• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Amir0x

Banned
That is a bullshit mindset. I need you to play the demo a healthy day or two after me. That way I can rant about how I played it before it went mainstream.

I don't care about being underground or playing it before it went mainstream - I just care about playing it because I'm extremely interested in the game. And it's undeniable that the earlier you get a demo into the hands of the masses, the more people who will eventually play it and thus more potential sales. Plus e-Cred is for thirteen year olds and manchildren incapable of locating anything else interesting in their lives, brah! ;)

Ugh it plays like a shitty version of Gears of War. I will still play this, of course, as I love Bioware and the Mass Effect story, but gigantic sad face here on the gameplay changes. The cover system is wonky to get in to, the delay between the A button and the action it should take is annoying, and sliding into cover when I clearly meant to open a door...fml.

Amir0x

Banned
a shitty Gears of War. But I thought Gears of War was already shitty?

All seriousness, did you like Mass Effect 2?

Sanjuro

I don't care about being underground or playing it before it went mainstream - I just care about playing it because I'm extremely interested in the game. And it's undeniable that the earlier you get a demo into the hands of the masses, the more people who will eventually play it and thus more potential sales. Plus e-Cred is for thirteen year olds and manchildren incapable of locating anything else interesting in their lives, brah! ;)

I'll respond to this properly when my mother finishes fixing my cereal, brosef.

But, yeah. I have doubts this will work. According to the people so far the game is linked to your gamer profile. So, there may be some issues attempting to launch it.

Earlier is not always better. If they release it too early, people forget it about it by the time the game comes out.

I was just being sarcastic. He is correct, although it is fun to get your hands on something early. Problem is that shouldn't be the mindset from some of these companies releasing the product.

Earlier is not always better. If they release it too early, people forget it about it by the time the game comes out.

Lime

Vire, use wetransfer.com. Up to 2gb. E-mail the link to yourself and copy it.

I'm not going to dl it, I'm on PC.

MrDaravon

It wouldn't let me add it to an already 360-configured USB stick; for some reason formatting a stick for 360 only leaves it with 32k of free space, despite on the 360 showing that nothing is on it and something like 7.9 gigs are available. I've only had to use a USB stick once on the 360 ever though, so maybe I missed an option somewhere? I'm copying it right now to a clean formatted stick (not through 360) so I guess we'll see if that works?

Amir0x

Banned

Man four days early is not too early, plus I doubt if people are really interested they're going to magically forget about it come release time. But I guess we need a study to determine who is right here :p

I love Gears of War. And yes, I did like ME2. It was quite a departure from ME1 in terms of combat, but it wasn't bad.

I was just kidding about Gears of War, that's why I said "all seriousness" after those lines. I don't think they're great, but they're certainly fun and if there is one thing they do right it is a cover system.

Did the shooting mechanics of Mass Effect 3 actually take a nose dive (reports seem to suggest they are improved), or is it just the cover system that needs tooling?

I love ME1 and love ME2 and feel there really aren't any other games quite like it out there, especially atmospherically. So I'm sure I'll dig ME3... it'd be one of the biggest gaming disappointments this gen if it ended up sucking

I'll respond to this properly when my mother finishes fixing my cereal, brosef.

heehehe. As long as it's Captain Crunch yo

I was just kidding about Gears of War, that's why I said "all seriousness" after those lines. I don't think they're great, but they're certainly fun and if there is one thing they do right it is a cover system.

Did the shooting mechanics of Mass Effect 3 actually take a nose dive (reports seem to suggest they are improved), or is it just the cover system that needs tooling?

The gunplay is pretty fun for some weapons. The pistol doesn't feel as good as ME1's did. Feels more like...a stronger version of the pistol from Halo 3 ODST if you've ever played that. It's definitely good on damage, and fast to fire. The assault rifle isn't completely useless now, and there's this one weapon that is..a heavy pistol-type weapon almost. Good damage, slow fire rate, and feels/sounds great.

The only thing bad about combat itself is that the controls are either too slow, or too fast for me. The medium setting is let's say a 5 in terms of sensitivity. The high setting is a 10. I want a 7 or an 8. Not being able to tweak that is a little jarring. It's mostly the cover system and actual wonky movement that I have issue with.

I love ME1 and love ME2 and feel there really aren't any other games quite like it out there, especially atmospherically. So I'm sure I'll dig ME3... it'd be one of the biggest gaming disappointments this gen if it ended up sucking

I think the story will definitely be good. In the demo alone I felt nostalgia over ME1(which is ridiculous, since it isn't even that old).

It wouldn't let me add it to an already 360-configured USB stick; for some reason formatting a stick for 360 only leaves it with 32k of free space, despite on the 360 showing that nothing is on it and something like 7.9 gigs are available. I've only had to use a USB stick once on the 360 ever though, so maybe I missed an option somewhere? I'm copying it right now to a clean formatted stick (not through 360) so I guess we'll see if that works?

Same thing for me. It reserves the space when you configure it on the 360, that's why you have no space on Windows but have space when you see it on the 360. Simply copying the folder doesn't work for me either because on the 360 the usb drive appears as if it wasn't configured properly. It only says 'Configure Now'.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

I don't think it works like that if the USB stick is 360-formatted - for demos I believe it has to be un-formatted if you want it to work from copying from a PC, someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Only thing I'm 100% on working is burning on DVD, and I have a DVD-RW I keep especially for demo situations like this.

Still have to wait 20 minutes for the download to complete.

MrDaravon

I don't thing it works like that if the USB stick is 360-formatted - for demos I believe it has to be un-formatted if you want it to work from copying from a PC, someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Only thing I'm 100% on working is burning on DVD, and I have a DVD-RW I keep especially for demo situations like this.

Still have to wait 20 minutes for the download to complete.

I have to step out really quick, but I'll be able to confirm if it works copying to an unformatted USB stick in a few minutes.

Vire

Hmm, I'm not sure what to do then.

Maybe it needs the other hidden files from being configured.

Milly79

For BF3 I had to use a fileexplorer and what-not to get it onto the USB formatted stick. Someone else should be able to shine some light on this.

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/co...ox-360-how-inject-into-usb-flash-drive-2.html

This worked for me with FM4. You need to inject the files. However I had trouble back then with the program and I don't remember what I did to circumvent those issues, but I did get the demo working.

It's a fairly easy thing to do and I'm sure you won't run into whatever bugs I was running into, as it seemed only I had such problem. I'll keep trying this way too, try to see if I remember what I did a few months ago.

Edit: There you go Milly79

2nd edit: But for this method we need the actual folder and files, not what was provided in that dropbox link...

Amir0x

Banned
The gunplay is pretty fun for some weapons. The pistol doesn't feel as good as ME1's did. Feels more like...a stronger version of the pistol from Halo 3 ODST if you've ever played that. It's definitely good on damage, and fast to fire. The assault rifle isn't completely useless now, and there's this one weapon that is..a heavy pistol-type weapon almost. Good damage, slow fire rate, and feels/sounds great.

The only thing bad about combat itself is that the controls are either too slow, or too fast for me. The medium setting is let's say a 5 in terms of sensitivity. The high setting is a 10. I want a 7 or an 8. Not being able to tweak that is a little jarring. It's mostly the cover system and actual wonky movement that I have issue with.

Cool about shooting. Sounds good to me, I don't really remember the way ME1's pistol feels anymore. Been a while since I played that game. Good to know about the assault rifle.

Hopefully I can find a sensitivity sweet spot and the cover system is something one can 'adapt' to, if it is indeed that bad

I think the story will definitely be good. In the demo alone I felt nostalgia over ME1(which is ridiculous, since it isn't even that old).

Well I think the story of the games is adequate anyway, I never got 'into' it like that. They have relatively decent character building exercises in the character-specific missions, which are neat and which I enjoy, but it never was exemplary. What I love is the atmosphere. The incredible soundtracks married to this semi-plausible future (in terms of architectural design), it really transports me. Atmospherically there is just no other game out there like it and every time a new Mass Effect game comes out I completely disappear into its ether.

Vire

ROUND 2:

QUOTE TO REVEAL

Let's get people who can help troubleshoot this.

Cheers, I gotta get going guys. Good Luck!

I tried my best to help...

MrDaravon

I tried USB and it didn't work because the xbox formats the stick. Gonna try burning it to disk now.

Same here, I gotta go for about 15-20 minutes, let me know how it goes. I might try the inject programs being mentioned, but the more hoops I have to jump through the more I am fine with waiting until Tuesday.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Alright downloading the new link. Thanks so much!!

EDIT: To echo Vire from earlier. Don't distribute the links please!

Milly79

Follow this:

Replace BF3 with ME3 and you're golden.

1. Download Horizon 360 from here.
2. Plug your flash drive into your computer and open up Horizon 360. It should automatically open it up in the program on the bottom right hand side.
3. Drag and drop the BF3 file into the window that has your flash drives contents, it should start importing.
4. Once the import is done, close the program, unplug your flash drive, plug it into your 360, then go to My Xbox > System Settings > Memory > USB Drive > Demos, and copy the BF3 Beta to your 360.
5. Once that's done, go to your game library and it should be at the top of the list.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hmmmmm.

Got the download, but it doesn't have the typical "content" format style so I dunno how this is gonna work, seeing as every demo has its own folder name.

Hopefully someone has a guide with the correct path for it up soon.

Vire

Weapon sounds are way nerfed from ME2's. Are they final?

No way dude...

Sounds way better.

Using these:

41ANJf2%2BEoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MrDaravon

Follow this:

Replace BF3 with ME3 and you're golden.

1. Download Horizon 360 from here.
2. Plug your flash drive into your computer and open up Horizon 360. It should automatically open it up in the program on the bottom right hand side.
3. Drag and drop the BF3 file into the window that has your flash drives contents, it should start importing.
4. Once the import is done, close the program, unplug your flash drive, plug it into your 360, then go to My Xbox > System Settings > Memory > USB Drive > Demos, and copy the BF3 Beta to your 360.
5. Once that's done, go to your game library and it should be at the top of the list.

I'm getting a million errors trying to move any files/folders that were in Vire's download to Horizon, mostly things about invalid headers and not being a valid Xbox360 package. I have no idea how the data file was pulled, either whatever was in Vire's download isn't complete/correct, there is something weird specific with this demo (which seems like it might be the case), or I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to wait until someone figures this out.

Top Bottom