• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh patch 1.06 drops, adds pause

Don't really see the need for a pause button personally but I guess it's good for all the people who need it. Since there's no online invasions it makes sense for this game . People asking for it in souls is a little ridiculous though maybe in offline mode .

Abelard

As a huge fan of Souls who planned on getting Ni-oH, I am not going to get it now. The lack of pause added immersion and elevated them from commercial products to artistic worlds that demanded the player to engage in it.

cakely

Please explain why it wouldn't be ok to pause during a NPC invasion and please elaborate on how completely removing pause is in any way better to how Watch Dogs handles it. (see my post above)

It's consistent if there is no differentiation between how the game plays when you're being invaded and when you're not being invaded. If you don't appreciate that consistency, then, OK, I don't recommend souls games for you.

I never played Watch Dogs, but if it handles pausing differently, that's fine by me.

As a huge fan of Souls who planned on getting Ni-oH, I am not going to get it now. The lack of pause added immersion and elevated them from commercial products to artistic worlds that demanded the player to engage in it.

I truly can not understand this line of thinking.

Caim

It's optional, you have to open the menu like usual and then press the button again to pause.

Pause surprises me a little bit. Can it be used in combat? I'll admit that I spend forever in the menus with leveling skills up and reading armor and weapon stats, but I've never once felt that a pause was necessary.

No pause option is the only reason I don't play Souls games.

Not sure if you've ever actually tried a Souls game, but you'd find that pause is unnecessary. Provided you're going through the game as undead and not attempting to play online, then once you clear enemies that pose immediate threats, you can spend 12 hours in a menu and not get touched. You won't get invaded.

Goldboy

Can't tell if this is sarcasm but if not then c'mon. I also personally prefer the lack of a pause button in Souls but the addition of a pause button is no reason to skip a great game.

It continues to amaze me how it really is better to play games three months after release than right away (at least for sp focused games).

They are undoubtedly better as they get patched and things are added. This is comin from a guy who's playing through ME:A right now, and I'm sure that'll be a lot better in three months too.

If you're sitting 3 months behind everyone else, and just playing new games a bit later, you're doin it right (and I wish I had your discipline).

Caim

Pause surprises me a little bit. Can it be used in combat? I'll admit that I spend forever in the menus with leveling skills up and reading armor and weapon stats, but I've never once felt that a pause was necessary.

Not sure if you've ever actually tried a Souls game, but you'd find that pause is unnecessary. Provided you're going through the game as undead and not attempting to play online, then once you clear enemies that pose immediate threats, you can spend 12 hours in a menu and not get touched. You won't get invaded.

Pausing just puts "Pause" on the screen you can't go through the menu to heal, change equipment, etc. mid battle unless you unpause because going through the menus doesn't stop anything.

Recall

I always thought it was to prevent people from use pause to see enemies animation and make dodge easier.

Aren't the souls games online? With invaders and the like? Wouldn't pausing make it impossible for the online aspect to work?

I don't play the games so I'm just speculating.

Gator86

I've read such shit over the years in Souls threads I can't tell if this is sarcasm at all. Bravo.

Pausing just puts "Pause" on the screen you can't go through the menu to heal, change equipment, etc. mid battle unless you unpause because going through the menus doesn't stop anything.

Ah gotcha. Sounds good.

Aren't the souls games online? With invaders and the like? Wouldn't pausing make it impossible for the online aspect to work?

I don't play the games so I'm just speculating.

Yes.

Cleve

I didn't realize having a pause was considered so casual.

I beat the game already, but I'm glad they added a pause. I'm sure there are more than a few people that can't play for extended periods, or need to be able to stop on no notice to deal with pets/babies/whatever that will appreciate it.

shiyrley

Banned
It's consistent if there is no differentiation between how the game plays when you're being invaded and when you're not being invaded. If you don't appreciate that consistency, then, OK, I don't recommend souls games for you.

I never played Watch Dogs, but if it handles pausing differently, that's fine by me.
I have played DS1 and 2, and I have DS3 on my backlog. I like them. But I do this super weird thing called "being critical with games that I like".

Functionality > "consistency".

The game is fine without pausing but it would be better to have it.

Zafir

No pause in Souls makes sense because of the multiplayer aspect, but Nioh doesn't really have that? It wasn't really necessary.
Bullshit.

