• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has Nintendo done to earn the online usage fee in 2018?

TannerDemoz

They'll drop a load of stuff on the e-store probably making it free before implementing the price charge. So, as of yet, nothing.

Aztorian

I don't see myself paying for Nintendo online services. But what makes me rage is actually the fact, that we don't have the possibility to buy VC games on the eShop, since they will be tied to the online services. I loved the VC games on the 3DS, but I won't spend s penny on the online services to get an opportunity to play them on the Switch.

Is that true?

Glass Joe

This clearly is an area where Nintendo is in over their heads. Delayed to 2018. Their Switch online phone app STILL only supports one game, which is Splatoon 2. If they had their shit together, the app would include Mario Kart, Arms, 3rd party games, and at the very least the simpler stuff like Mario Odyssey leaderboard challenges.

At this point I'd rather see them nuke any paid access and just focus on free online and making VC available with the same discount program Wii to Wii U had for Switch.

Less than zero.

But for $20 it MIGHT be worth it to eventually sub. Thing is I barely have time to game right now so I dont think I'll bother until my schedule lightens a bit.

DonF

My only online experience with the switch has been with splatoon 2 and its been less than stellar.
The matchmaking is a little bit slow, thats ok, but to play with friends is the most stupid thing ever. The lobby you use with your cellphone is shit, so we just tried the "play with friends" option in the game. The friend has to join a game, then you follow. This isnt garanteed to work cause sometimes the game fills fast or the person joins last, closing the lobby. So you have to wait 3 minutes to join. After that, if you get in the same lobby, there is no guarantee you will end up in the same team. If you end up in the same team, there is no identifier for your friend like many games.

So yes, kinda barebones...

LordRaptor

Activision get a cut of XBL fees, so you have to assume that EA do too, and you then have to further assume that they also get a cut of PSN fees.

But given neither of them have done much in the way of supporting the switch with their online titles, its possible that Nintendo will delay implementing any online fees until they do.

We can't message friends and we don't even have a proper voicechat. I'm not paying $20 a year until those two get fixed at least.

I've had this conversation with a few people; currently, Nintendo have done absolutely nothing to warrant paying for an online service.

In fact, thanks for reminding me; I need to get Splatoon 2 soon, so I can play that while it's still free, because at the moment, I certainly don't plan on paying to play online, when it's the only game with online I remotely care about (Mario Kart DX is fun, but that's been playable online for years).

I'm loving the Switch, but for me it's a single-player orientated system.

Not sure what Microsoft and Sony has done to earn the fee either to be perfectly honest.

How about giving away games every month? Or having a large number of online games worth playing? Or offering proper voice chat?

No extra fee to play your games online are justified. That’s why I don’t pay psn plus an not Xbox live. My pc is my hub for all games an it don’t require extra costs.

Consoles are only for exclusives for me an then I decide if it’s worth online fee

dezzy8

It needs to be free for another year or two. They still don't have a decent voice chat option. Their current solution is complete trash. Friend codes are still stupid.

What has any console maker done to justify it ? MS and Sony can't even keep microtransactions and loot boxes from their first party games despite the fact that we pay them like $40 a year just to be able to play online.

Nintendo, (just like the other 2) are charging because they can. Because they know there are people that will pay to play the online modes in MK8, Splatoon, Rocket Legue and at some point Smash and Pokemon.
The console continues to sell great even after revealing their paid online plan and I bet they have run the numbers and decided it's better to have 30% of users playing online and paying than having 80% playing for free.
Yeah I'm guessing by adding a few Nintendo can now claim premium online. I can't imagine more than an incredibly small number of people playing online games on a Nintendo console especially unlocked. Considering how voice chat works Nintendo clearly doesn't think so either but you may as well rake in easy money.

Mooreberg

The same thing Microsoft and Sony have done to earn it - nothing. But that's why it will work. People checked their brains at the door on this stuff fifteen years ago.

ViolentP

How about giving away games every month? Or having a large number of online games worth playing? Or offering proper voice chat?

You mean games you can only play while you pay? Wouldn't exactly call that giving it away. Also, large number of online games worth playing and proper voice chat are free elsewhere. So my confusion still stands.

Blam

You mean games you can only play while you pay? Wouldn't exactly call that giving it away. Also, large number of online games worth playing and proper voice chat are free elsewhere. So my confusion still stands.

