• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I liked when All Might showed up for his class and one of the comments was "That costume is so cool, so tacky, so silver age!" lol

The mere fact that they use terms like "silver age" is a big part of why I love stuff like this. Assuming it's not just a translator thing, I mean.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The mere fact that they use terms like "silver age" is a big part of why I love stuff like this. Assuming it's not just a translator thing, I mean.

Yeah I hope it's from the actual mangaka and not from scanlators.

Also Frog Girl is love, Frog Girl is life.

SalvaPot

I just read through the series, and I'm really feeling it. I love Japanese interpretations of American style superheroes (like Onepunch-Man and Tiger and Bunny).
I feel like I am ready to let a shonen series into my heart again.

edit: and then I immediately made this avatar

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

I gotta say, this thing escalated really damn quick. Pretty sure we're going to see
All Might die next issue.

I certainly hope he doesn't die yet, he still needs to grow closer to all the students so avenging him if he dies later on gets real weight. I'm expecting him to win but be really hurt and forced to reveal his true identity to a few of the students.

Omnicent

Infinity girl best girl

tumblr_nffwmolO5W1qhmbkio2_r2_500.png

But frog girl is really close behind.

Now+_f5216a2dade980f66df89b35bae93b47.png

I just saw the sprite work of her that someone posted on NF (bless Wolfarus). Now I need a fighting game of this series or I'll never be happy.

SalvaPot

Just paste on google "Boku no Hero Academia read" and you should be able to find it with ease,

Also I need to know if someone knows where I can find this Miis

tumblr_nfjuqlxcsP1szh2cmo1_500.jpg

Error

I'm hoping Deku relies more on his ability to analyze the powers than his superman-esque quirk.

Basically more Batman than Superman.

oh and there are already shippers for Deku/Frog Girl and Deku/Infinity Girl lol

SalvaPot

I'm hoping Deku relies more on his ability to analyze the powers than his superman-esque quirk.

Deku/Infinity Girl 4Ever =P

That'd be cool. I really do like the setup we've got now, where he's relying on his Awesomeness by Analysis to compensate for his tendency to tear his own body apart. Feels very unique.

SalvaPot

It's not even a competition at this point.

Frog Girl, however, will be the one to tame the wild Kacchan.

Haha! Can you imagine? Fanfavorite girl with the jerkass character, I wonder if the manga is actually going to give some room for romance.

That'd be cool. I really do like the setup we've got now, where he's relying on his Awesomeness by Analysis to compensate for his tendency to tear his own body apart. Feels very unique.

Yep! I kinda wish Deku gets a hold of his powers soon, since if he keeps damaging himself without a tangible repercussion it might hurt the story a little bit, in my opinion. Unless the point is to nerf him because of a constantly degrading body, who could be awesome for storytelling.

Haha! Can you imagine? Fanfavorite girl with the jerkass character, I wonder if the manga is actually going to give some room for romance.

Yep! I kinda wish Deku gets a hold of his powers soon, since if he keeps damaging himself without a tangible repercussion it might hurt the story a little bit, in my opinion. Unless the point is to nerf him because of a constantly degrading body, who could be awesome for storytelling.

I think that's the point, yeah. He's got a power level totally out of proportion with the rest of the cast (sans All Might, of course, and that freaky guy who shrugged off his punch), which is cool for a side character but kind of unwieldy for a protagonist. Unless he's got some kind of incredibly harsh limiter, he'd just be roflstomping everybody. Having him constantly injure himself is a much better way of going about that than most I've seen, especially in Shonen, where they tend to take "limiter" rather literally :p

SalvaPot

I think that's the point, yeah. He's got a power level totally out of proportion with the rest of the cast (sans All Might, of course, and that freaky guy who shrugged off his punch), which is cool for a side character but kind of unwieldy for a protagonist. Unless he's got some kind of incredibly harsh limiter, he'd just be roflstomping everybody. Having him constantly injure himself is a much better way of going about that than most I've seen, especially in Shonen, where they tend to take "limiter" rather literally :p

Hehe, yeah! It also helps that he is such a likable guy, so when he hurts himself you actually care for him and it means a lot, since he literally sacrifices himself for the sake of others.

Nairume

Banned
I feel like he's also going to have his own "limiter" in place in the sense that he's the kind of person who is going to always hold back unless absolutely necessary. Could actually be a neat arc if they eventually have to address him dealing with being a man of steel living in a world of paper.

Also, I guess as far as romance goes, I think I'd just be cool if he and Gravity Girl just have a natural relationship that never really acts as the focus for the series, since that'd seem more fresh.

I feel like he's also going to have his own "limiter" in place in the sense that he's the kind of person who is going to always hold back unless absolutely necessary. Could actually be a neat arc if they eventually have to address him dealing with being a man of steel living in a world of paper.

Also, I guess as far as romance goes, I think I'd just be cool if he and Gravity Girl just have a natural relationship that never really acts as the focus for the series, since that'd seem more fresh.

Yeah. World of Cardboard is definitely a fun trope.*

The gold standard of Shonen relationships is (for me) Sena and Suzuna in Eyeshield 21. It just sort of... evolves, organically. Never feels like it's elbowing its way in front of the main plot, but it ends up being a big part of both characters regardless.

*The definitive example found here!

Big One

Banned
Just letting you guys know that there's some sloppy, but readable translations out of the chapters Fallen Angels has not covered yet and 21 is coming out soon as well. All that needs to be translated that's left is 21 and 22.

Gunslinger my new favorite side character.

