• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
ロースカツ弁当 was the best thing I've ate there. Too bad that there's so little meat in it.
I also liked their fake steak, but they've stopped selling the regular one and you can only get a special or double version. :/

Never eaten. I only went one day because my bank card stopped working and it was a holiday and I only had ¥300 yen to spend on food for the day. Hotto Motto confirmed ponposaviour.

Another random question but as anyone been to club Mogra in akiblah? If so, thoughts?

Ayumi

GROMPH FOR BEST MOD

image.php

?? Can't quote his avatar. rip

Aizo

Banned
I honestly just threw out those questions as examples, but since everyone is answering 'em, I should, too!
What made you interested in Japan?
A combination of so many things. Growing up, we had three different Japanese exchange students live with us, so that was definitely part of it. My Mom's stories about being in Japan for a month, too. My 4th grade class' quick overview of Japan, too. Then, the big part was getting into Japanese rock music right before I entered middle school. It wasn't until High School that I decided I wanted to do something about my ever growing passion.
Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
I just wanted to come to Japan so bad, so I figured I should probably learn the language. I suppose I mostly wanted to talk to my Japanese friends and understand Japanese songs, but over the years, I've discovered so many other applications for the language. Most recently, I've started playing more games in Japanese. I knew there were many games that never came west, but damn!
Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes, although I'll be leaving on the 1st of October. My roommates are leaving the country, so I just moved in with my friend's family today!
How long have you lived in Japan?
I've only lived here about a year. It'll be close to 13 months when I leave.

What is your favourite Hotto Motto meal, jp gaf.
Honestly never had it. There weren't any near the last two apartments I lived at, and I just checked google maps—there isn't one near where I moved to today.

A related question: Sukiya, Yoshinoya, or Matsuya?

Aizo

Banned
He kindly went out of his way to come to Kanda station, lent me his phone to call my bank in Dublin.

And at above: Gyudon is great.
Being helpful online and off? Wow. That's really cool of him!
I hope everything's sorted :)
Welcome back to Japan!!!

Heh, a gaf meetup, are Juniors allowed ? :D

Came 7 years ago for 1 month, really loved the convenience of life and the kindness of people. Though I hate the summer there.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)

Originally because I liked animes and stuff, then after I came here I started learning so that I could live here.

Yes, near Shibuya.

3 years at the end of the week. Started my own company there and doing some freelance.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Man the time just flies out here.

Spending some time tomorrow in Odaiba and I'm wondering if there are any shops I should look into for some new or used figures and any other cool video game related swag or special editions with cool pack ins.

The same question applies to Kyoto because I will be spending two days out there.

Spending some time tomorrow in Odaiba and I'm wondering if there are any shops I should look into for some new or used figures and any other cool video game related swag or special editions with cool pack ins.

The same question applies to Kyoto because I will be spending two days out there.

You should definitely go check out the Capcom store in Odaiba. It's in the AquaCity mall. And the Gundam Front at DiverCity if you're interested in Gunpla.

And while in Kyoto you should take the train to Osaka and check out Nipponbashi. There's a Mandarake shop in Osaka too.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Everyone's aware of that. It's not worldwide though, and his experiences support that.
Oh yeah, I missed the post with the link, sorry.

I hate how it turned out for the MC owners, because right after coming here to work I had to make a new card and decided to make a MC instead of a Visa, because I thought that it's more widely accepted abroad. :(

Edit:
On a completely unrelated note, I strongly suggest downloading the new Geo smartphone app if you're a frequent Geo user. Their previous app was the worst thing I've had installed on my phone - to put it lightly it was unusable trash, but the new one is pretty sweet. It allows you to check the availability of DVDs/BDs in the store and you can get useful coupons for rentals/purchases. I think the current one active until 09.09 gives you 9% off a used game purchase.

TransTrender

Gold Member
You should definitely go check out the Capcom store in Odaiba. It's in the AquaCity mall. And the Gundam Front at DiverCity if you're interested in Gunpla.

And while in Kyoto you should take the train to Osaka and check out Nipponbashi. There's a Mandarake shop in Osaka too.
Thanks I'll check them out!

Ayumi

There's a great pool/jacuzzi (indoor and outdoor - the sunset looks amazing from there) at the hotel right next to the Liberty Statue. It's inside Hotel Nikko (I can't remember how much I paid, but the time was unlimited). They have sauna, pool, gym, 2 jacuzzi, spa and great showers. You can use all of them as you want to. http://www.hnt.co.jp/spa (except the spa (massage) which has an additional fee.) There are also plenty of restaurants inside (there's a really great one of Mexican food for instance) and there's a shopping mall right across the street.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
GROMPH FOR BEST MOD

Thank you. Anytime if is in my hand i like to help.

image.php

?? Can't quote his avatar. rip

I dont remember only with the user, maybe is because i changed recently the avatar, i edited your post and added the right url.

He banned Londa, so he's automatically in the upper echelons lol :)

The "Londa's Incident" what a title for a horror game. I miss her sometimes.

Heh, a gaf meetup, are Juniors allowed ? :D

Yes, you are welcome to join us!.

Updated list:

Who:

• Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • BombStrike
  • Evilore
  • Gromph
  • Jijidasu picture.

Jijidasu

Can you make Evilore hold the picture? I want to embraced.

And on topic: JGAF has a large network of game communities. I don't know all of them but the ones currently active and coming soon are as follows:

Destiny 9/9: SUZUME clan (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121660015&postcount=2548)

FFXIV on Durandal server (Nocturne).

We are hoping to get people into FFXIV for the upcoming 2.4 patch which will introduce new jobs and dungeons. I'd like to have a full JGAF group and do some end game content if possible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thread. Didn't know so many were in Japan now.

Gromph, what brought you there?

Gromph

Staff Member
Cool thread. Didn't know so many were in Japan now.

Gromph, what brought you there?

Oh, right let me quote the questions.

History,the safety of the country, games, food and of course i like asian girls :)

The first time i put a step in the country i felt as i was at home, that was a great sensation.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

I did for the games (FFXI). Now i study in the company twice a week, and a particular academy once a week also i try to use it whenever i can.

Yes, and i plan to live here forever.

1 year 4 months 3 days. (i can go more deeper on this :p)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, right let me quote the questions.

History,the safety of the country, games, food and of course i like asian girls :)

The first time i put a step in the country i felt as i was at home, that was a great sensation.

I did for the games (FFXI). Now i study in the company twice a week, and a particular academy once a week also i try to use it whenever i can.

Yes, and i plan to live here forever.

1 year 4 months 3 days. (i can go more deeper on this :p)

Wow, well it sounds like you are happy, at least! Very glad. I see a lot of people who fall in love with Japan quickly become disillusioned with the place once they live there. Nice to see some enthusiasm for once.

Did you find a job from outside of the country, or go there first and then do job searching?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Neither are super high quality or anything, but I've always preferred Matsuya to Yoshinoya.

Love their Bibim-Don, too.

One of my grandparents studied at Waseda and when he was around, he frequently urged me to study in Japan. Academically, Japan was interesting from the standpoint of economic development even if it had fallen out of vogue in the 1990s and 2000s. It turns out I gambled correctly as my arrival coincided with the start of Abenomics.

It's natural to learn the local language when living abroad. I'm now committed because I truly enjoy kanji and calligraphy.

Yes.

Two years and, much to my surprise, I'll be here for the foreseeable future as I just got a job at the Tokyo office of the Asian Development Bank.

Gromph

Staff Member
Wow, well it sounds like you are happy, at least! Very glad. I see a lot of people who fall in love with Japan quickly become disillusioned with the place once they live there. Nice to see some enthusiasm for once.

Did you find a job from outside of the country, or go there first and then do job searching?

I got this job overseas, i send my CV, they made me four Skype interviews and here i am.

Yeah, i love this country like the first day, and as i say even friends try to say me is not, i'm happy.

Mik2121

I guess I'll answer this stuff as well!

Gaming. Specially before coming to Japan, when the Japanese games were in average still better than western titles (in my opinion). Even though I was already an avid fan of western titles, Japan was still seen as one of the best places for gaming.

I wanted to work here.

Yep. Used to live in Osaka, then moved to Fukuoka, now back to Osaka.

About 8 years now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Mik, you're back in Osaka? Cool!

Job change, too?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Man, there's a lot more Japan-GAF than I thought. Nice to start seeing the names.

Didn't see these questions earlier, sooo..

Went there on post deployment leave for a month and fell in love with the place. The people, the atmosphere, the weather. All of it. A year later I went back for another month and met my GF.
(edit: I was always interested in the games and anime, but visiting tipped me over the edge)

Many reasons. Future job use, the fun conversations I've had with Japanese people in bars, the challenge of the language, the girlfriend...

No. Since my GF is trying to get her masters done in San Francisco, I'm holding off until she is done to move there. Plan on making it my new home eventually.

[/B]How long have you lived in Japan?[/B]
Haven't, but will make it permanent eventually.

bonus question.

What is your favorite place in Japan?
For me the top three are the entire city of Hiroshima, Asakusa, and the rock bars in Kabukicho.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, quit my job at CyberConnect2, now working in a company here in Osaka!
How are you doing? :p

Quite well! Not living in Japan at the moment, but still go back for work (usually Tokyo) and to visit the wife's family and friends (Osaka).

CyberConnect2 sounded like a neat place, but I don't know about living in Fukuoka... Osaka definitely seems like a better location.

Gromph

Staff Member

Yakushima.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Yakushima.

One of the places I've been dreaming to go. Loved Arashiyama and Miyajima, but everyone has told me I should go to Yakushima. It's one of the reasons I still apply for government jobs near Okinawa.

Speaking of which, are IT management jobs still in high demand in Japan. I haven't really looked in a while because of circumstances, but would like to know for possible reentry in the next couple of years.

Mik2121

Quite well! Not living in Japan at the moment, but still go back for work (usually Tokyo) and to visit the wife's family and friends (Osaka).

CyberConnect2 sounded like a neat place, but I don't know about living in Fukuoka... Osaka definitely seems like a better location.
Fukuoka obviously has way less events and stuff going on than Osaka, which also has a bit less than Tokyo. Specially when it comes to game development. Then again, both CEDEC (the translated-to-japanese GDC) and TGS (The translated-to-japanese gamescom with some weird Japanese games) are a laugh these days so it doesn't bother me much :p

For living though, Fukuoka is much cleaner than Osaka, and if you don't care about events and shit, you can still get all your shopping done in just two areas (Hakata and Tenjin), which aren't all that big but include everything you'd want.

Osaka is a very nice city and the food is great, but man is this place dirty and old... specially the stations :/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ikebukuro or Akihabara, I guess. I don't like sightseeing, so these kind of places where I can get my dose of games etc. are what I enjoy the most.
The fact that I work in Ikebukuro helps.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

I've lived in a few places over the years, and - to be honest - when we bought the house we have i wasn't entirely thrilled with the area we were moving to (in Suginami-ku)

I mean - it's right by everywhere of any note, and it's convenient for just about everywhere else - but for some reason i was net-negative on the move, plus the house was/is a bit... weird (we have two houses (nisetai), the total area is stupidly large by Japanese standards (well into 300m2+) but the design means we have one fat stubby house and one long thin house over two floors........... anyways, digressing here.

Moved in and within a few weeks i was in love with the whole of Suginami-ku, but specifically i love the house and the area. I love coming home to it.

I had a very wtf moment - we had to go to Osaka for a weekend a few weeks after the 3/11 thing as i had a critical piece of work to complete and we couldn't take any chances. I gave the house a friendly slap and told it we'd see it in a few days / don't be falling over or having any parties whilst we are gone..... (that might have been the PTSD talking....)

Anyways, favourite place in Japan ? Suginami-ku in general, our house specifically.

Gromph

Staff Member
Updated list:

Who:

• Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • BombStrike
  • OddMorsel + 3
  • Evilore
  • Gromph
  • Jijidasu picture.

Zornica

Banned
There's a great pool/jacuzzi (indoor and outdoor - the sunset looks amazing from there) at the hotel right next to the Liberty Statue. It's inside Hotel Nikko (I can't remember how much I paid, but the time was unlimited). They have sauna, pool, gym, 2 jacuzzi, spa and great showers. You can use all of them as you want to. http://www.hnt.co.jp/spa (except the spa (massage) which has an additional fee.) There are also plenty of restaurants inside (there's a really great one of Mexican food for instance) and there's a shopping mall right across the street.

wow, that looks awesome, I really need to go there some day.

The bank had blocked all transactions as an anti-fraud precaution when they saw the card being used in Asia.

good for you! most of us aren't that lucky. I had to get a visa, just in case. I'm still pissed about that

I may just as well...

At first, games mostly. But at the university, I became much more interested in Japans social, economical and diplomatic problems.

It just happened... I used to be a history student and needed a few extra ects (european credits) so I just joined a japanese language course. And than... I changed my major the next term.

kinda, see below
I'm located in southern Yokohama

[/B]How long have you lived in Japan?[/B]

a little over 2 Months so far, although I'm currently back in Europe and won't get back until next week.

So far it's Enoshima... lame, I know. But I kinda like the area around Kamakura in general. It's close by and laid back. It also has a nice beach and I love the hemp restaurant there ^^. I'd also like to check out Irita hama as I've heard good things about it. I may have to rent a car someday...

Top Bottom