• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

I use a cleaning thing EXACTLY like that and my XB1 is still covered in hairline scratches and marks. Same with the PS4 and the Wii U.

Yeah I use that same product and it still leaves scratches for sure.

Also, I think out of the PS4, X1 and Wii U the PS4 seems to scratch the easiest. Or at least mine does.

If you want a scratched to shit glossy console just go and buy a pre-owned system from Gamestop/Game/wherever, it'll look about as good and cost far less.

Sakujou

Banned
i would prefer to buy other consoles than this glossy mess. if its glossy, its easier to get scratches in the system.

i hate that.

on the other hand, the market clearly wants this glossy system. i was a fan of the glossy 360 and fat ps3(best console design of the forever) but these days because of my new flat, i hate to see all that dust and fingerprints on my systems. fuck this shit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U looks okay, XBO less so... but both are STILL better than the cheap looking glossy bullshit console makers keep giving us.

big_z

glossy white is fine because you cant see the scratches but black is awful.

is there a recommended way to clean glossy black plastic without ruining the finish? seems like Kleenex or even microfiber cloths are enough to mess it up.

Peltz

this thread reminds me of the days when people were painting their DS and we got this masterpiece. the whole scratch the shit out of your console is right on par imo.

BaAByR7.jpg

thehellisthat.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
glossy white is fine because you cant see the scratches but black is awful.

is there a recommended way to clean glossy black plastic without ruining the finish? seems like Kleenex or even microfiber cloths are enough to mess it up.

Glossy white is definitely better from a distance, but I'd still rather have matte. Matte black DSi is so nice.

Best bet for cleaning is probably compressed air, by using any cloth or anything you are going to be dragging the dust along the surface which is what causes the scratches.

cameron

Yikes. Hope the owners don't have any regrets. It can still be salvaged if they used finer and finer grit to the sand the surface down to a smooth matte finish.

Because, right now, the surface looks like exactly what it is; coarsely sanded plastic. Or, a bit of a stretch, it looks like really bad streak residue from waxing/cleaning.

Orayn

If people want matte, they should just spray the whole thing with Plasti-Dip. It's durable, available in a dozen different colors and textures, and if you don't like the results you can just peel it off and the surface underneath will be no worse for wear.

Though I do think that Wii U turned out pretty well.

coastel

glossy plastic fucks me of my ps4 has light marks on it since like week one, yes I could of been a bit mre carefull but kinda hard with 2 kids. I wish it was the same plastic as the other half of it.

If ppl hate the glossy look of their consoles decals are much better than getting the sandpaper out.

Why has the gloss finish got so popular with console manufacturers? To make their slim revisions more attractive to gamers who have a scratched up original console? (I'm reaching I know)

J4g3r

I hate glossy plastic on my hardware as much as the next person.

This is not the answer though, I'll just stick to not touching them when I can help it..!

daveo42

Banned
I like the brushed look, but wtf guys...don't do that shit to your consoles. You might get lucky and make it look pretty awesome, but there's a good chance to screw it up and make it look like garbage.

If companies would stop making stupid glossy electronics, people wouldn't feel the need to resort to this...

I really wish they would stop.

glaurung

That sanded Xbox One looks like someone made a mess of a job and then tried to cover it up by brushing all over. It looks incredibly bad. If they want a proper matte finish, why not dismantle/mask and spray with a matte lacquer instead?

GRaider81

I want to get an xbox one but I'm really put off by the size. I work in a workshop and was thinking of sticking it through the circular saw to trim it a bit.

Do you think it will be ok?

Davey Cakes

To be honest, the Wii U could look worse.

My Wii U is hardly glossy anymore anyway. I transport it relatively often for a console and it just has marks all over it.

Meanwhile my matte X360 looks fine.

One of the reasons I dislike glossy finish is because it shows wear very easily. I mean, you sand it down and you actualy give it a more uniform look that's less susceptible to cosmetic blemishes.

Fuchsdh

That sanded Xbox One looks like someone made a mess of a job and then tried to cover it up by brushing all over. It looks incredibly bad. If they want a proper matte finish, why not dismantle/mask and spray with a matte lacquer instead?

That's my thought too. You're far less likely to damage the thing by repainting it.

Still kind of ridiculous that after modifying their last-gen revisions so that they would be matte, Sony and Microsoft both went back to glossy fingerprint magnets this gen.

The only one in the OP that truly makes me bug-eyed is the Macbook. It's already a metallic, matte surface. Why the hell would you destroy it like that?

Top Bottom