• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

rtcn63

I dunno. DS1 is just one of those games I've never felt I needed to revisit. (Maybe I spent too much time grinding in the Painted World and it burned me out) I've replayed DS2 and Bloodborne a few times.

Like I said earlier, it really reminds me of some localized, optimistic, late '90s to early 2000s survival horror. I wonder how the Japanese VA sounds.
I guess I need to wait for the credits to find out, buy I wonder if NYAV Post did the voicework for this one. I loves their work on the first one, and they generally do a great job because they actually hire more than the same five actors who are in everything.

Would be disappointed if they handled it and had a downgrade.

SomTervo

Yup. I hated the DLC, except for the story bits. John Johanas directing TEW2 was a disappointing announcement in my opinion. And judging by people's responses here, the amount of stealth has increased considerably

The breadth has increased considerably, and that includes stealth, but it's totally viable to run and gun every zombie like in the original.

Of course using stealth you save more resources so that feels like the right way to play a survival horror game, and I love stealth so I'm happy with that. Playing it as a shootbang is viable but perhaps 'feels' wrong.

That said, with stealth you tend to be swimming in resources after a while so you can start playing it loose with resources, which is kinda nice and fun.

-MD-

What? I don't get why that's considered complicated at all.
After running through doors randomly and ending up in the same room, it would be time to do something different. The only thing different to do is check out the mirror. The mirror which shows you how to leave the room.

But it's not complicated? The puzzle itself is obvious, I figured out what you had to do instantly, I just kept choosing the wrong doors (about 20 fucking times).

Playing right now and it feels pretty similar. Enemies are less squirrely and easier to shoot, though.

I tried it out yesterday and it felt perfect to me in 1 but it's nowhere near as smooth in 2, I felt it immediately when I got my hands on 2 which is why I had to go back to 1 to see if I was taking crazy pills. The camera is way snappier in 1 too, feels like you're underwater in 2 when rotating it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Starting on hardest difficulty, good or bad idea?

Neiteio

Atmosphereeeeeeeee

theevilwithin2_2017106ekwo.png

theevilwithin2_201710izjjc.png

theevilwithin2_201710gcjd5.png

And a nice bit of comfort:

theevilwithin2_201710xljip.png

Just don't go outside:

theevilwithin2_201710fzkhk.png

The breadth has increased considerably, and that includes stealth, but it's totally viable to run and gun every zombie like in the original.
Maybe I just played totally wrong but it absolutely did not feel like this on Nightmare. There were some late-game encounters especially where I have a hard time believing going all-out would be viable even if I was loaded up with ammo. Maybe the game just has a really flexible drop system that gives you a lot more resources if you're low on them?

rtcn63

Maybe I just played totally wrong but it absolutely did not feel like this on Nightmare. There were some late-game encounters especially where I have a hard time believing going all-out would be viable even if I was loaded up with ammo. Maybe the game just has a really flexible drop system that gives you a lot more resources if you're low on them?

Bolts are arguably overpowered. You may have a problem if you go around trying to shotgun everything (people have said that actually using weapons is slower than in the first game- changing between them, reloading, aiming, etc.). Although the combination of the bullet cascade and time-slow skills probably breaks many encounters.

I've heard some reports of people having lots of ammo crafting supplies on nightmare mode and I have no idea how. I am constantly looking for more on Nightmare, barely making it by, but also when I do getting to those comfort moments so shined upon in this thread. What a life saver!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
see, that's the other thing. the camera-lens motif did nothing for me. it all felt very -- i dunno -- disparate. inconsistent.

Neiteio

Yeah, I also wonder how some people allegedly got so many supplies in Nightmare. Again, I hit my mark more often than not, and I primarily use stealth to defeat enemies. So how is it that I barely find any gunpowder, etc, no matter how thoroughly I search?

rtcn63

Yeah, I also wonder how some people allegedly got so many supplies in Nightmare. Again, I hit my mark more often than not, and I primarily use stealth to defeat enemies. So how is it that I barely find any gunpowder, etc, no matter how thoroughly I search?

Have you been using the upgraded shock and smoke bolts? Sneak kills on even the mid-sized enemies seem to do huge amounts of damage compared to the standard weapons.

