• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Instro

Been buying ETH on the way down... @ 295 and put in double that at 230 so overall have an average of 250 on my recent buys

I'm kinda surprised we're already at 270+ atm, thought it would consolidate longer. Never a dull moment in crypto.

Haha I thought I was slick buying extra at $300.

What would be the best thing to buy with 500 eur?
On short-term and on long-term. (Possibly with short-term gains helping the long term ones)

ETH is in a very dangerous position right now. It might be a bull trap. Gotta be ready to sell at the moment's notice I think, assuming I can because Coinbase is always mysteriously dead when ETH is dropping.

Tk0n

Ethereum coming back strong

i think its quite concerning, really. a correction is for correcting the price, but eth is already 25% up and still going. there is no consolidation and no time to build new supports.
i think, if it starts dropping again, it will drop quite hard.

What would be the best thing to buy with 500 eur?
On short-term and on long-term. (Possibly with short-term gains helping the long term ones)

if we could answer that, we would all be rich ;)
take your time to read the thread, there is a lot of namedroppings for stuff people think is good for investment. try to read up on the different projects.
good short term gains have always the possibility to reverse as the volatility goes both ways.

also, the market might still be on the brink.

DonMigs85

Anybody have an opinion on GNT, WINGS and ARK?
They're all around the 50 cent mark and seem to have good growth potential. I fear STRAT may have plateaued for now.

if we could answer that, we would all be rich ;)
take your time to read the thread, there is a lot of namedroppings for stuff people think is good for investment. try to read up on the different projects.
good short term gains have always the possibility to reverse as the volatility goes both ways.

also, the market might still be on the brink.

Is there a place where the really successful investors are talking and speculating? Would like to know what they think about things.

cheezcake

They're all around the 50 cent mark and seem to have good growth potential. I fear STRAT may have plateaued for now.

What Golem is trying to achieve is fiendishly difficult but has enormous potential, I just don't see them being able to get there without significant community contribution, industry backing is out of the question (cloud processing is a fucking money tree the big players don't want to lose). That said it's a small investment and price could jump a decent amount on release of brass golem.

Haven't done my due diligence on WINGS or ARK.

Tk0n

i think ARK has potential but it is really volatile because of the low trade volume. dont expect short term gains. dont be surprised about short term losses. but it might jump one day. i sure hope so. who knows...

if you want to read up on different projects, this is a nice site:
https://dontpanicsell.com/

no real trade advice, but some quick background about the tech behind the different projects.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
bitcointalk.org is a good place to go.
Dont go there. Its full with fake accounts attempting to swing the markets with fud every chance they got. This past month it was almost impossible to discuss ethereum without it turning into a scam discussion.

The Rizza

Anyone still interested in Tezos? I've become extremely hesitant about participating in their ICO aside from putting in the bare minimum

Tk0n

Is there a place where the really successful investors are talking and speculating? Would like to know what they think about things.

searching for opinions about coins is like googling symptoms while trying find out what sickness you got. you will find every opinion about every coin.

a lot of the successful investors arent successful because of some special knowledge, but because they put money into the market at the right time and bet on the right horse.

Donos

lol i just found out that i have some ECC / E-Currency Coin which i bought right at the beginning of my crypto endavor (when i read all the hype/shill posts about it in different places...). Could not add it to the Portfolio apps so i forgot it. Was only 50 € though.

Since the wallet on coinexchange.io is "under maintenance" for a couple weeks now and the software wallet is also trash i just got rid of it all.
Reading recent bitcointalk thread, this really seems like a mess/shitcoin.

Stratis is in this weird spot, it keeps fighting Monero and Bitshares back and forth for that #9 spot. I have bought several hundred dollars into Stratis since it does seem like it can be a sleeper coin and has hit the teens a few times before. I don't know too much on the other 3.

I do regret not getting Antshares, but Bittrex is one of the only exchanges that has it and I don't trust them. It was $4.30 when the crash occured and now its up to $8+. Could have made some decent gains.

Hoping that Eth doesn't dip down hard again, it has jumped back up way too fast with no real support.

The Rizza

I've read people losing money on there through some shady things and from word of mouth. If someone here on GAF that uses Bittrex can chime in that would be cool.

I don't have a ton of experience using Bittrex, but in my short amount of time using it, it's seemed pretty useful and haven't had any issues with withdrawing/depositing

ETH up 37% today. It's funny, I actually made a lot of money during the crash. I panic sold but then it kept going down and I bought back in pretty low, now I have more coins but for less money.

I'm basically a pro trader.

I don't have a ton of experience using Bittrex, but in my short amount of time using it, it's seemed pretty useful and haven't had any issues with withdrawing/depositing

Thanks! Kicking myself for not jumping on those Antshares, would of doubled my money.

ETH up 37% today. It's funny, I actually made a lot of money during the crash. I panic sold but then it kept going down and I bought back in pretty low, now I have the more coins but for less money.

Congrats man! I was going to sell the night before the crash, had this inkling and I waited it out. I think we are going back to the mid 300s way to fast, I see another huge dip probably coming, there's no support level with this latest hike.

Did an ICO go live today?

Donos

ETH up 37% today. It's funny, I actually made a lot of money during the crash. I panic sold but then it kept going down and I bought back in pretty low, now I have the more coins but for less money.

A week later :)

yTDSOjn.jpg

No problems with bittrex so far. It's also listed rather high (volume) for most coins it has, so it doesn't seem like a little player in the game.

Glad i reupped some ANS when it was low. So much + today although the crash showed that when ETH goes down everything goes down...

Brandson

Anyone still interested in Tezos? I've become extremely hesitant about participating in their ICO aside from putting in the bare minimum

I'm still interested in Tezos long-term, but I am avoiding all ICOs. Tezos' ICO in particular looks particularly risky. It is scheduled to last for days, with a gradually reducing number of Tezzies, or whatever, handed out over the course of the ICO. By the end of it, there could be so many Tezzies issued that either the market cap will be absurd (and thus likely to crash or be not worth investing in), or the value of each Tezzie will immediately plummet as soon as they are tradeable on an exchange. Tezos is going to take at least a year, and probably a few years, to deliver on its promise. Between the ICO and that time, I expect the price to fall below the ICO price, or at least hover around the price per Tezzie of the greatest bonus period during the ICO (and thus being cheaper than the price bought during any other part of the ICO). If I still think it's worth holding after a few months of trading on exchanges, I'll buy some, but not now. It could always explode in the short term after the ICO, but I doubt that would be sustainable for very long, and all ICOs need to come back to reality quite a lot. So I plan to re-evaluate it in a few months.

Brandson

I really like Golem as a project and have been waffling on whether it's worth holding. I held some for a bit, but recently sold on an upswing after thinking about it a lot. The number of GNT tokens issued and the current market cap just don't make sense to me. GNT's peak valuation should be something like USD$2 once their service is fully operational. Any higher than that would be really hard to justify for me. So I feel the current price of GNT is actually way too high given the current development state. If GNT corrects to about 10% or less of its current market cap, then I'd consider holding it again. I feel like almost everything but Ethereum, and maybe Bitcoin, is extremely overvalued right now. I'm sure there will be money to be made all over the place in crypto, but for me, I feel the chances of a major correction on everything that isn't Ethereum and Bitcoin are too high right now to be buying other coins.

Detox

Let's say I buy some coins on coinbase. How do I keep it safe? Is it safe just sitting in coinbase's wallet?

Kenstar

Let's say I buy some coins on coinbase. How do I keep it safe? Is it safe just sitting in coinbase's wallet?

move it to your own wallet
they're easy enough to create, no fees for moving coins either (if someone charges one run away)
There will be tiny tiny flat processing fees (0.00073673 ETH on coinbase, literally fractions of a cent whether you send 1 (1.00073673 ETH)or 1000 (1000.00073673 ETH eth) that is required for a timely transfer, this never goes to the site or whoever you're using though, its more a network fee and it never matters so send away

The Rizza

I'm still interested in Tezos long-term, but I am avoiding all ICOs. Tezos' ICO in particular looks particularly risky. It is scheduled to last for days, with a gradually reducing number of Tezzies, or whatever, handed out over the course of the ICO. By the end of it, there could be so many Tezzies issued that either the market cap will be absurd (and thus likely to crash or be not worth investing in), or the value of each Tezzie will immediately plummet as soon as they are tradeable on an exchange. Tezos is going to take at least a year, and probably a few years, to deliver on its promise. Between the ICO and that time, I expect the price to fall below the ICO price, or at least hover around the price per Tezzie of the greatest bonus period during the ICO (and thus being cheaper than the price bought during any other part of the ICO). If I still think it's worth holding after a few months of trading on exchanges, I'll buy some, but not now. It could always explode in the short term after the ICO, but I doubt that would be sustainable for very long, and all ICOs need to come back to reality quite a lot. So I plan to re-evaluate it in a few months.

Thanks for your input, that's the thought process that made me hesitant. The ICO lasting two weeks with an unlimited amount of people being able to buy in makes it sound like a sure bet to crash as soon as it hits an exchange. Might still put in the minimum amount just to have and then reevaluate once it's on an exchange

InertiaXr

move it to your own wallet
they're easy enough to create, no fees for moving coins either (if someone charges one run away)
There will be tiny tiny flat processing fees (0.00073673 ETH on coinbase, literally fractions of a cent whether you send 1 (1.00073673 ETH)or 1000 (1000.00073673 ETH eth) that is required for a timely transfer, this never goes to the site or whoever you're using though, its more a network fee and it never matters so send away

is Bittrex considered a 'wallet' or should I google around and find another one for each type of coin I have?

Donos

They have wallets but incidents like mt gox show that in a case when they get hacked or something like that, you can loose everything. While a Personal wallet (on your pc, smartphone, paper) is safer.

x3sphere

Volume on ETH today is insane relative to BTC.

TRADING VOLUME (24H)
ETH: $2,205,180,000
BTC: $1,317,020,000

67% higher!

Jumped out at $300 for now. Who knows.

Yeah, it is a total guessing game at this point. I think if we do get to $350-400 again in the next few days, then yeah, this could be the bull trap. If it does get to $350 range, I might consider cashing out and then waiting for that dip to jump back in.

Brandson

Eth broke back up above 300, could be a sign that the dark times are over or it could be a bull trap.

A +$100 rise even after a correction is a lot in a day for ETH. You'd think there would have to be some profit taking after that somewhere above $300.

I don't trust this climb at all. And being in Peru I rarely have internet access. So I think I'm going to have to sit this out. Which sucks, but I missed the shot a few days ago being completely out of reception for like two days.

DonMigs85

Two-factor authentication on Bittrex should help a lot too right?
Until I have massive sums accumulated I won't transfer to an offline wallet just yet.
Anyway, I've also been doing analysis of GNT and it does look like a real winner but it'll probably take years to get big. Wish I had bought in when it was super-cheap but 57 cents ain't so bad.

DXPett1

Any news on the Trezor version 2 coming out soon. Looking to get me (and my partner) a hardware wallet; Trezor seems to support a large selection of coins, not to mention the password manager and 2FA/U2F functionalities as sweeteners. Kind of a pain you can only buy in BTC (don't say Amazon) but I guess they are doing their part in supporting the network

Brandson

Two-factor authentication on Bittrex should help a lot too right?
Until I have massive sums accumulated I won't transfer to an offline wallet just yet.
Anyway, I've also been doing analysis of GNT and it does look like a real winner but it'll probably take years to get big. Wish I had bought in when it was super-cheap but 57 cents ain't so bad.

I like Golem but here are some numbers to think about: there are 833 million GNT in circulation, for a current market cap of USD$452 million. The current price of a GNT is $0.54. If GNT goes 10x to $5.40, the market cap will be $4.5 billion. At $25 the market cap is $20.8 billion. At $100 the market cap is $83.3 billion. If you think those numbers are adequately connected to reality, then GNT makes sense to hold, otherwise not.

I sold my Siacoin on Bittrex a week ago. And my funds are still in reserve. Anyone know what the deal is? I can't find anything about time after transaction until you can use the BTC.

Donos

I sold my Siacoin on Bittrex a week ago. And my funds are still in reserve. Anyone know what the deal is? I can't find anything about time after transaction until you can use the BTC.

Some sites need an email link verification. Waited 4 days for one transaction till i saw the mail "please verify transaction" in my inbox. facepalm. Don't think Bittrex uses it though.

Stratis, Monero, and Bitshares are starting to bug me. They keep trading the 8-10 spot, it's like none of these three can take the ball and run with it to take over #8 spot. I have money in Stratis so obviously I'd like that to take off. ;)

Brandson

Everything seems to be tied to Ethereum trading well, and looking like it may have been a bulltrap after all.

Everyone is waiting on the next EEA announcement or to see if the Tezos ICO crashes the ETH price if the Tezos people sell thousands of ETH starting this weekend (another good reason not to participate in that ICO). Those two events could happen at the same time so ETH could jump in either direction in the next few days. ETH should be in somewhat of a holding pattern until Saturday, with a small downward trend until big news hits, or fails to come out.

InertiaXr

Last two posts making me think about selling my ETH for now, not sure dealing with a potential "crash" is worth something positive coming from the EEA? what you bros think

Top Bottom