• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Breaking News: Lakers fire front office, Magic Johnson to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the last straw for Mitch and Jim was the Cousins trade. Jeanie Buss believed Cousins would fit well on the Lakers and when Mitch refused to add Ingram to the potential trade, the Kings balked.

Mitch was good talent wise but he was horrible with free agents. Still, I think Jeanie and Magic are about to fuck up the Lakers rebuild hardcore.

I'm calling BS on this. Jeanie is the owner and president. If this was the case she could have gone over Jim and Mitch's heads and made the deal herself. For big transactions like that, it's often owners who make the call anyway.

Brinbe

Does this mean no more hot takes from Magic's twitter?

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/441790369895022592

http://sportspickle.com/nba/10-dumb...w-lakers-president-basketball-operations.html

So good

WXkOtmj.png

Meh, most GMs make that trade. You had a small championship window team, and Steve Nash to that point had been relatively healthy. Same with the Dwight trade. Everybody thought those were great deals, it's only in hindsight that they are awful.

It's a curse, man.

Mailman got injured for the first time in his 18 years+ career.

Nash gets hurt.

Dwight gets hurt.

:(((((

Sandfox

I'm high on Ingram, though. Kid will be special in two years (max). I don't think Boogie takes us to the promised land, especially with Randle and Clarkson also involved.
That would be too much to give up for Cousins. Mitch and Jim essentially chose not hurting the team over their jobs.

Meh, most GMs make that trade. You had a small championship window team, and Steve Nash to that point had been relatively healthy. Same with the Dwight trade. Everybody thought those were great deals, it's only in hindsight that they are awful.

dwight was a great trade. kobe just messed that up, pretty much manned up to dwight(called him baby) and he fled to houston.

OozingZen

Neo Member
I'm calling BS on this. Jeanie is the owner and president. If this was the case she could have gone over Jim and Mitch's heads and made the deal herself. For big transactions like that, it's often owners who make the call anyway.

Yeah but she's probably not too happy watching Cousins go to New Orleans for chump change. I only think Jim and Mitch were doing that to save their jobs. Mitch made the right call, losing Ingram plus Clarkson/Randle/picks was way too much for a one year rental. Even if it's Boogie Cousins.

Fjordson

Will reserve judgement depending on who Magic and JEanie bring in as GM. That's the key. I've heard some promising names thrown out there from a purely speculation standpoint that Jeanie might be interested in (Sam Hinkie, one of Danny's assistants in Boston). I just want someone progressive who understands modern NBA basketball and the CBA. If Magic hires Robert Horry or James Worthy, then we are fucked. Hopefully he's being brought in as more of a figurehead than anything. My dream scenario would be to just promote Jerry West's kid and bring in Jerry as a consultant to help bring him along.

As for Mitch, I kind of feel bad to see him go out like this. He's been around for so long, and for the most part, he was a good soldier during a lot of ups and downs with the Lakers. The Deng and Mozgov signings somehow being worse than anybody could have ever imagined probably did him in, along with the need to remove anything associated with the stench of Jimmy Buss.

Don't fuck this up, Earvin and Jeanie.
Sounds like Kobe's longtime agent may be in the running for GM.

Yeah but she's probably not too happy watching Cousins go to New Orleans for chump change. I only think Jim and Mitch were doing that to save their jobs. Mitch made the right call, losing Ingram plus Clarkson/Randle/picks was way too much for a one year rental. Even if it's Boogie Cousins.

Word is Boogie was bolting for LA in FA anyway, though... At least from what I heard that his "camp" or agent relayed.

jmizzal

Jim Buss gone, makes is good regardless of what you think of Magic as PoBO

kupchak on the other hand I thought he would stay if Buss was out

I mean, you can't really reason with the crazies in Sacramento. If they coveted Buddy that much it's best just to stay away and not get involved in a bidding war. Again though, if Jeanie felt that strongly about it she could have called Vivek herself and made the deal for Ingram. I'm not sure I buy that. Perhaps there was some internal strife over a potential Cousins deal, but Jim and Mitch were not fired for not trading Ingram for Boogie.

norm9

i guess you guys forgot GP.

Payton was great. Not his fault he had to carry the injured hall of fame team to the playoffs. He didnt ask to be the main guy for a portion of the season. People forget that hall of fame team went like 16 and 1 before everyone started getting injured.

Lkr

Nash was a great plan b after basketball reasons. Nobody could have predicted him breaking down in the first few games.

Every armchair quarterback could have predicted Nash was not gonna work though. But fuck those guys.

fuck i don't need reminders about basketball reasons. if basketball reasons never happens, Mitch truly would have cemented himself as GOAT GM. no one would come remotely close to that level of voodoo

Will reserve judgement depending on who Magic and JEanie bring in as GM. That's the key. I've heard some promising names thrown out there from a purely speculation standpoint that Jeanie might be interested in (Sam Hinkie, one of Danny's assistants in Boston). I just want someone progressive who understands modern NBA basketball and the CBA. If Magic hires Robert Horry or James Worthy, then we are fucked. Hopefully he's being brought in as more of a figurehead than anything. My dream scenario would be to just promote Jerry West's kid and bring in Jerry as a consultant to help bring him along.

As for Mitch, I kind of feel bad to see him go out like this. He's been around for so long, and for the most part, he was a good soldier during a lot of ups and downs with the Lakers. The Deng and Mozgov signings somehow being worse than anybody could have ever imagined probably did him in, along with the need to remove anything associated with the stench of Jimmy Buss.

Don't fuck this up, Earvin and Jeanie.

If that Bleacher Report article was true, concerning Bynum and Sacre...I was legit angry reading that shit.

16797900_1691002010918634_3507309751416679924_o.jpg

I'd trust Kobe as a talent evaluator.

I wouldn't.

Kobe would be the opposite of what you want in a GM. Think of the Spurs. Yes, you can be hard on players, but if you take a "my way or the highway" approach, you're just wasting talent in an effort to be tough or some bullshit.

This isn't about living in some ideal world, this is about maximizing assets, scraping together every possible win, trying to make sure every player on your team is the best they can possibly be. If one player needs to be talked down to, then your team should do that. If they need to be encouraged, same thing.

Besides, in a modern NBA, where the 3, efficient shots, and ball movement are ideal, Kobe isn't exactly who you want XD

I don't think Kobe would even want to work in a front office in any capacity. He wants to produce movies and shit. Though it sounds like Magic is already trying to bring him in to work with young players. Hopefully he doesn't Kwame them.

OozingZen

Neo Member
I mean, you can't really reason with the crazies in Sacramento. If they coveted Buddy that much it's best just to stay away and not get involved in a bidding war. Again though, if Jeanie felt that strongly about it she could have called Vivek herself and made the deal for Ingram. I'm not sure I buy that. Perhaps there was some internal strife over a potential Cousins deal, but Jim and Mitch were not fired for not trading Ingram for Boogie.

Oh absolutely. Jim was gone either way. He said it himself that he would resign if they couldn't make it to the playoffs this season. Mitch was just collateral damage. It sucks, but business is business. I only hope for Lakers fans that Jeanie and Magic don't fuck this up.

If you want an all-sociopath team, Kobe's your guy. If you aren't willing to play with two broken legs and eight broken fingers, you're not worthy of starting.

Lkr

I don't think Kobe would even want to work in a front office in any capacity. He wants to produce movies and shit. Though it sounds like Magic is already trying to bring him in to work with young players. Hopefully he doesn't Kwame them.

didn't Luke Walton have to tell Kobe to stay the fuck away a month or two ago because he didn't want Kobe ruining all of the young players? seriously we don't need ingram or russell dealing with that kind of shit

Potential tweets

"I plan on putting together a team that can dribble, pass, shoot, and defend."

"The collection of players known as a team will play the sport called basketball in the city of Los Angeles. This collection of players will be called the Lakers and they will try to win basketball games."

Lmao.

didn't Luke Walton have to tell Kobe to stay the fuck away a month or two ago because he didn't want Kobe ruining all of the young players? seriously we don't need ingram or russell dealing with that kind of shit

Nah he said that during the losing streak. He said he didn't think they were at the maturity level to be receptive to tough love like he knows Kobe would dish.

Payton was great. Not his fault he had to carry the injured hall of fame team to the playoffs. He didnt ask to be the main guy for a portion of the season. People forget that hall of fame team went like 16 and 1.
yes, he did.
did you read Last Season? he didn't mesh with the triangle and wanted the ball more. he wanted to go after people cause he couldn't play defense anymore like in seattle.

but after that season which kupchak was under should've learned not to go for aging vets.

Apparently the last straw for Mitch and Jim was the Cousins trade. Jeanie Buss believed Cousins would fit well on the Lakers and when Mitch refused to add Ingram to the potential trade, the Kings balked.

Mitch was good talent wise but he was horrible with free agents. Still, I think Jeanie and Magic are about to fuck up the Lakers rebuild hardcore.

Man, where the hell are the Lakers going with Boogie, Clarkson, and an expiring Lou and Swaggy? The salary holds that Mozgov and Deng put on the Lakers aren't that bad precisely because the Lakers should continue to focus on developing young players and NOT idiotically going after FAs they overpay for.

It's possible to become relevant again too quickly. Look at the Pelicans before this Boogie trade as an example.

It's a curse, man.

Mailman got injured for the first time in his 18 years+ career.

Nash gets hurt.

Dwight gets hurt.

:(((((

Oh mannnn, Lakers fans.... smh

Lkr

Real shame he ran his best teammate out of town

Kobe ran Pau out of town? I didn't realize that was the case...

I don't know why anyone cares about Mozgov/Deng salaries. It is a result of the stupidity of raising the cap and everyone having to respond by signing players to oversized contracts. its a shame kobe didn't get his insane salaries during a salary cap raise

Potential tweets

"I plan on putting together a team that can dribble, pass, shoot, and defend."

"The collection of players known as a team will play the sport called basketball in the city of Los Angeles. This collection of players will be called the Lakers and they will try to win basketball games."

Lmao.

Nah he said that during the losing streak. He said he didn't think they were at the maturity level to be receptive to tough love like he knows Kobe would dish.

Not enough random Showtime references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom