• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

Skeletos311

logo002txjs5.png

• Developer: Yacht Club Games; Based in Marina del Rey, California
  • Platforms: Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Sony PS3, Sony PS4, Sony Vita, Xbox One, PC, Mac, Linux, Amazon FireTV
  • Release Date: March 3rd, 2017 (Nintendo Switch) April, 2017 (Everywhere)
  • Price: $9.99 or available as a free update with Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
  • Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazil, Russian
  • ESRB: E for everyone, USK 6+, PEGI 7, OFLC PG

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwP0P5j05g

Screenshots - http://imgur.com/a/CMBHE

Instruction Manual - http://yachtclubgames.com/specter-of-torment-manual/

Soundtrack - https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-specter-of-torment-ost

Wallpapers

wut2oujfg.png

Specter of Torment is a prequel to Shovel Knight- an adventure starring Specter Knight, the shadowy scythe-spinner! If you've played Shovel knight, forget all you've known- this is a new adventure with different challenges and nonstop action! Take heed and pay close attention; to become the reaper, you must study his moves carefully.

description2vsk89.png

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is the action-packed prequel to Shovel Knight! Take control of Specter Knight, servant to the Enchantress, in a quest to recruit a cadre of knights and create the Order of No Quarter. With his scythe and preternatural agility at the ready, he can glide across the ground, clamber up walls, and command an arsenal of curious weapons.

If he carries out his duties, Specter Knight may have a chance at regaining his lost humanity and breaking his chains of servitude. But what cruel tricks might the Enchantress have up her sleeve? Experience perfect platforming, world-class visuals, all new stage designs, new music, new bosses, and even meet a friend or two in Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment!

features201jkp.png

• Climb walls, leap over gaps, and dispatch enemies with the Dash Slash. Specter Knight's playstyle brings motion and action to the forefront!
  • Collect and upgrade curios to unleash all new special attacks.
  • Test your scythe skills with Feats and Challenge Stages featuring Boss rematches, platforming challenges, and more!
  • Yacht Club Game's beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit.
  • Awesome soundtrack by Jake ”Virt" Kaufman!
  • Balanced gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.
  • A somber tale told with a light touch to narrative with humor, levity, and heart.
  • Crazy bosses and lovable characters.
  • Take on a new challenge and uncover all of the world's secrets with New Game+!

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - Platform Specific features

Wii U Features

• Miiverse support through the Digger's Diary – read in-game messages from other players or write messages of your own!
  • Multiple controller support: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and Wii Classic Controller Pro!
  • Off-TV Play with the GamePad!
  • Quick select Relics and items using the GamePad!

3DS Features

• Eye-popping Stereoscopic 3D display support!
  • StreetPass Battle Arena – a crazy StreetPass battle game where anything can happen!
  • Play Coin support – Trade your coins for gold!
  • Quick select Relics and items using the Touch Screen!

PS4 Features

• Battle Kratos – Fight the legendary hero from God of War!
  • DualShock 4 Light Bars support!
  • Cross Buy – buy the game digitally on one PlayStation platform and get it on the rest!
  • Cross Save – transfer your save file between PS4, PS3, PS Vita!
  • Trophy support!

PS3 Features
  • Cross Buy – buy the game digitally on one PlayStation platform and get it on the rest!
  • Trophy support!

Vita Features

• Back touch!
  • Trophy support!

Xbox One Features
  • Battletoads cameo – battle the Battletoads crew as Shovel Knight! Maybe learn a thing or two...
  • Achievement support!

Steam/PC Features

• Trading Cards
  • Achievement support
  • Cloud Saving
  • Big Picture
  • Support for every controller we can find!

sprite_specterknight_vfjri.png

Linkin112

Haven't kept up on this, but is this another "Play through the same game, but as one of the bosses" or are there actually new levels?

kyo2004

Waiting until April to hit 3DS and PC to play, Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows gave me so much fun... :) (probably triple dip on Switch if they make a physical release or digital when I finally buy the console)

Hero

Just played the first level and King Knight's stage. More fun than Plague Knight played so far.

Haines

Banned
Haven't kept up on this, but is this another "Play through the same game, but as one of the bosses" or are there actually new levels?

I kind of adore that the first post just diregards all of the info he wants in the op.

Its that special neogaf charm.

Anustart

Absolutely hated how plague knight controlled and never bothered finishing his levels. Hopefully this one is better.

Finished the whole thing in one sitting tonight. It's excellent. Much better than Plague of Shadows, and I did like that quite a bit.

The air control you have is insane.

Skeletos311

I was trying to figure out what Specter Knight's controls reminded me of and it hit me. It's pretty much Ryu Hayabusa's wall jumping and Alucard's dive kick. No wall cling, though.

The intro level is a remix. The rest of the levels are new levels with the same themes as the old ones with some similar parts in there.

sugarless

I've been surprised how much I'm fine with the non-dpad directional buttons on the joy con for this game. It's still better with the pro controller but perfectly fine on the portable mode.

Anyonr holding off because of the same issue, I think it'll be fine! Although your mileage may vary of course.

Velcro Fly

I found plague to be difficult. I knew what I had to do but my clumsy hands seldom got the button presses down so I stopped halfway through to save my sanity. From the gameplay videos and what Yacht Club has posted it seems like Specter will be a little easier to control while still having some opportunities for flashy gameplay.

Skeletos311

Specter is much easier to control. Also, this one makes you feel much deadlier than the others. Specter is just a badass.

I think I might actually like this even more than the original campaign. It's been my go to game while playing in handheld mode in bed for the past couple of days now.
Didn't expect to enjoy playing it without a proper dpad, but the short travel distance for the stick helps a lot for me.

Something something Ninja Gaiden.

I think that's a good comparison. I haven't played it in years so I can't be too sure, but the gameplay feels a lot like what Ninja Gaiden on the NES was like, if I remember correctly.

Man, I want another 2D Ninja Gaiden.

Lich Yard music remains the best.

Also I still suck so hard at the game, can't even finish most levels with more gold than I started. Doesn't help that the joy-cons are just too small for my hands.

I thought Plague Knight was fine, but it doesnt come close to the simple fun of controlling Shovel Knight. How does Specter Knight play in that regard?

Chairhome

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the Kratos and battletoad cameos (for their respective campaigns) are just for the Shovel Knight campaign, and not in the stand alone version of this. Just stating it cause it's in the OP and if someone buys the standalone version of Spectre, they may be disappointed.

CrisKre

This game is AMAZING. Thats all. Perfect in-between-Zelda game for my Switch (with a healthy dose of FAST RMX thrown in for good measure).

I can't wait to play this! I just bought Treasure Trove on Switch because I want Specter of Torment ASAP and I also want to support titles that actually come to the platform. Now I just have to pull myself away from BoTW to actually play it...

//ARCANUM

Dirty secret time: I've never played Shovel Knight.

I'm somewhat intrigued by it and Specter. Do I need to jump in and get the treasure trove? Or should I just play Specter?

VegaShinra

I couldn't beat Shovel Knight but am having a blast with Specter. The faster gameplay and slick combat are a excellent. Tons of fun.

ghibli99

Not very good. Playable but you'll miss and input here and there.

Fucking incredible that this portable indie machine has no dpad...
I don't know when it happened, but I use the left analog for pretty much all retro games now. It seems so much easier to tilt something than it is to press down on something.

Anything but nearest neighbor scaling or a good CRT filter for graphics though... I can't deal. LOL

Anustart

Specter Knight controls so well, holy shit.

That's all for now.

Then a huge improvement over plague. I tried playing more plague of shadows last night and I'm just done. The base game wasn't amazing as is, adding in a completely unwieldly character didn't help.

IrishNinja

bought this for switch while waiting on amzon to deliver my copy of zelda...4 bosses down, and maybe its just me but im liking this a bit more than my time with shovel knight!

Never played any of these, but am intrigued to get this on switch. Is this much better than the previous entries or should I play all of them? If this is a significant improvement I'd rather just play this.

vocab

Never played any of these, but am intrigued to get this on switch. Is this much better than the previous entries or should I play all of them? If this is a significant improvement I'd rather just play this.
They all play different and have their own story.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Play basic Shovel Knight for sure

Plague of Shadows is really love it or hate it

This sounds great, I haven't dived into it yet though

So, how bout that Rail Mail, huh? Never bothered with any other Cloaks after I bought it!

Is this the final expansion?

Nah, King Knight is getting a campaign next, then the last addition is a four player battle mode. At one time, all the knights and the Enchantress were going to be playable in battle mode, but I'm unsure if that's still going to be the case.

Top Bottom