• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

My Airpods come in on Thursday. Can I go to any Apple store and get AppleCare for them? Are they hard to clean at all? I wash inside my ear everyday but wax can build up throughout a day. I would hate to have wax stuck in the Airpods.

This is why I won't be buying wireless headphones. I only like bullet style, and i ruin a pair with drops/wax/washing machine every 3-6 weeks.

So I walked into my campus bookstore not expecting anything and I happened to find the last pair they had in stock. I'm so excited!!

I have a pair of BeatsX and never experienced that. Always just connected and charged exactly as required.

Edit: I've updated to 10.3.2 on my iPhone 5 and haven't tried them since. did you update and suspect a problem with the update?

Nope, there was no recent update. But, I plugged them into my computer, checked that the firmware on them was up to date, and now they work fine. So strange.

Shearie

So I walked into my campus bookstore not expecting anything and I happened to find the last pair they had in stock. I'm so excited!!

I never even thought about looking at my Campus store even they have all the new Apple hardware there. Will start checking there every once in awhile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Had to reboot/reset my AirPods for the first time since buying them. They wouldn't register a double tap or start up at all after pausing. Annoying.

giga

BeatsX $100 again: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-beatsx-earphones-black/5577812.p

I figure this is the best place to ask, but forgive a slightly off topic post. Does anyone else have a pair of the Beats X and have issues with them? When I take them off the charger in the morning, the LED pulses white, won't connect (AirPods work fine, even after weeks of non-use) for a few hours, then randomly work again a few hours later. Is there some super obvious thing I'm missing here? This just started a few days ago and cannot figure out what's wrong. Could it be a hardware issue with the BT connection on my phone?

Sounds faulty. Doesn't happen to me.

JackEtc

Just had to pop in and say that after a few weeks of using these I think they're the best tech purchase I've made in years. Life changing for anyone that spends most of the day with headphones (earbuds) in like myself

I paid resell for them, and had to go to the apple store twice because of manufacturing defect (uneven seam was scratching the inside of my ear, they took care of it no problem), but EVEN SO I am over the moon about how fantastic they are.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So funny to look at all the people complaining that removal of the aux jack was death. Nah, it opened up a world of wireless headphones and life is better for all. No one cares about the audiophile nonsense or charging your phone while using headphones.

JackEtc

So funny to look at all the people complaining that removal of the aux jack was death. Nah, it opened up a world of wireless headphones and life is better for all. No one cares about the audiophile nonsense or charging your phone while using headphones.

I have a 6 and I still got them; when the 7 was revealed I passed on upgrading because of the 3.5mm jack, now I don't give a shit about a headphone jack lmfao

border

I have to imagine that Apple looked at the use-cases for most headphones, and discovered that many if not most people weren't even using them at all. And those that didn't weren't opposed to using them with a free dongle.

I have friends that made fun of the 3.5mm port removal.....and then I'd ask them the last time they used headphones, or if they even owned a set of headphones. They'd kinda just sheepishly admit that they really didn't need or use the jack in the first place.

Been using them since December. Love them to death. Connecting is a little finicky on my Apple Watch and I wish switch off between devices is faster, but it's my favorite pair of headphones that I've ever own. Wireless lives up to the hype.

Just had to pop in and say that after a few weeks of using these I think they're the best tech purchase I've made in years. Life changing for anyone that spends most of the day with headphones (earbuds) in like myself

I paid resell for them, and had to go to the apple store twice because of manufacturing defect (uneven seam was scratching the inside of my ear, they took care of it no problem), but EVEN SO I am over the moon about how fantastic they are.

Truly magic

I have to imagine that Apple looked at the use-cases for most headphones, and discovered that many if not most people weren't even using them at all. And those that didn't weren't opposed to using them with a free dongle.

I have friends that made fun of the 3.5mm port removal.....and then I'd ask them the last time they used headphones, or if they even owned a set of headphones. They'd kinda just sheepishly admit that they really didn't need or use the jack in the first place.

I imagine more the data said that people just used the headphones that came in the box, regardless of the connection type

My left AirPod is having trouble charging sometimes. Needs to be jostled a bit in the case - the place it naturally falls into is no longer the correct one, it seems.

I told my wife I wanted these for my birthday in early June. Ordered them on Monday. Just got a notification today that it should be delivered tomorrow. Thank you baced best buy.

Bboy AJ

I hope the new firmware fixes the issues I've had with my AirPods lately. It isn't as responsive to tapping and pausing and resuming when pulling it out of my ear. Sometimes it won't connect period.

I only had these problems once I updated to the latest iOS version a couple of weeks ago.

