• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

ChrisD

It's nuts how Animal Crossing amiibo may be one of the biggest factors in the amiibo market quote unquote crashing. Retailers around me (well, Walmart and Target) quit carrying any new ones after that. GameStop and Best Buy were the only people that still kept up in-store.

I'm sure people would still buy new ones if they'd just... You know... Put new ones. Clearance the suckers hard. They're never going to move otherwise.

LiK

WTF with the insane amount of AC amiibos and yet finding the 30th Anniversary Zelda ones are a pain.

I'm happy I imported the JPN ones.

It's nuts how Animal Crossing amiibo may be one of the biggest factors in the amiibo market quote unquote crashing. Retailers around me (well, Walmart and Target) quit carrying any new ones after that. GameStop and Best Buy were the only people that still kept up in-store.

I'm sure people would still buy new ones if they'd just... You know... Put new ones. Clearance the suckers hard. They're never going to move otherwise.

Most Walmarts and Targets seem like that, but they're actually still carrying new ones. It's just they're getting smaller shipments that sell fast and aren't restocked (and then you have Zelda figures which are in massive demand). My Target sells new ones straight from the electronics desk and often just sells them all before they bother hanging the rest up. Sometimes a couple will make it to the isle, but they eventually sell out and it goes back to Animal Crossing and some Super Mario stragglers.

Nintendo needs to make AC amiibo do something really worthwhile in the inevitable (?) Switch game, so people finally start picking up all the AC figures out there. They fucked up by tying them to 1) a terrible spin-off game on Wii U, 2) a niche spin-off on 3DS, and 3) a patch to a half-decade old game, and expecting those to push figure sales somehow.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Finally done :^D

3ulkrhu7kjfz.jpg

Awesome photo!

ChrisD

Corrin P2 delayed a week.

Look, Amazon, I'm fine with delays. Delay it a month. Just please actually send it to me in a well-packed box. I just want to know it won't get cancelled. :/

Bluth54

They really overstocked on those Animal Crossing amiibos.

Even though I'm not a big Animal Crossing fan I bought a couple from Walmart's site cause they were only like $3 or $4 each.

It's kinda surprising that Nintendo hasn't fast tracked and announced an Animal Crossing for Switch with heavy amiibo support so they don't just rot on store shelves or get sold at fire sale prices.

We'll also probably never know who at Nintendo thought making the Animal Crossing Amiibo companion game which can best be described as "Mario Party but without the minigames" a good idea.

I wish they'd announce the functionality for amiibos in Fire Emblem Warriors!

Functionality of the champions in BotW would be a nice reveal, too. I know I'll be getting them either way, but I'm really curious to see how they'll bring people back to the game and make 'em a worthwhile investment.

I personally love all the AC amiibo. Big fan of the series, especially New Leaf. But I do agree with most of you that I wish they did more. They only thing going for them is looking great.

Any people from the UK have any knowledge on physical stores stocking amiibo still?

Only know of Toys R Us around me and they just cut their amiibo display in half in favour of Skylanders and haven't had a restock in over a month (just lots of AC copies). Even then the actual stock they offer, going by the website, is getting to be significantly outdated. Even online Amazon is mostly overpriced options, GAME the same.

How are UK folks finding their amiibo, especially offline (there's still something to be said about the checking of stores imo)?

Local Best Buy had four MM Link amiibos when I came in as soon as it opened but since I had already gotten one on day one I didn't think too much about it.

When I can back after getting what I needed they were all gone. Wow.
I found out where all the Chibi-Robo amiibo went to die... Goodwill.

2GNezA4.jpg

EJBIz4m.jpg
Aw...I kinda want to take one and give it a good home now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well I don't know what I'm getting myself into but I know I won't be able to go crazy and buy every amiibo. With that said was browsing Best Buy after preordering a SNES classic and one of my local stores had Splatoon 2 girl and boy amiibos in stock. Ordered the inkling boy for in store pick up. I'm pretty much going to focus my amiibo buying on games I really like and how useful the unlocks are. Like after finding out smash or TP Link unlocks Epona in BOTW I really want one lol.

The ๖ۜBronx;246524548 said:
Any people from the UK have any knowledge on physical stores stocking amiibo still?

Only know of Toys R Us around me and they just cut their amiibo display in half in favour of Skylanders and haven't had a restock in over a month (just lots of AC copies). Even then the actual stock they offer, going by the website, is getting to be significantly outdated. Even online Amazon is mostly overpriced options, GAME the same.

How are UK folks finding their amiibo, especially offline (there's still something to be said about the checking of stores imo)?

