• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well just talk to a CSR because if you claim it's defective, they return it to the manufacturer.

You use defective if it's defective. If you didn't want it because you changed your mind, you could just have refused the package.
Can't really refuse a package if it's just left in your mailbox though.

People have said that CSRs don't give free return shipping anymore, so you're basically forced to game the system.

Fularu

Banned

People have said that CSRs don't give free return shipping anymore, so you're basically forced to game the system.
Yes you can, you just go to your nearest post office and say you refuse the package

Mimosa97

If anyone's in the market for a 50" TV, I just bought the Vizio P50-C1 off Costco website. It disappeared off the site yesterday so I called in and found out that it was sold out but they had 16 arrive in the morning to be processed so after mine I think there are 15 left? Came back on the site but on backorder a few hours ago. It's being discontinued but the 2017 P series does not have a 50" model afaik and the 2017 series is actually identical specs-wise to the 2016. The features of the new model will come to these TVs via an update later this year.

It's $999.99 + tax + eco fee with shipping included which is the same price as it was on Black Friday. This price actually allows you to get the $60 extended warranty option since it's below $1000 =P I usually don't buy 'em but Costco's is cheap and I hear they're good for it.

This model is not sold in stores and is online only. Seems to be the best bang for buck 4K + HDR TV.

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-P50-C1-...-Home-Theater--Display.product.100300296.html

So tempting ... damn.

Do you need a membership ?

Fularu

Banned
Do televisions by any chance ever get included in Back to School sales at Best Buy or other stores? I want to get a small TV for my room, and my flatmates want to get a larger one for the living room. The living room TV can be any basic TV really, but the one in my room will be hooked up to a PS4 Pro, so I'm looking to get something with really good quality. (I guess 4K HDR would be the best?)

Anyway, do you guys suspect some good sales around September, or should I try to grab something over the summer? I definitely want one in my room before Black Friday, but the bigger one in the living room can wait. Also, do you guys have any suggestions? I'm thinking like, 35 - 42" would be the ideal size. Something lower than $1,000 (before taxes).
The Vizio D-series is great and cheap in the 40" space

Looks like Best Buy Canada is testing the waters with the 20% preorder discount

Rewards members get 20% off when preordering "the elder's scrolls online : Morrowind".

Amazon must be eating their cake

The second they make it a general perk is the second I apply.

So tempting ... damn.

I don't think you've ever needed a membership to buy from Costco online. I've bought PSN cards and a vacuum from them without a membership before!

I am also tempted by this but dammit I don't need to be spending money on a new TV when my current TV is perfectly fine!

The Vizio D-series is great and cheap in the 40" space
I keep seing Vizio pop up while shopping around, but wasn't familiar with the name, so I just kind of glossed over them assuming they cheaped out on quality as a means to have inexpensive products. If you recommend them though, maybe I'll go ahead and give them a try. There's a VIZIO D50u-D1 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED Smart TV on Amazon, but the 40" is out of stock right now. The price is perfect, though.

Fularu

Banned
I keep seing Vizio pop up while shopping around, but wasn't familiar with the name, so I just kind of glossed over them assuming they cheaped out on quality as a means to have inexpensive products. If you recommend them though, maybe I'll go ahead and give them a try. There's a VIZIO D50u-D1 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED Smart TV on Amazon, but the 40" is out of stock right now. The price is perfect, though.
Keep in mind it won't have HDR in that price range.

I have a D55u-D1 and I love it (my ossc is plugged right into it and it's glorious)

Also hdmi 5 has next to no lag whatsoever so one of the best 4k gaming tv

iphys

Is EB Games' business model predicated on people trading in games to buy other used games? I'm not sure why people would go there if both big competitors decide to do 20% off preorders now.

I mean, Walmart doesn't care but they have your money anyway for everything else you buy.

People were still shopping at EB even when we were getting 30-50% off games with Tsilon or stacking discounts at BB, so I don't think anything will change really. I'll get games at EB if I have games to unload and they have en enticing trade-in offer, and it is nice to get games release day rather than the next week, but there will always be some people that will just shop there regardless because they sometimes give out random junk like Mario socks or whatever and that's enough to buy their loyalty.

Firestorm

So tempting ... damn.

Nah, you don't need a membership for Costco online.
For HDR you'll need the M or P series but they only come in 50" or higher. I do recommend the P series TV I linked earlier today if you're looking for a TV in that price range and 50" isn't too big. Everything I've read makes it sound like the TV to go with around $1000, 4K, and HDR. Though you can't use game mode and HDR at the same time so the input lag won't be as little as without HDR.

gillty

Banned

Absolutely can, any Canada Post outlet will take packages within 14?days.
If it's small enough, write RTS (Return to Sender) over the label and chuck it in a Canada Post box.