PS+ AND GWG is the same.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wonder how long the wii-U will be free to play online?

If Nintendo did a few free recent and decent games per month some access to gba/SNES games like with psn or Xbox live gold then maybe I’ll bite tbh I play games more offline. Possibly splatoon 2 and Mario kart would be the main games I play online

ThaPhantom

When Smash has a functional online multiplayer experience on Switch and Pokemon comes out with a more fleshed out online experience on Switch I will pay for it. Until then I can do without.

Yu Furealdo

At least they're only charging $20 a year for it. I'd rather pay that (though I probably won't) than purchase PS+ or XBL subscriptions.

EdgeXL

Nintendo has done just as much as Microsoft or Sony to "earn" the fee for online usage.

Put simply, not a damn thing.

DZ_b_EZ

"What has Nintendo done to earn the online usage fee in 2018?"

They brought sexy back.
That costs money.

The same thing Microsoft and Sony have done to earn it - nothing. But that's why it will work. People checked their brains at the door on this stuff fifteen years ago.

Sony had pretty amazing lineup of games included in price during best ps3/vita years.

edge2

Neo Member
I've currently played 270h Splatoon 2 and 105h Mario Kart 8D online and I'm still not done with Splatoon 2. I'm also looking forward to the "Better Together" update of Minecraft, this will add some additional online hours.
Concerning online, they have not done much, it just works for the games I've mentioned as long as you just want to play against random people from the internet and you don't want to chat/speak to them - this is fine for me.

Vitacat

The really crappy thing about this service is that it may become the only way to backup your save games on Switch.

Which is still better than what we have now, which is nothing. But yeah, pay the fee or no backups for you.

Junahu

This clearly is an area where Nintendo is in over their heads. Delayed to 2018. Their Switch online phone app STILL only supports one game, which is Splatoon 2. If they had their shit together, the app would include Mario Kart, Arms, 3rd party games, and at the very least the simpler stuff like Mario Odyssey leaderboard challenges.

At this point I'd rather see them nuke any paid access and just focus on free online and making VC available with the same discount program Wii to Wii U had for Switch.
It's not delayed because they can't do it sooner. It's delayed until after the holidays as a deliberate trap for consumers. They're selling a swathe of multiplayer focused games, on a console that ostensibly lacks a subscription service, and the average person isn't going to see the "well actually we're going to charge a fee soon" small print when they buy it.
By the time they roll out the subscription, people will have invested time and money into these games, thus making it a more tempting proposition to cough up the dough.

The phone app is admittedly just Nintendo being brazenly incompetant.

Acerac

Banned

I wish I had something to add, but pretty much this. Kind of sucks that this is the situation the market is in, but it feels a bit late to start complaining now.

It sucks horribly, but if I wish to use a console online I don't have a choice. The fact that the service is cheaper than the alternatives is a very minor solace. =/

royox

Same can be said for PS4 and XBOX online. It was free (PS) generation before why not now?

Yeah yeah free games. I'd rather have free online than those games I can buy for cheap later on.

Same can't be said because I've never heard/read someone saying he pays PS+/Gold because he thinks he owes that to Sony/Microsoft lol.

zenspider

It's 20 bucks, please fix OP.

Splatoon 2, Rocket League, MK8, and whatever the retro games are plenty worth it for me personally.

I'm interested in that Chinese MOBA (King Clash of Wars or something), and my fingers are crossed for eventual ports of Mario Maker, XCX, and Smash - all which have online components.

There might be more in the pipeline we'll hopefully find out about in a January Direct.

In short, they "earned it" by killing it with the Switch so far.

Bickle2

I don't think Nintendo has really shown any worth to their idea of a paid online system at the moment but obviously they also haven't shared their full vision of it either.

The biggest problem I see Nintendo having is merging the phone app and Switch in an organic way. Its a pretty safe guess the phone app is being positioned as the hub of the online service, but so far the only (major) function is voice chat in Splatoon 2. Unless you play Splatoon 2 at a pro level you would likely never open the app. I don't think I have since maybe a day or two after it released. Nintendo need to make the app appealing and feature packed enough to make the hassle of using it and paying to play online worthwhile to the average user.