SalvaPot

Boku no Hero got cover this week! This is the Table of Contents for this week, that somewhat reflect what series is the most popular. Series with color are not ranked.

Jump Issue #3 ToC

Issue #3
Boku no Hero Academia (Lead Color/Cover)
One Piece
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Haikyuu
Gakkyuu Houtei
Takujou no Ageha
Shokugeki no Soma
Hinomaru Zumou
World Trigger
E-Robot
Gintama
Offside wo Oshiete (Oneshot, Center Color)
Toriko
Nisekoi
Hi-Fi Cluster
Isobe (Center color)
Bleach
Kochikame
Judos
Sporting Salt

99hertz

I read the first four chapters (volumes?) last night and it's pretty good.The setting sounded similar to the web serial Worm and I really liked it so I wanted to read this. If anyone likes the idea of "superhero school" they should check out Worm.

Nightbird

Boku no Hero got cover this week! This is the Table of Contents for this week, that somewhat reflect what series is the most popular. Series with color are not ranked.

Jump Issue #3 ToC

Issue #3
Boku no Hero Academia (Lead Color/Cover)
One Piece
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Haikyuu
Gakkyuu Houtei
Takujou no Ageha
Shokugeki no Soma
Hinomaru Zumou
World Trigger
E-Robot
Gintama
Offside wo Oshiete (Oneshot, Center Color)
Toriko
Nisekoi
Hi-Fi Cluster
Isobe (Center color)
Bleach
Kochikame
Judos
Sporting Salt

Also, this represents the Votes that a Series got 7 Chapters ago. (I thought i would be nice to point that out too :p )

Macnair

Thanks for the recommendation OP! I'm missing my weekly manga reading with Naruto ending too soon. I'm liking the characters especially Infinity Girl.

CrimsonN0

I read the first four chapters (volumes?) last night and it's pretty good.The setting sounded similar to the web serial Worm and I really liked it so I wanted to read this. If anyone likes the idea of "superhero school" they should check out Worm.
Worm is pretty good, though, its not really about school stuff and is tonally different than My Hero Academia.
I should really finish up on it. I was keeping up while it was still updating, took a break, and got spoiled on the ending, so I haven't finished reading the last arc.

Hmm, thinking about it are there any good superhero mangas aside from this and One Punch Man.
The only other one I can kind of think of is Hero Mask and only 3 chapters were ever translated over a year ago.

Dr. Buni

The art is great. Gonna start reading it later today, thanks for the recommendation, OP!

Also, seems like it is impossible to have manga/anime related threads without this best girl crap nowadays.

Edit: Funnily this best girl thing actually makes some sort of sense in this manga. lol. I am enjoying it, chapter 5 so far.

Nairume

Banned
Oh man, the newest chapters are so hype.
Even Kacchan gets a chance to be awesome.

From what I've heard, it's apparently not left the top 5 since it started getting ranked. Going to guess by its popularity that it'll have an anime within a year or so.

Error

herocomic_zps1463a73c.png

I noticed that chapters 19-21 are out in the wild, but the translastions are so rough. I'll wait for Fallen Angels version.

Fj0823

loved Naruto, hated bleach.

adored the style of those covers

this will allow me to fill the manga void, without having to catch up on the Bleach mess. Ichigo is probably half saiyan by now, and somehow it would make sense

Error

loved Naruto, hated bleach.

adored the style of those covers

this will allow me to fill the manga void, without having to catch up on the Bleach mess. Ichigo is probably half saiyan by now, and somehow it would make sense

I read a random chapter just for shits and giggles, and it had 2 dudes fightings and it was horrible. The art has regressed so much, lots of random blacks in the panels, shitty composition. Kubo just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Lottahands McVillainface sure became one of the creepier villains I've seen in a while real quick. He has real potential to be a great villain.

Also trying to kill Frog Girl means insta-top tier villain status. How dare he.

Ashodin

Lottahands McVillainface sure became one of the creepier villains I've seen in a while real quick. He has real potential to be a great villain.

Also trying to kill Frog Girl means insta-top tier villain status. How dare he.
I'm seriously betting those hands are either

His restraints (like a straight jacket)
Or tied to his power

The first one scares me more because he could be absolutely devastating.

I'm seriously betting those hands are either

His restraints (like a straight jacket)
Or tied to his power

The first one scares me more because he could be absolutely devastating.

I'm hoping it's the second; the lack of any sort of literal power limiters is one of the things I
like about the series thus far.

I wonder if there's a chance any of the kids heroes could die?

Yeah, I'd say it's possible. Not for a while, though. It'd have more impact after we've spent more time with them.

Boko no Hero Academia 14-18

Asui Tsuyu (Frog Lady) Her character... personality.... abilities
EWmof.gif

I also like how the main protag stops becoming goofy when things get serious
Their strategy in the water area was neat

The violence gets somewhat brutal in some scenes... it doesn't look realistic but it just looks more painful compared to other Shonens over the top violence (Eraser heads arm o_O)

Might Guy being pissed is was nice... sadly his powers have truly weakened
(still all those kids now jumped in)

After reading these chapters I am 100% for a team revision where the protags main team is the frog girl and the ball head kid.... the series is just way more amusing with them around and that team chemistry

Dram

After reading these chapters I am 100% for a team revision where the protags main team is the frog girl and the ball head kid.... the series is just way more amusing with them around and that team chemistry
I hope the author tones down the ball head kid's constant need to grope the female heroes.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Read through 21, just couldn't help myself. This series is awesome. After that first panel with all the actual costumes, I was hyped as hell. Can't wait to see what else is in store!

Top Bottom