• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Wow that sounds serous. Happy to hear you're OK now.

Thanks! It was insane! I flipped the lever up and it just fucking blew up. It welded the tops of my fingers to the metal door, took out all the hair up my arm along with the side of my beard and caught my shirt on fire. I turned around to take a look at it and it was still blowing fire and fireworks out of the disconnect!

I felt myself pull the skin off the top side of my fingers as I yanked my hand away from the metal! My finger tips were black as black as the black on an OLED and the skin was hard and crunchy. I lost all feeling in the tips of my fingers but it's mostly back now. It made typing on a keyboard a weird experience for a few years!

Tldr: respect electricity!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks! It was insane! I flipped the lever up and it just fucking blew up. It welded the tops of my fingers to the metal door, took out all the hair up my arm along with the side of my beard and caught my shirt on fire. I turned around to take a look at it and it was still blowing fire and fireworks out of the disconnect!

I felt myself pull the skin off the top side of my fingers as I yanked my hand away from the metal! My finger tips were black as black as the black on an OLED and the skin was hard and crunchy. I lost all feeling in the tips of my fingers but it's mostly back now. It made typing on a keyboard a weird experience for a few years!

Holy shit, glad you are alright!

Peltz

Damn!!! Holy crap! Glad it wasn't fatal.

Kawika

You aren't taking my Logan title. :p

Glad you are okay. It took a few years to get my finger prints back completely and to have full feeling when I burned my fingers in a pizza oven back in college. Your burn seems to be worse than mine. After that accident, dogs and cats suddenly made my fingers blister whenever I would pet them (water blisters in the vein of video game thumb but more minor). I never had an allergy to them prior. Just weird how the body works.

BTW, you are totally lucky no one had to kick you off. My father in law had to kick his brother when they were working on the electrical one day. Someone turned off the wrong breaker. Mistakes were made and sizzling uncle recovered after a hour or so.

Topic shift. I pulled out my DS Lite this weekend and now I have 7 new DS games on the way from ebay. So stoked to get back into one of my favorite hand helds of all time.

I put some of the games into the 3DS and even if you press select to get the pixel perfect mode, it still looks pretty crappy due to how bad the 3DS screens are. I have a N3DS XL with top IPS and bottom TN. I really wish I could find a N3DS (none xl) with dual IPS. I've been considering importing one from Japan so I can have access to the Japanese games and since the DS games are region free it wouldn't matter if I was using it to play DS games.

You aren't taking my Logan title. :p

BTW, you are totally lucky no one had to kick you off. My father in law had to kick his brother when they were working on the electrical one day. Someone turned off the wrong breaker. Mistakes were made and sizzling uncle recovered after a hour or so.

Topic shift. I pulled out my DS Lite this weekend and now I have 7 new DS games on the way from ebay. So stoked to get back into one of my favorite hand helds of all time.

I put some of the games into the 3DS and even if you press select to get the pixel perfect mode, it still looks pretty crappy due to how bad the 3DS screens are. I have a N3DS XL with top IPS and bottom TN. I really wish I could find a N3DS (none xl) with dual IPS. I've been considering importing one from Japan so I can have access to the Japanese games and since the DS games are region free it wouldn't matter if I was using it to play DS games.

Oh you're Logan incarnate man, that title is all yours lol.

In Canada we work with 600volts AC which is generally high enough to push you off. In the states they use 460volts AC which is more then enough to kill you but low enough to stick you to it!

I know from experience DC hurts alot more then AC!

Back on topic:

I went through the "how do I play ds games the best" dilemma a few months ago and I settled on a dsi. Better buttons and screens then the ds lite. Some guys like the dsi xl but it's too big for me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

And people give me shit for using my left hand (I'm right-handed) and turn my entire body away from equipment before turning stuff on. If something happens I'd rather it happen to my left hand/arm and back.

IrishNinja

can't wait for wonder boy LRG on august 4th or so - got my Undertale LE in, so after kiwami & sonic mania next month i think that's it for me for new games this year!

