• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Solune

kamiya1.png

kamiya2.png

kamiya4.png
kamiya3.png

First, Kamiya says he doesnt see any magazine previews, says stores aren't promoting the game because they don't really understand what it is. There aren't enough ads or awareness he says its not a cheap game to make either, he estimates that in terms of manpower and resources, they spent 1.5 times what they did on Bayonetta 1*. He says in terms of "no one really gets the game, so there isnt a lot of hype" its similar to Okami**

Poor Kamiya. RIP Wonderful 101
kamiyabonus.png

I'm still catching up on the thread but I felt I should put this here. Please visit this thread and tweet about it or W101 in general to have people find out more about it

If only there were a thread where the op detailed all the information about the game that we knew about and showed plenty of amazing gifs so that people can see the higlights of the trailer immediately...

Oh lookitdis:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=587581&page=100000&highlight=the+wonderful+101+love+thread

You're welcome gaf.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There's going to be a Direct dedicated to the game soon, no?

Forkball

To be fair, I don't really get the game either. It's like some sort of RTS action game? I'm not sure if you can solely blame Nintendo on the confusion, the developers can also push their games in their own ways. Though perhaps Nintendo has restrictions on Platinum talking about their game, so maybe that could be the cause for concern.

web01

In the age of the Internet developers need to be much more proactive in promoting and hyping their own games. I have seen them doing shit all.

trinest

They haven't proved its a solid game unlike the most resent game AR. As a consumer this is a big issue for me.

duckroll

The problem with Directs is that they are basically targeting the people who will probably already know about the game, or have already decided to get it. It's internet marketing, which is cheap and replies mostly on word of mouth. That doesn't help at all with the masses, or with general awareness.

In the age of the Internet developers need to be much more proactive in promoting and hyping their own games. I have seen them doing shit all.

What can they really do? Nintendo's publishing it and presumably owns the IP, so Platinum can't just go off and start releasing media and other content unless Nintendo okays it.

zoukka

It's a sad situation all around. If and when 101 and Bayo 2 bomb, I hope Platinum gets picked up by someone.

Kamiya make a kickstarter of some sort, I'll back you the fuck out.

gngf123

It's a blend of RTS and Action. Think of pikmin but a much faster rate :p

There really isn't much RTS at all from what I can see. It's just a straight up squad based action game.

But yeah, it's sad but this is seemingly what happens with Nintendo time and time again.

I think it says something Nintendo didn't even bother to have it in their conference last year.

Didn't Reggie personally talk it up in a post conference single game reveal exclusive to gametrailers? Frankly the fact that it was given its own brief hype and its own reveal sort of set it apart as something special to me. I feel like its maintained pretty good visibility since its announcement too. It does say something though that it took me until spring this year to gather that it was a beat 'em up.

Sendou

Isn't it getting it's own direct?

Yeah but it hardly matters since it's (Direct) aimed for the crowd that already knows about the game. Ads on stores, previews and such bring the awareness to the general public. That doesn't come with just Directs.

JordanN

Banned
Isn't that the Publisher's job? A developer's core responsibility is making games, not being marketers.

Zenaku

Didn't Pikmin start to have its marketing ramped up a week or two ago?

It's far enough away to not be concerned. If he can't help it, he needs to talk to Iwata directly in the eventual Iwata Asks, or start making trailers/play videos to put on the eShop.

duckroll

He actually addresses this director. He is not allowed to say anything which isn't officially announced by Nintendo first. There are things he would like to share with fans but he cannot because of contractual agreements. Nintendo as the publisher controls the marketing and he cannot say anything about the content without prior approval. His hands are tied, which is why he's feeling a bit frustrated now I guess.

pa22word

Can't wait to see his reaction when he sees the US release date. Game going to be flatlined by GTAV. Don't worry Kamiya, I'll still be there day1 though regardless of Ninty's asinine release and marketing policies...even if I'm one of the only ones to do so =\

It's getting it's own Direct. Kamiya should also promote it more on twitter instead of replying to every single tweet he gets. Learn from JP Kellams:

uvlQKkM.png

I'm not sure what it's about either. I don't think that's necessarily Nintendo's fault. Platinum is to blame for making a weird game that doesn't look appealing enough for me to research.

Sakujou

Banned
oh man, poor kamiya and platinum games... they dont deserve this...

as far as it goes for nintendo... welp that game is super hardcore... i dont think its easy to advertise this game.

still this is fucking nintendo. they can do everything, why is it a problem buying core-games from one of the worlds best devs and then leave it beyond hell???

man i dont want the game to bomb-.-

Yep. Not sure what he expected from nintendo. Then again, I can't say that. There was a considerable amount of awareness for Madworld I guess right?

cacildo

This is another game that will bomb but become the best game in the world according to GAF.

It really looks great now, but i bet it will be a Okami situation or Muramasa situation all over again for me (meaning: everybody loves it and i hate it)

Liamario

Banned
Didn't Reggie personally talk it up in a post conference single game reveal exclusive to gametrailers? Frankly the fact that it was given its own brief hype and its own reveal sort of set it apart as something special to me. I feel like its maintained pretty good visibility since its announcement too. It does say something though that it took me until spring this year to gather that it was a beat 'em up.
This is the Internet though. Reggie would only be hyping it up for those who are already going to buy it or are on the fence.

Into

As many have said, Directs are for hardcore enthusiast fans of Nintendo products, they do not reach much else. And they need more than that

I really dig the game's art style, but i can see why people might be confused as to what it actually is, how it plays.

This is as much a Nintendo game as Luigi's Mansion 2 or Metroid: Other M was. It absolutely is Nintendo's job to be promoting and hyping Wonderful 101.

baekshi

Banned
This wouldn't have been a problem if you brought it to other consoles. But since Nintendo is publishing....

I'm not saying it's right but it's not unusual at all for nintendo to wait until a month until release to start promoting the games they publish. It's really nothing new.

Brashnir

Everyone who understands this sentence already knows about the game. The people who need to know about the game have no idea, and will never have any idea what "a Direct" is.

Top Bottom