Also bottle to the face. It should be your primary mode of frontal one-on-one attack in any TEW game.

-MD-

I've heard some reports of people having lots of ammo crafting supplies on nightmare mode and I have no idea how. I am constantly looking for more on Nightmare, barely making it by, but also when I do getting to those comfort moments so shined upon in this thread. What a life saver!

I stealth kill most stuff and loot everything around and I'm pretty much always low on ammo, I don't miss shots often either.

Tell you what I'm not low on though, herbs, I have like 40+ and I never use them.

Nemesis_

I was drowning in it by the end of Nightmare, and I didn't die much. Actually that's a lie, but after Chapter 5 I was pretty much unstoppable. The difficulty in this is much lower than the original TEW, though I also chalk a lot of that up to improved movement and combat mechanics.

Have you been using the upgraded shock and smoke bolts? Sneak kills on even the mid-sized enemies seem to do huge amounts of damage compared to the standard weapons.

Also bottle to the face. It should be your primary mode of frontal one-on-one attack in any TEW game.

I've never heard this, and I beat AKUMU and am halfway through Classic now. Can I have some tips? :D Maybe this will help me since I am finding bottles everywhere but never use them.

see, that's the other thing. the camera-lens motif did nothing for me. it all felt very -- i dunno -- disparate. inconsistent.

I wasn't a huge fan of it. I much more enjoyed the visuals of a brain wrapped in barbed wire from the first game than some big clean-as-fuck lens. I get what they were going for but it wasn't the type of unnerving stuff I enjoyed from the oriignal.

Neiteio

I wasn't a huge fan of it. I much more enjoyed the visuals of a brain wrapped in barbed wire from the first game than some big clean-as-fuck lens. I get what they were going for but it wasn't the type of unnerving stuff I enjoyed from the oriignal.
Oh man, it's so good. I love the idea that if you give godlike powers to an artist, something like that can manifest itself in the world. I'm also a sucker for horror motifs where you're being watched by some omnipotent force.

I find sentience to be creepier than gross-out body horror. The eye communicates a sort of malevolent intelligence. Also, the unnatural storm-like sounds that accompany it give you the feeling it's an extremely powerful phenomenon.

rtcn63

I've never heard this, and I beat AKUMU and am halfway through Classic now. Can I have some tips? :D Maybe this will help me since I am finding bottles everywhere but never use them.

Simple- you throw a bottle at an attacking enemy's face. If it connects, he'll enter a distraught state where then you run up to him, crouch, then press the action button to perform a sneak kill. I would usually do it when trying to stealth an enemy and it discovered me.

It works in both games, although seems to be a bit harder to pull off in the second. (And maybe not on the non-regular enemies)

SomTervo

Careful with all the spoilers, please. Even just those pics. Some of us are having to play in drips and drabs :(

On the plus side, our horror game comes out in the next 24 hours and I hope you all get the chance to enjoy it at some point. Some cool stuff in there IMO.

I'm not on Nightmare :( started on Survivor because my GF was playing it to begin with and she's not used to that shit

On Survivor or w/e, all-out is definitely viable

I was drowning in it by the end of Nightmare, and I didn't die much. Actually that's a lie, but after Chapter 5 I was pretty much unstoppable. The difficulty in this is much lower than the original TEW, though I also chalk a lot of that up to improved movement and combat mechanics.

Well I wonder if I'll get to that point cause on chapter 6 and I'm just always just making it by. lol

Granjinha

so yeah fuck these (chapter 13 and 14 spoilers)
flamethrowers guys. This buggy ass shit is making me really mad. The stealth on them is completely broken, when i get close to stab them they suddenly turn around and give me a meele hit and that's always after i get the first stealth stab. They become immune to this shit suddenly, wtf

Nemesis_

Oh man, it's so good. I love the idea that if you give godlike powers to an artist, something like that can manifest itself in the world. I'm also a sucker for horror motifs where you're being watched by some omnipotent force.

I find sentience to be creepier than gross-out body horror. The eye communicates a sort of malevolent intelligence. Also, the unnatural storm-like sounds that accompany it give you the feeling it's an extremely powerful phenomenon.

