• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Laws00

I'm definitely after that King of Spirits 2. It looks like a decent racing game with competent 3D engine.

You should also look into getting another hidden gem: Drift King Shutokou Battle '97 with it's decent FMV and game play.

VmBv6B.gif

Thanks will do.

I'm looking at the back of he manual (which I need to take pictures of) and they have ads for car magazines on the back.
I wonder if those magazines are still published to this day

I initially wanted it because I thought it was Wangan Midnight at first when I looked at it lol

D.Lo

Touge King the Spirits games (by Cave!) Are so-so at best.

I had an afternoon of fun with them but they are pretty janky. Mostly about tuning the engines to beat times.

I've made a list of import shooters that are under $70 that seem to be pretty good. I have all of the US Saturn titles I want, so I'm changing regions. If there is something not here that should be, do tell.

Parodius Da Deluxe
Dezameon 2
Sol Divide
Fantasy Zone
Twin Bee
Sexy Parodius
Game Paradise
Gunbird
Donpachi
Layer Section
Soykyugurentia

Layer Section is one of my favorites. I have a dedicated tate PVM setup, and it gets a lot of play there. It's a beautiful game that pushes a lot of 2D effects and the soundtrack bangs. Easily one of my top Saturn games!.

Can someone please explain to me why, not even on the sketchiest of Chinese bootleggy sites, are new generic Saturn controllers being made available? There are DOZENS of listings for Saturn-style USB controllers, but not ACTUAL Saturn controllers? Why? Those buggers are getting kinda scarce these days....surely there is money to be had in it?

Khaz

Can someone please explain to me why, not even on the sketchiest of Chinese bootleggy sites, are new generic Saturn controllers being made available? There are DOZENS of listings for Saturn-style USB controllers, but not ACTUAL Saturn controllers? Why? Those buggers are getting kinda scarce these days....surely there is money to be had in it?

The plug is proprietary, can't be sourced easily.

eXistor

Layer Section is one of my favorites. I have a dedicated tate PVM setup, and it gets a lot of play there. It's a beautiful game that pushes a lot of 2D effects and the soundtrack bangs. Easily one of my top Saturn games!.

Adding to the recommendations. Layer Section is one of the better shooters I've played and it's still pretty cheap (I think I paid 20-ish Euro). I'd love to have a tate setup myself, but I'd really have to get something like a Framemeister I think so I can play it on an LCD. I tried turning my CRT on its side, but instantly saw discoloring, so I prompty put it back; don't wanna fuck my CRT up!

The plug is proprietary, can't be sourced easily.

Can't you repurpose a 3rd party controller extension cord? I remember doing that years ago for Saturn compatibility with my multi-cthulhu arcade stick.

Curiously, I notice the Tototek PS-> Saturn adapters terminate in pretty official looking Saturn leads as well.

Khaz

The port isn't exactly a black box. I think there's just not enough interest.

Yeah but the only reasons there is a slew of USB controllers is because SEGA made a few ten years ago and sold the moulds. The Saturn plug is nothing standard like a D-sub or super successful like the PS/PS2, replicating it would need some investment and more engineering than just buying/copying an existing mould. Repurposing old parts isn't feasible either, as you'd want a steady source for your assembly line.

I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself though, using the shell and buttons of a new USB controller with the cable and board of an old broken original controller.

Yeah but the only reasons there is a slew of USB controllers is because SEGA made a few ten years ago and sold the moulds. The Saturn plug is nothing standard like a D-sub or super successful like the PS/PS2, replicating it would need some investment and more engineering than just buying/copying an existing mould. Repurposing old parts isn't feasible either, as you'd want a steady source for your assembly line.

I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself though, using the shell and buttons of a new USB controller with the cable and board of an old broken original controller.

The thing is also, on the same "cheap China stuff" sites I can order new Saturn extension cables in various quantities, so someone is still making that connector. They're just not making the controller guts to match. No clue why.
Are the on-board 74153 chips difficult to source?

The thing is also, on the same "cheap China stuff" sites I can order new Saturn extension cables in various quantities, so someone is still making that connector. They're just not making the controller guts to match. No clue why.
Are the on-board 74153 chips difficult to source?

I don't see it on Digikey so it might not be made anymore. There are sources for it but I don't know enough about them to know if they buy from the manufacturer or just have excess parts sourced from a warehouse.

empo

Arrived faster than expected from japan so I don't have any video cable to hook it up yet.
Pretty excited only had 1 friend with a Saturn growing up and I don't remember playing anything other than Sega Rally and Virtua Cop.

I don't see it on Digikey so it might not be made anymore. There are sources for it but I don't know enough about them to know if they buy from the manufacturer or just have excess parts sourced from a warehouse.

This appears to be the newest iteration of the chip: http://www.ti.com/product/SN74LS153/samplebuy?CMP=conv-poasamples#this

Which is on Digikey:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?WT.z_se_ps=1&keywords=SN74LS153

I assume this would be interchangeable with the original 74153, if TI haven't messed with the design too much, and one could theoretically make new controllers using the two-chip method that page described. Combine those parts with the molds, membranes, and cables out in the wild possibly still being made.... Someone out there reading this.... please do it!

piggychan

Arrived faster than expected from japan so I don't have any video cable to hook it up yet.
Pretty excited only had 1 friend with a Saturn growing up and I don't remember playing anything other than Sega Rally and Virtua Cop.

nice. I might try and remember to pick up that Gussun Oyoyo S. I need more puzzle games for the Saturn.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wow, way to start a collection, man. Congrats and enjoy your new toy. :)
Bonus thumbs-up for Steep Slope Sliders, a personal favourite of mine.

I'm absolutely loving my purchase, play every night for a few hours (some times much longer). Haven't touched my Xbox PS4 or switch since it came.

My brother loves steep slope sliders, 1st game he played and started singing the hold me cross song. It's crazy how many of these games I still remember how to play 20 years later.

Panzer dragoon saga alone made saturn worth it. Its top 5 jrpgs ever made. Fantastic artwork and music.

sega is the second best jrpg company. highly under appreciated.

Warnen

Yeah they were not cheap but had to sell off a room full of other colectible stuff so had the funds to treat myself. Still got some more stuff on the way (rabbit, radiant silver gun, D&D, In the hunt, Wolf Fang SS and Kieo 2), but after that I'm tapped out for a while.

Got some realtives over in Japan (military), they keeping an eye out for some of the shooters I don't got yet.

Warnen

Damn... That's some fine haul.

How does Nekketsu Oyako hold up today? Is it still fun to play, or is it just an expensive title, due to the scarcity of side scrolling beat'em ups on the Saturn?

It's good but I would recomend Tenchi o Kurau 2: Sekiheki no Tataka over it because of the slow down. The weird enimes and stuff keep it interesting till the last lvl where u just fight all the bosses over. Whale lvl is my favorite.

Galdelico

It's good but I would recomend Tenchi o Kurau 2: Sekiheki no Tataka over it because of the slow down. The weird enimes and stuff keep it interesting till the last lvl where u just fight all the bosses over. Whale lvl is my favorite.
I see, thanks. :)
Point is, as far as I remember, TwK2 is a bit different from your usual beat'em up, as you're often (always?) on your horse, while I'm a big fan of the classic Final Fight/Bare Knuckle formula. I never actually cared for Nekketsu too much, but if it's at least decent fun and enjoyable, all in all, I may put it back in my endless wishlist.

Edit: aw crap, my bad. I was clearly thinking of TwK1, not 2. That looks actually pretty awesome.

Warnen

I see, thanks. :)
Point is, as far as I remember, TwK2 is a bit different from your usual beat'em up, as you're often (always?) on your horse, while I'm a big fan of the classic Final Fight/Bare Knuckle formula. I never actually cared for Nekketsu too much, but if it's at least decent fun and enjoyable, all in all, I may put it back in my endless wishlist.

Edit: aw crap, my bad. I was clearly thinking of TwK1, not 2. That looks actually pretty awesome.

Yeah horse is like a power up, had it about 1/4 of the time. Has a good front attack (fbf attack).

I enjoyed nekketsu, if it wasn't for the slow down might like it more then TwK2. Also it is a bit short 5 levels. Does some kinda cool things, heavy items and beer only can be used by the big guy, weird lvls etc.. There is even a forced scrolling lvl at end.

Not many of these types of games on Saturn so I'll take what I can get.

Nice. Did you source that copy of Elan Doree off eBay recently? I had my eye on an auction with similar (slight) cover fade.

Yes, I check new listing every once and a while and if I see a good price I snag it. Was $55 iirc, rest were like $80-$100

AmyS

I need some quick advice on buying a Japanese Saturn.

Are the white Saturn consoles okay and what are their prospects for hooking up to an RGB monitor like the Sony PVM / BVM ?

Also, what specific all in one 4MB RAM cartridge should I look for that'll run all the games that use 1-4 MB RAM -- The Action Replay Plus ?

Thanks!

Galdelico

hey SaturnGAF,
i got my first saturn game ever. it was donated to me by one of the parents of my students =) but i don't have a Saturn yet! (soon one day)
CkNVAMjh.jpg
You must be a wonderful teacher, if you get such awesome donations. :)

Seriously, I'm totally partial to Real Bout (Fatal Fury in general is the fighting game series I'm the most attached to, and for various reasons Real Bout FF is probably my favorite entry), but the Saturn port is the best you can get, in my opinion, aside from the Wii Virtual Console emulation.

That game has a very special place in my Saturn collection.

Yeah horse is like a power up, had it about 1/4 of the time. Has a good front attack (fbf attack).

I enjoyed nekketsu, if it wasn't for the slow down might like it more then TwK2. Also it is a bit short 5 levels. Does some kinda cool things, heavy items and beer only can be used by the big guy, weird lvls etc.. There is even a forced scrolling lvl at end.
Seems well worth a look. :)
Thanks again!

Warnen

Are the white Saturn consoles okay and what are their prospects for hooking up to an RGB monitor like the Sony PVM / BVM ?

Also, what specific all in one 4MB RAM cartridge should I look for that'll run all the games that use 1-4 MB RAM -- The Action Replay Plus ?

Thanks!

From what I hear the saturns all hook up well to rgb I recommend these cables if you are getting a pvm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...388879?hash=item2f04d2d50f:g:tQQAAMXQAEFSD-4B

If you get the cheap cords off amazon you will have really bad buzzing on bright colors.

Dunno how true it is I have read that white saturns might have some audio bugs in a few games, I would get a grey if you have a choice.

I also recommend just getting an official 1mb, 4mb and memory cart. I ended up with a few of the ram carts just buying games and from what I understand even the best of the 3rd party carts can give you issues in some games.

KC-Slater

Thanks!

If you can only get one RAM cart for starters, go with an official 4MB cart (the ones that come with Capcom games.) They support almost everything.

There are a few games that are supported by the 4MB cart, but prefer the 1MB cart (Marvel Super Heroes & Metal Slug come to mind) but there are some games (most of which are SNK) that will only work with the 1MB cart. (The same goes with the 4MB, but it has the benefit of supporting many of the 1MB titles.)

Further complicating things is that people have reported problems with the Action Replay Plus, but I personally haven't run into any issues with it. There is a solid argument for using it just to keep it nestled in your cartridge slot, as replacing a cart in the Saturn feels like playing Russian roulette with your cartridge slot every single time.

Top Bottom