I think this is a pretty sound conclusion but some people just want to see the world burn, ergo we get idiotic posts saying YOU MUST DESTROY YOUR EVERDRIVES RIGHT NOW

Personally I have the Famicom N8, SD2SNES, Mega Everdrive X7 and Turbo Everdrive v2.3. I will report if any of them start acting up.

OL25P63.gif

hahaha that gif is amazing
yeah, krizz has had thees things out there for ages & no troubles yet - i'm gonna keep on enjoying them

Peltz

Oh you're Logan incarnate man, that title is all yours lol.

In Canada we work with 600volts AC which is generally high enough to push you off. In the states they use 460volts AC which is more then enough to kill you but low enough to stick you to it!

I know from experience DC hurts alot more then AC!

Back on topic:

I went through the "how do I play ds games the best" dilemma a few months ago and I settled on a dsi. Better buttons and screens then the ds lite. Some guys like the dsi xl but it's too big for me.

I'm a big fan of the DSi XL. Games look fantastic on it.

And people give me shit for using my left hand (I'm right-handed) and turn my entire body away from equipment before turning stuff on. If something happens I'd rather it happen to my left hand/arm and back.

Yes they teach right hand rule because its further from your heart but this disconnect was butt up against a wall on its right side. I'm thankful I wasn't just standing infront of it like a dumbass.

that's crazy....

the 1st game i thought of was Elevator Action

I've actually never played it !

I'm a big fan of the DSi XL. Games look fantastic on it.

They do! Unfortunately portability is #1 for me with handhelds. A standard DS fits nicely in my pocket so I can sneak it into machine rooms lol.

By the way, people with instagram accounts. I signed up a couple weeks ago and added a bunch of you. If you're interested in seeing pictures of my games and cat add me back. Account name is rolf_landale.

BTails

By the way, people with instagram accounts. I signed up a couple weeks ago and added a bunch of you. If you're interested in seeing pictures of my games and cat add me back. Account name is rolf_landale.

Added!
My username is at.howe
I'm currently on vacation, so haven't been super active. That said, I've been making some serious progress in Blaster Master Zero on the Switch... usually while hiding in the hotel bathroom during my 1-Year Old's midday nap, haha.

Rirse

Neo Member
I already asked in the other thread about opinions on the framemeister and ossc on a 4K TV which sounds promising on both fronts, but before I go forward with that, I want to ask about the CRT I use right. I have a Panasonic CT 32SL14J that I got for free last year. I found it being given away near my house and manged to get it back somehow in the trunk while it stuck out. It has component and s-video, and while I never noticed any lag, I don't really see scanlines outside of getting close to the tv.

Should I keep using this until it bites the dust or get rid of it and get a framemeister/ossc instead? Probably get a framemeister as OSSC is on backorder until October.

I already asked in the other thread about opinions on the framemeister and ossc on a 4K TV which sounds promising on both fronts, but before I go forward with that, I want to ask about the CRT I use right. I have a Panasonic CT 32SL14J that I got for free last year. I found it being given away near my house and manged to get it back somehow in the trunk while it stuck out. It has component and s-video, and while I never noticed any lag, I don't really see scanlines outside of getting close to the tv.

Should I keep using this until it bites the dust or get rid of it and get a framemeister/ossc instead? Probably get a framemeister as OSSC is on backorder until October.

It's very tough to say. I have the OSSC/4K TV, two PVMs (RGB) and a Toshiba CRT (Component), and I honestly believe the OSSC/4K combo is the way to go most of the time. Mainly, being able to play all my older consoles on the same screen as my modern ones, therefore consolidating my setup, is a huge benefit especially with the digital audio out mod. That being said, I still don't believe it looks as good as either of the PVMs and maybe is as good (albeit for different reasons) as the Toshiba. I still play on all of them depending on my mood and the situation. There is nothing bad about any of the displays, they are all just different and have different strengths. It's really a matter of personal preference, any one is good.

If you already have a CRT with component in, pick up some HD Retrovision cables and try it out. If you nees to go more hardcore, consider the OSSC or Framemeister, etc.

Rirse

Neo Member
It's very tough to say. I have the OSSC/4K TV, two PVMs (RGB) and a Toshiba CRT (Component), and I honestly believe the OSSC/4K combo is the way to go most of the time. Mainly, being able to play all my older consoles on the same screen as my modern ones, therefore consolidating my setup, is a huge benefit especially with the digital audio out mod. That being said, I still don't believe it looks as good as either of the PVMs and maybe is as good (albeit for different reasons) as the Toshiba. I still play on all of them depending on my mood and the situation. There is nothing bad about any of the displays, they are all just different and have different strengths. It's really a matter of personal preference, any one is good.

If you already have a CRT with component in, pick up some HD Retrovision cables and try it out. If you nees to go more hardcore, consider the OSSC or Framemeister, etc.

Yeah I got the HD Retrovision cables for both Genesis and SNES and they look amazing on it. So was my Panasonic 32SL14J a good model? I can't find anything about it online. Like I said, it looks great still, but don't really see scanlines when sitting about nine feet away from it in a chair. Only really see them when up close. Here a picture of the tv from where I am sitting and up close playing the LttP Randomizer. It does look really good, just do wonder why I don't see the scanlines from where I am sitting?

http://i.imgur.com/Fp52zeO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QEbHE7L.jpg

Yeah I got the HD Retrovision cables for both Genesis and SNES and they look amazing on it. So was my Panasonic 32SL14J a good model? I can't find anything about it online. Like I said, it looks great still, but don't really see scanlines when sitting about nine feet away from it in a chair. Only really see them when up close. Here a picture of the tv from where I am sitting and up close playing the LttP Randomizer. It does look really good, just do wonder why I don't see the scanlines from where I am sitting?

http://i.imgur.com/Fp52zeO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QEbHE7L.jpg

Those colors seem desaturared, though it could just be from the pictures. Unless you are on a PVM, the scanlines shouldn't be nearly as pronounced and noticeable than any artificial scanlines filters would have you believe. Aside from the color, the overall image seems fine.

Scanlines aren't nearly the end all be all of retro game image quality as they are made out to be. I say this as a frequenter of the Scanlines thread, poster and appreciator both.

Rirse

Neo Member
Those colors seem desaturared, though it could just be from the pictures. Unless you are on a PVM, the scanlines shouldn't be nearly as pronounced and noticeable than any artificial scanlines filters would have you believe. Aside from the color, the overall image seems fine.

Scanlines aren't nearly the end all be all of retro game image quality as they are made out to be. I say this as a frequenter of the Scanlines thread, poster and appreciator both.

Think it was just the picture. Here is a more further away picture which seems to have the same color range as the tv still.

m4hDCju.jpg

Think it was just the picture. Here is a more further away picture which seems to have the same color range as the tv still.

Honestly, that looks pretty good, to me. I was able to dig up the manual and tech specs on Panasonic's website, I'll dump them on the AV Club board in the hopes that one of the more wizard-like knowledge base posters can tell if there's some sort of wonky image processing going on or not on that set.

TeaJay

Not all consumer TV's have very thick or visible scanlines anyway. If you want pronounced scanlines, there are some TV models that work, but mostly you'll need a PVM or A BVM.

But really, there are some very good consumer TVs (even if you US types don't get RGB scart!) which do the job fine most of the time. Only when you delve deeper into this hobby you will start to look into professional monitors.

m4hDCju.jpg

Hey Rirse, I posted my thoughts on this TV in thr AV Club thread. This pic looks really good. This is about the best you're going to get for scanlines on a consumer grade CRT. As was said, scanlines aren't the end-all, all the time. It's a matter of taste. I have decided I want bigger screen size and a little more bloom than what my PVM offers so I'm likely going Trinitron. Will definitely keep the PVM and maybe look at a dual setup just be extra fucking insane about it. I've come this far - why the hell not?

Rirse

Neo Member
Hey Rirse, I posted my thoughts on this TV in thr AV Club thread. This pic looks really good. This is about the best you're going to get for scanlines on a consumer grade CRT. As was said, scanlines aren't the end-all, all the time. It's a matter of taste. I have decided I want bigger screen size and a little more bloom than what my PVM offers so I'm likely going Trinitron. Will definitely keep the PVM and maybe look at a dual setup just be extra fucking insane about it. I've come this far - why the hell not?

