• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I keep watching the Switch trailer and just keep imagining what if we had a story that did all these characters justice? As if we were in the thick of the story, instead of that piecemeal sort of thing we really got. Where you weren't with Zelda just in memories or at the very end, where you teamed up with the other characters for more than just getting into or traversing the beasts, where you actually were around when everything went to shit. I mean, I understand why the story was presented like it was, because they wanted to give us complete freedom, but I'm greedy.

Imagine a story like OoT's told in this engine. I would probably never get over myself.

Story, bosses, and dungeons are easily the weakest part of this game. But I'm holding onto hope that the DLC blows us away - it has every ability to drastically improve on ALL three of those things, even if it's just a 5-10hr adventure.

I keep watching the Switch trailer and just keep imagining what if we had a story that did all these characters justice? As if we were in the thick of the story, instead of that piecemeal sort of thing we really got. Where you weren't with Zelda just in memories or at the very end, where you teamed up with the other characters for more than just getting into or traversing the beasts, where you actually were around when everything went to shit. I mean, I understand why the story was presented like it was, because they wanted to give us complete freedom, but I'm greedy.

Imagine a story like OoT's told in this engine. I would probably never get over myself.

Same thing I kept thinking. Totally amazing game that is far and beyond anything in the genre, but I imagine if this game had better dungeons and a narrative akin to OOT then it would have truly been the GOAT.

99Luffy

Banned
Same thing I kept thinking. Totally amazing game that is far and beyond anything in the genre, but I imagine if this game had better dungeons and a narrative akin to OOT then it would have truly been the GOAT.
Oh man, what if we got 4 DLCs. And each DLC is a 'memory' leading up to the champions losing their final battles.

Timeaisis

That's literally the one timeline it can't be. General consensus is that it's not the Adult timeline.

How do you figure? Koroks, Rito, a rebuilt Hyrule that isn't like any before it, and references to an ancient sea point to Adult timeline. Is there some obvious thing that makes that impossible I'm missing?

The only evidence I see pointing to TP timeline is a reference to "twilight" in one of the memories.

It could be ALLTP because of the Lost Woods, but the locations of everything else don't fit.

Ultimadrago

I keep watching the Switch trailer and just keep imagining what if we had a story that did all these characters justice? As if we were in the thick of the story, instead of that piecemeal sort of thing we actually got. Where you weren't with Zelda just in memories or at the very end, where you teamed up with the other characters for more than just getting into or traversing the beasts, where you actually were around when everything went to shit. I mean, I understand why the story was presented like it was, because they wanted to give us complete freedom, but I'm greedy.

That trailer did make me imagine we'd get more time with the characters. Hell, I thought the new era heroes would at least have more to contribute as far as bonding with Link. Aside from Prince Sidon, all of the story visits turned out lame and are portions (memories included) that I'll likely toss aside mentally over the next month. It's a testament to the game that I still find it really good besides that, but I agree. I won't even call myself greedy for it. It should have been better and I left the narrative wholly unimpressed.

I would love more quirky, personalized side content like Clock Town executed (in better running engine/hardware) one day. Nintendo's mechanical take on a modern open-world with Breath of the Wild is still a great achievement for the series in its own way, of course.

I'm 45 hours in, and I just realized two things - looking for some guidance:

I have paid zero attention to the "stat bonuses" on weapons :-/ Are they random? Can you boost, say, the attack up on a weapon you already have? How much of a difference does this make? How can you "read" the stats?

Similar for clothing? I have yet to get a complete set, so I haven't bothered with the fairies. I want a complete OoT or WW set, but my amiibos just won't drop the tunics. Anyway, are some sets way better choices to "level up" than others?

They are random and work on a min-max setting. Once it has reached a certain value minimum, it turns Yellow. You can boost attack on a weapon depending on certain gear and/or food. You can use the Champion's Tunic to attempt reading the exact value of the weapon/strength you wield against and enemy.

Spoilers for the best armor sets I found throughout the game: Yes, there are armors in the game that are much better than others, and they are all obtainable in-game.
Ancient Armor Set increases Attack with Ancient Weaponry about 80% when fully equipped, Barbarian Set makes any attack weapon increase by 50% when fully equipped, Climbing Set makes climbing much more faster and efficient.
The Amiibo sets in general aren't that useful in terms of viability. You should only max them for your own self satisfaction, I think.

You can likely find out where to get pieces of them online or run into them yourself when working with Shrines.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
How do you figure? Koroks, Rito, a rebuilt Hyrule that isn't like any before it, and references to an ancient sea point to Adult timeline. Is there some obvious thing that makes that impossible I'm missing?

The only evidence I see pointing to TP timeline is a reference to "twilight" in one of the memories.

