• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix, Arizona Now The 5th Biggest City in the U.S.-Has Passed Philadelphia

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Unfortunately Austin is moving up the ranks too quickly too.

danthefan

I'm surprised that 1.6m population gets you in the top 5 in the US. I guess it's just NY and LA are so massive it makes you think the average city is really big too. I know 1.6m is still a lot of people but on an international scale it's fairly mid range I guess.

Ottaro

Eh, it's the metro area that really counts. A city's boundary varies wildly in sq. miles. Atlanta for example is a major metro but the city itself isn't that large from a population standpoint. On the other side, Jacksonville's population is way inflated just because of how large it is in land area.
Yep, this. Comparing metropolitan areas is far more meaningful than cities by themselves.
Houston has a larger population than Dallas, but Houston's borders also cover something like twice as much land area. When you compare metro areas, Dallas is actually more populous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Comparing city sizes and population.

CaJ64aw.gif

legend166

I'm surprised that 1.6m population gets you in the top 5 in the US. I guess it's just NY and LA are so massive it makes you think the average city is really big too. I know 1.6m is still a lot of people but on an international scale it's fairly mid range I guess.

I thought that too, but they're only talking about the actual city part of it, and not the surrounding suburbs.

You look at the Metropolitan area for the actual size of the 'city' as the rest of the world would define it.

Coolluck

Sister lives in Scottsdale. Says it's way too hot. She wants to come back to Austin. But isn't Austin just as hot? Maybe the heat wave doesn't last as long.

Austin isn't as hot temperature wise but it has far worse humidity which to me is worse since you always feel sticky in that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
#dryheat

The really "hot" weather is only for a few months. The rest of the 9 or 10 months are great.

Beautiful desert landscapes, skiing in the north, spelunking in the south, hiking and walking trails everywhere.

Dry heat is one of those phrases that loses all meaning in 100 + degree weather. Its still brutally hot and oppressive. I've worked in Phoenix and walking a few blocks in the shade had me sweating like a ran a half marathon.

I always preferred to compare the metropolitan population. Many cities have large amounts of their population living right outside the city limits.

Dry heat is one of those phrases that loses all meaning in 100 + degree weather. Its still brutally hot and oppressive. I've worked in Phoenix and walking a few blocks in the shade had me sweating like a ran a half marathon.
Conversely, I've been in 90-95 degree areas with heavy humidity and that shit is fucking awful. I find it to be worse than days in Arizona where it is 115+ degrees

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Austin isn't as hot temperature wise but it has far worse humidity which to me is worse since you always feel sticky in that.

True. I'm in Houston and it fills like a sauna mid December.

rekameohs

Banned
Scottsdale is amazing. Easily worth the harsh summers for literal perfection from October to April and one of the best nightlife scenes in the country.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Demographics is what gives.

I would expect there to be a lot of old people.
Only old people watch baseball.

HStallion

Conversely, I've been in 90-95 degree areas with heavy humidity and that shit is fucking awful. I find it to be worse than days in Arizona where it is 115+ degrees

That was kind of my point. Dry Heat makes sense to say when its 80 degrees out but when its over a 100? Its kind of a useless statement because it still feels like Hell on Earth and you're still gonna be drenched in sweat.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It is a dry heat.

Beach is literally 5 hours away. Go north there is higher elevation. Hiking is everywhere. Lots of jobs in IT, aerospace, engineering. Cheaper than CA and no snow.

It is glorious.

I've been there in spring and it was hotter than the hottest temperature on record where I live. I thought that I was going to dry up and burst into flame.
We also have no snow*, though it's not a long drive to find some.
I'm 11 minutes from the beach. I used to live one minute away.

*Ok, there's a few minutes of light snow about once every ten years.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
That was kind of my point. Dry Heat makes sense to say when its 80 degrees out but when its over a 100? Its kind of a useless statement because it still feels like Hell on Earth and you're still gonna be drenched in sweat.

I live in Houston and it's humid as a jungle. Shade won't help you. I'll take 100° dry heat over 90° and humid.

HStallion

I live in Houston and it's humid as a jungle. Shade won't help you. I'll take 100° dry heat over 90° and humid.

I live in the North East where it also gets humid as Hell and that doesn't negate what I said at all. Also being in the shade in dry heat over 100 degrees doesn't make a bit of difference either.

5th largest city and the Suns still ain't shit.

The cheese on the nachos is cold
The chairs are dirty
You can park right next to he arena.
They put pickles on the Nachos instead of jalapeños
The hot dog buns are hard

Inside the NBA reference.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I live in the North East where it also gets humid as Hell and that doesn't negate what I said at all. Also being in the shade in dry heat over 100 degrees doesn't make a bit of difference either.

Well you do you but I'll take 100° and dry over 85° and humid and shade does help if you're somewhere arrid won't help a bit if you're somewhere hot and humid.

Pryce

Phoenix as a city fucking sucks. Nothing but strip malls and chain fast food restaurants.

Tempe, Scottsdale and Flagstaff are nice.

Kevtones

Los Angeles is the GOAT.

+ best food
+ best weather
+ 5 minutes to the beach
+ endless opportunity and things to do
+ incredible hiking
+ most culturally diverse
+ blue af
+ E3
+ best music scene
+ food trucks
+ kevtones

Only negative is that it's expensive

HStallion

Well you do you but I'll take 100° and dry over 85° and humid and shade does help if you're somewhere arrid won't help a bit if you're somewhere hot and humid.

It was never a competition between which is worse. I just said that stating its a "dry heat" when its over a hundred degrees isn't really saying all that much as its still fucking oppressive as it gets.

Phoenix as a city fucking sucks. Nothing but strip malls and chain fast food restaurants.

Tempe, Scottsdale and Flagstaff are nice.

Phoenix's Downtown area I think is great considering its potential for growth (it's gotten much more impressive over the years), but there is just too much separation once you get out of that area. Strip malls to me are the bane of existence, I hate them so much.

Pryce

Phoenix's Downtown area I think is great considering its potential for growth (it's gotten much more impressive over the years), but there is just too much separation once you get out of that area. Strip malls to me are the bane of existence, I hate them so much.

Yeah, there's potential there and some areas have vastly improved but it still sucks for a large city like Phoenix. Hopefully they keep adding money toward the development.

I hear you about strips malls. I completely despise Glendale for that reason. One flat city with nothing but strip malls.

rjinaz

It is a dry heat.

Beach is literally 5 hours away. Go north there is higher elevation. Hiking is everywhere. Lots of jobs in IT, aerospace, engineering. Cheaper than CA and no snow.

It is glorious.

The beach is closer to 4 hours, well depending on where you live in the city. Heading to Rocky Point myself next month.

I hate living in the valley. I plan on moving up north at some point. Maybe where they get a little snow. Flagstaff would be ideal. Beautiful city.

Top Bottom