• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox-One was a shadow of the 360 glories!

SenkiDala

Because third party + interesting exclusives > third party + no exclusives.

Well basically yeah, this sentence means everything.

I think the X will pretty much bomb. Of course here we see plenty of people buying it because... We're on a VG board... But the mass won't care at all for the X. MS is doing great efforts to push the XOS during sales, in France I see many deals at 179€ the XOS AC Origins pack, or 189€ if you add GTAV, etc, great deals.
But I see great deals also on the PS4/Pro, 399€ for the White Pro Destiny 2 pack, 199€ for a Slim, etc etc.

Most of people will prefer to add a few € to get the console that has more games... Uncharted, GT Sports, Horizon, Spider-Man, inFamous, The Last of Us, God of War, Crash Bandicoot, and so on, those are appealing exclusives to the mass. On XO there's what? Gears, Halo, Forza... People know that if they get the XOS they have a "weak" console in terms of power, if they want the X they think it's too expensive... And has less games... If you want a very powerful console there's the PS4 Pro, it's cheaper, packed with games... :/

So that's it, Sony won the gen and will keep winning. And as it seems that MS wants to end the fight of exclusives, it won't get any "better" soon (in terms of exclusives) for MS.

I think MS knows that and they're going to a different way: the XO S is an cheap entry point to the Xbox/MS Gaming universe, they sell the console at 179€ packed in with brand new popular games (Shadow of War or AC Origins), if you're a console gamer that dislike PC gaming but want a powerful console there's the X, and if you're a gamer with a "no limit budget" then you go on PC (but not necessarly on W10, Steam and GOG behing wayyyy more popular than W10, that's the reason why MS keeps doing Xboxes).

So that's a different "philosophy", if you just care about the games then you go for Sony since yeah they just have more games, it's a fact. If you want a cheap budget console and don't care at all you go with a XO S. If you want a "premium" experience you go with the X or PC, if you don't care too much about exclusives.
(I'm not talking about very hardcore gamers who goes with everything anyway)

And about this subject of "but nobody cares exclusives", that's just not true. As a gamer I really care, and I know more casual gamers who care too. I play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Tales of games, Crash Bandicoot, GTS, FFXII Zodiac, Horizon, Until Dawn, Quantic games, and so on. And on my XOS it's the same I've got the whole Halo series, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Gears 4, and I'm pretty sad that outside Crackdown 3 nothing is appealing to me.
Even casual gamers care, it's a psychological thing, if you know that a console as more games, even if you're gonna play 97% of mutliplat games, you're gonna pick the console who has more exclusives... Like a casual "TV user" will pick the TV with the most HDMI ports in the same range of price, because "just in case", it's same for the PS4, "in case there's exclusives I want on PS4 I'll take this one". :/ Exclusives matter, it also gives a "personality" and an "aura" to a gaming system.
PS is Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Crash, JRPGs, Atlus games, From Software games, Last of Us, Wipeout, God of War, inFamous, it's the "core" of the PS "spirit".
MS is Halo, Gears, Forza, Rare... It's their core and spirit too... What would be MS consoles without those games? So the "exclusives don't matter" talkings are just non sense to me.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well basically yeah, this sentence means everything.

I think the X will pretty much bomb. Of course here we see plenty of people buying it because... We're on a VG board... But the mass won't care at all for the X. MS is doing great efforts to push the XOS during sales, in France I see many deals at 179€ the XOS AC Origins pack, or 189€ if you add GTAV, etc, great deals.
But I see great deals also on the PS4/Pro, 399€ for the White Pro Destiny 2 pack, 199€ for a Slim, etc etc.

Most of people will prefer to add a few € to get the console that has more games... Uncharted, GT Sports, Horizon, Spider-Man, inFamous, The Last of Us, God of War, Crash Bandicoot, and so on, those are appealing exclusives to the mass. On XO there's what? Gears, Halo, Forza... People know that if they get the XOS they have a "weak" console in terms of power, if they want the X they think it's too expensive... And has less games... If you want a very powerful console there's the PS4 Pro, it's cheaper, packed with games... :/

So that's it, Sony won the gen and will keep winning. And as it seems that MS wants to end the fight of exclusives, it won't get any "better" soon (in terms of exclusives) for MS.

