• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I would like to believe I was right and PS4 wins March, I never could of expected what is happening.

1. Xbox has more stock
2. $100 off with free Forza
3. $70 off with free Titanfall and free month of gold

Free publicity on slickdeals, cheapassgamer, and more.

The price drops combined with free game will have a HUGE impact. If they don't, it is over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

It's simply what I'm thinking. Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend. Combine that with the launch of Titanfall, a game of which many people believe it is only available on XB1, and they are sure to sell even more XB1s than last month.
Last but not least, the Xbox One has been 'on sale' in a lot of stores. Some stores offer coupons, others simply sell the Xbox One for a lower price. Hell, I even saw a thread here where Amazon was selling the Xbox One with Forza for $399. People jump on that: "wow, it's $100 off, quickly buy it!"
So there it is. Three reasons on why I think Microsoft will do better, much better, than Sony this month.

If we look at Sony, supply is getting slightly better but not much. I think the best Sony can do is slightly better than what they did last month - but that won't be enough to stay ahead of XB1. At least not in March.

I get what you're saying. That said, I don't own an XB1. I do own a PS4.

My feeling. See above.

From this, I get that MS *has* to win march. If they don't, despite titanfall, despite price cuts..then they're fucked without a huge price cut from MS

..and I don't think they will win March. Sony are shipping too many units in

Another risk is if Xbox one becomes a box that people don't want to buy. In that situation,even price cuts may not move units.

Winternet

Banned
Microsoft is playing with fire here. If they'll stick with the price cut and make it official, Sony will do the same.
Microsoft will never be able to compete with Sony price-wise until they unbundle Kinect.
Since Sony is now charging for online multiplayer, it will be a lot easier for them to do a price cut, expect a 50$ price cut by the end of the year/early next year IF Microsot will keep their 450$ price tag.

lazydom

How much can MS drop the price of the xbone by removing kinect? Surely that's a shit tonne of R&D money down the tubes? I mean they spent, what? $100 just redesigning the controller how much did kinect 2 cost?

bebop242

From this, I get that MS *has* to win march. If they don't, despite titanfall, despite price cuts..then they're fucked without a huge price cut from MS

Another risk is if Xbox one becomes a box that people don't want to buy. In that situation,even price cuts may not move units.

Yea, it seems like they are banking on the fact that pricing is the ultimate reason why ps4 is outpacing them.

Not convinced thats the case.

The March results will be fascinating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yea, it seems like they are banking on the fact that pricing is the ultimate reason why ps4 is outpacing them.

Not convinced thats the case.

The March results will be fascinating.

I'm sure being cheaper than PS4 would be beneficial. But I'm not sure having price parity would help right now. PS4 has the goodwill, has the momentum.

quetz67

Banned
Sorry, but stores doing additional price cuts with the Titanfall bundle already been kind of an official one doesn't sound like Xbone is flying off shells.

On Amazon, PS4 rules March sales with the Titanfall bundle being on #12. Amazon not selling out would mean huge supply unless demand dropped suddenly (unlikely with a well selling Infamous).

And Amazon being supplied means other retailers are too. So with low availability the PS4 must be selling good there too.

Only thing in Xbones favor is that many might buy one who were holding out for a pricedrop. But actually the only news about Xbone sales comes from the UK, no MS bragging about sales increase in the US (which I believe is du to the fact that many already bought one for Titanfall in February).

I say it again, serve me many dishes of crows if Xbone wins March. My prediction is PS4 > 500K and Xbone between 300K and 500K.

EGM1966

I will say this though. It's bigger news if the PS4 outsells the Xbone, than the Xbone outselling the PS4 in March.

I agree. Given the price drop deals all over the place, game bundling, etc. you really would expect XB1 to sell more at least temporarily. If PS4 can still exceed it (or even match it) in sales in US then it's going to get very interesting in that market.

chrislowe

As much as I would like to believe I was right and PS4 wins March, I never could of expected what is happening.

1. Xbox has more stock

The price drops combined with free game will have a HUGE impact. If they don't, it is over.

I was shocked to see the xbox one cost as much as the ps3 in sweden. Guess the margin on ps4 is pretty good then.

atpbx

I don't know if I am reading it right but the first mention of the xbox one and Titan fall on UK amazon best sellers as of today, is the x1 Titan fall game at number 8, the Titanfall bundle is at 32.

This doesn't strike me as a game or system that is catching fire to any degree.

bombshell

I can only speak for myself, but it already is a box that I will never want to buy, no matter what. Yes, I already have a PS4.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
From what I have gathered reading this thread is that Microsoft might end up winning March NPD (which I wouldn't be surprised if they did) but that's with heavy discounts and a lot of marketing (both from MS and stores who desperately want to sell stock). So, what we have is a situation where MS is selling it up to a $150 loss per unit from retail price. Meanwhile Sony is still making the same projected dollars per sold unit. Is this victory something MS is really proud of?

Yea, I used to frequent that site until I discovered Neogaf last year. If anything, they
need better moderation; it was like Gamefaqs at certain times. Their numbers are super
suspicious though, which is unfortunate because a proper site dedicated to sales would
have been great.

And yet you still offered it up as evidence of an xbone win this month?

I know it's early buy if they lose March, what else can Microsoft really do? Cut the price again? I wouldn't even be surprised if people will wait it out considering how quickly they cut the price once.

m@cross

Boom?

