• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaidenZR

1VWTK12.gif

He needs the banana in his hand.

Thraktor

I was so hoping the re-release of Four Swords last year was going to have online. Dreams were dashed very quickly though.

So I've just come to expect Nintendo to never grow out of their "no online MP" shell (except for the two titles I mentioned). Just imagine if they expanded on what franchises had online MP. Mario Party, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc.

But nope. :(

Mario Party is entirely built around local multiplayer, I just can't see online suiting it at all. And as far as Star Fox and F-Zero are concerned, they'd have to actually make Star Fox and F-Zero games before they can put online multiplayer in them :p

Sadist

If this really is more about easing the fears of investors, it is more likely that we get a Wii Sports U announement than a Monolith Soft announcement.
They could announce that during a investors meeting.

Nintendo Direct... is for a different audience

Took this from a user on Smashboards (thanks TheCreator). I didn't even think about this at the time.

So guys. Not meaning to backtrack. But I recently found this, as I said, and as usual quite a bit late:
ibwrOOFJAo8xCw.jpg

And now, there's Resident Evil: Revelations for the Wii U:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/resident_evil_revelations_set_to_infest_wii_u

It could be a coincidence, but personally, I hope it isnt. I would think the other games on that list would get a reveal tomorrow.

Does this mean we will see Yoshi Wii U tomorrow? Seems like the kind of mid-level project they would have no problem revealing before E3.

skypunch

Banned
Nintendo really need to shed some more light on future titles. If Wii U sales really are slowing down in the US then I feel slightly more optimistic about this next ND.

Let this be the one, Nintendo.

Davey Cakes

I don't want to get too hyped, but I feel like Nintendo really needs to give people more reasons to buy the Wii U. The awesomeness of Nintendo Land can only go so far. The remedy, of course, is a showcase of GAMES. Owners and prospective buyers need to know what's coming.

So I expect a few interesting tidbits out of this Direct, at least. Something tells me the whole thing won't be mindblowing but they're not going to squander a chance to get people talking again.

Took this from a user on Smashboards. I didn't even think about this at the time.

Does this mean we will see Yoshi Wii U tomorrow?

That along with Monolith Soft's new project, at the very least, along with some new services and a re-mention of their current titles in development.

That would fulfill Nintendo's promise of "revealing new first-party games."

If they're not going to go all out with a huge amount of pre-E3 announcements to calm investors, that's probably what will happen.

No point in waiting for E3 to announce Yoshi's Land Wii U since it's already out in the open.

Do some people have the feeling that this Direct will be to counter the slower sales of Wii U in the west, along with the recent leaks of the other two next-gen systems' specs? I know Nintendo isn't ignorant to what goes on in the video-game industry.

Well, yeah. They have internet at Nintendo lol. Obviously they know what's going on. Even Kaz Harai of Sony spoke to the press to address the rumors, saying he wants Microsoft to make the first move, in reference to when these consoles get announced.

This is likely more about announcing some anticipated games ahead of the investors meeting next week, as Iwata will have to admit to them at that meeting that there is no way Nintendo is going to sell another 2 1/2 million Wii U's by the end of March. This will help the stock price from completely tanking.

Revven

I bet more people think that than you dare give credit to. Take off your hardcore gamer hat for a minute and realize that hardcore gamers are only a small fraction of the overall gamers.

Yeah I'm aware, but it makes me seriously go WAT when they announce MP for a handheld game and it's only local MP. I understand for some of their console games why they'd rather focus on local MP, because with a console you're expected to have friends over sometimes. But for a handheld game, it's a rarity (at least for me) to invite friends over to play Star Fox MP. Much less find anyone with a 3DS randomly who would suddenly be open to playing part of the game I can never play. :(

TriGen

How many do you expect to be announced?

I do think two is realistic. They could sandwich them around some new info on previously announced games and have a really good ND. That's if the two are core Nintendo franchises. I'm just thinking about their main first-party developers, obviously their could be more stuff if they throw third-party or small titles into the mix.

That happened on NeoGAF. It may, it may not.

