• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Stasis

You cant complain about the big market teams and then push for a financial structure that only benefits them.

A luxury tax is just going to result in the same 4 or 5 teams buying players like its the late 90s - early 2000s.

Yeah a luxury tax would be fantastic for a few teams and really suck for many others. I don't wan't it and I'm a fan of a team that would massively benefit...

Also, wow @ Oilers/Sharks. One choke team gone (and I like the Sharks, no offense to anyone/Acid =/) and one left. But I think the Caps make it. They need to so we can beat them =P

Yeah a luxury tax would be fantastic for a few teams and really suck for many others. I don't wan't it and I'm a fan of a team that would massively benefit...

Also, wow @ Oilers/Sharks. One choke team gone (and I like the Sharks, no offense to anyone/Acid =/) and one left. But I think the Caps make it. They need to so we can beat them =P

That would imply they make the conference finals, which is almost certainly not happening.

NVDsBJn.jpg

How R/Habs feel

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
idk man. There's a point to be made about that method

it worked for the Caps (lol), Penguins, Hawks and now Leafs and Oilers. Tanking hard until you get a generational talent is actually valid in todays NHL

I said it multiple time i'm the biggest Price fan in Montreal but we need to trade him next season, giving him 80M over 8 years will be the biggest mistake this franchise will ever make

Not a chance, are you forgetting just how many mistakes this franchise has made?

bigJP

idk man. There's a point to be made about that method

it worked for the Caps (lol), Penguins, Hawks and now Leafs and Oilers. Tanking hard until you get a generational talent is actually valid in todays NHL

I said it multiple time i'm the biggest Price fan in Montreal but we need to trade him next season, giving him 80M over 8 years will be the biggest mistake this franchise will ever make
Agree
No matter how good the goalie, he shouldn't be your highest paid player

Who do you we trade Galchenyuk for?

I have some options we can look at

Buffalo: Sam Reinhart

Washington: Evgeny Kuznetsov

Columbus: Alexander Wennberg

Islanders: Anthony Beauvillier,Ryan Strome

Flyers: Sean Couturier, Travis Konecny

Carolina: Victor Rask

St Louis: Robbi Fabbri

Dallas:Radek Faksa, Tyler Seguin

Anaheim: Ricky Rakell

Edmonton: RNH, Leon Draisaitl

San Jose: Logan Couture, Tomas Hertl

Calgary: Sam Bennett, Sean Monahan

Los Angeles: Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli

Aroooizona: Max Domi, Christian Dvorak

Colorado: Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The only way Price is leaving, is if he decides he doesn't want to resign, they're not trading him. He wasn't at his best this series, but the Habs also doubled the Rangers scoring chances but just weren't able to finish. If Therrien was still coach I would be a lot more bothered by this, but there's hope with Julien at the helm.

Don't forget : next season is the LAST season of our window of opportunity.

the 80M gift to Price will mark the end of an era
Bergevin already said he doesn't believe in windows, seems like his goal every season will just be to get the team into the playoffs and hope for the best.

Mentok

Banned
I don't get this talk for trading Carey Price....for what?! Then we'd have weak offence and no goalie. That's insanity.

Here's how I see it:
For sure needs to go: Emelin, Beaulieu , Pleks, Shaw, the UFAs they traded for,
Take a LONG look at: Patches, Galchenyuk, Danault, Markov
Re-sign: Rads, Price

I mean this whole "he's in his prime" is garbage. All-star goalies can play will into their 30s, look at what King L just did. So the notion that there'll be some kind of drop-off from Price is lunacy. Legit, the team was the worse team in the NHL without him last season. That's just how much they depend on him to win. You can't have that as a strategy. Sign him, or it's just another Subban trade that'll haunt you (not saying Weber is bad or anything, but I still stand by the long run loss in that trade).
Sure, the team needs 1 more proper top 4 D player, but they DESPERATELY need 2 proper play makers.

Red_Man

Beaulieu is 100% gone, but I have no idea what will happen with AGally. I assume he's gone as well, but I'm pretty sure we'll get fleeced in any trade we throw him in. Patches isn't going anywhere at that cap hit, and he shouldn't, he's played his entire career with Desharnais and Danault and still is one of the highest scoring wingers of the last 5 years.

Mentok

Banned
Beaulieu is 100% gone, but I have no idea what will happen with AGally. I assume he's gone as well, but I'm pretty sure we'll get fleeced in any trade we throw him in. Patches isn't going anywhere at that cap hit, and he shouldn't, he's played his entire career with Desharnais and Danault and still is one of the highest scoring wingers of the last 5 years.

True, but I don't know if he should be "C". The added pressures to that seem to have affected him quite a bit. Also, I knot BGally is supposed to be the pest, but he looked "smaller" this series. I can't explain it.