I still see the odd one or two in GAME (lol, £14.99), and Argos seem to always have a few in stock. I mainly get mine in Sainsbury's though when I'm doing the grocery shopping. Managed to find a Cloud P1 in there a week ago, and they had some of the new Splatoon ones when I was in last Sat. Best part, all of them are £9.99 :)

Been collecting for a couple of months now, not too actively but more as and when I stumble across one or see an opportunity where something's come back into stock. At the moment I'm not paying more for any of them, though we'll see how well that holds up lol. Originally it was just supposed to be Zelda ones.

Some pics of the modest collection so far:

Ones I want most at the moment are Toon Link, MM Link and Jr. Bowser.
Just ordered Toon Zelda and the new Splatoon 2 Girl amiibo from Nintendo UK.

I still see the odd one or two in GAME (lol, £14.99), and Argos seem to always have a few in stock. I mainly get mine in Sainsbury's though when I'm doing the grocery shopping. Managed to find a Cloud P1 in there a week ago, and they had some of the new Splatoon ones when I was in last Sat. Best part, all of them are £9.99 :)
Oh wow, the Sainsbury's near me don't have any. I'll have to see if any of the larger ones around me do. Would be worth a check for sure, thanks for the tip.

Has there been any news lately on a reprint of the Skyward, Twilight, and Majora Link Amiibo's? I was hoping these might escape store exclusive purgatory.

Chucker

So, not sure if this belongs here as I've been out of the Amiibo game for a while, but I just found out I need some car work done and well... these are the easiest to let go. I just don't know if they're worth the trouble to sell.
I'm willing to let go of (All loose).
Palutena, R.O.B. (NES), Rosalina, Sonic, Villager (1st Print), Greninja, Meta Knight, Dedede, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, Captain Falcon, Marth, WFT, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Robin, Dark Pit, Little Mac, ZSS, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Falco, Toad (SMB), Isabelle, Tom Nook, and Digby (AC).

Should I part them out? Should I attempt to sell as a lot? I'd rather not sell them, but adulting is full of tough decisions.

So, not sure if this belongs here as I've been out of the Amiibo game for a while, but I just found out I need some car work done and well... these are the easiest to let go. I just don't know if they're worth the trouble to sell.
I'm willing to let go of (All loose).
Palutena, R.O.B. (NES), Rosalina, Sonic, Villager (1st Print), Greninja, Meta Knight, Dedede, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, Captain Falcon, Marth, WFT, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Robin, Dark Pit, Little Mac, ZSS, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Falco, Toad (SMB), Isabelle, Tom Nook, and Digby (AC).

Should I part them out? Should I attempt to sell as a lot? I'd rather not sell them, but adulting is full of tough decisions.

I'd be willing to buy Marth (Smash Bros?) and Rosalina (Smash?) off of you.

Amazon had Fem Corrin back up today for restock on September 7th

They ran out right as I placed order so it didn't process

Fuck this

That sucks. Do you use Amazon's own notifications or a third party site? Curious as to whether Amazon notifications work well since there's plenty 'in stock' but they're all twice the price and sold by third-parties. Do the notifications just affect Amazon's own stock?

The ๖ۜBronx;247473377 said:
That sucks. Do you use Amazon's own notifications or a third party site? Curious as to whether Amazon notifications work well since there's plenty 'in stock' but they're all twice the price and sold by third-parties. Do the notifications just affect Amazon's own stock?

I honestly don't know, I just checked the Amazon page for Corrin P2 randomly yesterday and it was in stock. It randomly went back up a few hours later for $12.99 but wouldn't let me add to cart, or even 1 click order it.

What also sucks is that Amazon.jp has her in stock for around $18 at most to import, but every single buying option won't ship to the US for some reason

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shovel Knight gets a whopping 4 amiibo, yet Sonic still only has one, among with Mega Man (well 2 if you count the recolor) & Ryu.

Come on, Nintendo, get Capcom, Sega, & more companies on board again. You got Capcom to make 6 MH ones yet won't bring them to the US.

Edit: now that I hear about Shovel Knight being confirmed for Travis Strikes Again, maybe that game could have amiibo support for those amiibo? Hell, gimme a Travis Touchdown amiibo.

Shovel Knight gets a whopping 4 amiibo, yet Sonic still only has one, among with Mega Man (well 2 if you count the recolor) & Ryu.

Come on, Nintendo, get Capcom, Sega, & more companies on board again. You got Capcom to make 6 MH ones yet won't bring them to the US.

I'm not sure what you want Nintendo to do here? Shovel Knight has 4 amiibo because Yacht Club chose to make 4 amiibo, not Nintendo. They aren't Nintendo products, they're true 3rd party produced figures from Yacht Club. Same with the Monster Hunter figures and Gold Mega Man at Capcom. They went to Nintendo with plans for their own amiibo, not the other way around, and Nintendo just approved those plans, sold them the RFID chips, and licensed them to use the amiibo branding. They're not any different than your average, properly licensed 3rd party accessory (most analogous to 3rd party Apple accessories what with the need to buy special chips directly).

The Sonic, Smash Mega Man, and Ryu figures are 1st party Nintendo products. If Sega and Capcom want to make their own 3rd party figures, that's on them to decide to do that and then go to Nintendo with the plans.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm not sure what you want Nintendo to do here? Shovel Knight has 4 amiibo because Yacht Club chose to make 4 amiibo. Those aren't Nintendo products, they're fully 3rd party figures produced by Yacht Club. Same with the Monster Hunter figures and Gold Mega Man. Nintendo just sells them the RFID chips and licenses them to use the amiibo branding.

The Sonic, Smash Mega Man, and Ryu figures are 1st party Nintendo products. If Sega and Capcom want to make their own 3rd party figures, that's on them to decide to do.

I'd like an & Knuckles amiibo

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sega could easily sell a Tails, Knuckles, & Eggman amiibo. Heck, could've had it coincide with Sonic Forces or something.

I guess I'm just bummed that Nintendo more introduced the idea of 3rd party amiibo thanks to Smash, but the other companies haven't made more to go with the characters that got them. Like Capcom could've done a Street Fighter line....but then again, I guess they'd need games to promote them with.

It doesn't help for the most part, the 3rd party amiibo don't have much unique unlocks aside from Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario Maker (easily the best use of Pac-Man, Mega Man, & Sonic), but I also understand Nintendo would have to go to them each time to get their permission.

I probably should've worded by complaint better, reading it back.

Tyeforce

I'm also bummed that there hasn't been a Sonic amiibo line yet. It's not like they'd have any trouble selling at all. Just give us amiibo for Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow at the very least. C'mon, SEGA!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Imagine if, considering we now have DLC pre-order outfits for Sonic Forces, Sega made a line & scanning either certain Nintendo amiibo (i.e. scan Mario for his hat) or the Sega line for extra bonuses. Like, get Eggman & you can unlock an outfit similar to his Genesis era Dr. Robotnik clothing. Hell, Sega could easily cheat & be all "here's Classic Sonic & Modern Sonic!"

....I also patiently wait for another 8-bit amiibo.

zulux21

Edit: now that I hear about Shovel Knight being confirmed for Travis Strikes Again, maybe that game could have amiibo support for those amiibo? Hell, gimme a Travis Touchdown amiibo.

in capcom's defense shovel knight is still an active series, while megaman is purely a legacy series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was thinking more that Capcom could do a Street Fighter line with Ken, Chun-Li, Blanka, etc. but yeah, I don't know how well a Mega Man line would do aside from Protoman, Dr. Light, Roll, maybe Rush, & Dr. Wily. I can't see them doing every robot master from a game. Plus as mentioned, that would also mean that Capcom made games that supported said amiibo.

If anything, I'm more surprised there's not more Pokemon ones since that seems like a sure seller, but I'm sure that's due to the Pokemon Company being rather strict with how Pokemon are used outside of the main games (i.e. no sound effects for the costumes until they did the 20th anniversary sprites for Charmander, Bulbasaur, & Squirtle, but they weren't amiibo unlocks) & probably don't want to risk another Animal Crossing amiibo situation.

zulux21

I was thinking more that Capcom could do a Street Fighter line with Ken, Chun-Li, Blanka, etc. but yeah, I don't know how well a Mega Man line would do aside from Protoman, Dr. Light, Roll, maybe Rush, & Dr. Wily. I can't see them doing every robot master from a game. Plus as mentioned, that would also mean that Capcom made games that supported said amiibo.

If anything, I'm more surprised there's not more Pokemon ones since that seems like a sure seller, but I'm sure that's due to the Pokemon Company being rather strict with how Pokemon are used outside of the main games (i.e. no sound effects for the costumes until they did the 20th anniversary sprites for Charmander, Bulbasaur, & Squirtle, but they weren't amiibo unlocks) & probably don't want to risk another Animal Crossing amiibo situation.
I'd buy a roll amiibo, and that would likely be about it from a megaman line.

now megaman x I would get both x and zero.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd buy a roll amiibo, and that would likely be about it from a megaman line.

now megaman x I would get both x and zero.

You and I both know they'd give us a Mega Man amiibo of a new, shittily designed Mega Man instead of Classic Mega Man, Proto Man, Rush, Roll, Bass or even X or Zero.

Top Bottom