• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
oeWWCxX.png

Come on in, guys!

It's that time again. Twice a year, 16-20 Americans hit the beach for 39 days and test their bodies and minds as they compete in challenges and vote each other out with the goal of taking home the title of "Sole Survivor" and the $1,000,000 prize.

On Wednesday, March 8th, 20 former castaways return in the show's 500th episode to the Mamanuca Islands in Fiji for another chance to show us what they've got. This group includes three winners, two fourth time players, some of the best to never win, and Sierra Dawn Thomas.

This is the fourth ever "all stars" season made up entirely of returning players, and as a result, we should expect big strategic moves, intense challenges, Shyamalan twists, and epic blindsides. It's always a good time to jump into the show, and YES - "this show is still on TV." Survivor still averages 8-12 million viewers per episode, almost always winning its timeslot, and sometimes the entire programming night. Survivor finally put American Idol out of business last year. It's also known to be one of the most authentic reality shows on TV. They really do waste away out there to try to win big.

If you feel so inclined, I reccommend playing Survivor Fantasy. You can play against 14 other strangers or organize drafts with friends (or people on this board) as long as you do so before the season starts. I'm betting with friends on mine, hoping to take home my own grand prize.

Twists

• Hidden Immunity Idol Placement - Idols will be placed in different places every time one is found. They may be hidden at camp, at a challenge, or even at tribal council. These items are a staple in the game and can keep someone safe from being voted out if played properly.
  • No Revotes After a Tie - Unlike previous seasons, at a tied vote, there is no revote. Instead, players are given a chance to either come to a consensus or the vote goes directly to rocks or a fire making challenge depending on what stage of the game this happens at.

Starting Tribes

-NUKU-

PhYR86o.png

Cirie Fields - Survivor: Panama, Survivor: Micronesia - Fans Vs. Favorites, Survivor: Heroes Vs. Villains. Famous for getting off the couch, facing her fears, and executing big strategic moves. Considered by many to be the best to never win.
J.T. Thomas - Survivor: Tocantins, Survivor: Heroes Vs. Villains. Kind, hard working country boy who loses teeth dominating in challenges. Former winner. Famously gave a hidden immunity idol to supervillain Russell Hantz.
Andrea Boehlke - Survivor: Redemption Island, Survivor: Caramoan - Fans Vs. Favorites. A strategic player in her two seasons who battled her way back from Redemption Island in her first season and was voted off as a threat her second time around.
Brad Culpepper - Survivor: Blood Vs. Water. Former NFL player who came into the game with his wife. As an alpha player he controlled several votes before being voted off, and was yelled at "F you, Brad Culpepper!"
Sierra Dawn Thomas - Survivor: Worlds Apart. Blue collar work ethic, barrel racer, and a last minute stand in this season for Natalie Anderson who backed out for medical reasons.
Ozzy Lusth - Survivor: Cook Islands, Survivor: Micronesia - Fans Vs. Favorites, Survivor: South Pacific. One of Survivor's most popular players, but divisive among super fans. The jungle boy who climbs trees, swims like a dolphin, catches fish with ease, and dominates challenges. The one component of the game he has never been able to master is the social aspect, which caused him to narrowly lose his first time out.
Debbie Wanner - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Kooky contestant with a million jobs, skills, and hobbies. Shown to appreciate hard work and loyalty.
Tai Trang - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Loves all living things, and famously befriended a chicken he named Mark. Couldn't own his game and lost at final tribal council, but awarded prize money by musical artist Sia for the kindness he showed for animals.
Sarah Lacina - Survivor: Cagayan. A police officer with a keen read on people and a desire to control the game, Sarah couldn't be trusted by the other police officer on her season and was voted out.
Zeke Smith - Survivor: Millenials Vs. Gen X. Describes himself as an old person in a young person's body. A super fan who played aggressively and is one of Probst's favorite new contestants. Playing this season back to back after the last one and unknown by the others.

-MANA-

yUM26nf.png

Michaela Bradshaw - Survivor: Millenials Vs. Gen X. Physical player who, despite her efforts, wears her heart on her sleeve. Put it all on the line and overplayed too early, getting voted out as a major threat to win. Playing this season back to back after the last one and unknown by the others.
Malcolm Freberg - Survivor: Philippines, Survivor: Caramoan - Fans Vs. Favorites. Survivor's most popular golden boy since Ozzy, Malcolm is easy to get along with, decent in challenges, and made some bold moves to try and progress his himself within the game. Played back to back in his two prior seasons.
Hali Ford - Survivor: Worlds Apart. No collar approach to life, law school graduate, and considers body surfing her number three passion in life.
Jeff Varner - Survivor: The Australian Outback, Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance. Played in the second season of the show where he was the most strategic player. Gave up his shot at immunity for peanut butter and was voted out due to an old tie breaker rule. Voted back onto the show by fans 29 seasons later, but overplayed early and was voted out.
Troyzan Robertson - Survivor: One World. Was the last man standing among a group of female contestants and upon winning individual immunity, proclaimed "THIS IS MY ISLAND. YOU CAN'T BEAT ME." Guess how that went.
Sandra Diaz-Twine - Survivor: Pearl Islands, Survivor: Heroes Vs. Villains. The only two time winner in the history of Survivor. While not a challenge threat by any means, she masterminded and perfect the "anyone but me" strategy where her strong social bonds allowed her to move between alliances and vote out one threat at a time until she sat at the end each time with little blood on her hands and friends on the jury.
Caleb Reynolds - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Former Big Brother contestant who came into Survivor as a member of the beauty tribe. Was medically evacuated in a fourth wall breaking episode where he almost died from overexertion in extreme elements. Never attended a tribal council.
Ciera Eastin - Survivor: Blood Vs. Water, Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance. Voted out her mom and forced a rock draw at a tie vote during her first season, and encouraged the all stars in her second chance to make "BIG MOVES", Ciera plays aggressively even if it shoots her in the foot.
Aubry Bracco - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. A brains tribe member who worked her way through the game with a few tight allies while showing that she could hold her own both physically and mentally. The jury couldn't see her game that the audience saw, and she came in as runner up in her season which Jeff Probst hates.
Tony Vlachos - Survivor: Cagayan. Agreed upon as the biggest immediate threat in this season, Tony played a crazy game his first time out. He voted out his allies, found mutiple hidden immunity idols, built "Spy shacks", came to tribal council with his "bag of tricks" and a smile on his face, and imitates llamas like no other. Winner of his season.

Previous Season Threads

Survivor 33: Millennials vs. Gen X |OT| Gen X vs. Millennials
Survivor 32: Kaôh Rōng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rōng, will.
Survivor 31: Cambodia - Second Chance |OT| Starring Phoebe. And also a fish.
Survivor: Worlds Apart |OT| Season 30, 15 years of blindsides
Survivor: San Juan del Sur: Blood vs Water 2: Nicaragua 3 - Exile Island 7 |OT|
Survivor 28: Cagayan |OT| Colby votes out Keith again
Survivor: Blood vs Water |OT| Favorites + Family
Survivor 26: Caramoan |OT| Fans (Recruits) vs. Favorites (Crazy People)
Survivor: Philippines |OT| Return of the Cart-Offs
Survivor: One World |OT| Thread of Stupid Name, Promising Twist
Survivor: South Pacific |OT| of Dragon Slaying and Russell 2.0?
Survivor 22 Redemption Island! Featuring Russell and Rob
Survivor: Nicaragua Starting right now!
Survivor: Heroes vs Villains - Thursdays at 8:00pm ET/PT (beginning Feb. 4th)!
Survivor Samoa: Premieres Thursday, Sept. 17 8:00pm ET/PT
Survivor: Tocantins
Ken "King of Smash" Hoang enters Survivor: Gabon

That's as far back as these threads seem to go, and season 17 is a stretch obviously. :)

IxSAmD3.jpg

That's it. Got nothin' for ya. Head Back to camp!

Ganhyun

So I was looking and saw Sarah, who Tony got booted out. Then see Tony on the other team... I wonder if she forgives him to goes after him?

Didn't finish Millennials vs Gen X. First time in years I didn't watch a whole season. This one has me intrigued. Looking forward to diving back in.

llehuty

Thanks for the OT, and I love the thread title!

Idols at challenges or Tribal?
Holy shit definitely time to come back.
They already did idols at challenges a couple of seasons ago IIRC (it was quite fun). I think having them at tribal is new, but how could this work? Curious and ready for last minute shenanigans.

I'd never honestly felt Survivor fatigue hit as hard as it did at the announcement of this season at the last one's finale.

I've been watching regularly since the very first episode of the first season (long before "Borneo" was appended) but even a cast that on paper should be pretty exciting is doing nothing for me.

Life had a heavy impact on my ability to stay current on the show over the last few seasons, and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up for this one.

kirblar

It's gotta be the top of the voting Urn, right?

This cast is definitely a misfire, hopefully it's a good season despite it. They needed a way better theme/concept.

Bubble

Neo Member
Looking forward to this season. Kind of weird considering there was just a "returnee season" not to long ago.

While I would absolutely love another Sandra win, I don't think she can do it again. However, if she makes it further than the other winners, it's a win for me. Everything else is a bonus.

Also, hoping for Mrs. "BIG MOVES" and "She voted out her mom!" to be first boot. Can't stand her. It is about time somebody finally put her in her place.

