• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

How about the slow? I am assuming its the sloth talismen.

Or ki one?

Lightning element and sloth talisman are two separate things that inflict two different slow status effects. Lightning slows bosses down when it takes effect, but not to the extent sloth does.

As far as elemental effects go, water is my favorite. It just provides a flat 7% damage boost from all sources of damage when you inflict it on an enemy, including bosses.

I've finished the first three missions, and I'm not really feeling it.

The world and the enemy design and encounters are just not very inspired compared to Dark Souls / Bloodborne. In fact I started Bloodborne up again because Nioh made me miss it.

Does Nioh get any better further on? I played the first beta, and was really looking forward to the full game. I guess the first areas are less interesting because I already went through them. But still, it's not nearly as thrilling as a new Miyazaki release for me so far.

Did they make it easier than the beta?

Skill is your main stat for your dual swords and Body is your main damage stat for your spear. Stamina lets you wear heavier armor without slowing down. As far as what armor you should wear thats up to your playstyle. Light armor allows you to move much faster and consume less stamina when dodging but takes high ki damage whilst blocking. Heavier armor allows you to take much less ki damage while blocking but in exchange you move slower. Its up to you which suits your play style more. One key point of advice: it is very much worth investing enough points in spirit to gain all the perks from your guardian spirit. Try to select a guardian spirit that compliments your playstyle well.

If you can explain how you like to play the game then we could perhaps give you more detailed advice on how to build and loadout your character.

Well i really like to be quick, do a few slashes then dash out of the way. I am doing okay so far, but i am thinking about the higher level missions. I assume that the bosses will hit harder, so I am trying to figure out if i should wear light armor or medium armor.

So far i have been able to complete all the missions on the 3rd region of the map, but i still have trouble with a sub mission on the 1st region of the map. It's level 27 1 vs 1 fight against a samurai, but he kicks my ass even though i am higher level than he is.

Well i really like to be quick, do a few slashes then dash out of the way. I am doing okay so far, but i am thinking about the higher level missions. I assume that the bosses will hit harder, so I am trying to figure out if i should wear light armor or medium armor.

So far i have been able to complete all the missions on the 3rd region of the map, but i still have trouble with a sub mission on the 1st region of the map. It's level 27 1 vs 1 fight against a samurai, but he kicks my ass even though i am higher level than he is.

You're using dual katana, right? If you're still having problems with that duel, get God of Wind II in your skill tree and then do this to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpXiAPolxc

Oh damn, you tore him up. What type of armor are you wearing? Thanks

I'm wearing the armor he's wearing, actually, haha. This footage is from the Beta Demo where that duel was level 30 and his armor was the best you could get.

But at level 27 or whatever level you come back to him at in the real game, any armor should be fine.

I'd reccomend playing with light armor for A agility rating and then playing with medum armor for B agility rating and see which one works best for you. Any light or heavy armor is fine its mostly just to test which level of agility suits your playstyle best. The difference between the toughness of light and medium armor would help you if you blocked often but it doesnt sound like you do that. The difference in defense would lessen the damage you take but you need to experiment with it and see if thats worth giving up the A agility ranking. Only you can answer that for yourself. If A rank agility feels demonstrably better to you then the extra defense probably wouldnt be worth it.

Once you figure out which agility rank suits you best you can start looking into sets that have bonuses that compliment your playstyle as well. For example there are some sets that extend parry windows or increase final blow damage or damage from behind and there are also sets that increase the effectiveness of specific weapon skills or reduce the Ki your attacks and skills cost.

The thing that makes this game so great is how well it accommodates so many different styles of play. There are sets and weapons to make almost any build you could possibly want. If dual swords are your weapon of choice you should consider looking at some of the dual sword builds ppl have posted to you youtube for ideas of the sorts of things you can do. Look around and see what you think looks like the most fun.

