• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Newer PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fady K said:
Mejilan, regarding RPGs, I bought Gurumin a while back and its quite interesting. Check it out, pretty cool and cute RPG. Really fun too.

I bought it to appease the Falcom whore in me. I think it's kinda shit, to tell the truth. I really hate the controls and camera, though that's more about the PSP than the game. Also, it's not an RPG. It's not even an ARPG (like Falcom's Ys series). It's more of an action/adventure/platformer.

Vyer said:
What size memory stick are you using?

4GBs or bust, baby!

typhonsentra said:
Please play through this game. It has it's issues but it's a pleasent enough title and ever since I beat it I've hated how there's no one to talk about it with as it sold so horribly.

Hell no. At least, not anytime soon. I tried the original for about 5 hours before giving up in disgust. These three games were also picked up to support Falcom releases in the West. (As was my double-dipping of Ys 6, first the janky PS2 version, then the horrendous PSP port.)

_Angelus_

Banned
ram said:
After Burner & Dungeon Siege, but no love for the excellent (but short) MACH? The tread fails... :S

screen5_large.jpg

screen1_large.jpg

screen3_large.jpg

Definitely a system seller for me. I was already sold on the upcoming Castlevania game but this I had no idea was even out. Then again I tend to close my eyes and ignore the PSP stuff,mainly because I have a hard enough time keeping up with PS3 and 360 releases.:lol

Oni Jazar

I've been playing a lot of Prince of Persia: Rival Swords and I really like it. Definitely recommend if you haven't played it on the big consoles. Great story, presentation, music, graphics, the works.

prince-of-persia-rival-swords-20070404090646016.jpg

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
mysticstylez said:
What are some great racing games that let you customize alot, or have a crapload of stuff to do?

(Don't want to risk a ban, so is hotlinking to ign ok? Or do they goatse you?)
EDIT: eh screw it, since everyone else on this thread is doing it :lol

Definitely Midnight Club 3, maybe the 3rd best racer next to Burnout & Ridge Racer IMHO:
midnight-club-3-dub-edition-psp-20050527054015586.jpg

There was also the Need for Speed games
Most Wanted which got mixed reviews (anyone have it to give a recommendation):
need-for-speed-most-wanted-5-1-0-20050928033234062.jpg

NFS Underground which from what I played was definitely not bad.
need-for-speed-underground-rivals-20050107013440661.jpg

I'm still surprised GAF's doesn't mention the 2D classics:
darkstalkers-chronicle-the-chaos-tower-20050204070200858.jpg

darkstalkers-chronicle-the-chaos-tower-20050204070130173.jpg

Street Fight Alpha not being the 1st recommendation in this thread is crazy!
:D

You do need to buy a $3 dpad mod for them though.

for those brainy, i really liked these:

Carol Vorderman's Sudoku - $19.99

548689126_84cd19c720_o.jpg

548689144_517abf572e_o.jpg

A much better experience than Go! Sudoku, and offers a variety of modes and extras:

o Classic: Where you can play regular Sudoku over any of four difficulties.
o Career: A ranking mode, where you can earn your "Sudoku Black Belt"
o Challenge Carol: Similar to Career Mode where you can see if you can beat Carol.
o Arcade: Beat the Clock, Extra Time, Perfection, 3 Strikes and You're Out!
o 2-Player: Free For All, Play and Pass 1, Play and Pass 2 .

o Over 30 minutes of video including an introduction to Sudoku, tutorials, and tips for all levels of players.
o Grid Assistance option that can help if you placed a number wrong.
o Puzzle Solver - A solver tool that can solve any Sudoku Puzzle.

Mind Quiz - $9.99 now?

548689160_ca32f9d1cb_o.jpg

548689176_1a2d097d63_o.jpg

548689190_9f5a946352_o.jpg

o Quick four button quizzes on genres of calculation, reflex, judgement, and memory.
o Daily quiz option to check your daily brain age.
o Exam mode, where you travel around the world taking quizzes.
o Unlockable quizzes along the way.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Mejilan said:
I bought it to appease the Falcom whore in me. I think it's kinda shit, to tell the truth. I really hate the controls and camera, though that's more about the PSP than the game. Also, it's not an RPG. It's not even an ARPG (like Falcom's Ys series). It's more of an action/adventure/platformer.

I'm actually playing through this now... I like it, aside from the awful, awful camera and the fact that your shadow gives out when jumping, making jumps hard to land (doesn't help that I have poor depth perception). But I've gotten used to the shite camera and have found quite a lot to like. Awesome music, decent (albeit very grainy) graphics, cool character designs, some cute dialogue, the whole "town rebuilding" element (a lot of my favorite ARPGs have something like this in it, I've noticed).

M3wThr33

Banned
I'd get Midnight Club 3 for the PSP, but the remix on the PS2 adds a lot more content, specifically some of my favorite vehicles.

i'm one of those still afraid to buy a PSP because of the inminent redesign, but in case I give in because of the price drop and the awesome screens in this thread, can someone explain to me the following:

1 - the whole homebrew compatibility thing. Does it need to have a specific firmware installed for you to downgrade it and install everything you need? 'cause that's what I understood from what I've read so far.
2 - If so, which firmware version is it? and how could I get a hold of a PSP that still has it?
3 - Does that mean that brand new PSP's are "un-homebrewable"?

[/PSP noob]

Kaiser Dämmerung said:
i'm one of those still afraid to buy a PSP because of the inminent redesign, but in case I give in because of the price drop and the awesome screens in this thread, can someone explain to me the following:

1 - the whole homebrew compatibility thing. Does it need to have a specific firmware installed for you to downgrade it and install everything you need? 'cause that's what I understood from what I've read so far.
2 - If so, which firmware version is it? and how could I get a hold of a PSP that still has it?
3 - Does that mean that brand new PSP's are "un-homebrewable"?

[/PSP noob]

As long as youre firmware 3.03 and below, youre downgradable (may require a real copy of GTA:LCS). If you're lookin at the barcodes on the boxes, youll notice letters like I, J, K, L, etc. If the box sez N on it, you're good. that's the one that has 3.03. Most boxes out now however are already letter P, which is 3.11. Best luck is to check unsold Best Buy stock, trade-ins at Gamestop, or trade-ins at Gamecrazy if all you're seeing are P's.

FTWer said:
That actually looks cool, how is it compared to the ds games?

it has none of that paragraph reading, or say "blue" stuff.

but with using only the four buttons as responses, its a lot more quick reflex.

the exam mode, has you takin quizzes for every country around the world. complete a world tour and get an overall score.

the brain check mode, gives you a quick set of four consecutive quizzes, then evaluates your overall brain age for the day. results also include speed and accuracy.

the quizzes in general are stuff like memorize a sequence, input the correct order.. it shows rock, you use quick judgement pick either rock, paper, or scissors.. shows a quick problem like 4 [ ] 5 = 9, select the proper + or - to put in the box.. greater difficulty options are also available for more complex problems.

apart from a few other modes like practice and check your status, continual play can unlock other varied quiz types, or trophies in the gallery mode.

if i remember right, its in the blue boxes now at best buy for $9.99, so its not that bad of a steal either.

the game was overseen by the same Dr. Kawashima that oversaw the ds games as well, if that makes any difference.

Jiggy

Huh, didn't know about Tales of Eternia--I guess probably because it's (apparently?) a Europe import. That'll be a good companion alongside the Star Ocean games down the line, and Gurumin.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I imported Tales of Eternia (prev. released on the PSOne under the (incorrect) name of Tales of Destiny II) and Breath of Fire III.

Both are fairly solid parts (ToE being a better port of a MUCH better game).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bought a PSP Core :)

MGS: PO for $40 + 4GB Pro Stick Duo for $50.

(Used MGS:pO was $35? Wtf?)

Oh, and I'm not going to go buy anymore games at this one Eb Games. The nerdy clerk there tried to show off his superiority and card me for MGS:pO. Mind you, I'm almost 21 years old, I stand at 6'5" in shoes and got a beard growing. Asshole.)

Drek

reilo said:
Bought a PSP Core :)

MGS: PO for $40 + 4GB Pro Stick Duo for $50.

(Used MGS:pO was $35? Wtf?)

Oh, and I'm not going to go buy anymore games at this one Eb Games. The nerdy clerk there tried to show off his superiority and card me for MGS:pO. Mind you, I'm almost 21 years old, I stand at 6'5" in shoes and got a beard growing. Asshole.)
Um, Gamestop and EB has a new policy where they must card anyone who looks under 30. If you don't you and the manager on duty get shit canned, so most just card nearly anyone who isn't gratuitously outside the range.

Stupid policies with half assed implementations are the #1 reason people have a problem with GS and EB but don't blame the clerks themselves, its just horrible company policy.

Linkzg said:
how do you do 333mhz? I have 3.40 oe if you needed it.

and I just started to play Crush, awesome game, I also bought Gurumin just because I plan on playing only PSP for a week.

Is there a grip for the PSP? nvm, I found these 2

802484b.jpg

or
802155b.jpg

anyone have them? are they any good?