I know the event did--I was there for the entire event--but I did not draw a connection between the Resident Evil: Revelations title and that image until that user brought it up. Only reinforces in my mind that the Yoshi Wii U project probably is a real title, and one that will likely be highlighted by Iwata tomorrow.

Revven

That along with Monolith Soft's new project, at the very least, along with some new services and a re-mention of their current titles in development.

That would fulfill Nintendo's promise of "revealing new first-party games."

If they're not going to go all out with a huge amount of pre-E3 announcements to calm investors, that's probably what will happen.

No point in waiting for E3 to announce Yoshi's Land Wii U since it's already out in the open.

I would be satisfied with those announcements, for sure.

I don't want to get too hyped, but I feel like Nintendo really needs to give people more reasons to buy the Wii U. The awesomeness of Nintendo Land can only go so far. The remedy, of course, is a showcase of GAMES. Owners and prospective buyers need to know what's coming.

So I expect a few interesting tidbits out of this Direct, at least. Something tells me the whole thing won't be mindblowing but they're not going to squander a chance to get people talking again.

With the Investor's Meeting coming up, I think they are well aware of this. I mean Trinen left how long ago? It's been about 6 weeks since Reggie said he had left to Japan

Kacho

Gold Member
I do think two is realistic. They could sandwich them around some new info on previously announced games and have a really good ND. That's if the two are core Nintendo franchises. I'm just thinking about their main first-party developers, obviously their could be more stuff if they throw third-party or small titles into the mix.

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, I agree. Two is definitely realistic for Nintendo first-party.

Sadist

Man imagine if they actually announced Yoshi's Island for Wii U

I would cry manly tears and dance around the house

But that won't ever happen :(

TriGen

I know the event did--I was there for the entire event--but I did not draw a connection between the Resident Evil: Revelations title and that image until that user brought it up. Only reinforces in my mind that the Yoshi Wii U project probably is a real title, and one that will likely be highlighted by Iwata tomorrow.

Since this ND has been announced my main feeling is that Yoshi's Land would be revealed. As it would be a great first-party announcement, while at the same time it isn't the type of game that you need to save for E3.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that we care about E3 far more than Nintendo does. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually stop turning up for it.

Look at Pokemon X+Y, for example. That would have been an E3 Megaton. The game isn't coming until the end of the year.
I think the Pokemon announcement could also be a factor of that it too early to announce it at E3 2012 (Pokemon Black & White 2 wasnt out then in Europe and US at this time), and too late to announce it at E3 2013 (the game is comming out in October).

Kacho

Gold Member
Man imagine if they actually announced Yoshi's Island for Wii U

I would cry manly tears and dance around the house

But that won't ever happen :(

*shakes Sadist violently*

Believe goddammit. BELIEVE! What happened to you, man? Look at yourself! You're a mess!

And then maybe they'll drop a mention of Wii U VC or something.

Dude, I sure hope so.

I think the Pokemon announcement could also be a factor of that it too early to annoince it at E3 2012 (Pokemon Black & White 2 wasnt out then in Europe and US at this time), and too late to announce it at E3 2013 (the game is comming out in October).

So by this logic any game coming out in the latter half of this year could be announced before E3

Meelow

Banned
I really wouldn't be shocked if Yoshi's Land gets announced tomorrow, from that picture and how Resident Evil got announced for Wii U, Yoshi's Land seems likely.

If it does get announced would this mean Metal Gear Solid is coming to Wii U?

I really wouldn't be shocked if Yoshi's Land gets announced tomorrow, from that picture and how Resident Evil got announced for Wii U, Yoshi's Land seems likely.

It could have been referring to Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D for the 3DS. Another 3DS game (Soul Hackers) was on that list as well.

Hmm... I hadn't considered... Choo Choo!

test_account

XP-39C²
So by this logic any game coming out in the latter half of this year could be announced before E3
Absolutely. There is no rules on when a game can be announced before it gets released. It wont be the case for every game of course, but it is definitelly possible =) In Nintendo's case, we already knew about stuff like Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 a long time before they get released. Besides, announcing games at E3 that comes out the same year is more rare than common.

Frodo

If they drop a megaton in this Direct, does it mean E3 will be full of megatons?!

Can the hype train depart already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom