• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Thought of something that bugs me, how do your pawns get better gear? (if they can)

You equip your main pawn and your rented pawns are equipped by whoever you rented them from. If you want your rented pawns to have better equipment then you rent different ones.

You can also equip them with your own weapons but you won't get it back once you release the pawn.

I can't really understand the whole (or most) of this thread, but do I want this game? I like RPG's, I like challenging games, I really appreciate a fleshed out story, but good game play or the promise of fun can override a sorta half assed one, (I'm in the middle of Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 after all.) I'd be playing on PS3.

Kyoufu

What the hell Capcom?

Yeah, I know they are relatively weak but... it's the principle of the matter: why would I waste money to purchase all of those blasted packs with money if I cannot readily use them in the game? o_O

Sigh, Capcom.

But there is no weapon pack DLC in Dark Arisen.

I got up to Daimon and he's...ugh. Fun to fight but haven't beat him yet.

A question though, after beating him do I have to go through BBI all over again from scratch, or are the quick routes near Olra still open? Is there a way to just teleport there or something?

GorillaJu

I hired a few low level pawns near the bottom of the google doc list to fill up the party as I run through hard mode.

I hired rickenslacker and chris1221's pawns. One is a manly woman and the other a womanly man. You'll both have funny surprises awaiting you when you next log in.

I'm having a hard time with this game lol. Been a long time since I've played a "hard" game like that. I started the well quest in the first village and got my ass seriously kicked by those lizard man. I think I need to gain a couple of levels.

Run behind them and cut off their tail, it only taikes a few swings and they drop their weapon and get completely crippled.

Added my pawn to the ps3 google doc , 32 fighter guardian (currently strider for an augment but will be back to fighter in an hour or two)

If anyone uses him I'd appreciate some advice on how to build him (skills, what type of gear , inclination)

Question - in BBI - is that huge iron
cyclops
supposed to be hard as shit (aka one hit kill) on my level 30 character? Or am I just doing something grossly wrong...

Fucking loving this game, this is certainly one of the best games i have played this generation. One question though, my pawn has not been hired once since Friday, is that because so many new players joined with Dark Arisen? Should i just unplug the cable and get those offline RC?

There are just too many available pawns to choose from. So, there is an imbalance. Every person who has ever played the game since vanilla DD has an online pawn, yet there is only a fraction of that same people playing Dark Arisen today. Capcom needs to patch in a pawn availability feature that promotes similar level pawns who are most active before any other search criteria. Anyway, just put a good bunch of GAFFers from the friend list document (located in the original post of this thread) and use friend pawns. Many of them are at a super high level, so you want to choose one that is near your level to avoid experience point penalties. The game first advertises friend pawns, though you can always search using a variety of parameters.

Edit; another advice is don't use pawns that have the gift box red marker on it, that indicates the pawn is from vanilla dragon's dogma, not the expansion - indicating they are probably not active and thus will obviously never use your pawn.

Are you 360? what's your GT? Also, you get RC regardless if you're online or offline.

oh no, D 2.0 doesn't fuck around. i can barely scratch V2. it's the fire drake effect. now it's restocking time or i'll have to try new pawns. 1 hour fight ahead.

twelver

anybody know when you find something better than salvation robes for sorc? I've been rocking them for quite a while, looking for better gear. On Duke Quests now...

Also whats up with no airtight flasks in shops???

Wait, does that also mean you can't create your whole party yourself? You have to hire someone else's pawn?
You create your main character, and you create your main pawn. There are two other pawn slots available, and you get to hire the main pawns of other people to fill those slots. You also have the option of not filling those two extra slots at all (i.e. not hiring any extra pawns and just having yourself and your main pawn).

SpaceHobo

Banned
Is there scaling in this game ? My main pawn and I are ~ level 6 but I hired a lvl 16 pawn from a friend , is there any negative side effects of doing this ?

Also am I missing a hit key for using healing stuff ? Do I really need to go into the menu to do everything ?

Is there scaling in this game ? My main pawn and I are ~ level 6 but I hired a lvl 16 pawn from a friend , is there any negative side effects of doing this ?

Also am I missing a hit key for using healing stuff ? Do I really need to go into the menu to do everything ?

I believe there is an XP penalty for hiring pawns that are a higher level than you.

There are no healing shortcuts. You should have a pawn with healing magic with you.

GorillaJu

I can't really understand the whole (or most) of this thread, but do I want this game? I like RPG's, I like challenging games, I really appreciate a fleshed out story, but good game play or the promise of fun can override a sorta half assed one, (I'm in the middle of Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 after all.) I'd be playing on PS3.

If you have a tolerance – or better yet an appreciation – for quirks, then you'll love it. It definitely has the gameplay down pat. I personally love to story but other are lukewarm on it it seems.

I just finished hitting rank 10 vocation on my mage, and now i want to swap over to mystic knight, but i'm worried my strength will be really weak since i've never ranked up fighter. Will i be fine if i hop right over to mystic knight, or should i level a fighter first?

Eusis

You can equip your main pawn with whatever you like. Hired pawns can only be outfitted by their creators.
Actually you can deck out hired pawns too, but anything you put on them counts as a gift and can't be taken back, so better save that for when you're feeling nice rather than building the optimum team.

BeeDog

How the fuck are you supposed to clear the room with two chained-up gorecyclops and human-like mages who cast magic that almost insta-kill you? :(

I think the story is great too, no lollore really, just a medieval setting and everything feels like it has its place and isn't just plopped down there in a gamey way.

It's endlessly much better than the annoying drivel from skyrim and dragon age, only the witcher manages to make for entertaining and interesting lollore.

@marmaladefire: it's only 30 euros and imo it's the best rpg I've ever played by miles.
The gameplay, crafting/gear/upgrading systems and class system are interesting and satisfying, the art is for the most part really good, the voice acting is good (for videogame standards).

I don't see how there can objectively be much to dislike about this game.
Some minor UI grievances (imo the shopping and inventory managment UI needs a PC ui to be less laborious but it's at least grid based which is great , and it's nowhere remotely near the awfulness of skyrim's UI) , some quests are missable or can become unavailable (might annoy the OCD inclined) but for the most part this game is frigging awesome.

Everything that matters in an rpg (gameplay, atmosphere, sense of adventure, mechanics) is so good that it shames all modern popular rpgs.

GorillaJu

How the fuck are you supposed to clear the room with two chained-up gorecyclops and human-like mages who cast magic that almost insta-kill you? :(

I sat on the upper ledge and sniped the warlocks first then went ham on the Cyclopses. I put the game down and quit (or told myself that anyway) so I definitely understand your frustration

TharpDaddy, you're going MK? Level up as Sorceror and some as Fighter. You want Mag Atk and HP

BeeDog

I sat on the upper ledge and sniped the warlocks first then went ham on the Cyclopses. I put the game down and quit (or told myself that anyway) so I definitely understand your frustration

TharpDaddy, you're going MK? Level up as Sorceror and some as Fighter. You want Mag Atk and HP

The thing is, my character and my WORTHLESS main pawn don't do jack shit in damage to the enemies in BBI; I'm rolling with a lvl 98 archer right now, decked out with the best gear from the vanilla game. It's an incredible excercise in frustration at the moment.

I went in there and two of those giant Wargs decided to spawn as well. I died really bad :( I wish my fucking pawns would follow me when I'm running for my life and mashing down on the d-pad.

The thing is, my character and my WORTHLESS main pawn don't do jack shit in damage to the enemies in BBI; I'm rolling with a lvl 98 archer right now, decked out with the best gear from the vanilla game. It's an incredible excercise in frustration at the moment.

I really can't seem to hurt anything with pure melee in BBI. You really need enchantments, or just be a magic vocation.

I got up to Daimon and he's...ugh. Fun to fight but haven't beat him yet.

A question though, after beating him do I have to go through BBI all over again from scratch, or are the quick routes near Olra still open? Is there a way to just teleport there or something?

The shortcuts get locked after you beat him and must be opened again, it's really no problem though; monster spawns change the second time through and since you know your way around, it's much faster. They'll stay open once actually defeating him,
if you noticed, you didn't actually KILL him the first time, as his body lays there after the fight, unlike every other monster that dissolves away.

So the 1h sword, Devilsbane is 1800 atk at gold forge. Insane.

All of the epic weapons from the Daimon chests are like that; the magic bow, Blackwing, makes the offline Ur-Dragon easier than any of the Dire/Cursed dragons. The greatsword? Normal drakes dead with two swings of Arc of Deliverance.

I just finished hitting rank 10 vocation on my mage, and now i want to swap over to mystic knight, but i'm worried my strength will be really weak since i've never ranked up fighter. Will i be fine if i hop right over to mystic knight, or should i level a fighter first?

I'd play a Fighter until you at least unlock all the augments, there are some really useful defensive and carry-capacity ones. Maybe even doing the same with Warrior.

I'm a level 98 Assassin - is BBI that rough on melee classes?

Extremely rough in the beginning if your gear and weapons aren't that great. My Assassin could 5fold into a Drakes heart and take off 60% of a healthbar; in the beginning of BBI, 10+ 5folds barely does anything to the big monsters.

GorillaJu

All of the epic weapons from the Daimon chests are like that; the magic bow, Blackwing, makes the offline Ur-Dragon easier than any of the Dire/Cursed dragons. The greatsword? Normal drakes dead with two swings of Arc of Deliverance.

Not quite as strong though. For reference, my Strider has higher base STR than this Fighter pawn I'm using - the Strider, with the best daggers and bow is around 2700 attack on each. This Fighter is at 3200 despite having lower base STR. Both pawns have Clout and Vehemence.

GorillaJu

Yep. It does get easier and smoother as you get better gear. I promise. I was just as pissed off as you sound.

As of now, BBI on Normal mode is somewhat of a joke. Yes, enemies still hit really hard (and cyclones still one-shot me), but I murder everything, including the final boss, who is like about as hard to fight as a girl scout. Huge improvement comes when you get better gear.

Also, bring Conqueror Periapts (Demon Periapts for magic) and ditch magic pawns in favor of fighters or Striders. 1 magic pawn is plenty.

Just fought Grigori at level 40-something last night on Hard.
Considering the Drake in Devilfire Grove could one-shot me I was worried Grigori would be impossible... but while any of his magic attacks could one-shot me my damage wasn't too terrible, and his physical attacks only almost killed me.

Fought the Ur-Dragon last night as well. I can't believe it's on gen 222 now. I remember fighting gen 30ish back when the game came out. Despite being only level 50 though I was able to fight him until he flew away, so I was actually contributing and not giving it health.

The Ur-Dragon seemed less dangerous... did Capcom nerf it? It still has so much HP that I can't even do enough damage to see his health bar move, though.

Should I even bother going for Abyssinal gear before going to BBI, though?

Also I added my pawn to the list. If anybody wants a level 51 sorcerer, she is pretty good. Kills lots of stuff with bolide and gicel

Kyoufu

Should I even bother going for Abyssinal gear before going to BBI, though?l

Nope.

I really loathe Online Ur-Dragon. I'm never on when it's in Grace Period and even if I was on there's no notification.

And I have no idea how much damage I do to it in a round. Shit design IMO.

Revan

Extremely rough in the beginning if your gear and weapons aren't that great. My Assassin could 5fold into a Drakes heart and take off 60% of a healthbar; in the beginning of BBI, 10+ 5folds barely does anything to the big monsters.

Everything I have is DF'ed (except Heaven's Key - offline UR hasn't dropped them yet). I'm not wasting my time with online UR as the generation is ridiculous in my opinion.

So basically BBI is like starting from scratch in vanilla DD - controller tossing frustration until you level about 15 times and get better gear (or so I've read many time in this thread so far).

Nope.

I really loathe Online Ur-Dragon. I'm never on when it's in Grace Period and even if I was on there's no notification.

And I have no idea how much damage I do to it in a round. Shit design IMO.

Yeah, I only managed to kill it 5 times in vanilla DD. I imagine it's a lot more ridiculous now. I would like to see what the full abyssinal set looks like with the abyssinal outfit you get from Grigori, though.

I do enjoy fighting the Ur-Dragon. I have fun doing it, but it definitely sucks when you keep going in there and its health remains the same. Sometimes I think I'm the only person fighting it.

I am eager to finally get to BBI, though. I've played through the whole vanilla game again just to get to the expansion content, but I'm finding I'm having just as much fun with vanilla now as I did back when the game came out. I think that's a sign of a truly great game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone else encounter a weird bug where the voice of a pawn is pitched way up or down?

I had to exchange one of the pawns in my party because she constantly talked like she was on helium all of a sudden, so stupid haha.

Sanctuary

So do the upgrades (Dragonforged Everfall stuff) just not start appearing until you're 50% - 75% through Bitterblack? Most everything I've found so far is junk or just Everfall items and I've been here for probably twelve hours now. And maybe the Magick Archer is just god-mode in BBI or something (reading all of the complaints), but I started it at 55 (now 71 due to the way you can't take a step without leveling...), and everything just gets demolished from afar. Or if something makes the mistake of entering a hallway, it gets shredded in a few seconds typically. The ancient ogres die in under a minute in a hallway.

Anyone else encounter a weird bug where the voice of a pawn is pitched way up or down?

I had to exchange one of the pawns in my party because she constantly talked like she was on helium all of a sudden, so stupid haha.

I don't think that's a bug. If you listen to all of the voices at character creation, there's one that sounds like it's trying to be a Chipmunk, and sounds completely stupid. They even have a female voice that almost sounds like a male baritone.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've got a few port crystals. Where are the best places to set them?

I have mine set at places near a lot of stuff so I have them at

The middle of Devil's grove closer to the western healing spring
Right in front of the Bluemoon tower (thinking about moving this)
Right at the northern healing spring
Around the witchwood entrance
And by the Greatwall camp

Sanctuary

I have mine set at places near a lot of stuff so I have them at

The middle of Devil's grove closer to the western healing spring
Right in front of the Bluemoon tower (thinking about moving this)
Right at the northern healing spring
Around the witchwood entrance
And by the Greatwall camp

Mine are kind of similar, although I put one in the Devil's Gove camp instead just because it's the cheapest/fastest way to rest and is closer to the drake. Put one at the Greatwall Camp, Deos Hills spring, Eradication Site, Bluemoon Tower and then would just carry the last one around with me to reuse again and again until post-game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Mine are kind of similar, although I put one in the Devil's Gove camp instead just because it's the cheapest/fastest way to rest and is closer to the drake. Put one at the Greatwall Camp, Deos Hills spring, Eradication Site, Bluemoon Tower and then would just carry the last one around with me to reuse again and again until post-game.

iuplVHIjOvwoh.jpg

Here are my port stones marked on the map, I feel like they're pretty good places.

I don't think the map counts as spoilers but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know.

Mystic Knight is so much fun once you hit R7 wasn't really feeling it before that since I don't really dig the perfect block mechanic too much since I am too reckless when I play.

I noticed there is an augment adding "five frames" to the perfect block window so perhaps that also helps? On PS3 does that mean physical screen frames or just time based (ie regardless of framerate)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I noticed there is an augment adding "five frames" to the perfect block window so perhaps that also helps? On PS3 does that mean physical screen frames or just time based (ie regardless of framerate)

Well considering the game runs at sub 30 fps most of the time those 5 frames added to the perfect block time must make it work flawlessly every time *bah dum tish*

More seriously though, If it is anything like any other capcom game it would literally be 5 frames of animation so physical screen frames.

I assume it's time based, otherwise it would be like a third of a second with that awful framerate.

Top Bottom