• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Kyoufu

I'm gonna try killing Daimon, saving in front of the chests and reloading until I get a higher-weight armor drop. I really wanna find out where the Oblivion and Hellfire coats come from.

I'm early on in a NG+ so no godsbane. :(

You should have one. I have 4. I'll gift it tomorrow.

GorillaJu

Nice. Thanks for the replies

Kyoufu did you gift me the Portcrystal or was that the other person who returned my pawn at he same time I wonder.

Xilium

Welp beat the final boss. Only took about two tries and 4 wakestones but man, I was pissed off the entire time. Luckily my main pawn was getting up on his grill and stabbing him to death.

Very hard to get major spells off and man if the basic spells didn't do much damage. The boss himself made me feel like I was taking part in a final battle from a Capcom fighter. Guy was dancing and kicking all over the place.

Also, if your Pawn is a Ranger named Helios than you need to sit that dude down and have a talking. Guy didn't do shit during the final battle. Didn't fire one arrow or anything.

Did s/he have the guardian inclination? That one universally sucks imo and I avoid it like the plague. For a ranger pawn, I try to find one with challenger and mitigator/scather inclinations.

xCobalt

Well that's a little annoying. I killed Death and a few minutes later, I go to the third notice board and see a quest to kill death.

burgerdog

Have you guys gotten Elite Lanterns from the novelty drops yet? Best fucking item ever

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. I'm just said I messed up and used my moonbeam gems on the wrong doors today, the only one left is the one I really wanted :lol Need that ring so my light will never go out.

Grisby

Did s/he have the guardian inclination? That one universally sucks imo and I avoid it like the plague. For a ranger pawn, I try to find one with challenger and mitigator/scather inclinations.
Could of. Mostly my fault for not changing him out I suppose.

I actually still need to change my pawn to make her more aggressive. Since finding a whole new set of armor and sword she can dish out the pain.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Anyone left in the "still haven't touched BBI" club?

Yeah I'm still there, I'm just farming the crap out of everfall and getting my vocations up. I really reallllly want a heaven's key a good longbow and something better than baleful nails and the resist ring. I am pretty sure the easiest way to make money right now is to farm wakestones and shards in everfall and just sell them since they vendor for like 30k or so.

Eusis

Its cool that a player could take this advice literally in this game. lol.
Even if it's better to force them to drink heavily and reconsider their life choices.

I switched mine back to Strider after maxing out Sorcerer levels then to Ranger. I decided to go ahead and leave Utilitarian on and get Challenge on there and deal with (post game stuff)
the Everfall, and even took on the Ur Dragon and barely scrapped by
I held GO for awhile there, and by the time I was done and left she became Utilitarian/Mendicant. What the fuck, this is like the retarded black sheep of customizable AIs with how easy it is to completely FUBAR them.

Whelp after 9 or 10 attempts, it didn't get what I wanted. All the armor turned out to be greaves.

I have finals the next 3 days, not sure when I'll give it another shot. Ugh, I just want a complete set of armor, then ill start ng+ on hard. Such bullshit.

Alucrid

Banned
I got to Daimon the first time, except I wasn't playing with game audio on so I thought it was just another run of the mill boss, didn't have many healing items or wakestones. Got him down to 1/3 then died :\

There's no other shortcut back to that area, right? I just have to continue from the second unlocked door from the starting area?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Man I am having the EXACT same issue. I've probably killed 15 or so trying to get this cloak to fucking dragonforge.
Had the exact same problem yesterday with my bow and daggers. 10 Wyrm kills later, still now DF. Going after the offline Ur-Dragon after I level up a bit more.

antitrop

I have both consoles and I want to play this tomorrow, would digital download on PS3 be the best decision?

I prefer Achievements to Trophies, but whatever. I value IQ and frame rate above all.

Just slayed my first drake. He kindly dragon forged my shirt lol. My mages actually won the fight for me. Being a mage is hard though I don't think I could do it.

Alucrid

Banned
I have both consoles and I want to play this tomorrow, would digital download on PS3 be the best decision?

I prefer Achievements to Trophies, but whatever. I value IQ and frame rate above all.

Well 360 has better frame rate, worse tearing. PS3 is the opposite. IQ probably ain't gonna swing either way.

burgerdog

Framerate's better on 360, but it tears(it rarely happens in BBI) and I haven't noticed it as much outside either. No tearing on ps3 at all at the cost of a slightly lower framerate. Flip a coin, just make sure you buy the game, we want a sequel on next gen consoles!

antitrop

Well 360 has better frame rate, worse tearing. PS3 is the opposite.
Framerate's better on 360, but it tears. No tearing on ps3 at all at the cost of a slightly lower framerate.
XKCA9xr.gif

Chairhome

Man, finally beat the Evil Eye. He's a lot easier than I thought once I figured him out. I spent a good two or three hours fighting him the wrong way, the right way took like 15-20 min.

Just slayed my first drake. He kindly dragon forged my shirt lol. My mages actually won the fight for me. Being a mage is hard though I don't think I could do it.

Playing a sorcerer on hard and I killed my first drake of this particular playthrough...after 10 or so insta-deaths from his swipe attack. It's proving to be challenging when all boss creatures can one-shot you. So long as you keep your distance and know what spells to cast and when. Really like it, though. I thought I'd miss melee, but an all-magic playthrough is a lot more slow and deliberate. Forces you to rethink quite a few encounters that you just barged into before.

Will a strider/ranger pawn with Scather and Challenger tend to favor melee over ranged combat? How can I get a mage/sorcerer pawn to keep their distance from the enemy while they're casting their attack spells?

burgerdog

Alright.

So what are these Bitterblack Gear Lv.1 and Novelty for? Do I give them to someone.

Talk to Olra to purify them. Be aware that the contents are based on you and your pawn's vocation. However, the item will always be the same, so for example, switching to double ranger will always give you the same armor / weapon / ring. You can't reset the game and get a different item.

What's the name of the top tier Magick Bow in BBI?

I have Dragon's Tempest but it's only 800 or so base.

edit: 640 base. :(

Blackwing Bow. Over 1000 when DF'd once, 1400 when DFGold, IIRC. The best weapons are insane with their damage; the Devilsbane sword does 1850 when DFGold, that nuts for a Fighter!

I got those two, the sword (Warrior), bow (Strider), shield (Fighter), the Hellfire helm and gauntlets, and the Oblivion coat from farming Daimon this morning. My Fighter pawn, fully decked out (Traitor Armor, Hellfire Helm/Gauntlets/Cloak, Betrayer Greaves, and weapons; all DFGold) has almost 3000 attack and 1600 defense. Insane!

Nice, just got Expediting Papers (makes forgery instant, maybe?) and a full Grave set of armor for my Sorc pawn. Rydia is looking pretty wicked!

Ain't do shit, son. I wish it did but it ain't do shit.

Having it on yourself doesn't do anything. You can't give it to him as a present. There's no new dialogue options or a way to "use" it. It's either bugged, or the devs are stupid and it cuts the Forge time from 1day to a half-day or something -- which would be absolutely pointless because you're still running all the way back to the inn to advance time.

I don't get.

I'm not having any luck with the blood red crystals. I went into one of the arenas and it was 6 or 7 strigois along with some harpies and gargoyles. Didn't get any from that encounter.

After going for those today, I think the only way they have a chance of dropping is if a Strigoi stabs you/a pawn enough until their tail glows bright red, and then you kill it. I killed a dozen+ before and barely got their Barb drops, two stabbed me today for their tails to glow and they both dropped a Bloodred Crystal.

--------

Does anyone know what drops Ironblack Pelts? I'm guessing the giant Geosaurians, but I think I've only seen them spawn once.

burgerdog

I just got a lv4 chest piece from a Daimon chest(Oblivion, Hellfire, and Carrion.) Daimon himself dropped a cursed armor and it was the Hellfire Cape.

Prophet: Isn't the traitor chest the regular lv3 cursed chest? You should be shooting for hellfire.

hope you didn't catch that edit lol

Top Bottom