• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"For Exposure" is one of my favoirte twitter accounts

I think the worst thing I hate are the people who ask for you to do shit at the very last moment. Working at OfficeMax and freelance has shown me that despite people being very well-off they don't really know about anything, like, at all. I can't count how many times I have taken orders for customers that want their shit done immediately or the day of. It's like they know we have a load order, but they give no fucks for the worker/designer.

We also have price sheets for everything we do and when we tell them it's going to be THIS much or THAT much..... Guess what their answers are? Why is it so expensive? I can get it done for so much cheaper by this person that I know..... Suuuuure.

They barely cared for putting me on the map. They just cared that they can get their shit done as fast as possible, while also looking the prettiest, and for no cost (or as little as possible). To those folks all I can say is, "bye Felicia!"

I have also ran into those folks who go, "can't you just grab something on the internet and slap it on for my flyer/business cards/logo/etc.?" ��

Yeah I work at a printing company and within the last year or so we went through a period where almost every customer who walked in needed a rush job. So, unfortunately we had to add a very high rush charge for those who wanted a super unreasonable turnaround. Its not because we want to make more money, its simply to try to train our customers to order in advance, when possible, and respect our standard turnaround times.

Unit 33

I worked at an university, and people rang up constantly, asking if we knew any students that want to do X for free.

We always refused to share briefs that are unpaid (with the exception of some charity work).

Otherwise as an illustrator, I find that it happens very frequently, and there are friends of mine who take these kinda fo breifs because they're having such a hard time finding real work.

I guess their deperation to do any kind of work (with the hope that one day it will lead to a big job) is feeding this kind of culture.

...I hope some of these arent real. They're infuriating. Especially that fucking wedding one.

I know it sounds defeatist, but people get fucking dumb around people in labor positions. They just shut off their brain and expect that, just because you are in X position, that means you can work magic.

At my old mailroom job in college, some guy wrote up a manifesto about how it was our job to give people their packages. Well, it is, but we can't just summon them. This declaration of rebellion then went on to say how stupid we all must be because it is the easiest job to just hand someone something, and we can't even do that. One girl came up and asked us to check and see if her bike had arrived.

UrbanRats

"You enjoy drawing/painting/playing music/etc. anyway, why should i pay you to have fun?" is another common one.

"You get to draw, I get my Sonic fan-fiction brought to life, it's a Win-Win!"

Monocle

Greetings NeoGAF, I'd like to share with you an exciting opportunity to benefit humanity. Namely one human, me. I've decided not to work ever on account of being an unbelievably entitled cocklord. If I don't work I don't make money, if I don't make money I don't eat, and if I don't eat I die.

Finance my existence. Or are you some sort of fucking murderer?

Pls respond.

Drencrom

DD_8IwXU0AAeTZF.jpg:small

ibrahima

Banned
I followed this account for a while but it went from being about 'for exposure work' in a variety of creative industries to mainly being about Furries trying to get free art work done of their chosen character, is there really that many furries in the world?

My graphic design professor has told me all kinds of crazy stories of him dealing with clients. One client rejected him and didn't pay him for a logo and then went ahead with using said logo.

Oh man. Was just scrolling through this thread since it popped up, and this post^^^ was quite the gem. Got a request from that user right after (even said I could do a background if I wanted!), so I suggested a commission or he could try his chances in the Portrait thread. He never replied to the former but did post his pic in the Portrait thread. However, even when he did get his image drawn in the Portrait thread by AA, not a word of thanks to the dude. Tsk tsk.

Syriel

I found one you might like. Pay us $500 and you'll get to photograph for us! and take all of your photos and no exposure!

DBrkfZLUwAAFS9d.jpg

Honestly, this is the only one that I'd question its inclusion in this thread.

From the layout, it looks like a fundraiser/backer reward type thing. And if it is that, it should get a pass.

If it is for actual work, then ignore what I just said.

Vox, Forbes, and many others.

Thought this was common knowledge.

Hell, read the Gamasutra jobs board and see how many game "media outlets" want you to work for free just to "be in the industry!"

joe2187

Banned
Honestly, this is the only one that I'd question its inclusion in this thread.

From the layout, it looks like a fundraiser/backer reward type thing. And if it is that, it should get a pass.

If it is for actual work, then ignore what I just said.

It's from a concert a while back, the twitter handler removes any names or handles so as not to encourage trolls to harass or abuse. so the've omitted what and where the concert was as well as any names.

Syriel

It's from a concert a while back, the twitter handler removes any names or handles so as not to encourage trolls to harass or abuse. so the've omitted what and where the concert was as well as any names.

I get that.

What I'm saying is that the layout is very similar to what you'd see at a charity site, awarding something like a walk-on role in a TV show or movie for a certain donation. Or as a backer reward on Kickstarter.

The lack of context makes it difficult to judge that specific example.

Stencil

As a graphic designer and occasional model, I have read this kind of shit waaaay too much. In the beginning, the prospective employer had the "good for your portfolio" card, but now that I've successfully done both and I have a portfolio they really don't have shit for excuses. Happens all the time.

PKrockin

Do people think artists can just shit out great art tailored to your every whim in a matter of seconds? Did they see some famous artist signing autographs with a sketch of a character and assume that's what it's like for all artists? Is it a fedoralord disdain for the arts in favor of "real" studies? Are they jealous wannabe artists who gave up and rationalized it away that it would be super easy for them if they had "talent" or "a creative mind" like all those other lucky artists were born with? All of the above? What makes people think like this?

Do people think artists can just shit out great art tailored to your every whim in a matter of seconds? Did they see some famous artist signing autographs with a sketch of a character and assume that's what it's like for all artists? Is it a fedoralord disdain for the arts in favor of "real" studies? Are they jealous wannabe artists who gave up and rationalized it away that it would be super easy for them if they had "talent" or "a creative mind" like all those other lucky artists were born with? All of the above? What makes people think like this?

I'm sure you already know the answers, but yes it is all of the above sadly.

Replicant

"Hi, I can't do design for shit but would you like to do this project whereby you wouldn't be getting paid but might be getting famous?"
"No"

F'kin cheapskates. If I wanted fame, I'd have became an actor instead of a graphic designer.

Top Bottom