SephiZack

Not sure I am allowed to link scans, but the Free Patch on May 2nd will add transformations into female characters (Fuku, Senji Tome, Tachibana Ginchiyo, Okatsu) and for PvP, there will be 1vs1 and 2vs2

Caim

Famitsu info:

Level 170 gear
PVP is 1v1 and 2v2
Two maybe three new Guardian Spirits shown:
Seiryu
Nurarihyon
and
Nekomata?
Three areas were revealed Aobajou, Chusonji and Tohno set in the Iwate Prefecture
The new weapon type is Odachi which is basically this game's equivalent of the greatsword.
Female skins are in: Fuku, Senji Tome, Tachibana Ginchiyo, Okatsu
Two new yokai shown:
Namahage
and
Rokurokubi
There are also more palette swapping for existing enemies like the cyclops.
Smoke pipe emote
Some UI changes pertaining to different sorting options and fixed-space width

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Take all my money. Team Ninja listening to their fans is amazing, it very much feels like they are one of the most flexible Japan based dev team when it comes to reacting to fan feedback if not the most.

Also a side question forged 160 weapons will still drop as 150 via revenants?

deim0s

Not sure I am allowed to link scans, but the Free Patch on May 2nd will add transformations into female characters (Fuku, Senji Tome, Tachibana Ginchiyo, Okatsu) and for PvP, there will be 1vs1 and 2vs2

Sweeet!

ot: You the same guy who posted some Persona 5 stuff recently on YT?

Famitsu info:

Level 170 gear
PVP is 1v1 and 2v2
Two maybe three new Guardian Spirits shown:
Seiryu
Nurarihyon
and
Nekomata?
Three areas were revealed Aobajou, Chusonji and Tohno set in the Iwate Prefecture
The new weapon type is Odachi which is basically this game's equivalent of the greatsword.
Female skins are in: Fuku, Senji Tome, Tachibana Ginchiyo, Okatsu
Two new yokai shown:
Namahage
and
Rokurokubi
There are also more palette swapping for existing enemies like the cyclops.
Smoke pipe emote
Some UI changes pertaining to different sorting options and fixed-space width

It's all thanks to my petition!! Hahahahaahah!!!

As you can see here

chefbags

fuck yes, gimme that Okatsu transformation right now!

Ready to play again as Rurouni Kenshin's waifu!

rk-legend-ends-7.jpg

Deku Tree

Whats the best build now with the updates?

Are they gonna do another balancing in the next update?

Still gotta play the extra missions that they added... Thanks!

Sarcasm

I can help you in a second but it might trivialize the whole fight for you.

Need to boot up PS4.

Pswd?

Ah let me get on...Oh I died many times so I did my best =p Be a a minute or so, I just setup the PW in options and go to the shrine and click summon right?

Zaventem

I don't understand the translation process they took for this game.

Pictures related. They transliterated a good majority of the enemies and weapons gave pronunciations then decided to give the other half shit like giant centipede..but still give what i'm assuming is the Japanese ones????

Sarcasm

Yeah I suck at this game. I do not know what it is. Every boss I can't really manage and I have no clue why. I manage my KI. I pulse and dodge pulse. I can't evade like I can in souls/bloodborne, yet the combat feels much slower compared to those games. Or is there like no windows? I double tap to roll.

I am at a loss here because the boss mechanics are simple enough but I just can't do it. My weight is green too..

=(

Yes thanks! Game is really confusing to me.

Especially with items and such. Ah man I didn't find all the komo dudes in that mission =(

BTW does parry work on everything? Thinking about picking it up.

With single katana: parries work on human enemies and on human sized youkai (like tiny skeletons with weapons; NOT the giant skeletons with axes).

With every other weapon: parries only work on human enemies.

Deku Tree

Yeah I suck at this game. I do not know what it is. Every boss I can't really manage and I have no clue why. I manage my KI. I pulse and dodge pulse. I can't evade like I can in souls/bloodborne, yet the combat feels much slower compared to those games. Or is there like no windows? I double tap to roll.

