• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

For Europe:

Yomawari: Midnight Shadows LE will be available for purchase from Thursday, 27th July 2017 at 12PM BST!

The NISA Newsletter mentioned a soundtrack not advertised on the picture of the LE:

1hcwCDV.png

I hope, this wasn't a mistake.

Also:

The Tokyo Tattoo LE will go live tomorrow. It's the only physical release in Europe.

https://twitter.com/NISAinEurope/status/889465493832302593

Seems like only the US is getting the standard edition. I guess Yomawari: Midnight Shadows will be similar, I'm only seeing PS4 standard editions up for pre-order at Amazon etc.

Haha, no SE Yomawari for Europe, Ani was right. How disappointing :p

OT: Do you think we'll get the new Shining game that is being teased?

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/shining-...r-tony-taka-teases-new-game-announcement-week

I remember seeing Shining Ark and thinking it'd come to Vita... then it was PSP only in 2013. Then I saw Shining Resonance and thought that'll definitely be for Vita... and it was PS3 only in 2014.

I know they'll never come west, but I'd likely have imported those games otherwise.

Ventara

Hah! :D I can imagine stuff like limited run games makes collectors happy as their shelves sing with limited editions of small print runs of good games, what I want to know is how our resident Vita collectors feel about Funbox media going 'remember when shovelware was physical' and grunting out their most recent games like Top Trumps or Vegas Party. Is that something that has you looking at your wallet and sighing, or does some element of curation kick in? Is there a divide between 'The collection must have everything released' and 'must have everything good'? Portables have been pretty good for collectors since most shovelware went to mobile and steam, I feel.

Not knocking the collectors instinct at all, I've built large and small ones in various gaming hobbies, just curious really. I love looking at some of the collections posted here. :)

Personally, I do draw a line for games I feel are complete garbage. It has do have some modicum of fun for me to justify buying it. What helps is that I know I'll never have a 100% complete Vita collection.

Takao

Banned

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/shining-...r-tony-taka-teases-new-game-announcement-week

I remember seeing Shining Ark and thinking it'd come to Vita... then it was PSP only in 2013. Then I saw Shining Resonance and thought that'll definitely be for Vita... and it was PS3 only in 2014.

I know they'll never come west, but I'd likely have imported those games otherwise.

When Shining Ark was initially announced, Famitsu mistakenly listed it as a PSP and Vita game.

I don't know if the new game will be on Vita, or dedicated platforms in general. Tony Taka is working on a whole bunch of stuff and only one is meant to be a traditional video game. The Monthly Hobby Japan reveal with the Sega guy is probably either the arcade TCG or the IRL TCG. Shining has had a few arcade games in the past, so ...

If it is a dedicated new Shining game, I'd say there's significantly higher than a 0% shot of it being on Vita. The best selling Shining games of recent history were on PSP. Resonance didn't do as well. The games aren't high budget, have 0 international audience, and if Media.Vision is handling development, you have to go back a few years to find a major project of their's not on Vita. On the flip side, that Shining 2D fighter was PS4/PS3-only, despite Sega's other recent 2D sprite fighter, Dengeki Bunko, selling best on Vita. Plus, Valkyria Revolution (which seemed like a re-skin of a Media.Vision Shining game) had one of the more lopsided sales splits in favour of PS4 in Japan, so Sega may not want to bother.

I'm going to make a bold statement, though: if it's on PS4 and/or Switch, it'll probably get localized. Resonance came at the end of PS3's life cycle and was prior to Atlus USA getting merged with Sega. I think if it was a 2015/2016 Vita and/or PS4 game, it probably would've come over. If it's anything else (probably even the longshot of a 3DS game), it's Japan-only.

i-Jest

We have a better chance for another Saga game to come over on Vita, if Romancing Saga 2 meets expectations, or won't get cancelled.

When Shining Ark was initially announced, Famitsu mistakenly listed it as a PSP and Vita game.

I don't know if the new game will be on Vita, or dedicated platforms in general. Tony Taka is working on a whole bunch of stuff and only one is meant to be a traditional video game. The Monthly Hobby Japan reveal with the Sega guy is probably either the arcade TCG or the IRL TCG. Shining has had a few arcade games in the past, so ...

