• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

It's completely soulless, it doesn't invoke any sort of emotion from me. It's just... there. I am generally not into Star Wars so I didn't really expect to be enthralled by it but I also didn't expect to be so utterly bored by it.

image.php

;)

Monocle

God no. You live in opposite land. TFA has none of this. Once of my biggest problems with it. Music was terrible muted and worst of all the SW films. Humour was off. Kylo had no villian music, you always knew when Vadar was anout: duh duh duh....
We must have watched different films, because all the things I described made a powerful impression on my first viewing. I think it was right when Poe was receiving the artifact from the old man, and the attack that followed, that I thought "holy shit, this is the Star Wars I've been missing."

BB-8 sealed the deal almost immediately. His bubbly beeps and boops, and the timing of his actions, are just right. The direction and editing is full of the grammar of classic Star Wars. In fact, I can't think of many aspects of the film that aren't suffused with the aesthetic of the Original Trilogy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What a strong statement.. I understand opinions vary.. but god do opinions vary.
TFA is a love letter to Star Wars and was created to be Star Wars as people remembered it from the OT and not the prequels. I actually find it crazy that some are arguing that TFA doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Vagabundo

We must have watched different films, because all the things I described made a powerful impression on my first viewing. I think it was right when Poe was receiving the artifact from the old man, and the attack that followed, that I thought "holy shit, this is the Star Wars I've been missing."

BB-8 sealed the deal almost immediately. His bubbly beeps and boops, and the timing of his actions, are just right. The direction and editing is full of the grammar of classic Star Wars.

Pretty sure we watched the same films. I don't even remember Poe such a forgettable character - he was a pilot right? I did like BB-8. I generally liked the start of the film. Once the film finished the first act it went to hyper-shit fast. By the end of the second act I was bored and not focused on what was happening. It had completely lost me. And I was starting to be angry they had fucked up Star Wars.

TFA is a love letter to Star Wars and was created to be Star Wars as people remembered it from the OT and not the prequels. I actually find it crazy that some are arguing that TFA doesn't feel like Star Wars.

I don't understand how people can't see past how shallow TFA is, all the Star Wars shit is just hanging there, it doesn't feel like a real place.

Einchy

I wonder do people double-down because of the dislike and ambivalence?
Yes, I doubledowned on thinking TFA feels like Star Wars because, like, 1% of people dislike TFA. As long as this tiny minority keeps disliking TFA, I will have the crazy opinion that TFA is very Star Warsy.

IrishNinja

after the abysmal prequels i legit don't know why some of y'all decided TFA was shit. it saved the goddamn franchise from being a perpetual mess of "well...the games/side shit is interesting"

I was so burnt by TFA I never watched Rogue 1. Maybe I should give it a watch.

lots of crotchety fokls who lacked joy in TFA found it in Rogue One, so i'd say give it a go. as a war film fan, it was enjoyable

Let him do what he wants breh. I don't know how many times I've watched the Pitch Perfect movies
DSM was robbed!

i mean....sure, if you wanna watch the same flick 10x or more, do so
just recall that your existence is finite & there's a lot of art/consumable media to indulge

Glass Rebel

Yes, I doubledowned on thinking TFA feels like Star Wars because, like, 1% of people dislike TFA. As long as this tiny minority keeps disliking TFA, I will have the crazy opinion that TFA is very Star Warsy.

Seriously, as if thinking TFA is good is some outlandish concept.

I'll always take solid, average craft over bad, bad film(s) that "tries something new".

TFA had one job. To right the ship. It did its job. The ship capsized because of the prequels.

finowns

I would question what other movies you consider 'love letters' and go from there but that seems like a lot of work with no reward.

Jumeira

Banned
I find R1 hard to watch, the ending is spectacular with some of the best dog fighting in StarWars, but it's there with AoTC (slightly better) as the least watchable because the rest is pretty boring with forgettable main. I like PM, RoTS, ESB and RoTJ. Sorry but ANH is quite boring too and it's aged poorly. It's the one new comers hate the most based on my experience.

...You've seen The Phantom Menace 10+ times!?

I think I have too, watched it last month with my nephew (7) and niece (6) for the first time, they have become Starwars super fans now, can't stop talkimg about it. They made me buy them Lego Starwars, and all our conversations are based on Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin, the Jedi order and Darth Maul who they call "Shaitan" which is Arabic for Satan lol. They're not allowed to watch the rest until they're a little older, but i'm dreading our ANH viewing, I hope it doesn't put them off the OT.

finowns

I'll always take solid, average craft over bad, bad film(s) that "tries something new".

TFA had one job. To right the ship. It did its job. The ship capsized because of the prequels.

You make it sound as if Lucas turned the prequels into a musical.