Have the second one of those, wasn't horribly impressed. It kept shifting and wiggling around while I played, the battery pack side got very hot when charging, and in general it just felt very cheap. In the accessories thread I started a while back someone said they just taped it up with electrical tape and made it much more stable though, so I suppose with some work it might be good.

I just bought a Logitech Playgear Pocket, adds a perfect amount of extra thickness to the system for analog nub heavy games, plus its a dynamite case that'll not only protect your PSP but also keep it cleaner than most (rubber interior, hard plastic case, less dust and lint than many other case types).

reilo

Drek said:
Um, Gamestop and EB has a new policy where they must card anyone who looks under 30. If you don't you and the manager on duty get shit canned, so most just card nearly anyone who isn't gratuitously outside the range.

Stupid policies with half assed implementations are the #1 reason people have a problem with GS and EB but don't blame the clerks themselves, its just horrible company policy.

Really?

I thought he was being just a jackass. Well, he WAS being a jackass. He even read me the entire parental advisory on WHY the game was rated M. If I was the clerk, I'd follow that policy to keep my job, too, but I wouldn't be smug about it. I'd tell them honestly "I need to card you cause you look under 30, sorry bro, that's policy. Not read the entire ****ing advisory. Jackass.

FiRez

I'm surprised no one mentioned Capcom puzzle collection I mainly play Buster bros and the SF Puzzle game, and imho puyo pop fever >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ultimate Block Party

reilo

LOL man.

I haven't even unpacked MGS: PO because I've been messing around with the PSP this entire time. What Sony has done with this PSP -> PS3 Wi-Fi connectivity from anywhere is INCREDIBLE. I've used some great technology over the years, but this takes the cake. This is going to go a long ways in those boring ass General Studies classes in college for me. I was mad that I couldn't YouTube on the PSP, but now I can with the PS3 connectivity :)

BTW, what's the point of ALVS? I know what it does... but what's the point to it?

I think I'm going to pick up Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth since I missed it on the PS1 the first time around.

I wish they'd redo Xenogears for the PSP, and actually redo the second part of the game in the way that it was always intended to (second part was butchered due to budget/deadline constraints). Too bad Square sold off the license and it's in the hands of Monolith now -- who's now been bought by Nintendo :(

reilo

jiggle said:

No?

Square sold away the Xeno franchise to Monolith a few years back. How were they able to make Xenosaga then?

reilo

jiggle said:
By not calling it Xenogears :p

They are not officially related...
I could have sworn I read an article years ago that Square sold the license and it became Xenosaga.

How else are they able to use the Zohar without copyright infringement? Unless I'm wrong and that's not copyrighted?

jiggle

Square doesn't own the word Zohar.
And like, they look totally different :lol

zohar1.jpg

zohar2.jpg

zohar3.jpg

Who knows why Square didn't attempt to sue.
Maybe they just didn't care enough about the game...

I'd kill for a portable enhanced port though :/

reilo said:
I haven't even unpacked MGS: PO because I've been messing around with the PSP this entire time. What Sony has done with this PSP -> PS3 Wi-Fi connectivity from anywhere is INCREDIBLE. I've used some great technology over the years, but this takes the cake.

It's really awesome, isn't it? And to think of all the other possibilities the connectivity opens up, I can't wait to see what else they do with it.

It's a real shame that so few people even know just how cool remote play is. Whenever I show it to a friend, or someone at the gym or work or the coffee shop, they are truly amazed, and in this iPod/Smartphone/laptop culture we live in, that kind of amazement is pretty tough to generate these days.

reilo

Pristine_Condition said:
It's really awesome, isn't it? And to think of all the other possibilities the connectivity opens up, I can't wait to see what else they do with it.

It's a real shame that so few people even know just how cool remote play is. Whenever I show it to a friend, or someone at the gym or work or the coffee shop, they are truly amazed, and in this iPod/Smartphone/laptop culture we live in, that kind of amazement is pretty tough to generate these days.

Yep. It amazes me to no end, cause a friend I know just bought a new cellphone for $849 (it does have a 5MP camera and Wi-Fi and latest high-bandwidth download capabilities and it Mp3 player functions, it's a great phone, but I wouldn't pay that much for it) and I just sent him a message saying how for less money I got a virtual media network that I can access from any wi-fi hotspot in the world. I can watch any movie, listen to any music, and have access to potentially as much storage as I can connect the PS3 to, and then on top of that browse nearly any website I want on this great tiny little device.

PSP my best purchase confirmed :)

Sony has done something that Apple has only dreamed about doing. If the iPod was capable of this type of connectivity with an iMac, it would be worth its $250+ pricetag. The PSP does it for $80 less!