It could be ALLTP because of the Lost Woods, but the locations of everything else don't fit.

Calamity Ganon. Ganon doesn't exist in this timeline and only attacked once before being left behind in the old Hyrule. We also know Rito to exist in other timelines, see the wall carvings in Twilight Princess HD. And there was an ancient sea waaaay before the Great Sea of Wind Waker, as seen in Skyward Sword.

I personally think it's the Downfall timeline, but it's possible it's Child. I'm certain it's not Adult.

I don't see how it could work with the game's structure and design.

Golnei

I feel like the structure in which the champions were used was a reasonably good fit for the game - the voice acting was a significantly bigger drawback for me in terms of their portrayal, along with lesser issues like the way in which they narrated the Divine Beast terminal hunts; and the admittedly stilted lines. But even with the aspects that weren't optimal, the fact that all of them (with the partial exception of Revali) were able to evoke some sense of melancholy during their scenes with Link and preparing their Beast lasers shows that for me at least, any parts where their use fell flat was more to do with the execution of specific scenes, rather than the flaws of the structure as a whole.

Though I still think it would have been a good idea to make the bosses of the Beasts their possessed remains, like Metroid Prime 3's Hunters - given how the Blights use the same style of weapons (as well as the Champion abilities to an extent) as their respective champions, they'd have been able to use the exact same boss battles, just with opportunities for more varied and distinct enemy design; as well as greater storyline context and emotional resonance. It'd also make use of the distinction between the Champions and traditional sages, namely that they all had some notable combat ability and were acting as soldiers under Zelda.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I felt that ending was completely shallow and tacked on. Honestly a big cringe moment. :p

While I didn't think it was worthy of being the reward to finding all the memories and freeing all of the divine beasts, it was nice to see some more of Zelda.

That ending needed something more. I don't know why Nintendo is so afraid to have them kiss or something.

royox

Guys guys hear me one second...

-Sheikahs have some kind of weird magi-tech
-Clan Yiga are "bad sheikahs".
-Ganon is literally a big magi-tech robot that uses Guardian weapons and stuff

Could it be that THIS Ganon is just an ancient (10k years old) Sheikah experiment with magi-tech that went SO WRONG because somehow they tried to merge one of their robots with the triforce of power? A "There's a moment when you know you passed it and you think maybe we should stop...but let's keep going and see what happens" situation?.

Ms.Galaxy

Guys guys hear me one second...

-Sheikahs have some kind of weird magi-tech
-Clan Yaiba are "bad sheikahs".
-Ganon is literally a big magi-tech robot that uses Guardian weapons and stuff

Could it be that THIS Ganon is just an ancient (10k years old) Sheikah experiment with magi-tech that went SO WRONG because somehow they tried to merge one of their robots with the triforce of power? A "There's a moment when you know you passed it and you think maybe we should stop...but let's keep going and see what happens" situation?.

The Sheikah Lab where you fight Ganon is pretty much evidence to that. It's likely that the Yiga Clan had some involvement with the rise of the Calamity 100 years ago. Maybe not 10,000 years ago, but it's likely possible back 100 years ago.

You fight him in a lab? I didn't realize that.

The impression I got was that Zelda trapped him, and over the 100 years he turned his prison into a 'cocoon' of sorts, and he was on his way to becoming Ganondorf (the humanoid skull, semi-humanoid structure, like a grotesque twisted idea of what a human is) when Zelda's powers let out and he was freed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My takeaway from that was that the Yiga were responsible for allowing Ganon to take over the Shiekah tech this time around. His weird mecha-form was obviously their doing as well. You have to wonder what his "complete" resurrection would have looked like. This one seemed to lack sentience, like a more extreme version of the botched resurrection in the Oracle games.

Ganon is overall pretty poorly explained. We know:

-He attacked 10,000 years ago and failed
-He attacked 100 years ago and won against the exact same tactics
-He is fought in a lab (Yiga stuff)
-He's incomplete
-He's been in a cocoon for 100 years thanks to Zelda
-He was trying to "reincarnate" and was stopped by Link

I wish we saw Zelda confront him at Hyrule Castle 100 years ago. If he's inside the cocoon heart thing, then what was the weird pig-mist? His spirit? Did he have a physical form that Zelda sealed away - like, did she fight Spider Ganon? The whole sealing stuff is underexplained.

I haven't heard much from the Japanese dub, but I hope it's much better than what we got for the English dub. Zelda's voice was especially one I had a hard time keeping a straight face listening to.

It's like the VA direction told her to play Princess Zelda like she was also a cartoon owl.

royox

The Sheikah Lab where you fight Ganon is pretty much evidence to that. It's likely that the Yiga Clan had some involvement with the rise of the Calamity 100 years ago. Maybe not 10,000 years ago, but it's likely possible back 100 years ago.

THAT WAS A LAB???

Ms.Galaxy

You fight him in a lab? I didn't realize that.

The impression I got was that Zelda trapped him, and over the 100 years he turned his prison into a 'cocoon' of sorts, and he was on his way to becoming Ganondorf (the humanoid skull, semi-humanoid structure, like a grotesque twisted idea of what a human is) when Zelda's powers let out and he was freed.

THAT WAS A LAB???

FsrOnPn.jpg

Yup, you fought him in an old Sheikah Lab.

Holy shit.

What are the chances we'll get like an actual cohesive version of this story? Obviously they have some kind of design document at Nintendo with all of this information detailed in it but does anything remotely like that ever come out to the public? Or do we have to wait for something like Hyrule Historia to come out and explain it?

nubbe

There's not going to be a cohesive story because history is forgotten over the eons, only legends and truths remains.
"facts" would kill the magic and speculation is part of the fun

kneePat

In all those memories I watched, I always wondered why Link didn't have a shield to accompany his Master Sword. In one memory, Zelda warns Link of the importance of being cautious when engaging in battle. Still, he has no shield.

Without it, I'd imagine fighting a horde of Guardians would be close to impossible. After all, we see in a certain memory the ancient machines, when compromised by Calamity Ganon, eventually serve to gravely injure Link.

And thus, Link forgets everything during his seemingly endless sleep. A sleep necessary so that he may rise once again to fight for righteousness in Hyrule. A slumber of rejuvenation. An resurrectionaffirmation for the player; to answer the call of the Hylian champions' ultimate duty: Defeat Ganon.

The game is an adventure that necessitates endless discovery, so that you may fulfill the promise of the legendary hero. A hero awakened, yet again, in a time of great need.

This fucking game. Consistently, it has me thinking in ways like no other game before it.

I can't believe how great it is... down to the very last detail.

So what I'm really saying is:
Where's your shield bro?

takriel

In all those memories I watched, I always wondered why Link didn't have a shield to accompany his Master Sword. In one memory, Zelda warns Link of the importance of being cautious when engaging in battle. Still, he has no shield.

Without it, I'd imagine fighting a horde of Guardians would be close to impossible. After all, we do see in a certain memory the ancient machines, when compromised by Calamity Ganon, eventually serve to gravely injure Link.

And thus, Link forgets everything during his seemingly endless sleep. A sleep necessary so that he may rise once again to fight for righteousness in Hyrule. A slumber of rejuvenation. An resurrectionaffirmation for the player; to answer the call of the Hylian champions' ultimate duty: Defeat Ganon.

The game is an adventure that necessitates endless discovery, so that you may fulfill the promise of the legendary hero. A hero awakened, yet again, in a time of great need.

This fucking game. Consistently, it has me thinking in ways like no other game before it.

Where's your shield bro?

Not sure what this has to do with Link having no shield in the past?

Riposte

Dungeons wouldn't really resolve the limited combat and low variety of enemies. You also have the matter of the design itself not lending itself well to the Zelda formula of dungeons. Honestly, as much as I want dungeons, I think I would enjoy more bosses, especially if they were along the lines of Monster Hunter quality and made use of open-world design by running around and changing tactics based on location.

Crayolan

Holy shit.

What are the chances we'll get like an actual cohesive version of this story? Obviously they have some kind of design document at Nintendo with all of this information detailed in it but does anything remotely like that ever come out to the public? Or do we have to wait for something like Hyrule Historia to come out and explain it?

Never. Some stuff will always be left intentionally vague for the fans to fill in the gaps with speculation. That said, this time around everything surrounding Ganon is a bit more unclear than usual.

Without it, I'd imagine fighting a horde of Guardians would be close to impossible. After all, we see in a certain memory the ancient machines, when compromised by Calamity Ganon, eventually serve to gravely injure Link.

Where's your shield bro?

Notice how the majority of disabled guardians out in the world are missing limbs--because Link was probably fighting them off just with his sword.

Ms.Galaxy

Kinda interesting how there's a Gate of Time in the Hyrule Castle throne room:
JIItSqF.jpg

The DLC is an Alternative Timeline where Calamity Ganon used the gate to tear open a portal in time and fling Link into the future, where his evil is law. Now the hero seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Ganon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The DLC is an Alternative Timeline where Calamity Ganon used the gate to tear open a portal in time and fling Link into the future, where his evil is law. Now the hero seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Ganon.
Just what we need. More timelines!

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I'm very much into this. Would play DLC with Sheikah outfit, shirtless or in underwear, to stay true to Samurai Jack

Crayolan

All weapons are now Windcleavers.

Missing two shrines, one is the blood moon one but I have absolutely no idea where the other one is. I've check the maps over and over and I can't find it.

RagnarokX

Where is this from?

It's from the room you fight Calamity Ganon in. I made that translation from a guy streaming pre-release. The room has LABORATORY written everywhere in it.

WVW69kLUD_g1cPqXMK

You can also access the outside wall of this laboratory via a hidden passage in the castle library, which may be how Yiga clansmen accessed it if they were involved in resurrecting Ganon.

7idjNgHl.jpg

all of that text says "laboratory"

That trailer was a lie, it looked as if you were with Zelda and the other characters all the time. Turns out they're all dead except Zelda and you see all of them in short memory sequences only. I'm very disappointed with the story and characters in this game.

As great as BOTW is, I would have preferred a game that took place 100 years before BOTW. You play as Link accompanying Zelda on her travels throughout Hyrule, you team up with the other champions and get to know them. Then Ganon awakes, the war starts, the champions you got to know and care for die, Hyrule is destroyed and the attempt to seal Ganon fails. Zelda puts Link into cryogenic sleep and returns to Hyrule Castle to face Ganon alone. The end. A sad, but powerful ending. Save the happy end for the sequel. Then the sequel could be BOTW as we have it now. That would have been much cooler IMO. Maybe the DLC takes place in the past, that would be great.

RagnarokX

While I was down here in Ganon's Laboratory I noticed the cool mural on the wall. It's a panoramic view of Hyrule!

EmqLArEh.jpg

Deku Tree on the left, Death Mountain and Vah Rudania on the right.

QdJfomzh.jpg

Vah Medoh at Rito Village.

bMVpuV7h.jpg

Vah Naboris stomping around Gerudo Town.

clHoGw5.jpg

Dueling Peaks on the right, Zora's Domain and Vah Ruta on the left.

Also if you look at the map screen you can see that all of the locations are in the correct direction relative to the castle.

Ms.Galaxy

While I was down here in Ganon's Laboratory I noticed the cool mural on the wall. It's a panoramic view of Hyrule!

EmqLArEh.jpg

Deku Tree on the left, Death Mountain and Vah Rudania on the right.

QdJfomzh.jpg

Vah Medoh at Rito Village.

bMVpuV7h.jpg

Vah Naboris stomping around Gerudo Town.

clHoGw5.jpg

Dueling Peaks on the right, Zora's Domain and Vah Ruta on the left.

I love when Nintendo adds these neat little details that most people wouldn't notice.

Finally finished it and all the usual things said, phenomenal game, GOTY, et al. remarks are shared.

But finally entering and exploring Hyrule Castle was in a sense bittersweet because it made me wish the rest of the world had comparable locations. Took me back to Phantom Pain and wishing it had locations with the depth of Ground Zeroes. At least with Zelda there will be a next time.

Twookie

Finally did all the shrines today, HOWEVER, there's ONE shrine quest I haven't done. I assume I have not read a sign or something dumb

FUCK

Majukun

Never. Some stuff will always be left intentionally vague for the fans to fill in the gaps with speculation. That said, this time around everything surrounding Ganon is a bit more unclear than usual.

Notice how the majority of disabled guardians out in the world are missing limbs--because Link was probably fighting them off just with his sword.
Yes! another great detail. Link from 100 years ago was not capable of defeating Ganon.

actually,i think the old link was way mroe badass than the actual one..i mena in one of those memories he did basically a massacre of monsters,lynels included, the link in the present at best can fight one lynel at a time.

the main difference is that the number of guardians around now it's much lower than before,given how many broken ones there are around that were instead in top shape when ganon made his move 100 years ago.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Calamity Ganon. Ganon doesn't exist in this timeline and only attacked once before being left behind in the old Hyrule. We also know Rito to exist in other timelines, see the wall carvings in Twilight Princess HD. And there was an ancient sea waaaay before the Great Sea of Wind Waker, as seen in Skyward Sword.

I personally think it's the Downfall timeline, but it's possible it's Child. I'm certain it's not Adult.
What are you talking about? The game even mentiones that He used to be taking the shape of the Gerudo once upon a time. Pretty sure Calamity Ganon is more or less just the bodyless perosnification of Ganon/Demises curse in this far future.

What are you talking about? The game even mentiones that He used to be taking the shape of the Gerudo once upon a time. Pretty sure Calamity Ganon is more or less just the bodyless perosnification of Ganon/Demises curse in this far future.

Zero-ELEC was talking about the adult timeline post WW where Ganon is stuck under the sea.

Top Bottom