That's good to know. Want to keep using this tv, but should I go ahead and pre-order a OSSC for when they come out in October. It sounds very nice, would it be nice on my 65 LG (no OLED but has HDR)?

Tektonic

Hi Guys,

about a year ago, I bought a 2xSNES console lot from ebay. One was a PAL SNES (i'm in melbourne, australia) and the other was SFC.

The SFC has a green horizontal line that runs through the image... I tried using the same display cables for the SNES & the SFC, but the line only shows up on the SFC (trying to isolate issue)

It doesn't look like it's ever been opened, is there something I can do to fix it? (I want to play some SFC exclusives i bought) I'll provide images if that helps.

D.Lo

Hi Guys,

about a year ago, I bought a 2xSNES console lot from ebay. One was a PAL SNES (i'm in melbourne, australia) and the other was SFC.

The SFC has a green horizontal line that runs through the image... I tried using the same display cables for the SNES & the SFC, but the line only shows up on the SFC (trying to isolate issue)

It doesn't look like it's ever been opened, is there something I can do to fix it? (I want to play some SFC exclusives i bought) I'll provide images if that helps.
I'm assuming you're plugging it into a fixed pixel TV via some kind of RGB transcoder? If so,it's your transcoder not handling the way the SNES NTSC outputs.

That's good to know. Want to keep using this tv, but should I go ahead and pre-order a OSSC for when they come out in October. It sounds very nice, would it be nice on my 65 LG (no OLED but has HDR)?

I'm not as familiar with the upscale side of things. I don't use one at all. I think it's safe to say that even if you get a really nice PQ that you like from an upscale and OLED TV, the result will certainly be different than what you'll see on your CRT.

Rirse

Neo Member
Is that a flatscreen?

I like a bit of curve to my CRT screens.

Yeah the information for it mentions flat screen on the description. I do have two curved CRT, one is not in use and probably from the early 80s with turn dials and everyhing, but gets RF only. The other is a Sony Triton that has a nice picture, but Composite only.

Fularu

Banned
I used to have a Panasonic Tau. But my model was the HDTV one (720p/1080i) and 240p looked bad on it. Like really bad.

Hence why I'm using an ossc now (and lf course all the soace I managed to free)

Laws00

My copy of Valis II finally arrived.

holy shit that box is big as fuck.

I always liked Valis. When me and my friends got sega channel we would recommend games to each other. I was over my friends house and played Valis 1. I just thought Sailor Moon for some reason. Loved the game and series from that point

Peltz

Yeah the information for it mentions flat screen on the description. I do have two curved CRT, one is not in use and probably from the early 80s with turn dials and everyhing, but gets RF only. The other is a Sony Triton that has a nice picture, but Composite only.

I mean, I'm sure it looks cool in person. But it reminds me more of a screen you'd use to play 480i games for some reason. Like, the only arcade monitors I've seen that are flat were for 480i/480p games, and even those were rare.

But I like curves in general. The PVM series could even use some more curve, in my humble opinion. My old Panasonic BT series broadcast monitor had a very round screen and I thought it was delightfully old-school looking.

holy shit that box is big as fuck.

I always liked Valis. When me and my friends got sega channel we would recommend games to each other. I was over my friends house and played Valis 1. I just thought Sailor Moon for some reason. Loved the game and series from that point

I had Valis 3 as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. I had no idea what anime was at the time but I loved the cutscenes, art style and that I was playing as female characters. My copy disappeared with all of my other non-Shining games of that era and for years I could never remember what it was called. Actually, it probably went a long way to rekindling my love for retro games as I spent a lot of time on youtube watching random youtube videos of Sega Genesis titles trying to remember what it was called.

I've been looking for this particular title for quite a while. Partially because I really like Valis but also because the box is impressive and it's a bit of a holy grail for X68000 titles. It doesn't work very well from a disk image because it requires so much RAM (i.e. 8MB) because it has 45 minutes of cut scenes.

I've actually been looking for a copy for almost 2 years and this is the second or third time I've seen it for sale on eBay or Yahoo actions. I've also never seen it on any of my trips to Japan.

That little pupa of a baby has some wise words to share with the world. Classic tale of older generations not being able to reconcile changing paradigms.

Top Bottom