And I haven't even started playing any games on it yet (saving that for my flight to St Louis :))

YYZ

I was watching Eric Lempel demonstrate PS3 firmware 1.80 on Gamespot's On the Spot and he was showing exactly what you are talking about. I said WOW, seriously. 100% chance of future purchase (just waiting for the redesign, may buy used one off a friend for $100 and he didn't update his firmware much).

reilo said:
LOL man.

I haven't even unpacked MGS: PO because I've been messing around with the PSP this entire time. What Sony has done with this PSP -> PS3 Wi-Fi connectivity from anywhere is INCREDIBLE. I've used some great technology over the years, but this takes the cake. This is going to go a long ways in those boring ass General Studies classes in college for me. I was mad that I couldn't YouTube on the PSP, but now I can with the PS3 connectivity :)
Whoa thats awesome you can play youtube through the PS3 :)

Haunted

Excellent OP, kudos.

Schrade said:
Here you go:

1) Pokemon
2) Pedo Touching Games
3) Mario
4) Mario
5) Mario
6) Anime Games
Didn't you read the thread title? Troll somewhere else, you bastards.

DyTonic

Banned
I'm still pissed about the guy who said Soul Calibur 3 was confirmed for psp in the EGM thread -_-....

Get one now while it's cheap..2gb scandisk for like $20.

Odrion

Banned
Defcon said:
This thread has sold me on a PSP. Should I get one now or wait for a possible redesign?

July 11th is E3. I say wait until then, if there is a redesign Sony will introduce it and you can judge if it's worth waiting for.

So, Dungeon Maker is just a niche title then? There have been topics saying good things about it, so anyone who played it for a good amount of time willing to recommends it?
Infernodash said:
Awesome List, is there one for the Nintendo DS?
I don't think so, it would be pretty nice of someone to make one.

alu

I just wanted to show some love for Virtua Tennis: World Tour. I LOVE this game. Completed it on the Dreamcast, now I completed it once again with maxed out stats and all the rackets on the PSP. This has always been the perfect Tennis game to me.

How's VT3 different on the PSP? I know that there are some major graphical improvements on the PS3 and 360 versions (with online for the latter one, have to get it), but would there be any real reason to get 3 on the PSP, considering how the gameplay probably didn't change a lot?

Kammie

alu said:
How's VT3 different on the PSP? I know that there are some major graphical improvements on the PS3 and 360 versions (with online for the latter one, have to get it), but would there be any real reason to get 3 on the PSP, considering how the gameplay probably didn't change a lot?
Avoid it. The graphics are terrible, showing broken seams on all the models, and the crowd is so pixelated that it hurts your eyes. There's even a glitch in the programming that prevents players from clenching their fists fully; the pinky finger is always sticking out. Seems like such a rushjob... Not to mention that the gameplay is a lot slower, and that you can hardly even hit angles on net points.

I still prefer World Tour to 3 (I'm only speaking about the PSP version of 3, btw), but I'd recommend you check out Smash Court Tennis 3. The game gets broken after you get a special serve ability, and the AI on the Pro Tour mode is laughable, but it's an otherwise A-class title.

ram

devilscallmedad said:
So which one of these should i get?
Ace Combat
After Burner
MACH

ace combat - great game and a perfectly fit for the psp. when you see the other games for cheap, you can also take them, but if you only want to buy one - stick to ace combat.

Definitely Midnight Club 3, maybe the 3rd best racer next to Burnout & Ridge Racer IMHO:

oh no! the port was horrible! the loading times were really bad and the framerate was like 15fps - imo unplayable as a racing game - sure you could "enjoy" it as a tun based old school carpg. ~-~

Odrion

Banned
Anyone have any opinions on Tales of the World? It looks like it might be the first PSP RPG that doesn't suck in a long time.

Razoric

Banned
Odrion said:
Anyone have any opinions on Tales of the World? It looks like it might be the first PSP RPG that doesn't suck in a long time.

I love it. It reminds me of an offline MMORPG with its quest system. It lends itself to portability and has that 'just one more quest' style addiction to it.

Pimpwerx

Odrion said:
Haven't made it very far yet. However, what I've played makes this better than Monster Hunder Freedom and Dungeon Seige. It's my first Tales game, though. PEACE.

M3wThr33

Banned
DXMachina said:
Which DJ Max Portable version should I get? They are pretty expensive so I'd want to only get one for now.

Start with the original. Get the KOREAN and NOT International.

Then later you can get DMP2 which can link discs with the original.

Top Bottom