• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Educating and "rehabilitating" supremacists and extremists: is it a lost cause?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't think anyone is entirely a lost cause, but many people might as well be lost causes from your perspective. What I mean is that some people might change their views if they hear or experience something from the right person, but because you're a random stranger to those people, they won't listen to anything that comes from you.

Edit: When did I get a tag? And for what?

-duskdoll-

Here is the thing, some people refuse to accept the truth. You can show them the facts and try to reason with them all you want, but if they don't want to change and aren't willing to meet you halfway, then there's not much you can do. You can't force people to change. Not to mention, it can be really hard for them to admit that they've done and said some pretty horrible things. In their minds they are heroes fighting for what they think is a just cause, however fucked up that is.

At the end of the day it all depends on how willing is the racist to change, and how patient is the person trying to rehabilitate the racist.

Rayis

It might not be a lost cause but is incredibly difficult and frustrating and would take people with almost infinite patience and a thick skin to be able to do it.

I definitely wouldn't be up to the task, I feel like those extremists have personalities that are extremely abrasive and would be fundamentally incompatible with my own personality.

They have to be open to changing themselves. They have to recognize their ignorance. They must have shreds of empathy to those they look down upon.

It's not easy, but stars can align with some individuals.

The frustrating thing to me is seeing people start neutral and go down the wrong path.

Yes, completely a lost cause because they've decided that facts don't matter and as soon as facts no longer matter and they insert their own narrative, then it's impossible to reason with them.

You can't educate someone who believes they're being lied to.

III-V

Not a lost cause, vet certainly a difficult fight. And in the end, it will be up to them to want to make a change in their worldview.

Top Bottom