Red_Man

I assume Sergachev will make the team next season, one real question mark is Hudon. Had 35 goals in the AHL and doesn't get a single call up, don't know what's up with that.

Also :

Henrik Lundqvist's .947 SV% against MTL is tied for the best SV% he has posted in a playoff round in his NHL career (ECQF vs. WSH in 2013).
With five 1 goal games, everyone is freaking out like we got swept.

True, but I don't know if he should be "C". The added pressures to that seem to have affected him quite a bit. Also, I knot BGally is supposed to be the pest, but he looked "smaller" this series. I can't explain it.
I know this entire summer is going to be "Trade Patches / Strip him of the C!" but it doesn't really matter, Price is this teams captain, the C just makes Patches the teams spokesperson.

imBask

Banned
With five 1 goal games, everyone is freaking out like we got swept.

I think it's more like : people are freaking out because we're sick of hearing the same bullshit every year, with those stupid 5 year plans

Bergevin came in with the best goalie in the world. a norris winning dman, a 30-40 goal scorer in his prime, a 3rd overall pick and a great veteran dman ready to take a cut in his paycheck to stay here

5 years later, we're getting eliminated in the first round after missing the playoffs the year before. Regardless of if it's his fault or not, there's only so much bullshit fans can take and it's starting to show. The crowd wasn't that hot at the Bell Centre and I feel like the cynicism is at an all time high in Montreal. As I said in the other thread last night we'll get the same god damn press conference on monday telling us all about the core and the usual "we're always looking to improve" and "the parity" and blablabla... That's fucking frustrating man, more so than getting eliminated

But hey as long as the stands are full, why even bother

I don't get this talk for trading Carey Price....for what?! Then we'd have weak offence and no goalie. That's insanity.

I'm assuming people are going back to the Halak/Price debate? Sell and keep the younger, unproven but promising goalie. I guess this time people are thinking Fucale? That and/or the assumed cap hit when Price cashes in, so trade for cheaper.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Bergevin spent 5 years taking the Habs sideways.

What is his long term goal? Is this what he pitched to them when he took the job?

^^Fucale is awful and likely has no future in the NHl.

imBask

Banned
I'm assuming people are going back to the Halak/Price debate? Sell and keep the younger, unproven but promising goalie. I guess this time people are thinking Fucale? That or the assumed cap hit when Price cashes in, so trade for cheaper.

no not at all it has nothing to do with Halak! It's 100% based on the contract he'll sign next year

I think the days of goalies winning a cup by themselves is long gone, and handcuffing yourself by paying your goalie 10M a year over 8 years is a really bad idea, no matter how great he is

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
People want to trade Price because they don't believe goalies are worth the money, then complain that we just got beat by a great goalie.

🤔

Red_Man

If Bergevin doesn't address scoring this off season, then I'll be on the "fire Bergevin" bandwagon. No one got scoring at the deadline, the best forward that was moved was Hanzal and the Wild are sitting on the sidelines now too.

I'm assuming people are going back to the Halak/Price debate? Sell and keep the younger, unproven but promising goalie. I guess this time people are thinking Fucale? That and/or the assumed cap hit when Price cashes in, so trade for cheaper.
Fucale is a nothing player, but the IceCaps goalie Lindgren looks like he has a good chance at being a decent NHL goalie.

Solo

This team is going nowhere as long as Bergevin is the GM. Time for Molson to realize that and shit can him. I can't handle 5 more years of lateral movement.

Everyone is forgetting about Mcniven in the OHL, SMH. He's has a cool and calm presence similar to Price

He could be our number one in a few years

His numbers are fantastic

Mentok

Banned
no not at all it has nothing to do with Halak! It's 100% based on the contract he'll sign next year

I think the days of goalies winning a cup by themselves is long gone, and handcuffing yourself by paying your goalie 10M a year over 8 years is a really bad idea, no matter how great he is

I know everyone is thinking this due to the contract he will sign, but there's 2 arguments I have to this:

1) Would he be "worth the pay" if we went further? A big contract is still a big contract (note, I think he is worth his weight).
2) What's the solution? Hope we can get an all-star for a significant less pay?

EDIT: ^^^ Not forgetting McNiven, but he's quite the ways away from being NHL ready don't you think?

I know everyone is thinking this due to the contract he will sign, but there's 2 arguments I have to this:

1) Would he be "worth the pay" if we went further? A big contract is still a big contract (note, I think he is worth his weight).
2) What's the solution? Hope we can get an all-star for a significant less pay?

EDIT: ^^^ Not forgetting McNiven, but he's quite the ways away from being NHL ready don't you think?

True, I see him going to the AHL next year though. Fucale probably is going to Europe.

Top Bottom