1) Nioh has MP, and the patch notes even mention the pause is disabled in multiplayer modes.
2) There's no reason a pause could not be implemented in the same way in Souls games. Even taking into account invasions - invasions is essentially just matchmaking done in the background, you can quite easily just stop the matchmaking while you're in the pause screen. As soon as you've been matched with an invader you can't pause until they've left or you kill them, simple. Even Street Fighter V with its barebones release managed to pause the matchmaking search when you're in the "pause menu".

Deku Tree

Bullshit.

1) Nioh has MP, and the patch notes even mention the pause is disabled in multiplayer modes.
2) There's no reason a pause could not be implemented in the same way in Souls games. Even taking into account invasions - invasions is essentially just matchmaking done in the background, you can quite easily just stop the matchmaking while you're in the pause screen. As soon as you've been matched with an invader you can't pause until they've left or you kill them, simple. Even Street Fighter V with its barebones release managed to pause the matchmaking search when you're in the "pause menu".

They could just disable pause while you are embered because you can't summon or be invaded unless you are embered.

It would be stupid if you could pause to prevent an invasion though.

Actually, thinking about it right now, I don't think pause should be in Nioh, or in Souls games.

Call me pretentious, but there's something about sitting at a bonfire or at a shrine, knowing that the world around you is still moving and living without your influence, that isn't in many other games. Being able to pause the game and see everything standing completely still until you decide to come back kind of kills that immersion for me.

SomTervo

image.php

Gator86

Actually, thinking about it right now, I don't think pause should be in Nioh, or in Souls games.

Call me pretentious, but there's something about sitting at a bonfire or at a shrine, knowing that the world around you is still moving and living without your influence, that isn't in many other games. Being able to pause the game and see everything standing completely still until you decide to come back kind of kills that immersion for me.

You could make that argument for literally any game. "Even when I'm not there, Tetris pieces just keep falling on their own."

Alchemy

Good. Pausing is a simple life accessibility thing that lets people deal with real fucking life when it pops up in the middle of a gaming session. I will forever hate that you can't pause Dark Souls while offline, its idiotic.

Izuna

Banned

If you're serious

Oh god.

Chitown B

How? Being able to pause an offline game doesn't change the game at all. It merely changes the player from having a full bladder to an empty one.

Soulsbourne games are made the way they're made. They're usually one on one with enemies. You can stand in one spot, unpaused for hours. You rarely have to worry about pausing if you play them as intended.

Goldboy

I agree with this as well. I think they should add a pause to Souls, but make it optional. Make it something you have to opt into in the settings. That way everyone's happy (I think).

BigEmil

Then i got the answer for you.
You do that, you do not have to use the pause option if you don't want to. There.

How hard is that? Never have I seen such ridiculousness for giving people more options

Hybris

It continues to amaze me how it really is better to play games three months after release than right away (at least for sp focused games).

They are undoubtedly better as they get patched and things are added. This is comin from a guy who's playing through ME:A right now, and I'm sure that'll be a lot better in three months too.

If you're sitting 3 months behind everyone else, and just playing new games a bit later, you're doin it right (and I wish I had your discipline).

On the flip side, those early adopters are what allow devs to take community feedback and improve the game. I think it's awesome when devs support their game like this. It builds community confidence for those playing and potential players who may have been on the fence have a compelling reason to pick up the game.

I agree with this as well. I think they should add a pause to Souls, but make it optional. Make it something you have to opt into in the settings. That way everyone's happy (I think).

How would a pause mechanic be forced? You aren't forced to press the pause button...

Zafir

They could just disable pause while you are embered because you can't summon or be invaded unless you are embered.

It would be stupid if you could pause to prevent an invasion though.
That's why I said the pause option gets disabled as soon as the system finds you a match. As long as it's coded to turn off pause functionality before it tells you that you've invaded. I don't see how people can pause to prevent invasions.

Unless you mean you should always have the constant fear of an invasion even when you're not at the console for a second. In which case I don't really agree with that line of logic. It's a game.

Then i got the answer for you.
You do that, you do not have to use the pause option if you don't want to. There.

How hard is that? Never have I seen such ridiculousness for giving people more options

That's fine, and I won't use it. But that doesn't change my opinion. It breaks immersion for me. The game was perfectly fine without it.

You could make that argument for literally any game. "Even when I'm not there, Tetris pieces just keep falling on their own."

There's no pause in arcade Tetris.

Hybris

That's fine, and I won't use it. But that doesn't change my opinion. It breaks immersion for me. The game was perfectly fine without it.

I don't understand why you say the game shouldn't have a pause option. It doesn't hurt you if it's added since you won't use it anyway. Those that like the option have the option available. It's a win/win. This is some religious right wing logic right here...