And now this makes me think if Abrams decided to do TFA:The Musical it would be a better Star Wars film.

And why did the ship capsize because of the prequels?

I've already seen it more times than 2 and 3. Probably not 1, but I was pretty young when that came out and it was one of the few movies I had on VHS (along with the original trilogy).

Fast Five had one job. To right the ship. It did its job WITHOUT being overly derivative of the original film.

Yeah, it went in the opposite direction and had almost nothing to do with it. I love the entire Fast series, but I also consider Fast Five and beyond a completely different series that just happens to start the same characters.

Fast Five had one job. To right the ship. It did its job WITHOUT being overly derivative of the original film.

The reception to the prequels was not good. I don't think that I have to explain this, but apparently this is the case. For the decade between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, the prequel trilogy was summarily pilloried by most of Star Wars fandom, culminating in that semi-final cringeworthy Vader "Noooooooo". There is a younger generation that loves them, but for Star Wars fans at the time, the talk was mostly poor.

Here, before TFA: "Why Are the Star Wars Prequels Hated So Much?"

Because they're not as good as the first trilogy, and the expectations were high.

And also because they're just really bad movies in their own right. People talk about how the prequels dragged down the original trilogy, but what they don't talk about is how the prequels would never have been any kind of box office hit without the original trilogy to give them a readymade support base. If Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie made, then it would just be a forgotten-about series of movies by now with only a limited fanbase.

They're just bad movies. And they're bad movies that made great movies kind of worse. No wonder people hate them.

If phantom menace had been the first movie, there wouldn't have been a second.

And when that logo flashed up on the screen, and that iconic theme music came blasting through the theatre speakers, I DID get that same magical feeling that I got when I was a kid--for about the first two minutes.

And then . . . well, we all know how the prequels went: dull, boring, and with that horrid Jar-Jar Binks.

Maybe nothing could ever match the experience of seeing the originals as a child, so the expectations were impossibly high, but I really found the first two "prequels" so boring that I didn't bother with the third. And, I probably won't bother with any other additions to this series in the future, unless of course somehow someone manages to create something as bold and compelling as the originals.

I'm still mad about the hours of life I lost because I took my son to see two of those horrible movies. Inept, incoherent plotting, annoying offensive characters, spectacularly unimaginative

That's just a random smattering of comments and that was the general take on the prequels.

AxeMan

I saw it. It was a Star Wars movie. I didn't really like it, found it boring, pretty much like all the Star Wars movies

Not gonna lie, watching online nerd communities turn on TFA after it blew up into a cultural phenomenon has been one of the more perplexing experiences I have had on GAF.

Yeah, it went in the opposite direction and had almost nothing to do with it. I love the entire Fast series, but I also consider Fast Five and beyond a completely different series that just happens to start the same characters.

You can consider it that all you like and yet, the characters and motivations are consistent and it managed to re-invigorate the franchise without blatant re-treading. The original films skirted the line of ubsurdity just enough that Fast Five (and to a lesser degree F4) became a nice bridge into expanding world building and themes.

TFA is exactly the film you make when you minimize risk and maximize rewards. JJ Abrams delivered a $2 billion dollar film. He did exactly what he was hired to do.

The flip side is, it doesn't have long term resonance with everyone.

Not gonna lie, watching online nerd communities turn on TFA after it blew up into a cultural phenomenon has been one of the more perplexing experiences I have had on GAF.

Every issue I have today with the film, I expressed after seeing it in 2015.

Toparaman

Banned
Are you saying Star Wars was light-hearted? It was pretty serious from the first Act when his family is killed.

Which was not a big deal at all in children's media at the time.

I mean we're talking about a movie where the villain is wearing a robotic samurai costume.

Go read some of the contemporary reviews. It was very much considered a movie for children, as well as children-at-heart nostalgic for the serials and pulp novels they grew up with.

N7.Angel

Glad the honeymoon period is over for TFA, when the movie released, we couldn't have any discussion with people that could literally killed you for saying things like reboot or average or anything negative about it... fans are cray.

TFA is ok/good the first time, ok the second time, mediocre the third time, couldn't see it more than this...

So besides relaunching Star Wars, JJ also had to make a movie where every single person watching it liked, something that has never been done before.

What are you talking about? JJ did his job. Most people like TFA. However, when you make something as derivative (and safe) as that, it's gonna have critiques.

Einchy

What are you talking about? JJ did his job. Most people like TFA. However, when you make something as derivative (and safe) as that, it's gonna have critiques.
That you're trying to fault their approach on the reason why this movie has some who dislike it when no matter what they did, there will always be some who dislike it.

