• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Worst E3 trends from 1997 Computer Gaming World

Laieon

Thankfully #10 is no long a problem thanks to the "Fuck it, we'll patch it later" mentality.

What? Games are still delayed quite a bit. Bioshock: Infinite, South Park, PSO2 localization, Watch_Dogs, The Crew, there's a ton of recent examples.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Except number two, yeah, they're probably still the top nine. Maybe not the bimbo one.

Yep, we definitely have equal and proper representation of women in gaming now!

It really isn't too far off today from what we see over 16 years later. Obviously a few things are slightly different (FPS overload to RTS overload, 75 MB installs in retrospective is kind of lulzy), but honestly a lot of the trends haven't changed much, for better or worse.

I agree that many female characters still being bimbos, but I also would argue there's been progression in that area at least. However, I also had a small chuckle about the comment of what girl would want to play Tomb Raider. Mainly because while I haven't actually played the series outside of the newest reboot and Guardian of Light, most people I know who love the franchise are female.

I find the Asteroids comment about it being half-assed online particularly amusing to myself.

We've come a long way, for sure... still not there yet but I agree we've made progress.

KDR_11k

Lmao.

The only 2 things you need to change is the 75MB installs to GB and RTS for FPS and that article is applicable today absolutely shocking, the more things change the more they stay the same.

When writing about consoles though. On the PC the whole "let us try running it from the optical disc" bit doesn't apply anymore.

rtcn63

You don't want to know how mad my dad went when i bought Unreal the first time 250mb install he thought it was insane since HDD where huge at that time now there even bigger and games got even bigger as well.

I remember my cousin downloading an 8-16mb AOL installer, took almost 24 hours, and he actually ran out of space by the end.

Wow except for the 3D card confusion and RTS overload (you can whatever genre is predominant today) this still applies to today market.

MarionCB

That mag is talking about the Russian invasion in Ukraine. Visionary, in 1997

To be fair, he was talking about all the games rehashing that same scenario, so it was actually the devs that were visionary 17 years ago. This of course means the zombie apocalypse starts in 2031.

Chronoja

Wish we had that RTS overload.

We are experiencing an RTS overload....except it's manifesting in an "evolved" form of the MOBA, see League of Legends, Dota2 and the million others trying to cash in on their popularity. The genre and it's overload is there it just mutated a bit.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Ah, I lived off just a few GB's for years around that time. I still uninstall mostly everything when I'm done because of those days.

Marketing weenies and 'me too'
a guy to my liking

See, back then junnalists still had a sack and weren't sucking from mama publisher's teet

What? Back in 1997-1998 or so, 3 GB harddrives were pretty common. My first PC was around that time and I had a 3GB harddrive.

Most of those complaints are vague enough that they could be easily applied to many artistic industries.

"Me too-ism" and "bimbos", for example, are just what happens when artists chase dollar signs instead of quality.

Gattsu25

Banned
Old video game magazine articles that are relevant today?
IynbFLQ.jpg

Interesting read. Disheartening, all the same.

Nikodemos

What? Back in 1997-1998 or so, 3 GB harddrives were pretty common. My first PC was around that time and I had a 3GB harddrive.
I bought a computer in mid-1996 and it came with a 1.8 GB hard drive. That was considered reasonably high capacity. 3 GB hard drives only started appearing around 1998. The late '90s were a boom period for technological advancement. Speeds and capacities jumped up yearly.

Cess007

Wow except for the 3D card confusion and RTS overload (you can whatever genre is predominant today) this still applies to today market.

You can change RTS for FPS now, and it's the same. People complain about the saturation of shooters, but forget that there's always a genre that it's incredible popular at certain point and every developer tries to copy them (platforms, rpgs, rts, open-world, etc). It has happened in all generation, and will also happens with another genre in the future.

Everyone here is laughing at the Russian invading Ukraine trope - I think it's more amazing that their were enough flight sims back then that that was even a trope in the first place.

I also liked that the microtransactions/DLC experiment was a failure on PC for another two generations. A bunch of games tried to do it but gamers weren't having it back then. Another thing to note was the blurb about pay to play online services. That era also had pay to play online services akin to PSN and XBL today. The difference? Those services all failed.

Just interesting to note how far ahead of the curve PC gaming was at the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
B-b-but why are we only now talking about female characters guys? No-one ever had a problem with it before

To be fair, the "sexism" thing did become a thing these past few years. I don't recall a major backlash when Lara posed "naked" on the OPM cover of 1998 or so for TR2 or 3 from Core. Used shadows to hide her "naughty bits" but still the same. Sex sells and all that.

That's not to say that the talk wasn't there in the 90's. It was, but it wasn't as "noise"y as it is now a days from journalists.

Old video game magazine articles that are relevant today?

Terrifyingly precient.

To be fair, the "sexism" thing did become a thing these past few years. I don't recall a major backlash when Lara posed "naked" on the OPM cover of 1998 or so for TR2 or 3 from Core. Used shadows to hide her "naughty bits" but still the same. Sex sells and all that.

That's not to say that the talk wasn't there in the 90's. It was, but it wasn't as "noise"y as it is now a days from journalists.

And then you have the rise and fall of the desperation and classlessness. Sometimes it's uncommon and more often cheesecakey, then sometimes it's wall-to-wall bimbos that crowds its way into so many games.

Herne

replace rts with FPS and nothing has changed. that's so sad :s

We didn't have indie developers back then in nearly the same number we do now, who have been coming up with really creative games over the last few years, with the best yet to come. Games like Kerbal Space Program, FTL and Papers, Please are a part of the huge indie explosion which has really trumped many of the big boys in terms of creativity, and even they haven't been resting on their laurels, giving us game changers such as Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, with more on the way, such as Watch_Dogs, Titanfall and the like.

And then there are the games which we want to get made actually getting made due to things like Kickstarter - Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Star Citizen and the like could not have been made back then because that model was not in place. We've even managed to resurrect some of our favourite game series, such as Monkey Island and Sam'n'Max, and Telltale are doing new stuff besides, like Wolf Among Us.

The industry will likely be dominated by FPS games for a long time to come, but there's a lot more on offer besides, and it has never been a better time to be a pc gamer.

Herne

People have always been complaining about a lack of originality in this industry.

And I do mean always.

Yep. I remember it in C64 magazines. Complaints about the flood of shmups and platformers, etc. Popular genres remain popular and will be more numerous than any other type of game, and the complaints are endless.

Parallacs

The 3D card thing was huge back then. It took a lot of work to get some games to work with your card.

And the space requirements one. I remember going into random C/windows folders to delete pictures to free up the last few megabytes to install starcraft. Which was I think 70mb. Hard to do when the hard drive is 200mb.

Noema

I miss CGW. There are few things that can elicit more nostalgia than that magazine, specially circa 1993-95.

Russian invasion of Ukraine? How outrageous!

No, seriously folks... The 75 MB install cracked me up. Reading this thread about dads getting mad at games, I had that happen with Ultima 7 and Wing Commander 2. With those two games on the HDD, nothing else could be install. I think dad even had to uninstall Lotus 123.

Top Bottom