If it is a dedicated new Shining game, I'd say there's significantly higher than a 0% shot of it being on Vita. The best selling Shining games of recent history were on PSP. Resonance didn't do as well. The games aren't high budget, have 0 international audience, and if Media.Vision is handling development, you have to go back a few years to find a major project of their's not on Vita. On the flip side, that Shining 2D fighter was PS4/PS3-only, despite Sega's other recent 2D sprite fighter, Dengeki Bunko, selling best on Vita. Plus, Valkyria Revolution (which seemed like a re-skin of a Media.Vision Shining game) had one of the more lopsided sales splits in favour of PS4 in Japan, so Sega may not want to bother.

I'm going to make a bold statement, though: if it's on PS4 and/or Switch, it'll probably get localized. Resonance came at the end of PS3's life cycle and was prior to Atlus USA getting merged with Sega. I think if it was a 2015/2016 Vita and/or PS4 game, it probably would've come over. If it's anything else (probably even the longshot of a 3DS game), it's Japan-only.

Lol, didn't know that about Ark.

Funnily enough, the last console project Media Vision worked on that didn't hit Vita was... Shining Resonance itself. The went hard on the console from like 2015 onwards but Resonance just seemed to miss the mark. Still find it bizarre (and I still reckon that Media Vision themselves made the Vita version of Valkyria Revolution happen).

re. Platforms, I can't see it being a Switch game if it's been in development for a while. This is from SEGA, who released stuff like 7th Dragon and Shining Ark on PSP in 2013; Shining Resonance on PS3 in 2014 etc. And have Virtual-On scheduled for PS4/Vita in 2018.

But I guess we'll find out soon!

Takao

Banned
Lol, didn't know that about Ark.

Funnily enough, the last console project Media Vision worked on that didn't hit Vita was... Shining Resonance itself. The went hard on the console from like 2015 onwards but Resonance just seemed to miss the mark. Still find it bizarre (and I still reckon that Media Vision themselves made the Vita version of Valkyria Revolution happen).

re. Platforms, I can't see it being a Switch game if it's been in development for a while. This is from SEGA, who released stuff like 7th Dragon and Shining Ark on PSP in 2013; Shining Resonance on PS3 in 2014 etc. And have Virtual-On scheduled for PS4/Vita in 2018.

But I guess we'll find out soon!

My mistake. Turns out the Famitsu fake news was about Shining Blade, the game before Ark. There's a joke about these games (and their character designs) all looking alike in here.

Looking that up, I did find this rumour. Bizarre they got Malicious right, but I have no idea why SEGA would port Hearts (maybe to tie-in with the 2012 anime?) or how a UK mag would even know about that. Perhaps it was something cannned like that Valkyria Chronicles Vita port? Who knows.

It seems this week's gaming mags have nothing of importance about Shining lol. Some of the blogs are speculating Taka's tease was about this game, but it's already out and his art is very clearly used in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My mistake. Turns out the Famitsu fake news was about Shining Blade, the game before Ark. There's a joke about these games (and their character designs) all looking alike in here.

Looking that up, I did find this rumour. Bizarre they got Malicious right, but I have no idea why SEGA would port Hearts (maybe to tie-in with the 2012 anime?) or how a UK mag would even know about that. Perhaps it was something cannned like that Valkyria Chronicles Vita port? Who knows.

It seems this week's gaming mags have nothing of importance about Shining lol. Some of the blogs are speculating Taka's tease was about this game, but it's already out and his art is very clearly used in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would've loved Ark on Vita, and that's clearly the game they're talking about in that rumor (combat seems a complete copy-paste of Valkyria Chronicles III, from what I've seen of it).

Maybe I should import it some day, still have my PSP knocking around somewhere...

Also, boo about no Shining news. Oh well.

Fallen Legion on Vita doesn't run well at all, doesn't it? Saw some gameplay from the usual sources and the stuttering and the loading times were terrible.

incpdo

So guys what are the next vita games you will buy this year from the ones announced to release in 2017?

Im hoping we get VA11HALA , i cannot wait! i also have to buy Tokyo Xanadu and a few others i have missed this year.

So guys what are the next vita games you will buy this year from the ones announced to release in 2017?

Im hoping we get VA11HALA , i cannot wait! i also have to buy Tokyo Xanadu and a few others i have missed this year.

You've listed one of my favourite games of all time, and my fourth favourite of this year, so you're off to a good start. :)

Saphirax

Collar x Malice, Chaos;Child, Bad Apple Wars, Demon Gaze 2.

Getting the ps4 versions of Utawarerumono 3, Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu.

Will probably wait until Danganronpa 3 is on sale.

Tohsaka

Mary Skelter is the next one I'll be getting.

redcrayon

Ys VIII is the big one for me, I'll pick up Tokyo Xanadu at some point too.

VGP shipped my CxM order today.

And just now Aksys said on Twitter that the game would get a physical release in EU. Really?

Just saw this on Twitter, haha. Will get if it happens.

OT: I didn't realise Caligula Effect is only 1.2GB. That's awesome! I thought it would be the full 3GB that most full Vita games are these days when they're download-only. No problem fitting that on my memory card at least!

maouvin

Va11halla. Then the next day one will likely be the new Cyber Sleuth next year.
The list of games I missed is vile tho, I'll need a bunch of sales to get them.

Anyone know if Shiin is getting an English release? I stumbled upon it this evening and love the look of it, but its Japan only at the minute so I'd rather avoid importing it if possible. I couldn't find any word of an English release though :(

Shizuka

Anyone know if Shiin is getting an English release? I stumbled upon it this evening and love the look of it, but its Japan only at the minute so I'd rather avoid importing it if possible. I couldn't find any word of an English release though :(

It's probably getting localized, but there's already a translated guide/walkthrough you can use to play the game.

It's probably getting localized, but there's already a translated guide/walkthrough you can use to play the game.

Yeah, I found the translated walkthrough which is why I was so tempted to grab it now rather than wait. Looks like a unique enough game to add to my collection.

Jimrpg

Was just asking myself this last night. I had a list of about 18 games both current and older releases that I still want to pick up for the Vita. I'm already way over budget this year as it is, so I have to rethink that a bit, probably have to get some via digital sales.

Of the 2017 games I'll be getting
Utawarerumono Mask of Truth (already paid)
Chaos;Child
Demon Gaze II
Tokyo Xanadu

Maybe getting
Ys VIII (depending on PS4/PC to Vita downgrade)

Some older releases that are really high on my wishlist -
Final Fantasy X/X2
Odin Sphere
Trails of Cold Steel 1&2

incpdo

thanks for all the responses guys , some pretty good games are mentioned already , im considering some of them to add to my list of purchases for the rest of the year , YS VIII vita edition is for sure one of them.
I hope Mary Skelter to be a good game , it looks good at least.
Im also hoping for some projects to appear in any moment (please do not get cancelled)
Night cry, hearth forth : Alicia , Gyossait (im pretty sure this one is dead) etc

Takao

Banned
finally, wizard of oz 2

if it's psv/ps4, this will probably be the first shining game in a decade to get localized

Takao

Banned
Do you think Virtual-On will be localized? Because I'm kinda doubting it.

I think that depends on how nice the Magical Index people are and how Gundam Versus PS4 does in the west. If licensing isn't a hurdle (we got Dengeki Bunko) and there's some audience for mecha battlers, it could happen.

Jimrpg

For anyone interested, I finished my review of Trails of Cold Steel on Vita:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress....legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-review/

This is why my review output has slowed down to a crawl. The 80 hours I've plowed into this recently lol.

Great review - a couple of questions.

1. How long would the game take if you did mainly the main story? Not sure if I have a spare 80 hours for just the one game.

2. I hear the Vita has some slowdown - how bad is it? It's coming out on Steam in about a week and I'm debating getting it on one or the other.

1. How long would the game take if you did mainly the main story? Not sure if I have a spare 80 hours for just the one game.

2. I hear the Vita has some slowdown - how bad is it? It's coming out on Steam in about a week and I'm debating getting it on one or the other.
The game isn't as good if you don't fully dive into the world. If you speedrun with a guide and don't read text you can do it in like 20 hours. Straight playthrough maybe 40-50?

If you don't mind playing on PC go for that version. The port is gonna be really nice.

Jimrpg

The game isn't as good if you don't fully dive into the world. If you speedrun with a guide and don't read text you can do it in like 20 hours. Straight playthrough maybe 40-50?

If you don't mind playing on PC go for that version. The port is gonna be really nice.

Yeah that's what I kinda gathered from reading his review as it seems there's a lot of other activities/missions you can do along with progressing the story. 40-50 hours is pretty doable for me, but 80 would be too much.

I have a feeling the Vita copies of the first game are going to dry up, so if I have to get it, it probably has to be soon. The PC version I can hold off until a sale.

Saphirax

Yeah that's what I kinda gathered from reading his review as it seems there's a lot of other activities/missions you can do along with progressing the story. 40-50 hours is pretty doable for me, but 80 would be too much.

I have a feeling the Vita copies of the first game are going to dry up, so if I have to get it, it probably has to be soon. The PC version I can hold off until a sale.

It pretty much depends on your playstyle. I did everything during my first playthrough and it only took me 55 hours. That's including talking to random npcs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
August - Undertale
September - Danganronpa V3

Also, where.is.my.romancing.saga.2.in.english

Ha ha ha. Nice spring release there Sekai!

Good lord, I was excited at the thought that by this time I'd be playing something like Grisaia. Not still waiting for Fault Milestone.

Also, where.is.my.romancing.saga.2.in.english

STILL waiting for this one. Even have a folder set up on my console for it. I'm hoping we get SaGa 3 as well but... considering we can't even get the first one...

Well, every chapter you're given a variety of quests of which one is compulsory and the rest are optional. You could definitely skip all the optional ones; and all the talking to NPC's; and probably a lot of the combat I did too, and that might cut it down to say 30-40 hours?

But if you did that, you'd just be getting an RPG with a story that I don't really think was worth it. I mean, the base plot here just isn't that interesting (at least until the final two chapters).

You can definitely play it faster than I did if you put your mind to it though.

re. Slowdown, the only stuff I noticed was during certain conversation scenes when there's a lot going on (i.e. a fire in a building). For the most part I'd say the game ran pretty well. If you're particularly sensitive to framerates go for PC, but if you're worried about being able to play an 80 hour JRPG... then definitely get it on Vita rather than PC lol. I dunno about you, but I'm much more likely to be able to play a lengthy game on a handheld than a desktop or laptop!

It pretty much depends on your playstyle. I did everything during my first playthrough and it only took me 55 hours. That's including talking to random npcs.

Really? That's impressive. I mean, I could probably have knocked 10 hours off my playthrough by doing less fighting than I did, but equally some of the mid-chapter bosses were incredibly difficult and I already felt underlevelled.

With the amount of hidden side quests out there too that require you talking to random NPC that you'll have no hint or flag for, I felt the need to explore every nook and cranny (and I still think I never got an S rank on any chapter).

Saphirax

Ha ha ha. Nice spring release there Sekai!

Good lord, I was excited at the thought that by this time I'd be playing something like Grisaia. Not still waiting for Fault Milestone.

STILL waiting for this one. Even have a folder set up on my console for it. I'm hoping we get SaGa 3 as well but... considering we can't even get the first one...

Well, every chapter you're given a variety of quests of which one is compulsory and the rest are optional. You could definitely skip all the optional ones; and all the talking to NPC's; and probably a lot of the combat I did too, and that might cut it down to say 30-40 hours?

But if you did that, you'd just be getting an RPG with a story that I don't really think was worth it. I mean, the base plot here just isn't that interesting (at least until the final two chapters).

You can definitely play it faster than I did if you put your mind to it though.

re. Slowdown, the only stuff I noticed was during certain conversation scenes when there's a lot going on (i.e. a fire in a building). For the most part I'd say the game ran pretty well. If you're particularly sensitive to framerates go for PC, but if you're worried about being able to play an 80 hour JRPG... then definitely get it on Vita rather than PC lol. I dunno about you, but I'm much more likely to be able to play a lengthy game on a handheld than a desktop or laptop!

Really? That's impressive. I mean, I could probably have knocked 10 hours off my playthrough by doing less fighting than I did, but equally some of the mid-chapter bosses were incredibly difficult and I already felt underlevelled.

With the amount of hidden side quests out there too that require you talking to random NPC that you'll have no hint or flag for, I felt the need to explore every nook and cranny (and I still think I never got an S rank on any chapter).

I read fast! On a more serious note, I played on normal and fought all the monsters I came across. Bosses were mostly S-Craft spam. I did follow a guide though because I didn't want to miss anything.

I read fast! On a more serious note, I played on normal and fought all the monsters I came across. Bosses were mostly S-Craft spam. I did follow a guide though because I didn't want to miss anything.

I guess the difference is the guide. I winged everything. Will probably replay one day in the distant future with a guide (same thing I do with Atelier games - play through once on my own, then replay with a guide)

Re. bosses, I S-Craft spam the bosses, but I still remember struggling on the
Ghost boss in Legram Cathedral
. Also some bosses after that but I can't remember which ones.

Top Bottom