Hoodbury

They already did idols at challenges a couple of seasons ago IIRC (it was quite fun). I think having them at tribal is new, but how could this work? Curious and ready for last minute shenanigans.
It's gotta be somewhere in the voting hut where they write down the names.

It's gotta be the top of the voting Urn, right?

That is definitely one place they could (and should) put it.

Another great place would be inside the tribal immunity idol. Almost looks like it can be opened up. And by the way, how badass is this tribal idol?

Game_changers_immunity_idol.png

Thanks for the OT, and I love the thread title!

San Juan del Sur is the last one I legitimately remember watching the majority of.
Caramoan is the last I legitimately remember start to finish.

Unlike Amazing Race (which I only dropped when football screwed recordings) I have to take breaks from Survivor every so often.

Ready to see some hidden Idol fuckery.

Excited for a new season, even if the turn around was short.

I will admit up front I think this show has a lot to learn from Jung Jong-yeon and his shows (The Genius & Society Game) when it comes to constructing challenges and placing idols, but there is something to be said for good-ol "starve your contestants" gameplay.

Still can't believe they brought back Sandra, though. smh

jett

D-Member
Will watch.

Interesting to see so few posts in the last Survivor thread compared to the rest.

Will watch.

Interesting to see so few posts in the last Survivor thread compared to the rest.

I posted those in reverse order, so the thread at the bottom of the list is a thread from 2008 for season 17, and centers more around a contestant than the season itself. The thread at the top of the list for last season had 33 pages. Not bad! And this one is off to a good start. Thanks guys!

Jigorath

Banned
I'm hoping this is good. I enjoyed the hell out of Millennials vs Gen X despite the lackluster winner. They should have brought back Jay instead of Zeke though.

I'd love to see Tony go far, but he has such a huge reputation. And judging by the pregame interviews pretty much everyone is targeting him.

jett

D-Member
I posted those in reverse order, so the thread at the bottom of the list is a thread from 2008 for season 17, and centers more around a contestant than the season itself. The thread at the top of the list for last season had 33 pages. Not bad! And this one is off to a good start. Thanks guys!

I was talking about the millennials season. Which has half the amount of pages as its predecessor.

Jigorath

Banned
This is such a weird cast.

First you got the legitimate "legends" or "game changers" or whatever (Cirie, Sandra, Ozzy, Tony, maybe JT)

Then you got the players who were impressive enough on their first time through but probably should have been saved for a second chance season instead (Aubry, Tai, Debbie, Michaela, Zeke)

Then you got the randos there to fill space I guess (Culpepper, Sierra, Hali, Caleb, Troyzan, Sarah)

That's our cast.

They really should have just done another Second Chance ballot. You can get at least 5 good picks from MvGX alone.

So damn ready for this season. I'm torn between wanting Sandra out first vote and not. Could be entertaining both ways.

I really wish they could get Colby one last time to try redeeming himself for Heroes vs Villains.

He hated what the show had become, he'd be worthless.

First you got the legitimate "legends" or "game changers" or whatever (Cirie, Sandra, Ozzy, Tony, maybe JT)

What?!

Catvoca

Banned
I got excited when I saw it was another all stars season but this cast is ehhhh. Even the legends that are coming back are some of the ones I liked the least or did not need to see any more of.

They really should have just done another Second Chance ballot. You can get at least 5 good picks from MvGX alone.

Until recently it has been rumored that season 36 would follow in the tradition of 16 and 26 and be a FvF season. But then the other day, Redmond, a reliable Survivor cast leaker, stated that 35 and 36 will both feature all new casts.

The one tradition I wish they hadn't broken with this season, just for shits and giggles, is casting Candace, who has played every seven seasons since #13 (Cook Islands). She later played in 20 and 27. This season marks seven seasons since she's played, but no Candace. :(

I really wish they could get Colby one last time to try redeeming himself for Heroes vs Villains.

I feel like we'll see him one more time in a Survivor: Legends season, the final season, etc. Hopefully with Jerri by his side as always.

Catvoca

Banned
How were the last few seasons of the show? The last one I watched was second chance. Any worth catching up on?

How were the last few seasons of the show? The last one I watched was second chance. Any worth catching up on?

Both seasons ended up being pretty decent surprisingly. GenX-Millinials being the most surprising. Koah Rong was great, but a lot of people were mad afterward due to winner, editing and fan talk of winners edit during the season.

Catvoca

Banned
Both seasons ended up being pretty decent surprisingly. GenX-Millinials being the most surprising. Koah Rong was great, but a lot of people were mad afterward due to winner, editing and fan talk of winners edit during the season.

Huh, when I saw the announcement of each of the seasons I thought they both looked pretty poor but I guess I might have to check them out!

kirblar

I'm hoping this is good. I enjoyed the hell out of Millennials vs Gen X despite the lackluster winner. They should have brought back Jay instead of Zeke though.

I'd love to see Tony go far, but he has such a huge reputation. And judging by the pregame interviews pretty much everyone is targeting him.
MvGX was edited exactly like Gabon. Which made complete sense after seeing who won.

UberTag

I feel like we'll see him one more time in a Survivor: Legends season, the final season, etc. Hopefully with Jerri by his side as always.
I've enjoyed Jerri a ton in each of her return appearances. Both the way she dogged Rupert for his idiotic beach shelter before it got flooded in All-Stars and her romantic chemistry with Coach in Heroes vs. Villains.

Jigorath

Banned

I'm not much of an Ozzy fan, but what he was accomplishing in Cook Islands was nothing short of incredible. He was almost single-handedly winning challenges for his team day after day. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the single most impressive challenge competitor in the series history.

Grexeno

I've enjoyed Jerri a ton in each of her return appearances. Both the way she dogged Rupert for his idiotic beach shelter before it got flooded in All-Stars and her romantic chemistry with Coach in Heroes vs. Villains.
Always remember that Jerri was like 2 inches away from winning Heroes vs. Villains maybe

All I want is someone on the chopping block frantically scrambling for the idol as the vote is happening. I imagine it playing out like a comedy sequence rather than the hyper-dramatic tone it usually has.

coy

I just finished Australian Survivor 2 weeks ago knowing this new season is coming up fast. This season looks killer with the returnees. Though I don't much participate in the discussion (as I watch it next day after), I'll be reading this thread throughout and listening to RHAP in the between time. Can't wait!

I just finished Australian Survivor 2 weeks ago knowing this new season is coming up fast. This season looks killer with the returnees. Though I don't much participate in the discussion (as I watch it next day after), I'll be reading this thread throughout and listening to RHAP in the between time. Can't wait!

Australian Survivor was SO GOOD! Great contestants and I like the winner's story. LaPaglia was great as the host, pretty much perfectly copying everything Probst does. Who was your favorite, and why was it Nick? :)

DJKhaled

Going for Caleb. Sucks what happened to him last time. Fuck Tai. He was my favourite that season but he ended up being a complete idiot and a bit of an asshole. Michaela is cool so I'd be happy to see her go far.

I'm not much of an Ozzy fan, but what he was accomplishing in Cook Islands was nothing short of incredible. He was almost single-handedly winning challenges for his team day after day. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the single most impressive challenge competitor in the series history.

And intentionally going to Redemption Island so that he could make sure a threat didn't come back. Insane. Would be stupid for anyone else but he knew he'd win. He does strength, balance, and mental challenges to a superb degree. Dude is easily the best competitor the show has ever seen.

I have my doubts he can still do it this far in to his 30's but I guess we'll see. I don't know that he will win, but I surely want him to over anyone else.

I really hope Ciera goes away episode one. I hate her and voting for her mom was not a big deal - her mom was going anyway and was ok with being voted out by her daughter.

Australian Survivor was SO GOOD! Great contestants and I like the winner's story. LaPaglia was great as the host, pretty much perfectly copying everything Probst does.

Australian Survivor was great. The final challenge was basically a movie - they really couldn't ask for more there. The pacing (24 eps?) and level of survival events (storms, starving, etc) really helped too. To be perfectly honest CBS could buy the rights and air this as a season of regular Survivor, and the only thing you'd say is missing is Probst. The quality level is bang-on. Pretty much recommend Aus Survivor and Society Game to anyone desperate for more Survivor seasons.

spyder_ur

Pretty damn excited about this - snuck up on me. I've gotten back into survivor the last 3-4 seasons with my girlfriend. Every season we pick 5 players and do a pool, counting points by episode. Here are the scoring categories (not that anyone cares):

Gameplay
Merge: 1
Top 5: 2
Final 3: 5
Winner: 10
Finding Idol: 2
Individual Immunity: 1

Love/Shame/Miscellaneous
Medical Evacuation: -2
On screen nudity (covered by a blurcle on TV): 1
Being Blindsided (as indicated by #blindside): -1
Name in a hashtag: 2
Making out between contestants: 1
Aggressive food acquisition: 1
Having someone play an idol to protect you: 1

Note: Aggressive Food Acquisition was added when Ken speared the motherfuckin' octopus last season - we'll add categories for deserving feats as we go along.

Michaela doing that whole challenge topless last season was the closest we've came to breaking up.

I wish there was an easy way to watch Australian Survivor in the US. Maybe one day it'll go on Amazon or something. I'd pay for it for sure, but messing with region blocking isn't worth my time and frustration.

I agree on the competition basis, but I feel like that's what the show has changed from more than anything. Call him a legend or something that's fine, but I would never consider him a game changer. It's hard to really say much though compared to some of the rest of the cast. He is a tier above the rest for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom