• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: One Night Live announced (Live-performance of story)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just got back from the event. When they said they were going to show a never been before scene I thought it was going to be shown on the live stream too. I guess people already described the scene pretty well. I did manage to record part of the scene, but at the end of the scene Geoff said not to upload or record on Druckmann's request. I already deleted the file, sorry guys. I do have this though.

Pft, I would have kept it

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I just got back from the event. When they said they were going to show a never been before scene I thought it was going to be shown on the live stream too. I guess people already described the scene pretty well. I did manage to record part of the scene, but at the end of the scene Geoff said not to upload or record on Druckmann's request. I already deleted the file, sorry guys. I do have this though.

xoKlK2U.jpg
Nice. She's got a Savage Starlight poster in her room. Can't really make out what the other one's supposed to be.

Guys chill. This wasn't an awards show with 10/10 GOTY banners all over the place. This was an improvised performance thrown together quickly for fans of the game to celebrate its story and see the craft behind it on the eve of the remaster's release. No one forced you to watch it. Nothing about ND gives me an impression that they think they are too big now. They love what they do, work hard, and are talented. That's it.

Pfft. We all paid $60 for this event. It was worse than the game. Remastered my ass!

Just finished watching and I gotta say: kudos to ND and Keighley for putting this together. I was apprehensive going in but it turned out to be pure class.

I understand the "arrogant" talk, but I don't agree with it. TLOU was a great achievement and they have a right to be proud of it. This event gave many involved a chance to showcase their talents in a unique way, and wherever there's talent there will be haters.

Lately we've seen a litany of TLOU-related threads, events, and features, sure... but not because ND is arrogant. For one, they won a huge number of game of the year awards and produced Sony's best selling new IP of the gen (in addition to Uncharted), so they have the acclaim to back it up. Don't confuse simple marketing for self-aggrandizing. They have a new, much requested, version of the game releasing tomorrow for Sony's flagship system. This is a novel way of promoting it by celebrating what makes the game special.

Palocca

I didn't get the chance earlier to just say how incredibly talented the cast is. I came away especially impressed with Troy Baker. I know he does really great work in the VA scene, but the off camera epilogue scene had him showing off his guitar and singing chops as well. Very talented, I'm really surprised that we don't see him in more movie or TV acting roles.

This pretty much describes how I feel. I wasn't into the game but the reaction to TLOU has gotten to their heads and made them arrogant. I miss the Uncharted days.

I dunno considering its sold less than UC I wouldn't say they are arrogant as UC3 was a grandiose and over the top roller coaster and TLOU is substantially more subtle and less bombastic. If anything it felt like UC3 was trying hard to capture what UC2 had and came up short across the board.

Edit: AJ and TB just work so well together. That farmhouse room scene was awesome.

I was finally able to watch this, and wow. Troy Baker is way too good to not be super famous. He can act, voice act, sing, perform live, and he's incredibly good looking to boot. Seriously.

I'm very bitter about not being able to see that epilogue though. I'm a very completionist type of person, so knowing that there is an 'extra ending' written by the Druckmann and performed by the actors... that hurts. There has to be someone out there who recorded it...

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was finally able to watch this, and wow. Troy Baker is way too good to not be super famous. He can act, voice act, sing, perform live, and he's incredibly good looking to boot. Seriously.

I'm very bitter about not being able to see that epilogue though. I'm a very completionist type of person, so knowing that there is an 'extra ending' written by the Druckmann and performed by the actors... that hurts. There has to be someone out there who recorded it...

he was in Real Steel as...the voice for a robot lol go figure

he's probably getting so many jobs these days that he could probably care less. tbh

3JORN

I just can't see how something like this play can be construed as being 'arrogant'. They didn't even organize it in the first place. Wow, projecting much?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just watched the twitch archive. This sure was something. I didn't expect anything out of this really, but it turned out to be incredible. Seeing the soundtrack performed live alone was worth it, but the actors nailed all the scenes again. This whole idea was kinda weird, but they pulled it off.

Incredible that people are calling Naughty Dog arrogant for this.

They are the only developer that could actually do this. Every other developer has the writing capablities and character progressions of a two year old.

We should be happy that people in this industry actually have the skill to do this.

Instead of being glad to have such talented people working in the industry some people are happier just shitting on everything, makes me wonder if they care about videogames at all.
It's pretty sad when you think about it and also incredibly disrespectful.

Here is a pic from the event prior to starting.

Great performances and experience that my wife and I got to enjoy. The way Neil ended the story completed the Joel and Ellie story-line. No need for either of them in the sequel after viewing the final ending.
Now if you could just share with me what went down

Vashetti

Banned
Might be the end of Joel AND Ellie sure.

But Neil clearly says in the Grounded documentary that he says TLOU (1) as being the origin of Ellie's story and turning her into an action hero.

He fought to get her front and center on the cover and essentially eludes to moving forward with her in the future.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Troy can act the shit out of an angry guy screaming. Anyone could go out there and yell and put on an angry face, but damn if he didn't make a real believer out of me with his two angry lines.

Man, Santaolalla is amazing, I can't even begin to imagine this game with different music, it's such an integral part of the experience and conveys the atmosphere of the game so well.
So cool of him to show up for this, incredible performance, I wish I could've been there.

Drencrom

What the hell? Why didn't they film the epilogue scene?

Comes off as a nice fuck you to all the fans that couldn't see it live. Really, reading impressions of a scene is the last of Joel and Ellie we get? Seriously...

The TLoU2 will not involve those 2 characters then right?

I hope it doesn't. They should even move the sequel to Europe. That way they avoid trying to continue anything and live up to what the characters have become, and can essentially make a totally new game that just so happens to be in the same universe.

This thread seems to be headed down the same path as all the other TLOU threads. Pretty tiring exercise. Started as a celebration of a fantastic show, now it seems to reverting back to nitpicking the game itself like all the others.

Anyway, brilliant job by Neil Druckmann and the entire crew that took a part of this show. Was incredibly fun to watch and will sit back and watch it again asap. Troy and Ashley really do have a fantastic chemistry. Loved that they performed the alternate ending live on that stage, was hilarious and you could tell they were just having fun with it.

Good stuff.

Sucks they didn't film the epilogue ... yet, but something tells me we will see it eventually in some form.

Clicked on the youtube link in a state of mind somewhere between apprehension and curiosity, and left resolutely impressed. Troy Baker and Annie Wersching were phenomenal (No disrespect to the other talented actors). Gustavo Santaolalla is a hero of mine, so his presence alone was worth the price of admission.
Kudos to ND for creating a unique experience that deserves the accolades and much more. This is the game I will be mentioning whenever a conversation surrounding the past consoles generation pops up!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Might be the end of Joel AND Ellie sure.

But Neil clearly says in the Grounded documentary that he says TLOU (1) as being the origin of Ellie's story and turning her into an action hero.

He fought to get her front and center on the cover and essentially eludes to moving forward with her in the future.

Yeah this was always the most notable thing to come out of the Grounded doc, that they essentially hinted to TLOU2 with an older Ellie. Her character has so much potential, it'd be a shame to stop here. TLOU may be the end of 'Joel & Ellie', but it's not the end of Ellie.

Vashetti

Banned
Yea... that scene with Ellie and Nolan was pretty creepy. Different sound and tone to what Nolan usually does as well. Too bad he is not around for this.

I didn't know it was him until I watched the credits. Guy has range.

Too many devs just ask for his 'Drake' voice now.

Shin-Ra

I missed the first half this morning and just caught up with it, great stuff. I wonder if they were going to do the scene with Sarah but it turned out to be too risky to try live on such short notice.

glottis8

Banned
I didn't know it was him until I watched the credits. Guy has range.

Too many devs just ask for his 'Drake' voice now.

Same here. I didn't know until i saw the dev documentary, and he talks about him being casted and him wanting to do something different. I thought that was awesome.

Sethista

anyone has the lyrics to the song joel sang to ellie in the epilogue? That will be more telling than anything in the scene regarding the state of their relationship, of course, assuming there were lyrics...?

Good on you for actually respecting their wishes.

Z3M0G

Watching now. This is really amazing

One thing this makes you realize, is that TLoU is truly special because I can't think of many/any other games that you could do this with... but boy, would I LOVE to see more. Perhaps without the commentary between each scene. I'd be happy with a black out and transition between each scene, separated perhaps by a short musical piece.

You know, I didn't realize until Gustavo played "The Path" at the end of the live show, that TLoU was the best Silent Hill game since SH2. That song channeled Yamaoka a lot, and just tonally, etc... TLoU just hit the same chords i'd want a great Silent Hill to hit again.

LycanXIII

16afc853baf6b65b37ede84c6e40e546.png

Clickbait. All it is, is a summary of what happened, credited to GAF. I wouldn't be surprised if they did put up a video going against Druckmann's wishes though.

Top Bottom