• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

LTTP to this game and thread, but I am really loving it.

I am reading conflicting info on the web and in this thread about injecting SMAA. Anybody got it to work under DX11?

Also I just took screenshots to judge the effect of Alpha 2 Coverage. I think you have to search for the differences with a magnifying glass. Useless feature, turned it off for a really good framerate now.

Aquanox

Ok this works with high end videocards.

Put a 59fps limit on MSI Afterburner. Now I can play much, much better on DX11. Sttutering is almost gone in most parts.

It doesn't mean it has dissapeared, since it's present in some of the weirdest moments, but the game is not enjoyable for me, for the most part.

Ubisoft is screwing it up lately. ACIII performance keeps sucking.

Crub

I get no grenade indication when playing the game in co-op. How do I go about fixing that? I don't find an option for it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How does Blood Dragon compare to this performance-wise?

I can get a nice framerate out of my GTX 570 (DX11, everything maxed out except shadows on high (I heard ultra shadows are a performance killer?), HBAO, no MSAA and Alpha-to-Coverage on normal), I make between 45/50-60.
It's the same engine, I guess I sholud do about the same with Far Cry 3?

Also, is there a way to remove the post-processing (like the scanline effect) and the purple color filter? Just a curiosity.

Dries

Hey guys,

I'm having weird freezes with Far Cry 3. After a while of playing my game will lock up and my screen looks like this:

DDL2jdK.jpg

The sound continues in a loop. I've also experienced this same problem with other games (Bioshock: Infinite and Hitman: Absolution). The bars also aren't always green, sometimes they're grey. They also seem to happen at very random moments. I'm pretty sure the problem is not related to:

- overheating (I've just cleaned my fans and removed all dust etc)
- drivers (I have the latest)

Some games work fine, though. For instance, Battlefield 4 never locks up like this. So so strange. Does anyone have any clue what's going on here?

Trace

Banned
Hey guys,

I'm having weird freezes with Far Cry 3. After a while of playing my game will lock up and my screen looks like this:

The sound continues in a loop. I've also experienced this same problem with other games (Bioshock: Infinite and Hitman: Absolution). The bars also aren't always green, sometimes they're grey. They also seem to happen at very random moments. I'm pretty sure the problem is not related to:

- overheating (I've just cleaned my fans and removed all dust etc)
- drivers (I have the latest)

Some games work fine, though. For instance, Battlefield 4 never locks up like this. So so strange. Does anyone have any clue what's going on here?

I used to have a similar problem like this with my old GTX 260, it would full-screen color and lockup. It only happened in certain games, and it just would crap out the GPU. It was a hardware issue and it never did get fixed for me, dunno if your problem is related.

daninthemix

I finally nailed down my ideal settings. These give me buttery smooth performance (locked 60fps most of the time). The single most important setting was GPU buffered frames. Set to 1, the experience was extremely stuttery. Set to 2, and everything became smooth.

My system: i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz, GTX570 (stock), 8GB

tAoPKCp.jpg

6khFmKx.jpg

kamspy

I found on my machine that downsampling from 2880x1620 (150% of 1080p) gives me better perf and IQ than MSAA in this game.

The ingame msaa murders my framerate, i disabled it and use 8xQ + fxaa in Nvidia Inspector, for whatever reason unknown to me the performance hit is not nearly as bad (maxed dx11 at 3200x1800px on a gtx 780 stock - mostly buttery smooth with rare drops with lots and lots of gras in view)

zXe

Been playing this recently on my 970 and noticed some strange texture glitches, usually on grass or the blood around dead bodies etc.

726d57c7a074222d4ed58193f26b0b7a.png

Are there any known issues with having certain graphical settings on? for example alpha to coverage? Is normal better than enhanced?

Also in the car chase sequence after rescuing one of the girls from the burning house I noticed a lot of shadow glitches going on.

Also I'm using HBAO as I'm on Nvidia.

Top Bottom