector until Oddyssey hits.

But glad you're enjoying the software

It's not bad. Definitely not as bad as most people would have you believe.

It kind of depends on how you consider Zelda and Mario Kart. If those are new games to you then yes, best launch ever for sure. If you think of those as Wii U games then it's honestly a pretty terrible launch line up with the remainder of games.

This.
I'll be waiting till after christmas. But getting more and more excited for E3.

Ultimadrago

Killing my patience, more like it. I'm still awaiting the next major release that interests me past Zelda. I'll admit that Zelda: BotW was one hell of a launch title though!

antibolo

Banned
Love for the hardware makes you want to buy more games than you normally would. Yeah same here, I know what you feel.

Strings

Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<

Top Bottom