This is a huge reason for me as to why I prefer Canada Post.

fake edit:
Canada Post said:
Q. Can I refuse delivery of a letter or parcel?
A. If you do not wish to accept a letter or parcel, you have 3 choices for refusing the item:

Inform the delivery person that you do not accept the item. It will be returned to the sender.
Take the unopened item with all its original labels to any post office and say that you want it returned to the sender.
If you received a Delivery Notice Card for the item (it is at a local post office) it will be returned to sender if not picked up in 15 calendar days.
The letter or parcel will be returned using the same service that was used to send it. The original sender will be charged for the return service.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb...pe=kb&cat=receiving&subcat=generalinformation

farisr

But here in Canada they don't offer the same 20% off discount on pre-orders.
The thing is, that 20% discount, isn't even just for preorders. You can buy a game 5 months down the line for a 20% discount off the already reduced price. Preorders net you 20% off + a $10 reward certificate. GCU is crazy good.

The thing is, that 20% discount, isn't even just for preorders. You can buy a game 5 months down the line for a 20% discount off the already reduced price. Preorders net you 20% off + a $10 reward certificate. GCU is crazy good.

Damn... With all the times Amazon has messed up with Prime for me, I'm chomping at the bit to get GCU here in Canada.

farisr

If anyone's in the market for a 50" TV, I just bought the Vizio P50-C1 off Costco website. It disappeared off the site yesterday so I called in and found out that it was sold out but they had 16 arrive in the morning to be processed so after mine I think there are 15 left? Came back on the site but on backorder a few hours ago. It's being discontinued but the 2017 P series does not have a 50" model afaik and the 2017 series is actually identical specs-wise to the 2016. The features of the new model will come to these TVs via an update later this year.

It's $999.99 + tax + eco fee with shipping included which is the same price as it was on Black Friday. This price actually allows you to get the $60 extended warranty option since it's below $1000 =P I usually don't buy 'em but Costco's is cheap and I hear they're good for it.

This model is not sold in stores and is online only. Seems to be the best bang for buck 4K + HDR TV.

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-P50-C1-...-Home-Theater--Display.product.100300296.html
This is a terrific TV. I've been using it for the last 6 months or so now. Great black levels and performance in darker scenes, gets pretty bright as it is, and good HDR. I actually bought this over a Samsung KS8000 after talking to Karak (ACG) who tests a lot of TVs. Super happy with my purchase. It supporting Dolby Vision HDR is the cherry on top. Great ongoing support (they got rid of the HDR lag that was adding 15-20 ms on top before). This will last me for quite a while. If you really want a decent priced TV that has good HDR and PQ, this is a great deal.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Alright guys Im really pissed off at Nintendo right now.

I sent my joycon in for repair (desync issue) and got it back after a week. Well the joycon they sent me back has a loose joystick which makes creaking noises and doesnt rotate smoothly. Like, it clearly feels damaged compared to my right joycon.

So I had to call Nintendo up to send it in... AGAIN. I told the CSR about how inconvenient it is being unable to play for a week and now having to send it back in again. Asked if they could give me a bonus or something like an eshop code and she said they dont do anything like that.

Could have sworn someone said they managed to get a Snipperclips code from them.

CaLe

This is a terrific TV. I've been using it for the last 6 months or so now. Great black levels and performance in darker scenes, gets pretty bright as it is, and good HDR. I actually bought this over a Samsung KS8000 after talking to Karak (ACG) who tests a lot of TVs. Super happy with my purchase. It supporting Dolby Vision HDR is the cherry on top. Great ongoing support (they got rid of the HDR lag that was adding 15-20 ms on top before). This will last me for quite a while. If you really want a decent priced TV that has good HDR and PQ, this is a great deal.

Thanks, is there a bigger version of this tv ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Absolutely can, any Canada Post outlet will take packages within 14?days.
If it's small enough, write RTS (Return to Sender) over the label and chuck it in a Canada Post box.

This is a huge reason for me as to why I prefer Canada Post.

fake edit:
Yes you can, you just go to your nearest post office and say you refuse the package
Weird, is there a case where the package is "lost" and you get stuck with paying for it because there's no proof you returned it?

People were still shopping at EB even when we were getting 30-50% off games with Tsilon or stacking discounts at BB, so I don't think anything will change really. I'll get games at EB if I have games to unload and they have en enticing trade-in offer, and it is nice to get games release day rather than the next week, but there will always be some people that will just shop there regardless because they sometimes give out random junk like Mario socks or whatever and that's enough to buy their loyalty.
The tsilon stuff was niche though. If Best Buy just starts offering 20% off without any gimmicks, then I don't know what you'd get from still shopping at EB.

Well, other than the opportunity to put trade in game credit toward Funko Pops, as someone said earlier. lol

Firestorm

The 55" is slightly different in that it has an IPS panel so is better at looking at from an angle but not as great head-on. The sizes up from that are VA like the 50" which is great from straight ahead but not as great from an angle. The panels larger than 50" are also 120Hz instead of 60Hz, but I don't mind as the 50" can do 2:2 pulldown which eliminates the judder in movies which is all I'd want 120Hz for anyway. Not a fan of the soap opera look.

Fularu

Banned
Weird, is there a case where the package is "lost" and you get stuck with paying for it because there's no proof you returned it?
No, the post office registers that you're sending it back to sender. There's nothing on your end and you can't be charged for it.

As soon as I refused the delivery on monday (since Amazon couldn't cancel the order before shipping it) the item was marked as sent back on my order page.

It's Amazon themselves telling me to refuse it btw, so you're not abusing any system whatsoever, And thast way you're not making false "damaged" claims on which Amazon will lose money in the end (and ban your account).

Be warned that going from 50 to 55 is an 800$+ jump in price.

Keep in mind it won't have HDR in that price range.

I have a D55u-D1 and I love it (my ossc is plugged right into it and it's glorious)

Also hdmi 5 has next to no lag whatsoever so one of the best 4k gaming tv
I can sacrifice HDR for a cheaper price point. My main focus is being able to achieve 4k gaming. I'm having a difficult time finding any Vizio's under 50" with 4k - they all seem to be sold out or page unavailable right now. There's no rush, so hopefully some stuff will become available once I move.

Nah, you don't need a membership for Costco online.For HDR you'll need the M or P series but they only come in 50" or higher. I do recommend the P series TV I linked earlier today if you're looking for a TV in that price range and 50" isn't too big. Everything I've read makes it sound like the TV to go with around $1000, 4K, and HDR. Though you can't use game mode and HDR at the same time so the input lag won't be as little as without HDR.
Yeah, I was considering that TV. It's at a very fair price given everything it features, but I think that 50" may be a bit too big, especially if I had to buy it now and then lug it a few hours to my new place in September. (along with my other stuff) If I wasn't moving so often lately and had a place I was sticking around in, I'd definitely jump on that for the living room!

farisr

I'm gonna risk it and not get the farpoint bundle right now. Hoping to nab one at a rock-band like deal at a fraction of the price (even cheaper than the prime discount) later on. Don't have time to play regular games as it is right now and have a few in the VR backlog as well. Definitely won't have time to play this right now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just a reminder today is the last day to get the first Blaster Master Zero DLC for free. You don't need to own the game in order to download the free DLC.

Speaking of free stuff,

FREE

I didn't realize you don't need to own Blaster Master Zero on the Switch in order to download the free DLC. If you ever plan to buy the game and want the Gunvolt DLC which is free until May 17th ($2 after that) you can just download the DLC for free right now. It'll probably be the same for the free Ekoro DLC from June 1-14 ($2 after that). You have to do it through the Switch eShop by going to the game's page and selecting the DLC.

Thanks for the heads-up. FWIW I definitely don't think you're alone, just that most people who play it seem to be on PC? I've always thought about getting into it but I already have too many simulators to play, let alone games in general (OMSI2 Berlin Bus Simulator, one day... ONE DAY...)

Yeah most people play it on PC, definitely the best experience there. I'm a bit of a fanboy for the series (since 15 at least) but have never had a PC capable of running the game. It's still a great experience on consoles though, especially with the addition of mods this time around. They've been doing a pretty good job with the DLC too, so with a decent discount the Premium Edition isn't a bad deal. They usually support the game pretty well, and I'm sure there will be at least 2-3 more DLC packs released before the end of the year.

imBask

Banned
Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 10 -
yABRTIU.png

the t-shirt cost $12

Damax

Neo Member
Does anyone have anymore impression on that 50" VIzio TV? Would it be worth getting the extended warranty for $60 with Costco if I do get it?

Does anyone have anymore impression on that 50" VIzio TV? Would it be worth getting the extended warranty for $60 with Costco if I do get it?

I don't have first-hand impressions of anything, but at a minimum, here's the Rtings review of the P-series. The conclusions should apply generally across all sizes except that the 50" TV is only 60Hz and the 55" is an IPS panel instead of VA. Couldn't tell you if the extended warranty is worth it or not.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 10 -
yABRTIU.png

the t-shirt cost $12
I don't know what store you were shopping at here - but this is what kills the WWE Shop for me. There's a lot of stuff on there that I really want, but the S&H costs are just insane, and there's no way for my justify paying a $50 total for a $12 shirt. My best bet is just going to live shows, and the merchandise stands there usually only have big names.

I miss the WWE store they use to have at Niagra Falls. (but not the ride that was attached to it, lmao)

So Amazon won't deliver SoV until the 24th-26th for me. As I have Amazon Prime, I can get priority shipping. If I change it from Express to priority should it come sooner or will it just get delivered later?

So Amazon won't deliver SoV until the 24th-26th for me. As I have Amazon Prime, I can get priority shipping. If I change it from Express to priority should it come sooner or will it just get delivered later?

You won't get it on day 1 anyway so just do a good old switcheroo(unless that's the LE?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom