• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2017, installing printer is finally no longer a headache.

EVOL 100%

CSJ

Still doesn't stop 99.99% of people getting outraged at ink prices towards me, next to assuming every single printer takes the same cartridge. I'm not joking when I say I've probably told a thousand people or more now the same god damned thing it's like reading a script or repeating the same day ala groundhog day.

"No you cant use any ink and have it work"
"Yes I need to know the printer you have"
"No I don't remember what you bought 3 years ago"
"No you're not on a "system" for me to look up"
"No I won't show you what it looks like since a lot of them all physically look the same"
"No I'm not going to get them all out to show you the names of the printers in case you remember" (Brother alone have like, 250 printers across multiple inks".

Fuck me, I wish people would do their fucking research when they buy something so they know; A: The operating costs and B: What they need to replenish consumables.
Imagine not taking your car to a garage and wanting tyres replaced but not knowing the width, aspect ratio, radial or diameter and assuming the other person is supposed to through magical omnipotence.

Never have I seen another human get so frustrated and angry at another then when it comes to buying inks. I hate printers.

Patrick S.

Banned
Google Cloud Print is super cool. No need for a fancy WiFi printer for printing from your phone or tablet, just install it on your Android and use any local printer. And best of all, setup is a breeze.

Koren

I don't remember a single printer being a hassle to install on Windows.

I don't remember a single printer not being a nightmare to properly install on Linux.

:/

Thoraxes

Holy shit that sounds brutal. So you went to grad school for composition? How's that's been since you graduated?

It's not too bad. Obviously it's not where i'm making my money, since I needed a good day job for the loans, but on the side I teach lessons and compose by commission for events/friends/contests/podcasts/games. I was lucky enough that my school had a contest where I could get both my band and orchestra pieces recorded (and I got to sit in on all the sessions too), so it's been a boon to my portfolio to have that stuff.

I could just teach actual music classes at some of the colleges around here, but since it's hard to get enough classes a semester to teach to make decent money, I stay away from that for now anyways. Could probably teach high-school/grade-school if I really wanted to, since I did most of the music ed stuff during undergrad (would be cake to go finish the cert process off), and that thought has always been at the back of my mind.

Dai101

Banned
It used to be "Harder than to program a VCR", then "Harder than to install a printer". What will the next thing be?

Never had a problem programing a VCR. Until a weeks ago i've never had a problem installing a printer. And that was because the POS needed a 32bit driver that only worked in XP and only because kyocera used a propietary component. **rabble rabble rabble**

OP. You got got. If you print that much you should have gone laser. Ink printer are an scam at worst and a pain in the asslater in their life.

MCN

Banned
Can you get my Dot Matrix printer via Parallel Port working?

starlc10_1.jpg

Ah, the memories...

Imagine not taking your car to a garage and wanting tyres replaced but not knowing the width, aspect ratio, radial or diameter and assuming the other person is supposed to through magical omnipotence.

I work in the motor trade. This happens at least once a day, usually more.

I've found printers in general have gotten a million times more reliable and just in general in working condition ever since Windows 8. Even more so with Windows 10. Just download the manufacturer app from the app store and as long as the thing is connected to the wireless network it'll find it and make it work.

It's probably one of the few uses where a Windows Store app is better than the win32 clients

I must be paranoid but I still print them in case I can't bring it up on my phone

I never got this. Take a screenshot, download the PDF, have it open in your browser beforehand. I can't think of any reason I wouldn't be able to bring it up aside from my phone being stolen/lost, or just bricking at random

bman94

It's not too bad. Obviously it's not where i'm making my money, since I needed a good day job for the loans, but on the side I teach lessons and compose by commission for events/friends/contests/podcasts/games. I was lucky enough that my school had a contest where I could get both my band and orchestra pieces recorded (and I got to sit in on all the sessions too), so it's been a boon to my portfolio to have that stuff.

I could just teach actual music classes at some of the colleges around here, but since it's hard to get enough classes a semester to teach to make decent money, I stay away from that for now anyways. Could probably teach high-school/grade-school if I really wanted to, since I did most of the music ed stuff during undergrad (would be cake to go finish the cert process off), and that thought has always been at the back of my mind.

What was your primary instrument?

i remember buying a printer for college in 2001, installing was fine...

I was super young then but remember it taking forever to install a printer on our family computer for our Windows 98 around that time.

Top Bottom