Vuze

Has anyone seen any reviews for the AMPS Air wireless buds? They claim to offer Siri support and just wondered how they compare?

https://www.solrepublic.com/amps-air-wireless-buds.html

Edit - ignore as they seem to suck. A shame as I prefer the more inconspicuous look.
I dunno whether or not that's more inconspicuous than AirPods 😀
yNmPBJ8.png

Sol did for a time have amazing BT products when Moto was in charge. Now I would stay away from them like the plague.

I'm hoping the new firmware fix issues I've been having as well. But if it doesn't I might request a new pair mine have gotten really funky with battery and charging.

antibolo

Banned
How are the AirPods in terms of sound "leakage"?

I'm considering getting them but most of my usage would be at the office (cubicle).

Guess Who

Banned
How are the AirPods in terms of sound "leakage"?

I'm considering getting them but most of my usage would be at the office (cubicle).

They are not designed to seal very well, so there's a decent bit of leakage. I hear the BeatsX are better about that if you want the W1 benefits.

antibolo

Banned
I guess the question I really should have asked is are they any worse than the plain wired Apple earpods because that's what I use right now (I keep my volume fairly low to minimize leakage).

Over the ear headphones like the BeatsX are a no-go because they would isolate me too much.

Guess Who

Banned
I guess the question I really should have asked is are they any worse than the plain wired Apple earpods because that's what I use right now (I keep my volume fairly low to minimize leakage).

Over the ear headphones like the BeatsX are a no-go because they would isolate me too much.

Their shape is essentially identical to the wired EarPods, so they seal about exactly the same.

I kind of wish I could pair one AirPod to my Mac and one to my Phone so I can play a game while continuing to listen to a podcast.

Also, resuming play back when removing an AirPod and putting it back in has never worked for me. I wonder if it's because I use Overcast? I suppose I should try it with Music and see if that does it.

I kind of wish I could pair one AirPod to my Mac and one to my Phone so I can play a game while continuing to listen to a podcast.

Also, resuming play back when removing an AirPod and putting it back in has never worked for me. I wonder if it's because I use Overcast? I suppose I should try it with Music and see if that does it.

No I use it with Overcast literally every day. It should work with anything that uses the media controller, so even stuff like Netflix and YouTube.

When you take one out it doesn't pause at all, just keeps playing?

Chorazin

Works fine every day with PocketCasts. Clean them off every once and a while, also make sure Automatic Ear Detection is on under Settings>Bluetooth>the Circled I beside AirPods>Automatic Ear Detection

JackEtc

Their shape is essentially identical to the wired EarPods, so they seal about exactly the same.

I feel like they might be the slightest bit bigger, fill up my ears a little more.

Also any potential buyers, it's worth keeping in mind they also sit better because there's no wire tugging them down

soldat7

I'm having a number of connectivity issues since the latest firmware (3.7.2) was pushed. For example, I cannot connect my AirPods to my MacBook Pro, and the left AirPod sometimes just stops working when paired with my iPhone. Argh...

Edit: Fixed. If this happens to you, try "Forget Device" and re-pair. :)

Every time someone comments on my AirPods and I tell them about it no one knew that they paused when you took one out. To me this is a tent pole feature and so far literally no one has known about it

Works fine every day with PocketCasts. Clean them off every once and a while, also make sure Automatic Ear Detection is on under Settings>Bluetooth>the Circled I beside AirPods>Automatic Ear Detection
Yup, all that is on. What happens is I have my phone in my left pocket, and I take out an AirPod for a few moments and put it in my right pocket, and when I put it back in my ear I just get the connection noise. Playback doesn't resume, and I have to double tap.

Yup, all that is on. What happens is I have my phone in my left pocket, and I take out an AirPod for a few moments and put it in my right pocket, and when I put it back in my ear I just get the connection noise. Playback doesn't resume, and I have to double tap.

Do you have both AirPods in your ear and are just taking one out?

Do you have both AirPods in your ear and are just taking one out?

I usually have one in my ear, alternating throughout the day. I guess I'll try having both in and see if it still doesn't happen. But, yeah, when using just one AirPod, when i take it out and shortly thereafter try to put it back in, I just get the pairing sound and it doesn't resume playback.

I usually have one in my ear, alternating throughout the day. I guess I'll try having both in and see if it still doesn't happen. But, yeah, when using just one AirPod, when i take it out and shortly thereafter try to put it back in, I just get the pairing sound and it doesn't resume playback.

Correct, that is intentional. It'll only do the resume playback if you have both in. It auto-unpairs when both are not in an ear to save battery

Mine does the same thing

Correct, that is intentional. It'll only do the resume playback if you have both in. It auto-unpairs when both are not in an ear to save battery

Mine does the same thing

Ah, that's probably it. Thanks!

Next question: why do the AirPods battery life occasionally show up on the Apple Watch? Sometimes I can tap battery percentage and it shows remaining percentage left for the AirPods (while they are connected to my phone and I'm listening to something) and sometimes they won't.

Ah, that's probably it. Thanks!

Next question: why do the AirPods battery life occasionally show up on the Apple Watch? Sometimes I can tap battery percentage and it shows remaining percentage left for the AirPods (while they are connected to my phone and I'm listening to something) and sometimes they won't.

That I have no idea about. Where are you going on the watch to see the percentage?

I got the beatsx and the powerbeats3 and wow do these sound really good. I like the w1 chip connectivity as they connect easily between my MacBook Pro and iPhone 7. I am not sold completely on the design of the AirPods because I am afraid I'd be an idiot and loose them.

The beats x I use for casual wear like walking around the mall or to and from work. The Powerbeats 3 I wear for workouts and at the beach since I can get rather sweaty just sitting and reading. Plus sun tan lotion.

Chorazin

Went to plug in my AirPods at home to do the firmware update, then saw it was already done and I hadn't plugged them in at all at home since it came out. I guess it doesn't need you to do that anymore, which is pretty rad!

Thought these were an overpriced gimmick, hated the dropping of the 3.5mm jack and was never going to touch them until they were included with the iPhone....

Picked some up last Friday as a replacement for headphones I used at work, they are amazing. I have always been a fan of the earpods and never had complaints, these fit fantastically, the audio is great (seems like more bass than the earpods) and the ability to get up make a drink, collect things from printers, go to the toilet etc without having to unplug has made these my favourite Apple purchase in years! Highly recommend and would hate to be without them now. Changed the double tap to pause/play as I can always just use 'Hey Siri' to access Siri, it's been very handy because I use one airpod at a time and it won't auto play on insert when you use just the one.

How are people finding the battery life of their phones being effected by using them?

3 months later I'm still very happy with these. Glad I decided on them over the BeatsX.

I used to always turn off BT on my phone and turn it on when I used my other BT headphones but now I just leave BT on all the time. Being able to just flip open the case, put on your headphones, and have it ready by the time both AirPods are in your ears is just a great experience.

Vuze

How are people finding the battery life of their phones being effected by using them?
Not at all, I feel. My 5S battery is pretty shitty at this point, so I was worried before I picked them up (always had Bluetooth off before since I didn't use any device) but I can't say I noticed an impact even when Watch + AirPods are paired simultaneously.

The only complaint I have is that they act a little dumb for me - apparently that's not the case for other users.
I'm using my iPad and my phone is charging and off. Why do they pair to the phone instead of the tablet?
I use my phone, pause media there and turn it off, then switch to the iPad - they don't pair with it unless I force them in the notification center.
Used them on the iPad the night before; on my way to uni, only the phone is with me. They don't pair to the latter despite being the only device in reach.

I don't get it. But perhaps I just mis-interpreted the smart and "magic" auto-switching behavior that some users described.

3 months later I'm still very happy with these. Glad I decided on them over the BeatsX.

I used to always turn off BT on my phone and turn it on when I used my other BT headphones but now I just leave BT on all the time. Being able to just flip open the case, put on your headphones, and have it ready by the time both AirPods are in your ears is just a great experience.

Not at all, I feel. My 5S battery is pretty shitty at this point, so I was worried before I picked them up (always had Bluetooth off before since I didn't use any device) but I can't say I noticed an impact even when Watch + AirPods are paired simultaneously.

The only complaint I have is that they act a little dumb for me - apparently that's not the case for other users.
I'm using my iPad and my phone is charging and off. Why do they pair to the phone instead of the tablet?
I use my phone, pause media there and turn it off, then switch to the iPad - they don't pair with it unless I force them in the notification center.
Used them on the iPad the night before; on my way to uni, only the phone is with me. They don't pair to the latter despite being the only device in reach.

I don't get it. But perhaps I just mis-interpreted the smart and "magic" auto-switching behavior that some users described.

Modern bluetooth devices use essentially no power when not paired to anything. You can leave the chip on all the time with no adverse affects. Same with wifi

As for what you're saying Vuze, the AirPods don't have auto-switching they just have very fast switching comparing to other bluetooth devices since you don't have to send the device into pairing mode, it's on your icloud account

Vuze

Modern bluetooth devices use essentially no power when not paired to anything. You can leave the chip on all the time with no adverse affects. Same with wifi

As for what you're saying Vuze, the AirPods don't have auto-switching they just have very fast switching comparing to other bluetooth devices since you don't have to send the device into pairing mode, it's on your icloud account
I see. Yeah, the switching is indeed very fast and accessible - I was just under the impression that some posts and opinions I've read over the past months mentioned something akin to auto-switching and I never got it to work heh.
That being said, would be a nice feature to have.

Top Bottom