Now I know Nintendo is jumpy about online communication and slow to add features, but I guess by the time of launch this is what I want to see:
1. Global communication. Be able to talk and message people on your friend list at any time through the app. Not just in specific games.
2. Bluetooth audio streaming. The Switch should be able to stream audio to a users phone for voice chat. Not require them to use multiple messy cables.
3. Integrated shopping. The eShop is already available online. Allow me to buy through the app.
4. Play history. Nintendo records your play history but requires you to use both the Switch and the parental control app to get the most thorough breakdown. Both sets of information should be available from the app.
5. We already know online enabled VC is coming, but I'l list it here anyway.
6. My Nintendo integration. Same as with the integrated shopping, I should be able to perform all of the My Nintendo functions from within the app.

That said, I've fully prepared myself for the online service simply being online VC titles, more individual sub-sites in the app and a yearly disappointing drain on my wallet.

Nintendo doesn’t care about online. It’s not popular in Japan, it’s expensive, and equally importantly, they don’t know how to do it. That’s why they hired a firm that specializes in online commerce to do it for WiiU (Online is online right?). They outsourced to DeNa who is building something as cheaply as possible. Everything is server based. Doing centralized systems is much more expensive and hard. So every game handles everything but central account services/friends on its own. once again Nintendo has to discover 2007 themselves, as Sony did the same thing sans outsourcing.

There’s no way to do wireless headphones on the Switch, except via WiFi direct, which I’m doubting it supports.

Understand. Nintendo bought the Shield 2 off the shelf, nodded it a bit and shipped it. They don’t understand the online world, they really don’t understand anything. Asking them to match features with the other consoles is a waste of time. Don’t buy from Nintendo until they go third party, and let thr adults handle the heavy lifting so they do what they do best.

Yes I know many will see this as “hate”, but it’s simply the facts of the matter. And so long as thr people who rose in thr Super Famicom days are setting policy in Kyoto, and more importantly doing their market research by looking out the window it will remain so.

Nintendo doesn’t care about online. It’s not popular in Japan, it’s expensive, and equally importantly, they don’t know how to do it. That’s why they hired a firm that specializes in online commerce to do it for WiiU (Online is online right?). They outsourced to DeNa who is building something as cheaply as possible. Everything is server based. Doing centralized systems is much more expensive and hard. So every game handles everything but central account services/friends on its own. once again Nintendo has to discover 2007 themselves, as Sony did the same thing sans outsourcing.

There’s no way to do wireless headphones on the Switch, except via WiFi direct, which I’m doubting it supports.

Understand. Nintendo bought the Shield 2 off the shelf, nodded it a bit and shipped it. They don’t understand the online world, they really don’t understand anything. Asking them to match features with the other consoles is a waste of time. Don’t buy from Nintendo until they go third party, and let thr adults handle the heavy lifting so they do what they do best.

Yes I know many will see this as “hate”, but it’s simply the facts of the matter. And so long as thr people who rose in thr Super Famicom days are setting policy in Kyoto, and more importantly doing their market research by looking out the window it will remain so.

I love the Switch. But... You're not wrong. This is actually a good post. Nintendo is utterly clueless when it comes to online. Their system is really an after thought and not worthy of paying a sub fee.

If Nintendo were smart they'd forego it entirely, when the Switch Pro releases they can begin to poach Xbox One & PS4 players that want free online.

So long as Switch doesn't have Overwatch, COD, Battlefield, FIFA, PUBG, Destiny and the like then Nintendo isn't going to eat make any significant portion of PS4 and Xbox One's multiplayer base. Even with free online.

Bickle2

So long as Switch doesn't have Overwatch, COD, Battlefield, FIFA, PUBG, Destiny and the like then Nintendo isn't going to eat make any significant portion of PS4 and Xbox One's multiplayer base. Even with free online.

It’s far too late for that. People have their friends lists, they have their digital game libraries. No one could make a compelling enough product to get Nintendo into the race since their hardware is so outdated. That’s ehy attempting multiplats there is always a waste of time. There’s the initial bump, and then it flatlines because everyone who has a Switch has a PS4 or X1, where the controls, the graphics, and the online experience will always be far superior. S soon as support dollars, 360 titles, and ID tech games (Carmack designed it to be hugely scalable) run out, so do thr ports as they’re way too expensive to make custom versions for Switch.

Top Bottom