• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

ZiZ

I don't think anime is worse than it was, it's just that you now have access to so much of it and you have wade through the shitty anime to find the good stuff.

L Thammy

Actually, didn't Weekly Shonen Jump sales also peak in the '90s? It seems like the most mainstream of the mainstream, so I wonder if that that reflects the audience shift as well. Although there probably other factors involved as well, like paper media in an increasingly digital world.

Actually, didn't Weekly Shonen Jump sales also peak in the '90s? It seems like the most mainstream of the mainstream, so I wonder if that that reflects the audience shift as well. Although there probably other factors involved as well, like paper media in an increasingly digital world.

One Piece, Naruto and Hunter x Hunter started in the late 90s so if you want to count that as the 90s then sure? But Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star and JoJo's started in the 80s.

I think with One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, Haikyuu, Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia Shonen Jump was doing better a few years ago then in the 90s. Like One Piece is the best selling manga of all time by a significant number, then Dragon Ball, and Naruto is 20m behind that.

KonradLaw

Anime right now is a lot better than during 90s. No comparision. Of course if you got into it late you only watched crap of the crop from the whole decade. But if you compare quarter to quarter from each year modern wins easily

KonradLaw

Light novels exploded in popularity, while they were pretty much non-existent in 90s and most LNs are shonen. So it's not like the genre's popularity faded. More like it diversified into more mediums.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
68baauN.gif

This happened.

L Thammy

One Piece, Naruto and Hunter x Hunter started in the late 90s so if you want to count that as the 90s then sure? But Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star and JoJo's started in the 80s.

I think with One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, Haikyuu, Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia Shonen Jump was doing better a few years ago then in the 90s.

This is what I'm talking about.

salesjumpy3u6f.png

Jump has apparently lost some 10% of sales in the past year, from around 2.24 million for January-March 2016 to approximately 2.01 million for October-December. Its circulation peaked some 20-30 years ago at over 6 million.

PKrockin

I don't think anime is worse than it was, it's just that you now have access to so much of it and you have wade through the shitty anime to find the good stuff.
Doesn't help that some of the people we depend on to help filter out the garbage, anime fans, apparently have such low standards that I'm hearing positive recommendations for shows like Eromanga-sensei.

I finally went and looked that Miyazaki quote (in the gif) up and it turns out he never actually said that. But the man is still very pessimistic about the industry.

This is what I'm talking about.

salesjumpy3u6f.png

Yeah the circulation of the actual magazine itself has dropped, but I think sales of tankobon volumes individually have gone up. I'm not sure if that balances out, but One Piece alone is a juggernaut.

I finally went and looked that Miyazaki quote (in the gif) up and it turns out he never actually said that. But the man is still very pessimistic about the industry.

Its a funny joke until people started to believe he actually said that. And I don't think Miyazaki is that pessimistic, he keeps coming back to the industry. He's a grumpy old man anyway.

FLEABttn

Banned
The question isn't "why is anime bad now", it's "why did I ever think it was good in the first place?" It was always bad.

Don't follow anime as it shows in Japan, it's an exercise in futility. In the unlikely event a series is actually good, you'll still hear about it years later.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Op what happened is the waifu having super nerds all found each other on the internet and supported and encouraged each other and stopped feeling the shame and embarrassment they should have been experiencing and they instead started buying body pillows and downloading Rule 34 of underage characters and became an important bloc of the anime consuming community and studios started catering to them more and more.

L Thammy

The time leading up to the mid-90s was a bubble economy.

Ah hell, I'm sure you know this already but:

GDP per capita

charts

That's supposed to be at the heart of the demographic shift, isn't it? That's really what I'm wondering about. Although, I got curious, and it does seem like a few heavy hitters finished around the time of that drop. I could imagine that also had some effect. Particularly:

Yu Yu Hakusho (1994)
Dragonball (1995)
Slam Dunk (1996)
Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (1996)

Cyrano

Having only watched Bebop for the first time last year, I can safely say it's not. Ballad of fallen angels totally lived up to the hype. Especially the funny ending juxtaposed against the entirely serious episode.
A series can be more than one thing. Bebop is deeply rooted in film noir combined with spaghetti westerns. Both of these kinds of film are rooted in a nostalgia for a more rugged and "real" fictionalized past. Not a past that actually exists, just one we idealize as potentially having existed.

So yeah, it'd be difficult for Bebop to not be nostalgic. It is based on film genres that are nostalgic by nature. Bebop is trying to capture that idealized past (as Spike is doing both literally and metaphorically).

wbEMX

My biggest issue with anime today is just the shitton of shows that have intriguing plots but are only 12 episodes long, feel rushed because of that and end mostly with an open end, basically telling you "FUCK YOU, BUY THE MANGA!" Don't get me wrong, this has always been an issue, but the amount of shows that are only one season long and 95% of the time unfinished after the last episode is much higher today. I'm less interested in watching brand new stuff with every new season that comes along. And now even with Attack on Titan II only being 12 episodes long although there is more than enough material from the manga to get 25 episodes I'm on the edge of giving up on current shows.

And that says a fucking lot for me, as I only got started with this shit in 2013 when I was 18 and discovered Attack on Titan. I have no nostalgia whatsoever (except for watching DBZ back in the day) and even I think that something went south the last few years.

Basketball

im goin through crunchyroll rn and this is just not catching me anymore. i tried to watch some of this shit but either its some school drama melodramtic type bullshit or its over the top to the point the shit is not even enjoyable.

what happened to that weird action type anime from the 90s man real shit

also why is shonen still a thing :S

EDIT: same goes for manga as well cant catch anything that really sparked me the way it did in the past

Preach ... School drama, little kid shonen
shit is garbage

I found this though ... Real anime ... lots of good stuff from the best eras
https://letterboxd.com/animechief1982/list/anime-80s-90s-non-mecha-mystery-sci-fi-and/

.JayZii

Banned
I don't understand why they still make kids' shows either.

Don't production companies realize I'm not a kid anymore? It's weird.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
To echo what some have said, there's One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan, Another, Erased, Boku no Hero Academia, Dragon Ball Super, Gundam Thunderbolt, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, Hal no Grimgar, Blame! and a boatload of Shonen things. Honestly anime hasn't gotten bad, it just seems like the industry has gotten comfortable with pandering and producing a plethora of the same old things. There are still some unique, quality things out there without crazy amounts of fan service or other questionable things. There's an even larger backlog of things you can watch if you're going from 2000 onward. Can always read manga too...which might be the better choice anyway

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Most of Gundam is pretty terrible, apart from a few series (and I say this as a fan of real robots).

Why are the others moving slightly to the right?

I want whatever you've been smoking. What real robot are you watching that's better/more consistent than Gundam?

Anime gets better once you become invested in a waifu. Watch Idolm@ster.

TBF and i'll be for once actually honest because zombine is my favorite poster, Idolm@ster is actually a fair share better than an idol anime ought to be. It is a great show with great characters.

haruchiha4lyf

petran79

Banned
Osamu Dezaki ,Satoshi Kon, Ryotaro Nakamura are not with us anymore....Miyazaki retired
Most of the older directors and animators have either retired as well or are not as active

That happened.

Top Bottom