Goldboy

How would a pause mechanic be forced? You aren't forced to press the pause button...

I like not having the option at all since in a lot of games I'll pause out of panic if I'm in a tense situation, which helps in the moment but kills a lot of the tension overall.
Having that control taken from you goes a long way to making Souls combat really intense for me, so I like not having the option.

But like I said, I understand not many people feel the same way, so the ability to pause should definitely be added.

On the flip side, those early adopters are what allow devs to take community feedback and improve the game. I think it's awesome when devs support their game like this. It builds community confidence for those playing and potential players who may have been on the fence have a compelling reason to pick up the game.

Yup, that's very true. Often times, i'm only every going to play a game once through, and it gets one chance to make a first impression and for me to experience it that first time. I'd probably more often than not, want it to be that three month out experience versus the day one experience.

You're right though, it takes the mix for people to benefit from that later on. I'll be excited to pick up Nioh in a month or two =)

People who moan about a pause being added are either too stupid to realise they don't have to push it, or have so little self control that they can't help "ruin" an experience for themselves for no real reason.

Lets be real, the actual reason people don't want a pause is because they like the idea of other people HAVING to experience something the same way they like to. Get a fucking grip people.

Deku Tree

That's why I said the pause option gets disabled as soon as the system finds you a match. As long as it's coded to turn off pause functionality before it tells you that you've invaded. I don't see how people can pause to prevent invasions.

Unless you mean you should always have the constant fear of an invasion even when you're not at the console for a second. In which case I don't really agree with that line of logic. It's a game.

You may not agree, but that is supposed to be part of the tension in the game design of playing Dark Souls. If you want the power of being embered then you need to be concerned about the threat of being invaded.

Zafir

You may not agree, but that is supposed to be part of the tension in the game design of playing Dark Souls. If you want the power of being embered then you need to be concerned about the threat of being invaded.
But you still are when you're actually playing.

All it does is offer someone the opportunity to go to the toilet or to the door for two mins without coming back dead.

I'm sorry, but no game should come before peoples real life. I don't know how anyone can argue that it should.

Seiryoden

They've nerfed the Suzaku critical build. Motherfuckers :( Just tried a run through Ghosts of Sawayama and I'm dropping out of LW really quickly. Seem to be doing less damage as well. WHY?

Edit: NVM. More testing required. I'm an idiot, was missing a magatama. Still:

All skills that activate on Critical were adjusted in some way, but it doesn't specify exactly what changed.

It seems like LW stops regenerating from amrita absorption after a certain time? Killing enemies gives me no amrita gain. Very odd.

Final Edit: Looks like I'm wrong on all counts. It feels different, but it's still viable for people who want to power-level etc. Apologies.

Caim

They've nerfed the Suzaku critical build. Motherfuckers :( Just tried a run through Ghosts of Sawayama and I'm dropping out of LW really quickly. Seem to be doing less damage as well. WHY?

All skills that activate on Critical were adjusted in some way, but it doesn't specify exactly what changed.

Deku Tree

But you still are when you're actually playing.

All it does is offer someone the opportunity to go to the toilet or to the door for two mins without coming back dead.

I'm sorry, but no game should come before peoples real life. I don't know how anyone can argue that it should.

In that case you can simply quit to main menu and then reload in like 15 seconds.

Nioh getting a pause function is really detrimental for the future of the video game community. You can't raise a new generation of hardcore gamers on candy crush and inevitably lose this consumer group if you continue to cater to casuals. Even a big part of the indi dev community release on the existance of people who like to die over and over and still want to continue.
If you can't play this game because it has no pause funtion than don't play it and don't start using all of your social media accounts to harass developers until they add it in. You don't see this kind of behaviour anywhere else. You don't see people in physics say "Hey, quantum physics is hard, please change it so I get it", those people get laughed at.

BigEmil

All these explanations defending not to want pause added at all are utter nonsense and are far greatly outweighed by the good this optional option does for all the people who will want to use pause if they wish to.

Seems like Souls fans defending their Souls games not adding pause justifying it really hard and reaching.

Zafir

In that case you can simply quit to main menu and then reload in like 15 seconds.

Maybe if you're playing on PC with a SSD.... Especially if the game you're playing is Bloodborne. Which incidentally only had invasions in a few select areas with a specific enemy so not having a pause in the game in that case because of worrying about invasions is especially laughable.

That said, if quit solves the problem, why are people so against a pause. People can already get out of the game, all pause then does is mean you don't have to sit through un-necessary loading screens. I'm at a loss why people are so against it.

Top Bottom