• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to Japanese Horror Movies?

Per the scary gif threads - I can't really think of many other/new scary horror outside of The Ring and the Grudge. I've also seen the one about the watertank, audition, the wailing (Korean?) and tale of 2 sisters (korean). There was an american movie about the suicide forests in japan but that really wasn't very good (also off-topic)

Has japanese horror slipped in the last couple of years with no significant horror classics coming out?

Throw up so suggestions if you know of any.

Jakten

There's still a lot of Japanese horror movies but they generally aren't super original. There has even been a few kind of trashy/low budget film adaptations of Japanese horror games though, including 2 live action Ao Oni movies, a Fatal Frame movie, Corpse party, and more obsurely 5 movies based on Kyofu no Mori/Death Forest which is about a giant floating head. Here's the 2nd Movie trailer

A movie I really enjoyed was As the Gods Will by Takashi Miike. It's a bit of fantastical but has some pretty intense moments.

I've also heard that The Complex is pretty good.

Chuckie

Thi smight be for you!

sadako-vs.-kayako-poster.jpg

Lol.

The secret is that Japanese horror has never been particularly special or good. Once you've caught up on the handful of classics, you're left with the same pile of crap that you'd expect from American horror movies. For movies that don't really get talked about a lot though, I was surprisingly pleased with and Rinne/Reincarnation and Miike's One Missed Call (known more for it's garbage American remake). Speaking of garbage American remakes, you should check out the original Thai Shutter too.

South Korea has spent the last 15 or so years becoming one of the best film industries in the world though.

Add memories of murder to that as well....or is that more of a thriller?

It's a crime thriller, but it's IMO Bong's best film to date and a great movie.

The Freddie vs Jason of Japanese Horror movies. Terrible.

Hey now Freddy vs Jason may not be a classic, but I mean it delivers exactly what it says on the tin and you could do worse for a night with friends & beers.

Top Bottom