• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's anime library is rather strong.

entremet

I decided to scroll down to the anime menu of Netflix recently and I was rather impressed by the catalog--One Punch Man, Rurouni Kenshin, Attack on Titan, Gurren Laggan, Naruto, etc.

I used to subscribe to Crunchyroll and recently dropped it since I couldn't get into the new Dragon Ball, which was the main reason I got it. I'm more of a casual anime fan as well, so I don't need the latest stuff, just something well curated and it seems Netflix is doing that.

What are some of the better anime series to watch on there? I watched the shows mentioned above already, many a long time ago.

blakep267

I completely disagree. Hulu and crunchyroll are way better. They have the big series plus a variety of smaller newer stuff as well as older stuff. All the shows you mentioned are on the other services(OPM is on Hulu not CR)

MoeDabs

Every time I want to watch an anime on Netflix, it doesn’t include the dub. I’ve got no issue with subtitles, but sometimes it’s nice putting a show on while I do something else.

entremet

I completely disagree. Hulu and crunchyroll are way better. They have the big series plus a variety of smaller newer stuff

Funnily enough, I cut Hulu recently as well. I never checked their anime stuff. I only checked anime library on a lark and saw some interesting series.

And yeah, Crunchyroll is better for anime overall since it's dedicated to that, but it felt overwhelming.

Every time I want to watch an anime on Netflix, it doesn’t include the dub. I’ve got no issue with subtitles, but sometimes it’s nice putting a show on while I do something else.
You just listen to shows? Must be some crap if you don't need to watch them or pay attention.

Zaru

Strong? Maybe if you're completely new to anime or watch like 2 shows a year.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's still a weak offering overall.
What I like is that they're actually partnering up with some companies to fund shows.

Faiz

Paranoia Agent and Kon's other stuff would be amazing. Stuck in Japanese licensing hell it seems.

Yeah it's frankly a crime his whole library isn't on Blu-Ray here.

I think some of it is in Region B though and been thinking hard about a region free player lately.

Lifeline

Yeah, I was excited till I noticed they didn't have english dubs.

MoeDabs

You just listen to shows? Must be some crap if you don't need to watch them or pay attention.

I realize I didn’t put a lot of information into my post but come off that condescending bullshit. Yeah I like to be able to walk to my kitchen to make a sandwich without missing vital dialogue.

faint.

I'd highly recommend Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai) for fans of relatively lighthearted shounen series. I absolutely loved it and it reminded me greatly of other strong shows like Magi, and at times, the GOAT, Hunter x Hunter.

Ninjimbo

Nah. They have a crappy selection especially since they took down HxH. Crunchyroll and even Funimation's stuff completely destroys them since they keep updating their libraries with new classics.

Netflix's selection is only good if you've never seen anime at all and are looking to jump in. There's good shows on there for sure, but it's still meager compared to what the medium truly offers.

Shit, they don't even have the first season of Mushishi anymore.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Most of the anime-stuff on Netflix besides the originals feels more like its aimed at casual anime watchers imo.

They have some pretty interesting stuff on the upcoming slate. Devilman by Yuasa is gonna be some crazy beautiful stuff.

blakep267

Nah I'm the same way. I don't always like having to be glued to the screen. If I want to clean or something etc I want to put a show on and be able to glance at it

Conan-san

Netflix seriouly need to understand that, no, I'm not intrested in waiting six months after a show has aired to watch it. Ain't the DVD age no more.

And whilst I'm at it, Amazon can take a flying leap with that AniStrike nonsense.

And most of them are not available outside of America - so I'd prefer if Netflicks fucked off and left that stuff to Crunchy where region locking is much easier to bypass.

Pein

Banned
Hulu is way better and it usually includes the dub. Hulu is an under rated source for anime, it gets big and small shows.

Vuci

A lot of the Netflix originals have really distracting CGI animation. Shame. Still, some cool stuff.

always wanted a good list of Netflix anime I can binge watch checking One Punch Man now

anything else

Kill La Kill is a classic so seen it many times anything beyond that

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Netflix seriouly need to understand that, no, I'm not intrested in waiting six months after a show has aired to watch it. Ain't the DVD age no more.

And whilst I'm at it, Amazon can take a flying leap with that AniStrike nonsense.

Nothing not made by Netflix itself comes out day on date or anywhere close, at least in the US. Movies are always after they've come out on DVD/BR, shows usually release seasons only when the new one is about to start. Not sure why anyone expects them to do differently with anime.

blakep267

Hulu is way better and it usually includes the dub. Hulu is an under rated source for anime, it gets big and small shows.
My only knocks against Hulu is the commercial and that they used to get everything(same with kdramas) and now they only get some new shows

Nah. They have a crappy selection especially since they took down HxH. Crunchyroll and even Funimation's stuff completely destroys them since they keep updating their libraries with new classics.

Netflix's selection is only good if you've never seen anime at all and are looking to jump in. There's good shows on there for sure, but it's still meager compared to what the medium truly offers.

Shit, they don't even have the first season of Mushishi anymore.
This is true and they removed FMA and Soul Eater along with not updating Naruto or Bleach

Neo Yokio
Behave

Holmes

I'm not big on anime but I rewatched Ouran High School Host Club for the first time in a decade, and I'm finishing Your Lie in April soon. Maybe I'll watch Kill la Kill next because a few people in this thread are recommending it.

I think I'm getting too old to sit through absurdly long animes now so I enjoy the shorter ones.

I'm not big on anime but I rewatched Ouran High School Host Club for the first time in a decade, and I'm finishing Your Lie in April soon. Maybe I'll watch Kill la Kill next because a few people in this thread are recommending it.

I think I'm getting too old to sit through absurdly long animes now so I enjoy the shorter ones.
I don't know if it's on there, but I highly recommend the Kill la Kill dub if you're going to watch it.

Fbh

It's pretty good in Netflix Switzerland.... except almost all of them that aren't netflix originals are only subtitled in french ...and only french. Because reasons.

Top Bottom