• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia Is Renaming Jefferson Davis Highway And Asking The Internet For Suggestions

led4lyfe

I live on Jefferson Davis and I refer to it as either route 1 or Sammy Davis Highway.

I will be nominating Sammy Davis Highway

I'll never understand why America has such a hard-on for a 4 year period where half the country decided to go to war to secede and keep slaves that they have 1,500 monuments celebrating said 4 year period and countless museums and streets named after those traitors.

Because this country is built on a foundation of racism and white supremacy. Flying the confederate flag and memorializing confederate soldiers and generals is all about harking back to a time when whites had blacks in their place.

Ominym

Banned
Leland Melvin Highway
DHi5yy0W0AE3sZ0.jpg

I mean come on!!! He's even from Virginia!!

You can't look at this picture and be unhappy. You just can't.

I'll never understand why America has such a hard-on for a 4 year period where half the country decided to go to war to secede and keep slaves that they have 1,500 monuments celebrating said 4 year period and countless museums and streets named after those traitors.

Maybe learn some history? Way more American men were killed in civil war than all of the later wars combined.

L Thammy

Wth is daughters of the confederacy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Daughters_of_the_Confederacy

The United Daughters of the Confederacy, also known as the UDC, is a hereditary association of Southern women established in 1894. The stated purpose of the organization is to commemorate Confederate soldiers and its main activity is the erection of monuments to these men,[1][2] and its promotion of the Lost Cause movement.[3] Today, the Southern Poverty Law Center lists them as a Neo-Confederate group.[4] Some historians have also described them as supporting white supremacist ideas.[5]

During the period 1880-1910, the UDC was one of many groups that celebrated Lost Cause mythology and presented "a romanticized view of the slavery era" in the United States.[5] Historian James M. McPherson has said that the present-day UDC promotes a white supremacist and neo-Confederate agenda,[22] saying "I think I agree a hundred percent with Ed Sebesta, though, about the motives or the hidden agenda not too deeply hidden I think of such groups as the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Sons of the Confederate Veterans. They are dedicated to celebrating the Confederacy and rather thinly veiled support for white supremacy. And I think that also is the again not very deeply hidden agenda of the Confederate flag issue in several Southern states. "[23]

Kirk Savage, professor of history of art and architecture at the University of Pittsburgh, wrote in his book Monument Wars that the UDC has tried to legitimize Jim Crow rule in the American South.[24]

The name United Daughters of the Confederacy is a registered trademark, registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The organization was incorporated on July 18, 1919. The UDC is a nonprofit organization and it meets the requirements of the United States Internal Revenue Service Code 501(c)(3) as a tax-exempt organization. The headquarters is located in the Memorial Building to the Women of the Confederacy, Richmond, Virginia.[27][28]

Alucrid

Banned
I'll take the bait.

Maybe if it was the only thing George Washington ever did. Davis is first and foremost known for leading a rebellion to continue the enslavement of millions of people. Yeah, let's continue to memorialize that.

people who take obvious jokes as equivocal highway

Maybe learn some history? Way more American men were killed in civil war than all of the later wars combined.

No it's more than that. Reconstruction failed. Instead of trying the leaders for crimes as Germany did the Nazi, those same leaders went in to run for political positions like mayors and senators and was able to keep glorify their cause for generations to come.

The majority of these excessive monuments of traitors wanting to enslave other human beings were erected in Jim Crow era and the Civil Rights movement to remind black people to keep them in their place. This has devoled in shaping the narrative of The Lost Cause and State Rights nonsense that was the Civil War.

No it's more than that. Reconstruction failed. Instead of trying the leaders for crimes as Germany did the Nazi, those same leaders went in to run for political positions like mayors and senators and was able to keep glorify their cause for generations to come.

The majority of these excessive monuments of traitors wanting to enslave other human beings were erected in Jim Crow era and the Civil Rights movement to remind black people to keep them in their place. This has devoled in shaping the narrative of The Lost Cause and State Rights nonsense that was the Civil War.

Exactly. Or like I so boldly put it...

I worked hard on that, dammit! Someone verbally fellate me!

AoM

Edit: missed you included Jim Crow as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

That makes it more shameful not less. And most of the statues were erected more than a hundred years later to troll black folks not commemorate traitors.

Heather Hyer Highway cosigned

Top Bottom