I think MS knows that and they're going to a different way: the XO S is an cheap entry point to the Xbox/MS Gaming universe, they sell the console at 179€ packed in with brand new popular games (Shadow of War or AC Origins), if you're a console gamer that dislike PC gaming but want a powerful console there's the X, and if you're a gamer with a "no limit budget" then you go on PC (but not necessarly on W10, Steam and GOG behing wayyyy more popular than W10, that's the reason why MS keeps doing Xboxes).

So that's a different "philosophy", if you just care about the games then you go for Sony since yeah they just have more games, it's a fact. If you want a cheap budget console and don't care at all you go with a XO S. If you want a "premium" experience you go with the X or PC, if you don't care too much about exclusives.
(I'm not talking about very hardcore gamers who goes with everything anyway)

And about this subject of "but nobody cares exclusives", that's just not true. As a gamer I really care, and I know more casual gamers who care too. I play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Tales of games, Crash Bandicoot, GTS, FFXII Zodiac, Horizon, Until Dawn, Quantic games, and so on. And on my XOS it's the same I've got the whole Halo series, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Gears 4, and I'm pretty sad that outside Crackdown 3 nothing is appealing to me.
Even casual gamers care, it's a psychological thing, if you know that a console as more games, even if you're gonna play 97% of mutliplat games, you're gonna pick the console who has more exclusives... Like a casual "TV user" will pick the TV with the most HDMI ports in the same range of price, because "just in case", it's same for the PS4, "in case there's exclusives I want on PS4 I'll take this one". :/ Exclusives matter, it also gives a "personality" and an "aura" to a gaming system.
PS is Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Crash, JRPGs, Atlus games, From Software games, Last of Us, Wipeout, God of War, inFamous, it's the "core" of the PS "spirit".
MS is Halo, Gears, Forza, Rare... It's their core and spirit too... What would be MS consoles without those games? So the "exclusives don't matter" talkings are just non sense to me.

While sony has a great exclusives line up it not completely infallible.
In 2018 sonys big ones are god of war,days gone,spiderman,detroit and maybe dreams.

While MS has sea of thieves, a playground games game and crack down 3 and there maybe some other surprises to.

So while sonys 2018 line up is indeed stronger it does not completely anhilate MS 2018 line up. Its interesting how sonys are all single player focused and Microsofts are multiplayer.

Kyry

While sony has a great exclusives line up it not completely infallible.
In 2018 sonys big ones are god of war,days gone,spiderman,detroit and maybe dreams.

While MS has sea of thieves, a playground games game and crack down 3 and there maybe some other surprises to.

So while sonys 2018 line up is indeed stronger it does not completely anhilate MS 2018 line up. Its interesting how sonys are all single player focused and Microsofts are multiplayer.

I don't think its that simple unless you look at a console only picture. If you broaden your point of view, you'll see that all Microsoft's exclusives are on PC.

I know that some say Microsoft doesn't care where you buy their games, but thats hardly true. They would much rather you game on Xbox. If you do, they get subscription charges, accessories purchases, and a licensing fees even when you buy games they didnt create. When you game on PC they make none of this money.

Microsoft seems to be focusing on being more service driven to Sony's product driven. But by playing on PC, you bypass the need or even option for the majority of Microsoft services. I'm always surprised when I see statistics like only X% pay for Xbox live gold, so maybe im missing a large pool of income that non gold users are good for(more single player content maybe)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I don't think its that simple unless you look at a console only picture. If you broaden your point of view, you'll see that all Microsoft's exclusives are on PC.

I know that some say Microsoft doesn't care where you buy their games, but thats hardly true. They would much rather you game on Xbox. If you do, they get subscription charges, accessories purchases, and a licensing fees even when you buy games they didnt create. When you game on PC they make none of this money.

Microsoft seems to be focusing on being more service driven to Sony's product driven. But by playing on PC, you bypass the need or even option for the majority of Microsoft services. I'm always surprised when I see statistics like only X% pay for Xbox live gold, so maybe im missing a large pool of income that non gold users are good for(more single player content maybe)

So your saying MS exclusives should not come to PC?

MilkyJoe

So the Xbox-1-x maybe all the rage at the moment, and it's certainly got the power under the hood, but apart from flashy bells and whistles, there's got to be MORE to it than that....where's the exclusives....the killer app...(outside of forza) .....

But Forza /Forza Horizon is the killer app for many.

Is this "stop liking things I don't like" the thread?

Because third party + interesting exclusives > third party + no exclusives.

The X is awesome if you're going console only. But at $500? Nah.

No games ≠ games you don't personally like. - If this were the case PS4 and Nintendo would have no games.

Also, anyone else wondering what year it is when people consider $500 to be bank breaking money?

Kyry

So your saying MS exclusives should not come to PC?

I think its great if they can make it make sense. Since they have started, it seems to have done great harm to the Xbox brand. Trading an Xbox gamer who buys Microsoft games for a PC gamer who buys Microsoft games seems to be a net loss due to the reasons I defined above, mainly that they will make much less off of the PC gamer. I don't see a way around that other than making more services and games available on the PC, (XBL will likely never be successful there, but perhaps gamepass has a shot) or attracting so many more users on the PC side that the fact that you make less per user doesn't matter. That flies in the face of the MAU they have been preaching as of late.

MilkyJoe

I think its great if they can make it make sense. Since they have started, it seems to have done great harm to the Xbox brand. Trading an Xbox gamer who buys Microsoft games for a PC gamer who buys Microsoft games seems to be a net loss due to the reasons I defined above, mainly that they will make much less off of the PC gamer. I don't see a way around that other than making more services and games available on the PC, (XBL will likely never be successful there, but perhaps gamepass has a shot) or attracting so many more users on the PC side that the fact that you make less per user doesn't matter. That flies in the face of the MAU they have been preaching as of late.

Do you think there is the slightest chance that, considering that A) they are supporting their other platform and B) they consider that the average PC gamer might not buy an xbox just to play a certain exclusive?

Kyry

Do you think there is the slightest chance that, considering that A) they are supporting their other platform and B) they consider that the average PC gamer might not buy an xbox just to play a certain exclusive?

I think that there is always a slight chance anything may occur in the market. In general, I think that PC gamers are unlikely to buy an Xbox just to play a single game, but I also think that you up your chances the more exclusives Xbox has. In the past, exclusives were why I would buy an Xbox or any other platform. I think Microsoft is taking a misstep to push power over content.

But if we assume I'm wrong, and power is indeed the way to go, It still seems like an advertisement to play on PC. Where they'll make less money per user.

MilkyJoe

I think that there is always a slight chance anything may occur in the market. In general, I think that PC gamers are unlikely to buy an Xbox just to play a single game, but I also think that you up your chances the more exclusives Xbox has. In the past, exclusives were why I would buy an Xbox or any other platform. I think Microsoft is taking a misstep to push power over content.

But if we assume I'm wrong, and power is indeed the way to go, It still seems like an advertisement to play on PC. Where they'll make less money per user.

Exclusives has always been bottom rung. When PS4 came out did people buy it for the exclusives? They had no idea what was coming. Exclusives are such a tiny percentage of total games available that they don't even factor into my console buying decision. The last "killer app" that even had me buy a system was Goldeneye 64.

..Actually Wii Sports too. But does that count when i never bought another Wii game?

Kyry

Exclusives has always been bottom rung. When PS4 came out did people buy it for the exclusives? They had no idea what was coming. Exclusives are such a tiny percentage of total games available that they don't even factor into my console buying decision. The last "killer app" that even had me buy a system was Goldeneye 64.

..Actually Wii Sports too. But does that count when i never bought another Wii game?

I would argue that PS3 exclusives history did much to propel PS4 in its youth. Games that came out that very year like The Last Of Us, God of War, and Ni No Kuni factored into my PS4 purchase despite the fact that we still haven seen PS4 versions.

Exclusives are what give the brand an identity. No one cares that the latest version of Madden is available. They expect it to be there no matter the platform.

No games ≠ games you don't personally like. - If this were the case PS4 and Nintendo would have no games.

Also, anyone else wondering what year it is when people consider $500 to be bank breaking money?
$500 for a console is dumb especially as PCs become more affordable.

Alebrije

Yep, Xbone was a mistake not just the console but the whole team around it

3W1fapD.gif

Rellik

Watch out. We have a rich guy here.

"I wipe my ass with $500 brah"

Alebrije

Exclusives are what keep Nintendo alive, and are important for PS4. Yep they are a tiny percentage of total games but they matter a lot more than the rest of games, it's not about quantity but weigh and relevance for a console ecosystem. Just imagine XboneX with Horizont, Bloodborne, Nioh, Uncharted, TLOU .....

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Agreed. Xbox 360 felt like THE console to own last gen. It was amazing. Xbox One just feels like an afterthought. I play my PS4 and Switch much more often.

Alebrije

Agreed. Xbox 360 felt like THE console to own last gen. It was amazing. Xbox One just feels like an afterthought. I play my PS4 and Switch much more often.

It's crazy to see after Sony's mistake from PS2 to PS3 , it just took the next generation to Microsoft to do the same.

dcx4610

It's really just marketing, momentum and public perception.

If you put the original One and PS4 next to each other and actually play the games, they are virtually identical. The PS4 is more powerful than the XB1 but so was the PS3 over the 360 and that didn't matter.

Microsoft just made the 360 the cool place to play and basically messed up the least. Meanwhile Sony was lost and didn't have a vision until the very end.

I think Microsoft would have carried over the good will from the 360 if not for the original DRM plans. That got so much (deserving) negative press for them, they pretty much handed over the generation to Sony. Hardware and game wise though, it's really not that different. Gaming as a whole just seemingly decided that PS4 is the winner this generation.

AlanAwake

I'm always surprised when I see statistics like only X% pay for Xbox live gold, so maybe im missing a large pool of income that non gold users are good for(more single player content maybe)

Microsoft gets a nice cut from every Xbox game sold. Together with XBL Gold, it's their biggest source of revenue.

So it's definitely not true that Microsoft is OK with people gaming on pc instead of Xbox. They don't get a single cent from games sold on Steam, Origin, GoG etc. Pc-gamers not using the Windows Store (and that's most of them I guess) probably don't use any of Microsofts gaming services on pc.

Kyry

Microsoft gets a nice cut from every Xbox game sold. Together with XBL Gold, it's their biggest source of revenue.

So it's definitely not true that Microsoft is OK with people gaming on pc instead of Xbox. They don't get a single cent from games sold on Steam, Origin, GoG etc. Pc-gamers not using the Windows Store (and that's most of them I guess) probably don't use any of Microsofts gaming services on pc.

Which is why I find it odd that people make the statement that Microsoft doesn't care where you buy games. There is a lot at stake for them.

Arefu

Neo Member
Right now the only reason I have an Xbox One X is for Ninja Gaiden Black at 4K.

With PC having the superior versions of all the Microsoft games, and PS4 having exclusives, Xbox One has become extremely useless.

I can never recommend someone to buy an Xbox One/Xbox One X in good faith unless they absolutely refuse to get a PC.

Last-gen, I had 360 and PS3, and PS3 was pretty much used only for exclusives. Install base and people playing were just higher overall on 360. It was the "place to be" so to speak, but now it feels like a shell of its former self.

MilkyJoe

Exclusives are what keep Nintendo alive, and are important for PS4. Yep they are a tiny percentage of total games but they matter a lot more than the rest of games, it's not about quantity but weigh and relevance for a console ecosystem. Just imagine XboneX with Horizont, Bloodborne, Nioh, Uncharted, TLOU .....

I'd have a PS4 if I wanted to play them

AlanAwake

Which is why I find it odd that people make the statement that Microsoft doesn't care where you buy games. There is a lot at stake for them.

I find that odd as well. I guess those people are overestimating the success of the Windows Store on pc.

It makes me wonder why Microsoft made that decision in the first place. They must have thought that 3rd party devs would flock to the Windows Store, because of the easier uwp development for both Xbox and Windows 10. This would give the Xbone a lot of console exclusives from pc devs as well. Play Anywhere was meant to give the uwp version of multiplatform games an advantage over the Steam version.

Since none of this worked out as they hoped, I'm curious what their future plans are. The best thing Microsoft can hope for, is to build an Origin-like storefront where pc gamers are at least willing to buy their 1st party games.

It's been a weird gen, one that I still kinda feel like it hasn't really got going yet even though we are closer to the end than the start.

Compared to the 360 days -

Only one Halo game so far, still no proper next gen GTA. Only one (average) Mass Effect game, no Streetfighter due to Sony (although KI turned out amazing). No Bioshock's, still waiting for Crackdown. No Platinum games! :(

I have enjoyed the X1 though.

Titanfall 2
Forza Horizon 2 & 3
Killer Instinct
DOOM
Rocket League
Ori
Sunset Overdrive

Exclusive or not, all great games. I just dont feel like the quantity has been there this Gen, but then I suppose that's the consequence of the cost of making games these days.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ever notice how Microsoft always starts with the left foot, but by the end they completely turn it around?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I truly don't get the "I don't need an XBox because I have a PC" argument. Uhhh if you have a Windows PC, you invested in Microsoft gaming. You spent lots of cash on a high end, third party hardware version of...an XBox.

To MS, you are still playing Microsoft exclusives, exclusively on their system. Why do people insist these aren't true exclusives? Would you prefer MS not give their high-end XBox (PC) users these games also?

If you have a PS4 and a PC, you have both consoles. You just paid a hell of a lot more for your 'Box....

I got a high end pc and a One X. I play pc exclusives on pc and everything else on the X. I mostly play online and they just die so fast on pc.

I own all the platforms yet I use my X 80% of the time and my pc around 20%

OldBoyGamer

Banned
This thread is just pathetic because all of your consoles and PC's are piles of ransid dog shit compared to my Amiga A500 with a 1/2 MB memory expansion.

Z..

If you have a PS4 and a PC, you have both consoles. You just paid a hell of a lot more for your 'Box....
Fucked up reasoning aside, I'm not that sure that is actually true. I'd wager XBone owners have ended up spending more in the end on their 'box + whatever laptop/desktop they have than the average PC gamer spent on his rig. Unless you want to try and convince me that most of them don't have a computer, which we both know is untrue, I'd say the average box owner spends more. And that's without even considering the live gold costs and more expensive games.

MilkyJoe

Fucked up reasoning aside, I'm not that sure that is actually true. I'd wager XBone owners have ended up spending more in the end on their 'box + whatever laptop/desktop they have than the average PC gamer spent on his rig. Unless you want to try and convince me that most of them don't have a computer, which we both know is untrue, I'd say the average box owner spends more. And that's without even considering the live gold costs and more expensive games.

You think in the age of smartphones that a home computer is a necessity? I have a laptop, it's 6 years old and hasn't been used in at least 2.
What a strange claim.

Z..

You think in the age of smartphones that a home computer is a necessity? I have a laptop, it's 6 years old and hasn't been used in at least 2.
What a strange claim.
I don't know a single person around me that doesn't own a laptop or desktop. Smartphone or no, most still have access and need for a workstation computer. The claim isn't immediately strange just because it doesn't apply to you personally. I don't have a dog in the console race, btw.

MilkyJoe

I don't know a single person around me that doesn't own a laptop or desktop. Smartphone or no, most still have access and need for a workstation computer. The claim isn't immediately strange just because it doesn't apply to you personally. I don't have a dog in the console race, btw.

Then I'd counter that people I know no longer have home computers since phones and tablets give them all the Internet needs they require.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fuck yes. So glad to be past it. Out of all MS consoles, it is by far their weakest offering relative to contemporary competitors.

Freiya

I honestly don't know how any serious gamer can compare xb exclusives to ps4. I actually loved ryse and Quantum break but there hasn't been a single decent AAA exclusive since besides forza. Even halo 5 campaign was trash and rushed.

I had picked up an Xbox one x earlier but returned it to the store because I couldn't justify owning it. In my opinion, the Xbox one is the worst Xbox yet and none of that has to do with hardware. It truly has 3-5 good exclusives since it's release in 2013. It's truly embarrassing. Anyway, on black friday, I was able to snag a x1s in Canada for 225. I just couldn't pass up on a deal like that. I picked it up and halo 5, Forza horizon 3, and a few uhd blurays. The only game that I think im missing is sunset overdrive and I'd have played everything worth playing on the console. After that, it'll strictly be a Bluray player/backwards compatibility machine.

It's just truly sad how badly Microsoft has regressed. It shows what happens when you focus on profit first over the product/experience. It's the difference between Microsoft and Sony/Nintendo. The latter focus on how to create new experience for the users while Microsoft focuses on meeting an arbitrary checklist. FPS game, check, racing game, check, indie games, check, checklist complete. They're so risk averse and since 2010, they've forgotten that software drives hardware and not the other way around. They've forgotten how to innovate as a company. It's why they can't get a foothold in the mobile space, it's why they always struggle in the console space, it's why their poorly thought out products like zune failed. You think that one day, they'll learn but nope.

rmatheso

I honestly don't know how any serious gamer can compare xb exclusives to ps4. I actually loved ryse and Quantum break but there hasn't been a single decent AAA exclusive since besides forza. Even halo 5 campaign was trash and rushed.

Sony isn't immune to disappointing exclusive releases as well:

- Killzone: Shadowfall
- Knack
- Godzilla
- Infamous: Second Son
- The Order: 1886
- Street Fighter 5

I agree that this generation overall has been disappointing. Halo isn't what it once was. Microtransaction B.S. everywhere. Mass Effect fiasco. Fallout 4 not as good as Fallout 3 etc...

You know it was a breath of fresh air when I ran through Knights of the Old Republic again.. just had fun playing a good game.

IISANDERII

System wars get real. I love my Pro but if the PS5 has no competitor, it will have one of the worst user experiences in decades.

Kyry

Sony isn't immune to disappointing exclusive releases as well:

- Killzone: Shadowfall
- Knack
- Godzilla
- Infamous: Second Son
- The Order: 1886
- Street Fighter 5

I don't think that releasing disappointing games at times is all that comparable with releasing fewer games.

For this year, I would say almost half of Sony's first party games have been disappointing. The remaining half is still noticeably larger than what Microsoft put out in the same time period. So I feel the comparison is ill advised

highrider

Banned
It’s funny, it’s like Sony and Microsoft have success, then they get too big for their britches, then they take the consumer for granted, underperform, then right the ship as time goes on. It’s all cycles, still got love for Xbox.

Havoc2049

I got a high end pc and a One X. I play pc exclusives on pc and everything else on the X. I mostly play online and they just die so fast on pc.

I own all the platforms yet I use my X 80% of the time and my pc around 20%

I'm a PC and Xbox gamer as well. The Xbox community is full of us..lol.

My favorite Xbox console was actually the OG Xbox with all the awesome Microsoft Game Studios content, along with all the awesome exclusive Tecmo and Sega content.

Microsoft was way better with Bungie, FASA, Aces, Digital Anvil, Lionhead, Microsoft Game Studios Japan, Artoon, Mistwalker, Bizarre Creations and Ensemble in the fold.

Malcolm9

I'm a PC and Xbox gamer as well. The Xbox community is full of us..lol.

My favorite Xbox console was actually the OG Xbox with all the awesome Microsoft Game Studios content, along with all the awesome exclusive Tecmo and Sega content.

Microsoft was way better with Bungie, FASA, Aces, Digital Anvil, Lionhead, Microsoft Game Studios Japan, Artoon, Mistwalker, Bizarre Creations and Ensemble in the fold.

100%, I absolutely adored the original Xbox, even the Duke controller :).

It had such a varied line up of games and they had some really interesting IP's. For me now that MS have the released the X I would love for them to go back to how they were prior to the 360 getting so huge last gen in regards to bringing more variety and better quality through in their first party titles.

Top Bottom