• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What fictional character death phased you the most?

ElRenoRaven

tumblr_mtqla7iMYX1qcs2l4o7_400.gif

Brendan Fraser's character, Dr. Cox's best friend, in Scrubs

Gotta go with that one. That whole episode was heart breaking. Also the little old lady in the My Old Lady episode of Scrubs. Then last but not least the 3 patients dying on Cox on Scrubs and the My Fallen Idols episode after was powerful.

EulaCapra

Nashville
Rayna. The main fucking character goes six feet under. When her girls sing a slower and sad reprise of "A Life That's Good" on Rayna's deathbed, I. COULD. NOT. HANDLE. Had to quit the series.

Scandal
Liz. There she is just talking in an office when BAM, she gets clubbed over and over with a golf club. When less gore than Game of Thrones, it's still one of the most unsettling deaths.

Jane the Virgin
Michael. One of the most compelling and sweetest TV love triangles for 3.5 seasons suddenly switched gears and had Jane marry and lose her virginity to Michael... and adopt her miracle baby. Until Michael died of surgery complications.

Life is Strange video game
Chloe. Yes, Chloe is your standard bratty teen who's lived a hard life, but knowing her fates whether her father died or not was heartbreaking. Especially since her living or dying is essential to the whole narrative.

I have to give the award to The End of Evangelion in general.
I struggle to pick any single death in it, but Asuka being defeated, mutilated, and devoured by the MP Evas fucked me up real good.

The most recent one was just today for me.

Steins;Gate

When Moeka killed Mayuri, shooting her right in front of Okabe.

I was every bit as depressed as I was infuriated, not only because of what happened, but who did it as well. And the thing is, I'm still nowhere near done playing it, having yet to even get a single ending, so I'm already expecting things to only get worse.

This is a good answer. I don't remember being depressed or infuriated, but it was incredibly shocking. It completely changed the story.

Rorschach, first time a death in anything fucked me up for weeks.

I was so mad Rorschach died, he was my favorite character. I also loved Dr.Manhattan, so like it was even worse when he kills him. I remember throwing the graphic novel I had of it across the room, leaving it there for two weeks then, coming back to it to finish the last remaining pages.

I have an original issue from the original run of Watchmen framed on my wall, it happens to be the sixth issue, where Rorschach is interviewed by the Prison psych.

Also Nineteen-Eighty-Four as well as Brave New World, when I was younger and realized, we were already there or heading into it.

necrosis

Katanagatari -
Togame's death easily wins this contest for me. Watching her relationship with Shichika blossom over the course of the series, only to have it end on such a tragic note, absolutely fucked me up. On top of that, its thematic importance cannot be understated.

I could honestly talk about this series -- and this scene in particular -- forever, so I'll cut myself short here. But yeah.

Jaraghan

Bioshock Infinite DLC

Where Elizabeth gets beaten and dies beside the Little Sister after what she has been through her whole life.
That part fucked me up first time I played it.

Pau

My pick is from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
It's not even a character we ever get to meet. But just seeing Iroh celebrating his dead son's birthday utterly destroys me. I can't hear the song he sings without crying.

Rei Hino - Sailor Moon

having finally accepted Usagi as her future Queen and friend (and in this shippers kind love interest) only to walk to her own death so Moon had time to save the day crushed me so fucking hard. Love Mars so much in the anime.
I recently rewatched Sailor Moon since only ever seeing a few epispdes out of order and this was probably one of the most badass death scenes ever. Rei gives it her all.

Todd
from Chaos Walking
But he's not really dead! :(

sTiTcH AU

I never liked scrubs at all and then this episode was on TV and I decided to watch it and it really got me. Now its my all time favorite show and I watch season 1-8 at least once a year.

Gonna go with a gaming related one.

Eva from MGS4 when she jumped into the fire when Big Bosses (not really) remains were lit up. Snake going in after her and screaming out for otacon really got me.

The Force Awakens:
Han Solo
I think that was the first time I teared up in a theater?

Cowboy Bebop:
Spike
I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when that happened and that really mad me sad.

250px-MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg

your own "death" because then you see how it affects your partner, who is likely in the form of some kind of nostalgic or favorite character design
something only really possible in a videogame

250px-MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg

your own "death" because then you see how it affects your partner, who is likely in the form of some kind of nostalgic or favorite character design
something only really possible in a videogame
Preach it, man. The music makes that whole moment even more emotional, especially the walk down the stairs. This is one of my favorite games of all time.

Krillin's first death
in Dragon Ball. Utterly shocking and depressing. This was before they got all revival happy with the dragon balls.

StoneFox

Godzilla
- Godzilla vs Destoroyah

The ending scene of Godzilla's meltdown really stuck with me as a kid. It had me all fucked up.
I still get sad remembering the ending to that movie :( It was my first Godzilla film too!

Adding to the thread, there are two deaths that have stuck with me. The first was in a book called The Book Thief.
Not really so much a death in particular, but the way that the personification of death AKA grim reaper was saddened by the deaths of children. How he cared for them more than adults and how much he hated his job when faced with them. He feels "haunted by humans" and I thought it was a very interesting narrator.

The second is in Watership Down. Namely, the end.
The scene of Hazel dying and seeing the rabbit god/demon taking him to the afterlife. Made me cry. Bittersweet and beautiful.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
You guys remember the ONE character from Naruto that was right the entirety of the story. He was right, he was always right. He was killed yet Sakura lives on...

Also Transformers The movie... Murders so many murders...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Came in expecting Buffy spoilers
Tara
, its right there in the OP.

Media

The big ones from Angel. (Would you like me to lie to you now? 😢😢)
The big ones from Buffy.
The big ones from Firefly.

Recently, all five deaths from the last episode of SPN. Fuck you guys seriously.

FromAtoX

Childhood's End.
The whole planet earth and the human race gone. And the last man watching it happned

Depressed me for a week.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Game of Thrones

Ned dying is the most shocking moment of any TV death I have ever seen. Most shows you know everyone but a group of characters will never die, no matter what happens, they will survive and you know if there's a show like Lost that kills off those characters, at least you know the main character won't. This was a show that told you that not even the main character could survive this show and that happened in season 1. Completely blindsided me.

The red wedding was also very shocking because it had been 2 seasons since Ned died, and I honestly was starting to believe Rob had a mighty strong plot shield and the Red Wedding showed me how wrong I was by not only killing him but his wife, mother, unborn son and completely seminating any hope you had that the bad guys would lose for once.

Even though we only had Oberyn Martell for 1 season and a handful of episodes, he had quickly become one of my favorite characters because he was truly one of the only good people in Westeros and he had a good reason for wanting revenge against the Lannisters. Not much shocks me in TV but his death gave me chills when it happened, it was so goddam brutal that sometimes when someone posts a video with it, I shift my eyes since I don't want to see someone I liked so much die in such a horrible way.

Media

Game of Thrones

Ned dying is the most shocking moment of any TV death I have ever seen. Most shows you know everyone but a group of characters will never die, no matter what happens, they will survive and you know if there's a show like Lost that kills off those characters, at least you know the main character won't. This was a show that told you that not even the main character could survive this show and that happened in season 1. Completely blindsided me.

The red wedding was also very shocking because it had been 2 seasons since Ned died, and I honestly was starting to believe Rob had a mighty strong plot shield and the Red Wedding showed me how wrong I was by not only killing him but his wife, mother, unborn son and completely seminating any hope you had that the bad guys would lose for once.

Even though we only had Oberyn Martell for 1 season and a handful of episodes, he had quickly become one of my favorite characters because he was truly one of the only good people in Westeros and he had a good reason for wanting revenge against the Lannisters. Not much shocks me in TV but his death gave me chills when it happened, it was so goddam brutal that sometimes when someone posts a video with it, I shift my eyes since I don't want to see someone I liked so much die in such a horrible way.

As a book reader, I covered my eyes as soon as he hit the dirt. No way was I watching that. Still have been able to avoid seeing it.

KraytarJ

Game of Thrones
Ygritte. It's not super often I unconditionally like a GoT character but she was one of the few. Seeing her death after the preceding spat she had with Jon culminate in them facing off against each other in a battle to the death only for it to end with her being shot down just as they were finally about to come together again just destroyed me.

Sheroking

Back when TV wasn't a graveyard every time we hit sweeps week, this one got me good. My child brain expected Buffy to jump out and save the day or something.

As likable as
Ben
was, this is a case of the execution jarring you more than the character himself. I mean, he was in, what, 3 episodes over 3 years?

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

:(

*salutes*

My pick is from Daredevil Season 1 -
Ben Urich, they did a surprisingly good job at getting me attached to him without me realizing it. I kinda think of him as the real protagonist looking back.

dreams

This...

And
Sturm Brightblade
in Dragon Lance, destroyed me when I was a kid.

Of course,
Maes Hughes
in FMA
OMG I honestly didn't expect any Dragonlance responses but YES that one was so hard to take and was going to be my answer too. Also
Flint :'(

Sirius Black
in Harry Potter, because he was my fave character and it was so unexpected.

Harry Potter's
Sirius Black was George R.R. Martin levels of cruelty, looking back. Oh you discovered a father figure you never knew you had, and you can live with him? And he's going to adopt you and everything will be fine, after 15 years of abuse and torment?

Nah fam.

weekev

Banned
Harry Potter

the double fuck you of cute things in Harry Potter when JK Rowling kills Hedwig then a few hundred pages later knocks off Dobby too.

Put the title of the show, movie, game or book whatever above the character and use spoiler tags please. For me it's probably:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tara's death, every time I watch it I desperately hope it doesn't happen this time, but then when it does right after she gets back together with Willow it's just completely heartbreaking, the way it happens, how sudden it is, how unfair and unexpected it is, just like it happens in real life I suppose.

Wow beaten to it by the OP.

That's mine too.

a more recent one:

RWBY:
Pyrrha Arkos. Such a great character, with so much skill and promise, cut down after she finally declared her love, all because she took on a fight she honestly had no business fighting at that time. But her last words, and dying with no trace of a body, seconds before she could have been rescued by Ruby, it was just such a massive downer.

Neverending Story

"Come on
Artax
, what's the matter?"

If that doesn't fuck you up nothing will.

the guy who gets fucked up trying to get through the sphynx gates messed me up more
if you're talking about named characters then the bunnies in watership down, since they spoke english it made it that much more fucked up to me

Chuckie

Game of Thrones

Robb Stark. And not even the death itself (which was already horrible) but the way they paraded his corpse with his direwolfs head sown on around while chanting 'King in the North, King in the North'

It made me actually ill in the stomache

Kevdo

Four pages and nobody has pointed out that the word is "fazed" not "phased"?

I really didn't want to be the one to do it lol

For me,
Ofelia
in Pan's Labyrinth was just awful and depressed me for a week.

Also
everyone
in Wolf's Rain. Talk about things going south quickly.

Ryoko
in Tenchi Universe hit pretty hard,
she
was my favorite character by far.

Top Bottom