I know what you mean. I actually felt that away about another game (a third in a trilogy)
Dead Space 3 after the moon reveal
. Most people didn't like that twist but I actually enjoyed it because it grossed me out to think that beautiful skybox was
alive and watching me

Simple- you throw a bottle at an attacking enemy's face. If it connects, he'll enter a distraught state where then you run up to him, crouch, then press the action button to perform a sneak kill. I would usually do it when trying to stealth an enemy and it discovered me.

It works in both games, although seems to be a bit harder to pull off in the second. (And maybe not on the non-regular enemies)

Oh right. Thanks.

Anyone got good strategies for dealing with the Hysterias? They're the Witch-like enemies? They always seem to overwhelm me on Classic.

Well I wonder if I'll get to that point cause on chapter 6 and I'm just always just making it by. lol

I lied. After the boss battle in Chapter 8 things picked up a bit for me. I was struggling up until then, got my chapters crossed.

rtcn63

Anyone got good strategies for dealing with the Hysterias? They're the Witch-like enemies? They always seem to overwhelm me on Classic.

The white ones that stalk slowly? Sneak kill, run away and hide, sneak kill again. They lose track of you VERY easily.

DirtyLarry

Is there some special way to kill this creepy Rec looking knife women? In the chapter 4 marrow and she keeps killing me after soaking up damage
I do not know. I just ran after an unsuccessful sneak kill where I gave her about 5 stabs to the head.

Anyone else suffer from Green Gel Anxiety?
I am just at a point I am not sure what else to purchase with it, and I think I stress out more over what to get next then the game itself.

LUXURY

Why does the aiming feel so clunky and heavy in this game. I find it to be a complete waste to attempt with a handgun period. Stealth killing the enemies is good, but it honestly gets a bit boring.

Perineum

Yup. I hated the DLC, except for the story bits. John Johanas directing TEW2 was a disappointing announcement in my opinion. And judging by people's responses here, the amount of stealth has increased considerably

It isn't just increased, but if you are going to play the game effectively on harder difficulties especially, it is a must to use.

I mean why would you blow a shotgun round off when you can wait behind a car for a bit, learn the enemy pattern, then go stab them in the head for a one shot kill ? Waste of ammo because as we know most boss fights aren't going to let you do stealth and will force you to burn your ammo on them.

There may have been more 50-50 if, again, the enemies weren't so damn loud. The moment you hear them you know to crouch down and slow your roll to engage. If enemies could get up again by "playing dead" like in the first one since you didn't use a match on them, then this could have caused more ammo to be used to level the need for gunplay too. Or if they walked around without making a peep here and there, so you accidentally come around a corner into something that could result in using guns. That doesn't exist here... the game makes it painfully obvious it wants you to stealth the majority of it in order to be successful.

Hypron

Bolts are arguably overpowered. You may have a problem if you go around trying to shotgun everything (people have said that actually using weapons is slower than in the first game- changing between them, reloading, aiming, etc.). Although the combination of the bullet cascade and time-slow skills probably breaks many encounters.

Is it even possible to get the slow-mo skill in your first playthrough considering how expensive it is?

Just made my first save on classic.
Got shotgun and crossbow--going to ignore sniper rifle bc there is no ammo for it in game and I don't want to waste resources on it. Saved before you have to enter the warehouse in chapter 3. I don't want to die on those 4-legged monsters and have to replay the whole beginning. I skipped all side quests and avoided monsters for the most part

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just started playing now. Chose to go with Survival difficulty. I switched to Casual a few chapters in in the original, cause I didn't really like the combat too much and I was losing too much progress when I died. I loved the DLCs that focused on stealth a lot more than the main game gameplay wise. Glad to hear this has more stealth options.

Perineum

Just started playing now. Chose to go with Survival difficulty. I switched to Casual a few chapters in in the original, cause I didn't really like the combat too much and I was losing too much progress when I died. I loved the DLCs that focused on stealth a lot more than the main game gameplay wise. Gad to hear this has more stealth options.

The game is quite easy on survival so you should be fine. Plus the game auto saves fairly often so you don't lose much progress, if any, when you die.

Gbraga

Man, that side event with
the letterboxing when the house shifts to Beacon...
(Chapter 3)

Good stuff, good stuff.

SomTervo

Why does the aiming feel so clunky and heavy in this game. I find it to be a complete waste to attempt with a handgun period. Stealth killing the enemies is good, but it honestly gets a bit boring.

I really hope they patch the combat to fix it up a bit, aiming is so abysmal.

As mentioned already though, it's very similar to the original in that sense - but in this game the enemies move much faster and have a lot of lunging motions, which exacerbates the clunky aiming.

Wow just had the game freeze when I tried to shoot from cover

Didn't even crash, the screen just fucked up with the hud intact and music still playing

I was worried that I lost progress after just clearing an area but thankfully it saved, just had to recollect resources

FiveSide

Banned
Anyone gone back and played the first game after finishing this one?

I played it a bit earlier today and the controls felt a lot tighter. I'm not sure how to describe it, kind of like the difference between Resident Evil 4 and Lost Planet. With the first game being RE4 and this one being LP.

Another thing I found better in the first game when I went back to it was the speed of combat. Here, in TEW2, the stealth gameplay and setup can be meticulous and strategic; but once you actually engage the enemies, they move so quickly that the close encounters end up being a cluster of activity, and usually involve running away to try to get your bearings.

In the first game, though, combat felt a lot more methodical - again, closer to RE4. Enemies moved a bit slower, and the aiming felt more precise - I felt like I was in control of the situation, even when overwhelmed, and that the controls were helping me manage the field rather than being the primary thing that was preventing me from being on top of things.

On the other hand, going back to the first game I was struck by the fluctuations in quality. There really is masterpiece-tier content and dumpster fire-tier content, like the entire middle range was gutted completely and left only the material on both extremes. TEW2 is SO much more consistent in this respect.

I think I still stand where I did previously. I think that, "objectively," TEW2 is the better game. But overall I prefer the first.

Both awesome, happy to support them both, in TEW2's case on day one, and hope there's a third.

Just made my first save on classic.
Got shotgun and crossbow--going to ignore sniper rifle bc there is no ammo for it in game and I don't want to waste resources on it. Saved before you have to enter the warehouse in chapter 3. I don't want to die on those 4-legged monsters and have to replay the whole beginning. I skipped all side quests and avoided monsters for the most part

Do you have a plan in advance for where you're going to save throughout the game?

I salute you, I was tempted to do a Classic run but I don't think I have the time to blow on it at the moment.

Aikidoka

Overall, I think I really liked this game (played on Nightmare if interested). They managed to really make Union feel like real space filled with horrors and interesting traps/experiences. Combined with a solid and fun combat, exploring was just really compelling for me. There are some unfortunate exploits that could be improved - mostly it's really easy to de-aggro/run away from the enemies in the open spaces. There's also the problem that the game kind of feels the same throughout it. The devs toyed with some interesting concepts - like the changing gravity with that camera monster - but they tend to last for mere seconds and never really get developed into something new and exciting. Would also have liked some more variety and evolution with the ghost lady or similar monsters that are hunting you throughout the game.

The story was pretty weak I thought and I agree with previous comments that the game doesn't really give you much time to speculate on things. From a world-crafting perspective, one thing that always bothered me in these games was how vague the extent of the antagonists powers are.

end game-type spoilers,
That fuck you to the chainsaw guy was great!
Also was leslie/Ruvik nowhere to be found? I disappointed there was no follow up about them.

Do you have a plan in advance for where you're going to save throughout the game?

I salute you, I was tempted to do a Classic run but I don't think I have the time to blow on it at the moment.

I've tried to read up on the best save points online as much as possible but we'll see how it actually plays out--not being able to upgrade sucks! Lol. Sebastian moves so slow--The Elder Within 2.

FiveSide

Banned
So there's no save points in Chapter 9. I can't believe I didn't realise this. Fuck Classic Mode.

Wait what? Can't you go back to Seb's office right before the end of the chapter?

I've tried to read up on the best save points online as much as possible but we'll see how it actually plays out--not being able to upgrade sucks! Lol. Sebastian moves so slow--The Elder Within 2.

That's another thing, I really need that increased crouch movement speed you get with Prowler. Whole playthrough with the default speed would be torturous, like watching a guy who shit his pants slowly wander towards the nearest restroom

Top Bottom