Koren

I can't bring myself to watch it once... Still salty about the legends freeze, so I fully boycott the reboot. ;)

The reception to the prequels was not good. For the decade between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, the prequel trilogy was summarily pilloried by most of Star Wars fandom, culminating in that semi-final cringeworthy Vader "Noooooooo". There is a younger generation that loves them, but for Star Wars fans at the time, the talk was mostly poor.

Here, before TFA: "Why Are the Star Wars Prequels Hated So Much?"

Because they're not as good as the first trilogy, and the expectations were high.

And also because they're just really bad movies in their own right. People talk about how the prequels dragged down the original trilogy, but what they don't talk about is how the prequels would never have been any kind of box office hit without the original trilogy to give them a readymade support base. If Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie made, then it would just be a forgotten-about series of movies by now with only a limited fanbase.

They're just bad movies. And they're bad movies that made great movies kind of worse. No wonder people hate them.

If phantom menace had been the first movie, there wouldn't have been a second.

And when that logo flashed up on the screen, and that iconic theme music came blasting through the theatre speakers, I DID get that same magical feeling that I got when I was a kid--for about the first two minutes.

And then . . . well, we all know how the prequels went: dull, boring, and with that horrid Jar-Jar Binks.

Maybe nothing could ever match the experience of seeing the originals as a child, so the expectations were impossibly high, but I really found the first two "prequels" so boring that I didn't bother with the third. And, I probably won't bother with any other additions to this series in the future, unless of course somehow someone manages to create something as bold and compelling as the originals.

I'm still mad about the hours of life I lost because I took my son to see two of those horrible movies. Inept, incoherent plotting, annoying offensive characters, spectacularly unimaginative

That's just a random smattering of comments and that was the general take on the prequels at the time.

You can consider it that all you like and yet, the characters and motivations are consistent and it managed to re-invigorate the franchise without blatant re-treading. The original films skirted the line of ubsurdity just enough that Fast Five (and to a lesser degree F4) became a nice bridge into expanding world building and themes.

I'd argue they're not. The Fast and The Furious is a remarkably grounded film for its time, a far cry from the near-superhero adventures of the Fast film beyond that. Even going on just characterization, Roman Pearce alone has been flanderized and turned into almost pure comic relief in most of the recent ensemble films. Tej went from a street mechanic to a genius level engineer and more.

Again, Fast Five and beyond do not really pay any homage or lip service to what came before. Creed would probably be a better example of what you're attempting to get at, but again, bringing something old to a new audience doesn't have to be done in one way.

TFA is exactly the film you make when you minimize risk and maximize rewards. JJ Abrams delivered a $2 billion dollar film. He did exactly what he was hired to do.

The flip side is, it doesn't have long term resonance with everyone.

I certainly don't think it needs to, as "everyone" is a very, very broad space. In the same way that some folks enjoy the prequels, you likewise have many who enjoy The Force Awakens or Rogue One.

That you're trying to fault their approach on the reason why this movie has some who dislike it when no matter what they did, there will always be some who dislike it.

Uh, I gave an example on this very page of how you can reboot/restart a franchise WITHOUT the approach that LFL took to get a result more original.

But LFL clearly knew what they were doing as the film made $2 billion. It just didn't make everyone happy.

Also, when did I ever say everyone needed to like TFA?!?!

I think watching any movie more than three times (as an adult) is pretty weird actually. You have a memory, right? But whatever you like of course.

Anyway, it's a bad movie. Saw it for the second time last week.

Vagabundo

Check my post history. I posted my thoughts straight after viewing the film. I was hyped and on media blackout before it.

I'm also on record that I've liked the prequels well before before there was any talk of a new trilogy.

I'm not s super Star Wars nerd, but I'm up there I have the some merch and I ran a Star Wars Saga RPG table top game for two years - that was pretty cool/super hamy, we even had an ewok jedi. I do like the universe, even the Trade Agreements.

Einchy

Uh, I gave an example on this very page of how you can reboot/restart a franchise WITHOUT the approach that LFL took to get a result more original.

But LFL clearly knew what they were doing as the film made $2 billion. It just didn't make everyone happy.

Also, when did I ever say everyone needed to like TFA?!?!

People wanted a Star Wars movie that felt like Star Wars since they hadn't gotten one since the 80s and your idea is to do what Fast Five did and just completely tonally reboot the franchise? Yeah, I wonder why they didn't do that...

Then I'm not sure why you thought it was relevant to say that not everyone would like the movie based on their approach, implying that there's an approach where the same wouldn't happen.

I'd argue they're not. The Fast and The Furious is a remarkably ground film for its time, a far cry from the near-superhero adventures of the Fast film beyond that. Even going on just characterization, Roman Pearce alone has been flanderized and turned into almost pure comic relief in most of the recent ensemble films. Tej went from a street mechanic to a genius level engineer and more.