The release of InFamous: Second Son has given PS4 hardware sales a big jump in the UK.

MCV has been told by a trusted retail source that sales of PS4 consoles jumped 106 per cent last week as exclusive title InFamous: Second Son debuted on Sony’s machine, jumping straight to No.1 in the process.

That’s a bigger jump than Xbox One enjoyed following the release of Titanfall – that saw sales of Microsoft’s machine jump 96 per cent.

InFamous today debuted at No.1 in the UKIE GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-hardware-sales-jump-106-on-infamous-second-son-launch/0130068

orochi91

And yet you still offered it up as evidence of an xbone win this month?

Lol no i was joking about the VG chartz part, but I still feel XBO will win by at least
50k-80K through the combination of promotions/price-cuts/unholy titanfall obsession
by the gaming media. I imagine the reasons are similar in the UK, but difference will be about 20K in favor of the XBO.

Kysen

Should be an easy X1 win this month, never underestimate how well dudebro sells in the US. TF alone would have granted the win, but price cuts on top would have swayed many.

Should be an easy X1 win this month, never underestimate how well dudebro sells in the US. TF alone would have granted the win, but price cuts on top would have swayed many.

Hoping to see a lot more people in NPD prediction thread this month. Put a number to the "easy win", it never turns out the way you think.

Fehyd

Banned
Sony is really sending a lot of systems to retail now. My district had something like 190 units getting shipped to stores in the district, and that's the second shipment for the week.

We've also been getting a few boxes drop shipped as well.

orochi91

Sony is really sending a lot of systems to retail now. My district had something like 190 units getting shipped to stores in the district, and that's the second shipment for the week.

How much of that stock has been sold so far?

noobie

Banned

it will be better if you tell how much you got shipped in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb.. to get the better idea if the shipment is increasing and if so by how much..

and what about the customer response.. are they still selling out before the arrival of the next shipment?

Stare-Bear

Banned
Sony is still selling every unit they make. Microsoft is not... Sony has already won Europe and the UK. If Microsoft really sold that well, as everybody is speculating, they would've let us know by now.

Slashlen

Do they? There are at least 999 in Amazon.com warehouses, I am sure there are some in Japan, southern European countries are reported to have quite some stock.

Even when something is considered sold out, it's not unusual to have a few spots where they shipped too many and basically didn't allocate right. It's generally not significant.

Regarding Amazon, we'll have to see if it lasts. Sony has shown that they can fully supply some stores, but they have probably diverted every unit they reasonably can to NA/UK this month. They can't keep that up. Amazon could very well dry up again after March when Sony changes their allocations again.

We should have a much better idea in April after all of these March variables are done with.

Majmun

OUYA outselling the Titanfall bundle in the Amazon chart
iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

1. Xbox has more stock

IMHO 1+2+3 means that sales were nowhere near intended target.

And if ps4 still wins then Microsoft will be spending next 5 years trying to keep Sony domination at merely PS1 and not PS2 levels.

Raist

Banned
As of 20:07 UK time

More than 999 of the standard.
Only 211 of the AC4 bundle
Only 3 of the Infamous bundle - EDIT this is not from Amazon but from a 3rd party.

On Monday, Amazon (themselves) had over 300 ISS bundles. Sold out at the end of that day. There were a bunch of third party retailers then, the first of them having 30 bundles. This one and others are gone too, because they were selling for £395.
There were also over 999 AC4 bundles.

Dat thirst.

this is like watching ps3 vs xbox 360 all over again. titanfall is mgs4.

i personally expect xbone to win march in north america, but lose worldwide. after 2 months sales will go back to normal levels

Sony is still selling every unit they make. Microsoft is not... Sony has already won Europe and the UK. If Microsoft really sold that well, as everybody is speculating, they would've let us know by now.

They arent going to let people know how they sold in March,especially when March isn't over.

Mrbob

I don't understand the projection of Feb sales to March. Sure the XB1 was close, but we don't know where the PS4 cap is. The system was still virtually sold out in Feb. It is possible the PS4 could have sold over 400K in Feb had there been enough supply.

I have no idea who will "win" March, but basing a prediction off of Feb numbers seems like a bad idea. MS does need a big win. If it is only a close win or a loss I don't see how MS plans to overcome Sony long term in their strongest territory.

Alchemy

They arent going to let people know how they sold in March,especially when March isn't over.

If TitanFall was a smash hit we'd already being seeing hard numbers being paraded around.

The fact that there are so many deals out there for the Xbone right now just makes it obvious that retailers are trying to dump stock, which isn't a positive thing this early in the systems life cycle.

I suspect the numbers will be very close this month, when the reality is that Microsoft should have easily won it.

If TitanFall was a smash hit we'd already being seeing hard numbers being paraded around.

The fact that there are so many deals out there for the Xbone right now just makes it obvious that retailers are trying to dump stock, which isn't a positive thing this early in the systems life cycle.

I suspect the numbers will be very close this month, when the reality is that Microsoft should have easily won it.

I meant for the hardware,not titanfall.

Pop

I really believe if TF was selling so well we would have already heard Microsoft shouting about it.

N.Domixis

Banned
One thing that has Ben confirmed is that Titan fall was not a system seller lol. Why else are they cutting prices after the supposed return of Jesus in video game form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom