• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The current Pre-Release of 1.12 (4 which came out like yesterday) has literally the worst bug you can imagine.

kvYSPoH.gif

🤣

I'd revert to Pre-3 but I can't figure out how with the new launcher. So I guess I'm stuck with 4 until they release 5 hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: They fixed it in 5. Thank goodness! Haha

Fuchsdh

Thanks! I started up work on the Dwarf Fortress again, it's been a while since I touched it and was fun to get back into it tonight :)
Oh that's your build? Very cool. Be interested to see how it's progressing (I believe you have neighbor build next mountain over too.)

Fuchsdh

Yes (I think) - my wife wants to hack her maps as best as I can tell. Or maybe just view them outside the game.

Well, MCEdit I think only works on Java and Pocket. I'm not familiar with any way of mapping the W10 stuff, and the Minecraft wiki seems very unhelpful in that regard, so I'm not sure any way exists :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Interesting Minecraft news coming out of E3. This summer the game is getting a ”Better Together” update:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389532

Basically the Switch, Xbox, and PC players will all be on par version wise, and able to play online together via new online servers (not Realms, open to the public servers). Plus something called the Super Duper Graphics Pack is coming which really transforms the game graphically, looking much like a heavily shader modded PC version can now look.

Interesting….

Fuchsdh

A different tack than I expected, honestly. Was figuring they were going to do a Minecraft 2 and unify stuff that way, instead they're folding everything else in and I guess making Minecraft Java the legacy version.

Interesting Minecraft news coming out of E3. This summer the game is getting a ”Better Together” update:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389532

Basically the Switch, Xbox, and PC players will all be on par version wise, and able to play online together via new online servers (not Realms, open to the public servers). Plus something called the Super Duper Graphics Pack is coming which really transforms the game graphically, looking much like a heavily shader modded PC version can now look.

Interesting….

To be honest, I'm considering getting the Switch version now, and playing with yall.

Is the server active? Do people go on it and shit?

Fuchsdh

To be honest, I'm considering getting the Switch version now, and playing with yall.

Is the server active? Do people go on it and shit?

Problem is we're on the Java version, and that's its own separate thing from the console/mobile/W10 version (which is now default Minecraft.)

We actually really need a new OP, because the info in the original is now comically out of date.

Mengy

Problem is we're on the Java version, and that's its own separate thing from the console/mobile/W10 version (which is now default Minecraft.)

We actually really need a new OP, because the info in the original is now comically out of date.

Yeah, I was thinking about giving the OP a fresh coat of paint anyway, but with this new info it might just be better to start a new one altogether. Get it, "altogether"? :D

Let's see if we get more info this week yet, but I think I'll start working on a new OT all the same.

Fuchsdh

Only bad part of this news is there's not a peep about the Mac getting the C++ version :( So I'm guessing it's going to be consigned to Java and will join PS4 in looking sadly from the outside in the rain.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My biggest complaint about the multiple versions of MC is that they're all different and you can't join servers across systems. At least not from a console to a PC/Mac server. If I could literally pick up my iPhone or my Switch at any time and play on my server for a few minutes from my main account it'd be a dream. I'd even spend the $30 and get the Switch version if I could do that.

Until then I'm stuck only playing when I'm on my MacBook.

Only bad part of this news is there's not a peep about the Mac getting the C++ version :( So I'm guessing it's going to be consigned to Java and will join PS4 in looking sadly from the outside in the rain.
Seriously. But I'd only want it if it's identical. I don't want another version of MC. I want one version I can play on anything.

Fuchsdh

My biggest complaint about the multiple versions of MC is that they're all different and you can't join servers across systems. At least not from a console to a PC/Mac server. If I could literally pick up my iPhone or my Switch at any time and play on my server for a few minutes from my main account it'd be a dream. I'd even spend the $30 and get the Switch version if I could do that.

Until then I'm stuck only playing when I'm on my MacBook.

Seriously. But I'd only want it if it's identical. I don't want another version of MC. I want one version I can play on anything.

Well it sounds like you'll be able to do that with everything except PS4 and Mac (and non W10 PCs) now. There's just Minecraft and Minecraft: Java now.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Does anyone in here use the Optifine mod? I've been holding off updating to 1.12 until the mod updates as well but its been a couple of days.

Anyone have any info?

Fuchsdh

Does anyone in here use the Optifine mod? I've been holding off updating to 1.12 until the mod updates as well but its been a couple of days.

Anyone have any info?

No 1.12 release as of yet. They tweeted yesterday they were waiting on a MCP preview, which came out today.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I too am looking forward to Optifine. It's the only mod I'll use. I really wish they would just hire the guy already and make its features part of the game. They already used quite a few of them anyway.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So going by the team's response on Twitter, they are 10% done with updating Optifine. Anyone have any idea what that means in terms of a release?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On a server my brother and I had 4 years ago, I had built a semi-automatic Chicken Farm based on having a floating pool of water (Back when you could place signs on signs and make entire floors of signs and place water over it) and an array of sticky pistons with wood 1 block above it. The chicken eggs would be shot from a dispenser into the swimming area (Shot at a wall that would break the eggs, the chick would float down, and it would repeat until all the eggs were gone) where they would grow up. They'd lay tons of eggs and I'd put them in chests to refill the dispensers, and when I'm ready I would pull a lever and drown them dropping their dead carcases and feathers into the pipe stream to gather and sort into other chests.

It worked great until an update made it so chicks couldn't swim. So they'd fall through the water into the water pipe below (This was before Hoppers were invented) and would escape into the building and outside. Fortunately they fixed their swimming later but the design no longer works anyway. They seem to not drown at all. So I gave up on that design. I had planned on making it automatic where the chickens would lay eggs, they'd get filtered into an array of chests and piped into the dispensers, and on a daily basis the pistons would activate drowning them and filter the drops into other chests then fire more into the pool to start the cycle again. But that never came about.

So after trying to play around and figure out a new design I think I figured out something simple enough that I might make work. (With some rewiring)

You see a pit here. Under the slabs are a floor of hoppers that filter eggs into a chest. Since slabs act like they're not there for drops and hoppers can pick items up from above them. Baby chicks are also only half a block high which comes in handy with my "auto killing" system in the corners. Basically lava in a bucket in some dispensers in the corners that dispense and pull back a block of lava on a timer (The same timer used for the dispensers on the left) and when the chicks grow into chickens, due to the AI of mobs that seems to favor corners for some reason, the chickens will wander into the corners and kill themselves. And as a bonus since lava causes fire and fire cooks mobs when they drop their meat, it drops cooked chickens into the hopper array. So no wasted coal.

It's not a finished design. I need to play around a bit. But it creates eggs at an alarming rate. But I'd need to tweak it to make sure the chickens still have time to lay their eggs before they wander into the fire. I don't even care if it's semi-automatic. I used to eat exclusively chicken back on my old server even though it only fills 3 hearts instead of 4.

Now a side note: Actually a complaint. Why the heck do mobs STILL push themselves into blocks? If I have a completely solid wall around a cage of mobs, they push themselves into the wall and suffocate. So if I use a non-solid block like a fence, stone wall or glass, they get stuck or "teleport" outside. My sheep farm was perfect with separate cages for each color, but because of the bug I would constantly log in or return to the chunk to find one or more has escaped. It's a problem with all my farms. Even this chicken farm where chickens and chicks get pushed into the glass. I removed all the blocks under the glass so the entire area under the hoppers below is open and I go down there and find chickens wandering around all the time. It's ridiculous. How is this still a bug? Even Bdubs and other YouTubers have mentioned it numerous times.

Mengy

Here is a nice video by Mojang about the upcoming Super Duper Graphics Pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WHYJH-JGk

Sure it's basically what mods have allowed on PC for a long time, but to be honest I've never bothered to mess with shaders and such before with the game, so I'll appreciate this being in the game proper.

Fuchsdh

Here is a nice video by Mojang about the upcoming Super Duper Graphics Pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WHYJH-JGk

Sure it's basically what mods have allowed on PC for a long time, but to be honest I've never bothered to mess with shaders and such before with the game, so I'll appreciate this being in the game proper.

I see some major benefits over previous shaders:
* Presumably they are not such a terrible hit on performance, since they're bringing it to iOS and mobile in addition to the Scorpio.
* It's nicer than any modpacks I've seen, especially with the ground/water fog effects and specularity. Plus that water is nicer than any shader pack I can run even at 30fps on my computer, and I've got a 7950, 32GB of RAM, and freaking Xeon processors.

And the zombie eyes lit up is super cool.

Mostly this just reminds me that ultimately paying $2.5b for Minecraft was peanuts compared to what they must be making still on the games years on out.

Mengy

So this weekend I booted up the W10 version of Minecraft for the first time in ages, and much to my surprise it appears to have all of the content that the current Java version does? All the blocks, crafting mats, and mobs, etc. I was unaware that they were already on parity content wise, and I'm not sure when that happened. I could only find a few differences between the W10 and Java versions now:

1. The W10 version runs much smoother and faster, and it looks cleaner with improved AA and such
2. The W10 version has a much farther draw distance (56 chunks vs the Java's 32 chunks), super nice!
3. The W10 version does NOT have the crafting recipe book that was added to the Java version recently, seems like an odd omission?
4. The W10 version does not have the advanced world customization options that the Java version has
5. The W10 version has a bunch of preset world seeds you can choose from, with themes like cliffs, town on shore, ice spike biome start, etc.
6. Achievements are different between the two versions.

So for the most part they are very similar now, with a few pros and cons on both sides. It will be curious to see how the upcoming Better Together update and the new Bedrock Engine impacts the differences between the two. I've not seen an actual launch date for the Better Together update yet, though MS did make it sound like sometime this summer.

My plan for the updated/new OT is to make a new thread when the Better Together update launches, since technically now Minecraft will be identical across all platforms for the first time in like, ever? I've already started on some of the new banners and such. Any ideas for the new OT4 title would be welcomed. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I'm just playing normally and now all of a sudden I can't run anymore. Like I can't run at all.

Pressing the Sprint key doesn't work.

Double-pressing the forward key doesn't work.

I restarted my game.

I restarted my computer.

I restarted my server.

I restarted the computer the server is on.

I am full health, full food bar. Full armor.

I cannot run anymore. And it just started. Like out of nowhere. It was working earlier today. Then all of a sudden it no longer works.

So I'm on Optifine and think "maybe it's a bug in Optifine" and I quit and I restart and play the normal version. Sprinting works again.

I don't get why it stopped working though. I didn't change anything in Optifine except the HUD size. Ugh I don't want to go back to non-Optifine Minecraft again!

Fuchsdh

So this weekend I booted up the W10 version of Minecraft for the first time in ages, and much to my surprise it appears to have all of the content that the current Java version does? All the blocks, crafting mats, and mobs, etc. I was unaware that they were already on parity content wise, and I’m not sure when that happened. I could only find a few differences between the W10 and Java versions now:

1. The W10 version runs much smoother and faster, and it looks cleaner with improved AA and such
2. The W10 version has a much farther draw distance (56 chunks vs the Java’s 32 chunks), super nice!
3. The W10 version does NOT have the crafting recipe book that was added to the Java version recently, seems like an odd omission?
4. The W10 version does not have the advanced world customization options that the Java version has
5. The W10 version has a bunch of preset world seeds you can choose from, with themes like cliffs, town on shore, ice spike biome start, etc.

So for the most part they are very similar now, with a few pros and cons on both sides. It will be curious to see how the upcoming Better Together update and the new Bedrock Engine impacts the differences between the two. I’ve not seen an actual launch date for the Better Together update yet, though MS did make it sound like sometime this summer.

My plan for the updated/new OT is to make a new thread when the Better Together update launches, since technically now Minecraft will be identical across all platforms for the first time in like, ever? I’ve already started on some of the new banners and such. Any ideas for the new OT4 title would be welcomed. :)

No opinions on title.

It seems like the "other" versions are all running fairly close to par, but have some idiosyncrasies compared to the PC version—they don't get updated with full features per point update like PC (just have arcane TUxx version numbering.)

It will be interesting to see what the lag time on new updates for PC and coming to the new unified version will be; they've oscillated back and forth but presumably a unified engine will make pushing things out faster.

Also wondering how long the last-gen versions of the game are going to be supported with new features at this point. They've been out for almost four years, longer with XB360. I'd be fine with them sunsetting them, especially since I don't want to keep digging out my 360 to complete the game's achievement list... again.

So this weekend I booted up the W10 version of Minecraft for the first time in ages, and much to my surprise it appears to have all of the content that the current Java version does? All the blocks, crafting mats, and mobs, etc. I was unaware that they were already on parity content wise, and I’m not sure when that happened. I could only find a few differences between the W10 and Java versions now:

2. The W10 version has a much farther draw distance (56 chunks vs the Java’s 32 chunks), super nice!

So for the most part they are very similar now, with a few pros and cons on both sides. It will be curious to see how the upcoming Better Together update and the new Bedrock Engine impacts the differences between the two. I’ve not seen an actual launch date for the Better Together update yet, though MS did make it sound like sometime this summer.

My plan for the updated/new OT is to make a new thread when the Better Together update launches, since technically now Minecraft will be identical across all platforms for the first time in like, ever? I’ve already started on some of the new banners and such. Any ideas for the new OT4 title would be welcomed. :)
Will the JAVA version be getting this update the same as the Win10? It hasn't been made clear yet (to me) if, when they reference PC, they mean both versions.

Would it be better if we GAFLand was rebuilt on the Win10 platform?

molnizzle

Will the JAVA version be getting this update the same as the Win10? It hasn't been made clear yet (to me) if, when they reference PC, they mean both versions.

Would it be better if we GAFLand was rebuilt on the Win10 platform?

Java is getting left behind. It'll still get updates but it'll no longer be the default Minecraft.

The flagship Minecraft will simply be called "Minecraft" (no "Edition") on all the Better Together platforms after the update. That's Windows 10, Xbone, Switch, and iOS/Android. Those are the platforms getting the new Bedrock Engine. Everything else is secondary and will be an "Edition." The original PC client is being renamed to Minecraft: Java Edition. It'll be a legacy version after the update.

So, to answer your question: yes. The GAF server should probably move on to the new client once the Better Together update hits.

Man, what a bummer. I have Minecraft on Switch now but I still really hate playing it with a controller. All my computers are Macs though so I'll forever be stuck on the old, outdated, legacy version if I want to play with Mouse & Keyboard ;___;

molnizzle

So am I going to need to get Windows 10 to play with all the new stuff? I currently have 7.

Depends on what you mean by "new stuff." They plan to continue updating the Java Edition (along with PS4) with the newest blocks and such, but they'll probably be behind the flagship Minecraft now. Basically a role reversal. Maybe not though.

Stuff like the fancy graphics pack and cross-platform servers are not coming to Java Edition. You'll need Windows 10 for that.

Man, what a bummer. I have Minecraft on Switch now but I still really hate playing it with a controller. All my computers are Macs though so I'll forever be stuck on the old, outdated, legacy version if I want to play with Mouse & Keyboard ;___;

Heh. Complete opposite for me. I've been waiting for years to be able to play Minecraft with a controller on dedicated servers. Years. This was the best E3 news since my childhood to be honest.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I'm on a Mac too, so that's the only downside of this news. Given that they're supporting iOS, I hope that they end up supporting MacOS too.

WeTeHa

On a server my brother and I had 4 years ago, I had built a semi-automatic Chicken Farm based on having a floating pool of water (Back when you could place signs on signs and make entire floors of signs and place water over it) and an array of sticky pistons with wood 1 block above it. The chicken eggs would be shot from a dispenser into the swimming area (Shot at a wall that would break the eggs, the chick would float down, and it would repeat until all the eggs were gone) where they would grow up. They'd lay tons of eggs and I'd put them in chests to refill the dispensers, and when I'm ready I would pull a lever and drown them dropping their dead carcases and feathers into the pipe stream to gather and sort into other chests.

It worked great until an update made it so chicks couldn't swim. So they'd fall through the water into the water pipe below (This was before Hoppers were invented) and would escape into the building and outside. Fortunately they fixed their swimming later but the design no longer works anyway. They seem to not drown at all. So I gave up on that design. I had planned on making it automatic where the chickens would lay eggs, they'd get filtered into an array of chests and piped into the dispensers, and on a daily basis the pistons would activate drowning them and filter the drops into other chests then fire more into the pool to start the cycle again. But that never came about.

So after trying to play around and figure out a new design I think I figured out something simple enough that I might make work. (With some rewiring)

You see a pit here. Under the slabs are a floor of hoppers that filter eggs into a chest. Since slabs act like they're not there for drops and hoppers can pick items up from above them. Baby chicks are also only half a block high which comes in handy with my "auto killing" system in the corners. Basically lava in a bucket in some dispensers in the corners that dispense and pull back a block of lava on a timer (The same timer used for the dispensers on the left) and when the chicks grow into chickens, due to the AI of mobs that seems to favor corners for some reason, the chickens will wander into the corners and kill themselves. And as a bonus since lava causes fire and fire cooks mobs when they drop their meat, it drops cooked chickens into the hopper array. So no wasted coal.

It's not a finished design. I need to play around a bit. But it creates eggs at an alarming rate. But I'd need to tweak it to make sure the chickens still have time to lay their eggs before they wander into the fire. I don't even care if it's semi-automatic. I used to eat exclusively chicken back on my old server even though it only fills 3 hearts instead of 4.

Now a side note: Actually a complaint. Why the heck do mobs STILL push themselves into blocks? If I have a completely solid wall around a cage of mobs, they push themselves into the wall and suffocate. So if I use a non-solid block like a fence, stone wall or glass, they get stuck or "teleport" outside. My sheep farm was perfect with separate cages for each color, but because of the bug I would constantly log in or return to the chunk to find one or more has escaped. It's a problem with all my farms. Even this chicken farm where chickens and chicks get pushed into the glass. I removed all the blocks under the glass so the entire area under the hoppers below is open and I go down there and find chickens wandering around all the time. It's ridiculous. How is this still a bug? Even Bdubs and other YouTubers have mentioned it numerous times.

There's a far simpler design for chicken farms that requires less resources and less space. It's easily stackable and can produce insane amounts of cooked chicken.

Quick explanation:
- 24 chickens on a hopper that produce eggs.
- hopper feeds into dispenser that is powered by a simple clock (can also be done with a - comparator to avoid the clock)
- Dispenser dispenses eggs on a slab that sits above another hopper that feeds into a chest.
- above the hopper is lava (can be there all the time or activated with a dispenser and a hopper-redstone block-clock)
- Baby chickens can stand on the slab and survive, as soon as they grow up they burn and drop cooked chicken+feathers.
Fully automatic and super cheap.

I also built a similar design for sheep, pigs, rabbits, cows. It's a little more complicated because of the different sizes of the mobs (piglets have a stupid size) and because you have to manually feed the animals.

I'm currently working on a semi automatic farm design with a Johnny-Illager.

If you need more I can explain it in more detail.

Crispy75

Gafland must remain on the Java version so long as stalwarts like fuchsd have it as their only option. Resist the lure of shininess!

Fuchsdh

Gafland must remain on the Java version so long as stalwarts like fuchsd have it as their only option. Resist the lure of shininess!

The other thing is I'm not certain what options we'll have for customizing multiplayer. Being on a straight vanilla server has sucked not having stuff like warps and /sethome, and it'd be nice to bring that stuff back. We'll have to see how things pan out.

(My computer is beefy enough that running MC in a W10 virtual machine isn't a major issue, though certainly not ideal.)

Top Bottom