I am at a loss here because the boss mechanics are simple enough but I just can't do it. My weight is green too..

=(

Block is often more effective than roll in Nioh. That is a big difference from Souls. The roll has iframes but much much less than in Souls.

I feel like Nioh combat is faster...

Sarcasm

Block is often more effective than roll in Nioh. That is a big difference from Souls. The roll has iframes but much much less than in Souls.

I feel like Nioh combat is faster...

I been fighting the damn NPC hunters in BB..those things own lol. Those things move at the speed of light too >.<

I went back to that level since we CoOp (to get all the komo) and I got to the boss again. Yeah I don't know..wear heavy armour and block? I don't have much in regards to armour though.

Yeah I can't take a block >.< I get exhausted haha. two hits and exhausted. Sometimes even one. This is just her doing her normal combo too.

Yeah I am done..for the weekend. I will try again next week.

So ready to play the DLC. Dropped off when I realized I had no desire to grind for level 160 gear or +10, but new levels are going to be great.

Deku Tree

I been fighting the damn NPC hunters in BB..those things own lol. Those things move at the speed of light too >.<

I went back to that level since we CoOp (to get all the komo) and I got to the boss again. Yeah I don't know..wear heavy armour and block? I don't have much in regards to armour though.

Yeah I can't take a block >.< I get exhausted haha. two hits and exhausted. Sometimes even one. This is just her doing her normal combo too.

Yeah I am done..for the weekend. I will try again next week.

Yeah Nioh is the kind of game where you will benefit a lot from watching youtube videos on how to beat the bosses. They all require some kind of mastery of their techniques. You can figure it out on your own but you can also watch some instructional videos after you have tried a few times. You can do much much better after seeing how to approach each different boss.

Sarcasm

Yeah I am embarrassed because I watched YT videos already. Thing is people get hit and they don't lose control of their characters. Some can even block and not get stuck in exhausted mode.

So I don't know, I am just going to put it down and maybe pick the game back up in a couple weeks or something. I don't know why but this time around its not fun dying to unknown reasons besides me just sucking. I do what I see in the videos but my results don't match and are worse lol.

This game makes me feel like a dumb sore loser and when I beat the last boss I didn't get that satisfaction of beating. More like finally its over...

Get what?

I also been just boosting one stat, skill and it is almost at 35. Beginning to think this is wrong..

I told you I upped nothing but skill until NG+. I guess I should've been more specific. I got the armor stats required to wear decent armor (so like 10-11), and I got dexterity and magic to the levels required to unlock the dojo missions.

Other than that, I literally upped nothing but skill.

However, if you're having problems dodging and blocking, you may want to look into upping the HP and Ki stats (body and heart if I remember right).

Yeah I am embarrassed because I watched YT videos already. Thing is people get hit and they don't lose control of their characters. Some can even block and not get stuck in exhausted mode.

So I don't know, I am just going to put it down and maybe pick the game back up in a couple weeks or something. I don't know why but this time around its not fun dying to unknown reasons besides me just sucking. I do what I see in the videos but my results don't match and are worse lol.

This game makes me feel like a dumb sore loser and when I beat the last boss I didn't get that satisfaction of beating. More like finally its over...

Try watching a low level runs, their general tactics are about understanding the core mechanics rather than going to town on them or manipulating their design like the usual boss videos, watching how they play could give you some insight on the basic movements they do which allows them to play without getting hit.

Wow the official guide is now May 31 ...

lmao. I actually just started playing again after the flood of other early 2017 games... Had the guide pre-ordered since before the game came out. For some reason, FuturePress just can't hit target release dates to coincide with the game. The Horizon Zero Dawn guide was late as well.

randomly decided to start nioh again after a month or so of now playing it. Getting wrecked D:

edit: wiat its slowly coming back, just like riding a bike again..

edit2: manage to beat the boss on my first attmept.

Top Bottom