Again, Fast Five and beyond do not really pay any homage or lip service to what came before.

No homage? No lip service? The films still have racing, car stunts and high risk driving. Something that was found in the first 4 films. Do you remember the climax of 1 or 2? or 4?

The beginning of 7 when Dom takes Letty to Race Wars (the thing from FF1)?!?

The films all connect through the shared history. Regardless of how ubsurd (and if you watch 1-4, there is a whole hell of a lot of that) the films are now, the base connection of characters is what binds it all together. Yes, they made certain ones a bit more ridiculous but that doesn't actually divert too far from the established norm of the series.

And the notion that they don't pay homage to what came before, the ENTIRE set up to 7 and 8 is based on events in 3.

The events of 4 is why Brian goes into prison in 6. The events of 4,5,6 are what is recotconned into Han's motivations in 3.

I could go on. So the notion that the films don't reference/pay homage what came before is either you not paying attention of being very disingenuous.

Dadasch

There is no movie I watched more often than two times and I have no problem with that at all. I couldn't imagine watching a movie 50+ times, because there are so many good movies, games, books, tv shows out there. Just why?

finowns

The reception to the prequels was not good. For the decade between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, the prequel trilogy was summarily pilloried by most of Star Wars fandom, culminating in that semi-final cringeworthy Vader "Noooooooo". There is a younger generation that loves them, but for Star Wars fans at the time, the talk was mostly poor.

I understand that the prequels were not well received but they didn't capsize the franchise. And this idea the prequels were universally panned isn't accurate.

Roufianos

The first time I saw it I thought it was decent. Then when I got it on Blu-Ray the rip offs from ANH were much more noticeable. I ended up thinking wtf is this shit?

I rewatched the trilogy a few months ago and left out Episodes 2 and 7.

People wanted a Star Wars movie that felt like Star Wars since they hadn't gotten one since the 80s and your idea is to do what Fast Five did and just completely tonally reboot the franchise? Yeah, I wonder why they didn't do that...

Because they wanted to make $2 billion bucks.

I mean, tonally, is Rogue One = TFA? The point I was making isn't even tone because tonally, Fast Five isn't that far off from F4. The point is, when the studio decided to try and reinvigorate the franchise, they didn't ask for a love letter to the franchise.

They took a risk that had it failed, would have likely been the end of the franchise. The result was something that felt fresh and new to the franchise.

Einchy

Because they wanted to make $2 billion bucks.

I mean, tonally, is Rogue One = TFA? The point I was making isn't even tone because tonally, Fast Five isn't that far off from F4. The point is, when the studio decided to try and reinvigorate the franchise, they didn't ask for a love letter to the franchise.

They took a risk that had it failed, would have likely been the end of the franchise. The result was something that felt fresh and new to the franchise.
And how long did people wait between 4 and 5? People hadn't gotten a Star Wars film that felt like the OT in 32 years. They didn't try being "risky" because it's not what people wanted, it's like ordering a Big Mac and getting a pizza instead, people didn't go to TFA for something completely different. It would've been the dumbest thing done in movie history to do something completely different.

And how long did people wait between 4 and 5? People hadn't gotten a Star Wars film that felt like the OT in 32 years. They didn't try being "risky" because it's not what people wanted, it's like ordering a Big Mac and getting a pizza instead, people didn't go to TFA for something completely different. It would've been the dumbest thing done in movie history to do something completely different.

You seem to be caught in the weeds and saying that F5 was "completely different" from its predecessors. As the logical next film after F4, it was hardly "completely different".

Also, how are you not getting what I am saying?!?

Did TFA have to be the film we got (exactly as it was executed) in order to get a film that, as you say 'felt like the SW people had waited 32 years for?"

A script as safe and as derivative as that was the only way to get there?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And yet since then I only watched it 3 times. Once in theaters opening day (Hype!) , second to give it another chance and understand the picture better with my brother and 3rd was for the home release. Since then it's just sitting in my shelf collecting dust. I was watching OT again and they still hold up today. Just as good. Even TPM (somewhat) and RoTS holds up good aside from the stupid cheesy acrobatic fight scene in 3 and some bad CGI. GL is a weak writer so I am not gonna hold him too harshly for that. He should have hired ScreenWriter for prequels. He had the story but for gods sake let someone else write the dialogue.

How many times in the last three years have you watched episode 1 or 3?

All of the other movies you mention have been out for longer so you’ve had longer to watch them more often. Don’t think ‘I’ve watched this 10 times’, think more ‘I watch this once a year’ (or whatever). Otherwise the comparison isn’t that helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom