• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I'm not going to make any judgement until I see actual gameplay.

(also, Twilight Princess is my favorite 3D Zelda)

Hypatia

itGpZ2QB6a3l0.jpg

Anyone else notice that Link is wearing the tunic from the WW Beta?

I can see what people are complaining about in these screens in regards to the art style change but after my premature SFIV freakout I've decide not to get too worked up about this until it gets closer to launch.

Semajer

Urgh, they need to fix the lighting, and actually make it look like Wind Waker. It's like someone managed to puke bloom all over it.

They need to make the gamepad work as the Tingle Tuner. Fix that camera while they're at it, fuck three photos at any one time.

Add in the missing dungeons. I want at least a dungeon for the blue pearl, and another one for the Master Sword.

Then two mini-dungeons for the arrows. Then a proper dungeon for Ganon's Tower.

I'm actually okay with the Triforce hunt for the most part, but they need to do something about Tingle's involvement with it, and instead of just picking up a chest with the shard in there should be a mini-dungeon in old Hyrule that you have work through to earn it.

Oh, and being able to warp to any island, and have the ship sail enchanted so that its always in the wind.

Also, I take it you meant "Fix that camera" to mean "Make the color camera available from the start of the game as a default item, and let me use the Gamepad as a camera."

I did think that, but more than three photos is more important.

Also, this thread needs more Dragon Roost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbUTWjHSqVo

Croc

Banned
I'm surprised at how split the reaction to this is. I think it looks absolutely amazing.

And yeah I'm also hoping for a change up with the Triforce stuff. I never finished Wind Waker cause I stopped caring because that part was so boring.

When I saw the screenshots out of context I thought it was some fan mockup in Source Filmmaker with the game's assets ripped to Source. Seeing that they're genuine is kinda weird, the lighting seems in direct conflict with what the game originally was.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Miiverse compatibility, aka add a forum. Don't work too hard Nintendo. The game looks good, but Nintendo is this being treated as a Holiday line up savior at near full MSRP?

It's amazing how such a subtle change can have such a profound effect on the look and feel. It reminds me of gouraud shading on old PS1 games... gone are the flat colors that defined the original cel shaded art style. Now it looks like cheap CG rather than a clean cartoon.

Then there's the bloom. Holy shit.

Suddenly I'm scared to see HD Mario if this indicative of Nintendo's idea of HD style going forward

serplux

Looks nice, just wanna see it in motion in order to get a good feel for it. (Also SS is the best 3D Zelda, but I by no means dislike any Zelda, even if I only tolerate the DS ones).

Edit: Also arguing about Wind Waker's art style two console gens later is pretty awesome. :D

Qurupeke

I'm surprised at how split the reaction to this is. I think it looks absolutely amazing.

And yeah I'm also hoping for a change up with the Triforce stuff. I never finished Wind Waker cause I stopped caring because that part was so boring.

I'm gonna agree with you. When it was announced, I was excited and I think it's the best game of this ND. But then, not everyone seems so pleased. Some wanted other Zelda games... Meh... It's the only 3D Zelda I haven't played and I fucking want it.

Nintendo made the impossible, they made WW look bad. There's literally nothing good about that screenshot.
But 3D stairs!

You're wrong, looks great
Übermatik;46798889 said:
I can't get over how good this screen looks. And they said they got positive feedback on the Zelda HD Experience, so my bet is that the new game will look like the demo but better.

I think it looks wonderful as well...I like how clean it looks. Sure its not the classic Cel Shaded style, but damn I love the Pixar look.

Pointing out that the bloom looks bad is now being bitter

there's pointing out the bloom looks bad (which it does) and then there's "yeah well wind waker is a piece of shit and also this looks like the worst shit and nintendo is fucking us again forcing us to rebuy every old game ugh"

abasm

I can see what people are complaining about in these screens in regards to the art style change but after my premature SFIV freakout I've decide not to get too worked up about this until it gets closer to launch.

Yeah, these seem really conceptual. It looks like they just took geometry from Wind Waker and said, "wouldn't this look cool with GLOBAL ILLUMINATION?"

Pejo

As a lover of Cell Shaded graphics, i am a little disappointed in the characters. The first WW has charm and looks great on Dolphin while retaining the Cell Shaded look.

This...eh...

Kusagari

I think the areas themselves look fine, but the character models look horrible. They've lost all the charm of the original and look like characters from a 2nd rate CGI movie.

JollyWolf

Looks awful.

Characters look out of place and look like it's claymation. The bloom make the whole place look unnatural. I can not see how anyone can think this looks good. Looks like some cheap public television 3D animation shows.

nasos_333

Nintendo made the impossible, they made WW look bad. There's literally nothing good about that screenshot.

The lighting is good, but the whole thing does not fit WW style much

I am starting to hate next gen graphics :), they not only take away the 2D games i loved but now manage to make the 3D games i loved look totally different and for the worst (overall)

Hypatia

I think it looks wonderful as well...I like how clean it looks. Sure its not the classic Cel Shaded style, but damn I love the Pixar look.

Yeah it looks really nice... but not for a Wind Waker remake.

WW already has it's own style, they don't need to change it.

Use this Pixar look for Zelda U and let WW stay cel shaded ):

mantidor

Übermatik;46798889 said:
I can't get over how good this screen looks. And they said they got positive feedback on the Zelda HD Experience, so my bet is that the new game will look like the demo but better.

Zelda fanbase in a nutshell.

Sushigod7

I'm in, WW has been one of my favorite Zelda experiences. Also good to hear they are re-thinking the series in general and how they go about it for the new game. Probably will be a teaser at E3 then nothing till 2014 or maybe 15.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Except you know, everything?

Except, he has an opinion?

And I agree with him. It does look like shit.

That indie platformer game with the little boy with a top-hat that borrows WW style even looks better than this--and that's made by one guy.

Why would anyone buy a WiiU just because of a rerelease lol? Some people here are weird. I think it looks great, but all the "Ok, time to buy a WiiU" posts are a little bit ridiculous xD

Margalis

Banned
In that one picture of the characters they are standing in shadow so the only lighting on them is rim lighting.

The other picture of them is still basically cel-shaded but with the rim lighting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom