• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It'll take $2100 or 4500+ hours to unlock everything in Battlefront II

Typhares

Because bots are exploiteable. People would find the best formula credits/time to farm. It's unfair in an online based game.

Well that's only an issue if the developer are incompetent enough to make it so. I agree to make multiplayer more attractive in term of rewards but I don't agree with completely cutting off offline players.
It's also only an issue because the game has a shitty progression system in the first place.
The only way I would agree with star cards in their current forms is if they gave bonus/malus combo. That way they would allow you to customize your character but not give you just a straight advantage.

Cimarron

Meh. I don't mind grinding for "Elite" goodies. But the amount of time needed here seems excessive. And using money to shortcut this seems gross.

As a side note does anyone remember how much time it took to become a Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies? LOL!

Keihart

4500? i don't even have 1000 hours on Rainbow Six Siege and been playing that for like two years now...yeesh, disgusting. Doesn't seem to be even that much content.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Please don't support this bullshit even if you don't care about the "micro"transactions.

b0bbyJ03

I wish we could find out how many sales they've actually lost out on because of all this. I'm not delusional enough to think that the game won't be successful because at the end of the day it's still a star wars game and even if it wasn't the biggest franchise out there there are still a lot of people that just don't care but I'd be nice to get a statistic on this.

Crazyorloco

Please don't support this bullshit even if you don't care about the "micro"transactions.

There feels like people are finally getting tired of this type of features in a fully priced game. Hopefully we see some actual change.

The way some companies are doing microtransactions are so bad, it's making me not want to buy the games at all.

rokkerkory

I wonder if Sony knew about this crap... they should get some retribution from EA on this as they have exclusive marketing rights.

Fbh

I wonder if Sony knew about this crap... they should get some retribution from EA on this as they have exclusive marketing rights.

Well one of their biggest studios , Naughty Dog, is also into loot boxes and pay2win microtransactions. So While I don't know how much they knew, I doubt they would have cared either way .

Blam

Yeah, and i have not been happy with it in every game I have:

Destiny
NBA 2k
Forza
COD

Its just too much.

Forza is different tho. That's just a optional thing and you have perks to change rng in your favor. It's really not bad in Forza, not needed but not bad.

Destiny is just cosmetics so once again it's not bad but still poorly implemented.

NBA and COD can eat chode with how they did theirs.

Fbh

Forza is different tho. That's just a optional thing and you have perks to change rng in your favor. It's really not bad in Forza, not needed but not bad.

Destiny is just cosmetics so once again it's not bad but still poorly implemented.

NBA and COD can eat chode with how they did theirs.

Not saying Battlefront isn't one of the worst of them.

But wasn't a feature that used to be part of the core game in Forza (race modifiers I think) get locked behind loot boxes?

Because that's pretty fucking bad too. I'm not against all microtransactions (I personally have no issue with cosmetic lootboxes in Overwatch), but when you start altering the game design of a franchise in order to push people towards microtransactions you can fuck off

Blam

Not saying Battlefront isn't one of the worst of them.

But wasn't a feature that used to be part of the core game in Forza (race modifiers I think) get locked behind loot boxes?

Because that's pretty fucking bad too. I'm not against all microtransactions (I personally have no issue with cosmetic lootboxes in Overwatch), but when you start altering the game design of a franchise in order to push people towards microtransactions you can fuck off

oh yeah I definitely agree on that front no doubt.

oliander

EA never fails to be the perfect industry pinata to beat our frustrations out on.

This one is well-deserved, so beat away, guys!

isual

4500? i don't even have 1000 hours on Rainbow Six Siege and been playing that for like two years now...yeesh, disgusting. Doesn't seem to be even that much content.
same. 2 years on sirge and i only have jusy under 200 hours. i doubt this gamr will have a population thats similar to siege in two years.

i still picked game because best buy has bonus, but i wont buy boxes. i doubt ill hit high level.

eventually ea will sell shortcuts.

siege is better game. tachanka 4 life

4500+ hours to unlock everything in Battlefront II...

qDxfXgc.png

I lol at the people who buy games with these things and smugly feel they'll never want to or need to spend money on anything. They must think the unlocking timeline is fair and balanced or something. Feels like "Hitler reacts to. . ."

This is what Gaming As A Service means. Publishers want there to always be something you can buy. What they are trying to do is bring a disguised MMORPG subscription type continuing revenue stream to all types of games. The brick wall they are running into is that gamers already have experience with complete $60 gaming experiences. They feel taken advantage of when asked/required to pay more.

"Value" is the key concept here. Players don't feel what they are getting is worth it for the extra money they are asked to spend. As a result games are trying to give low effort content extra perceived value by adding gameplay advantages. It's not working because players can see that extra value it artificial and unnecessary.

If Gaming As A Service is to work, it needs to provide players with something they want to buy, not something they feel they are artificially forced to buy.

Pwlt

Neo Member
I like the game. I had preordered it a long time ago. A lot of work went into it and it shows. I refuse to pay for anything extra though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Holy fuck , if shit like this becomes the norm across all gaming platforms. then I will become a purely old school gamer. That’s disgusting. Holy crap, sad thing is I can see a few people actually spending that much, this allowing EA to feel justified.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why do people feel the need to collect everything in a game? I just don't understand it.

To me all games have a ridiculous amount of stuff I have no interest in acquiring. I often wish devs would tone it down so I wouldn't finish a game and be presented with some garbage level completion stat. Ooh I only did 64% of this game? In smaller 2D titles it was OK because all content could be accessed quickly. In most modern 3D games there are collectibles hidden just about everywhere and the worlds are insanely large. When playing BOTW I naively thought I was doing well with finding nearly 100 Korok seeds mid way through the story. When I looked it up and saw that there were over 900, I got angry. No way would I hit 25% let alone find all of them. Not fun in any sense at all.

Maybe this EA bullshit move and the backlash it is creating will make devs think twice about burying tons of useless crap in their games. That is, of course, if so few people actually go after any of these unlockables that the data shows them that it is not worth the investment.

notacat

I've watched the cosmetics thing for a while now, not buying into it personally. I've been waiting for this day.

So I suppose all new games soon will have a pay to win microtransaction component to them now.

It's especially telling how you're limited per day in BF2 with cooldown periods. So, you can't really play the game as much to even do a slow grind, forcing you to purchase the card packs to progress at all.

Sad times. I expect this to get worse, not better in the future. Part of the problem is the, "well I have the money for it, i guess you're just poor ha-ha!" mentality plenty of people have, so there will be plenty of supporters for this new pay to win in multiplayer world.

Narroo

This is what Gaming As A Service means. Publishers want there to always be something you can buy. What they are trying to do is bring a disguised MMORPG subscription type continuing revenue stream to all types of games. The brick wall they are running into is that gamers already have experience with complete $60 gaming experiences. They feel taken advantage of when asked/required to pay more.

"Value" is the key concept here. Players don't feel what they are getting is worth it for the extra money they are asked to spend. As a result games are trying to give low effort content extra perceived value by adding gameplay advantages. It's not working because players can see that extra value it artificial and unnecessary.

If Gaming As A Service is to work, it needs to provide players with something they want to buy, not something they feel they are artificially forced to buy.

It's more of a Korean F2P MMO model than a subscription model. Historically, Most subscription MMO's don't have too many micro-transactions in them, although games like FFXIV are changing that.

And the issue really is value. Developers are trying to exploit human behavior to get people to pay massive amounts of cash for minuscule items. Are the extra items really worth $2,500, especially when the game itself is $60? Miro transactions have always had markups ranging from 10x-100x, or more, for what you're getting. It's the main reason why people hate them.

Petrae

I've watched the cosmetics thing for a while now, not buying into it personally. I've been waiting for this day.

So I suppose all new games soon will have a pay to win microtransaction component to them now.

It's especially telling how you're limited per day in BF2 with cooldown periods. So, you can't really play the game as much to even do a slow grind, forcing you to purchase the card packs to progress at all.

Sad times. I expect this to get worse, not better in the future. Part of the problem is the, "well I have the money for it, i guess you're just poor ha-ha!" mentality plenty of people have, so there will be plenty of supporters for this new pay to win in multiplayer world.

Publishers gotta eat. /s

This is the future, unless governments step in to put the brakes on it. It may happen elsewhere, but not in the US since businesses control the government here.

Modern video gaming will get more expensive, between the microtransaction standard, increasing P2W strategies, and the impending death of net neutrality that will increase fees for download speed and bandwidth caps.

$60 will be enough to open the door, but you’ll need more to get into the room.

notacat

$60 will be enough to open the door, but you’ll need more to get into the room.

It's too bad. Multiplayer games used to be pretty fun, where hours put into the game put people on a similar level. Whoever paid the most money wasn't a factor, which IS a factor everywhere else in life.

Video games used to be fun escapism from all that.

I guess with the impending destruction of net neutrality, along with low monthly bandwidth caps suddenly, there isn't much of a place left for me anyway. Ahh well, I had fun while things were good.

Heh, I do like how Bf2 has had some angry press though, bringing this to people's attention. Not sure how much it will do to change things but at least we're not alone in wanting to stop where things seem to be going lately.

I have never bought a microtransaction in my life and I never will. Id rather stay at the bottom of the rankings than ever pay for anything and i could not care less about cosmetic items.

That said, i love the negative press this is getting, maybe theres some hope there will be a shred of accountability. Its like trump and the red gang, so many people say theyre tired of hearing about it, move on, but that is absolutely the last thing that should ever happen. They want you to shut up, dont ever shut up about evil greed people!

Mooreberg

Fuck EA. Konami is paradise compared to them.

Sorry but people supporting this game and developer are insane.
After Shadow of War, I'm not actually expecting much blow back in terms of impact on sales. Either people don't actually follow through on these things, or the people paying attention are just vastly outnumbered. I'm a little detached from this one because this isn't even close to being the best recent shooter and was never really on my buy list, but anybody expecting a positive outcome should prepare to be disappointed.

4500 hours is insane

i played BFBC2 almost every day from the launch until BF3 released

2-4 hours almost every weeknight after work

some saturdays and sundays i would play even longer

i totaled just over 2500 hours

that's over 4 hours a day average

Top Bottom